2018 Presidential Election

g990RZB.png

Sunday, October 13th 2019

James Lancaster, Number 3 Republican in Senate, dead at 75

The family of Senator James Lancaster (R-KY) announced today that the senator died last night at his Owensboro home. Lancaster reportedly had been feeling "under the weather" and retired early, and when his wife tried to wake him, was unresponsive. Emergency medical services were called, but Lancaster was pronounced dead after their arrival. An autopsy will be performed to discover the exact cause of death.

Senators from both parties expressed their shock and sadness at Lancaster's sudden passing. Senate Majority Leader Cody Riley (R-AL) said that Lancaster was a "solid, dependable and dedicated public servant", while Kentucky's other senator, Calvin Bowles (D-KY) lamented the loss of a "dear friend and colleague". Lancaster's opposite on the Senate Ethics Committee, Vice Chair Chris Casey (D-CT) said he would miss Lancaster's "frank and straightforward way of assessing and solving problems".

Lancaster had represented Kentucky since 2005, replacing future Labor Secretary George "Hawk" Fuller, and has been chair of the Senate Republican Conference since 2015. Before he was a powerful senator, Lancaster was a boy from Owensboro, born there in 1944. After graduating from the University of Kentucky in 1966, he joined the Marine Corps as an officer and served three tours in Vietnam, fighting at Khe Sanh and at numerous other locations all over South Vietnam. He would retire as a captain in 1973, and was always reticent to discuss his wartime experiences. After returning home, he and his wife Jackie used money inherited from her father to buy out several appliance stores in Owensboro and consolidate them into J&J Appliances, which still has several locations throughout Kentucky today.

He began his political career in 1996, winning his first term as mayor of Owensboro after being persuaded to run by other members of the local Chamber of Commerce. Lancaster's deft handling of a police corruption scandal and revitalization of Owensboro's downtown district led to his name being floated for higher office, and when Fuller announced that he would not seek reelection in 2004, Lancaster embarked on a remarkable and methodical campaign to introduce himself to Republican voters across the state. The effort worked, and he won both the primary election and general election against Democratic Representative Matthew Perkins.

While in the Senate, Lancaster's laconic demeanor and solid Republican voting record endeared him to party leaders, although his spirited defense of tobacco companies led some to be wary of raising him up the party's leadership ranks. West Virginia Governor Ray Sullivan, however, was not deterred by this, and in his unsuccessful primary bid against Glen Allen Walken in 2010, Sullivan announced that he would select Lancaster as his running mate. After Walken was elected president, Lancaster slowly moved up the party's Senate leadership ranks, becoming the number 3 member of the party in the Senate and chair of the Senate Ethics Committee in 2017 when the Republicans retook the Senate.

Governor Ed Barrie (R-KY) will nominate a replacement for Lancaster, who will serve until a special election next year to fill the remainder of the term. When the Senate reconvenes on Tuesday, it is likely that Republican leaders will elect Lancaster's successors as both chair of the Senate Republican Committee and chair of the Senate Ethics Committee. Per the US Code, President Seaborn has ordered all flags lowered to half-mast for the remainder of the day in Lancaster's honor.

DjeHkLv.jpg

James Lancaster, 1944-2019 (photo by: Robert Forster)

200px-BBC_World_News_red.svg.png

Tuesday, 15 October 2019

Muzenda lands in Libya amid suspicion of involvement in coup attempt

Vice President and First Lady of Equatorial Kundu Adeola Muzenda landed in Libya ahead of what her supporters describe as a "smear campaign" that tied her to an attempted coup against her husband, President Uzochi Nzele, in September. The flight, which took off from the capital of Bitanga arrived in Tripoli early this morning and reportedly met with Libyan officials. Muzenda, who herself led the 2000 coup that overthrew Nwabudike Edmund Nimbala that first brought Nzele to power, had been suspected of encouraging the coup attempt after the couple's political alliance broke down. The cause of the breakdown was reportedly Nzele's decision to bow to months of protests in Bitanga to not seek reelection.

It is unclear whether this trip was planned, or is an attempt to escape possible arrest. Muzenda had previously not left Equatorial Kundu since the 2003 American invasion ended that country's genocide and temporarily toppled Nzele. An International Criminal Court (ICC) warrant for her arrest on charges of crime against humanity was issued in 2005, which prevented her from visiting countries that are obliged to enforce the court's warrants. Her husband is similarly under indictment, but several countries, such as Jordan and South Africa, have declined to arrest Nzele when he visited those countries, claiming he was immune as a sitting head of state. Libya is not an ICC signatory and does not have an extradition treaty with Equatorial Kundu.

The Kundunese Ministry of Foreign Affairs has not responded to requests to comment on the matter.

-------------------------------------------------​

acn_hbo_the_newsroom_logo.png

Tuesday, October 15th 2019

Barrie won't wait until election to appoint Lancaster's successor

Frankfort, KY —
Governor Ed Barrie (R-KY) has dismissed speculation and calls for him to wait until after Kentucky's gubernatorial election to appoint a replacement for Senator James Lancaster (R-KY), who passed away Saturday evening.

"The people of Kentucky deserve to have two senators to represent them, and it's my duty as governor to appoint someone when there is a vacancy," Barrie said while in Frankfort a day ahead of Lancaster's funeral. "Out of respect for the Lancaster family, that's all I'm going to say on this matter." Barrie and his opponents, Democrat Jack Lucas, the former state agriculture commissioner, and independent progressive Leo George, have all agreed to not campaign tomorrow.

While some Kentucky Democrats have raised the specter of Barrie appointing a replacement senator only to lose his bid for reelection three weeks later, the latest polling has the governor ahead of Lucas by 14 percentage points (54% to 40%, with George taking roughly six percent). Whomever Barrie appoints will serve until a special election next year to fill the remainder of Lancaster's term.

g990RZB.png

Wednesday October 16th 2019

Molloy announces he will challenge Governor Byers for Delaware gubernatorial nomination

Former Delaware Governor Declan Molloy has announced today he will be seeking the Democratic nomination for Governor next year. Molloy who resigned from office last December due to alleged campaign finance violations was cleared of any wrong doing following a investigation by the Department of Justice.

Molloy, will be challenging his former Lt. Governor and the women that replaced him in "Woodburn", the Governor's Mansion in Dover, Annalise Byers. "Today I announce that I will be seeking the Democratic nomination for the great state of Delaware" adding "for a second time". He added in speech to around 1,000 supporters "I have nothing against Governor Byers personally, but I am not prepared to let the good work we did in nearly three years in office, go to waste. I am running and I am going to win the nomination and win next November".

The primary election for both Democrats and Republicans in Delaware will be held on Tuesday February 4th.

I love how there are so many second chances for disgraced politicians on this timeline. Hoynes, McNamara, Vansen, and now Malloy.

g990RZB.png

Thursday, October 17th 2019

Civil Rights Act of 2019 passes Senate

The Senate passed the Civil Rights Act of 2019, which would add sexual orientation to existing federal civil rights protection, this afternoon, sending it to the final stage before it lands on President Seaborn's desk. Passed by a 55-44 margin, the bill would mark the largest legislative expansion of civil rights protections since the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Ten Republicans joined all but three of the chamber's Democrats in voting for the bill, giving the bill a bipartisan mark of support, largely gained from excising provisions extending the same protection to transgender Americans.

"With this vote, we are nearly there," Minority Leader Jimmy Fitzsimmons (D-MA) said in a press conference after the bill's passage. "We are close to finally recognizing that who people love should not dictate where and how they live and work in the United States." Senator Michael Rojas (R-NM), the first Republican to publicly announce his support for the bill, said that he was "proud to have voted 'yes' on such a historic bill." Joining Rojas in bucking the Republican party line were Rob Buchanan (VA), Carlos Cabrera (CO), James Clarke (WI), Dylan Garrison (OH), Jasper Irving (IL), Tanner McClay (FL), Ruth Norton-Stewart (OH), Curtis Ryan (OR), Randall Thomas (MI) and Ellie Wilkins (NH). Calvin Bowles (D-KY), Bradley Denning (D-OK) and Hubert "Arkansas" Smith (D-AR) were the three Democratic dissenters.

The final stage of the bill's life before it is passed into law is a brief return to the House of Representatives to pass the Senate's version of the bill, as Speaker Daniel Maddox (D-IL) had earlier announced. Social and cultural conservatives have already promised to fight the bill, which would imperil state bans on same-sex marriage and the tax-exempt status of religious schools who discriminate against gay or lesbian students, faculty or applicants. But legal experts say they face an uphill fight, even with a Supreme Court that leans to the right.

"The Court's ruling in Bob Jones University v. United States (a 1983 case that ruled that a private religious university could be denied tax-exempt status for its then-policy of forbidding interracial dating due to the "compelling government interest" in ending racial discrimination in education) could be looked to as an analogy for any such case," John Marcuse, professor of constitutional law at Columbia University, told NBS. "The Court has recognized for decades the compelling government interest in ending discrimination, and has followed the nation as a whole in their shifting attitudes towards gays and lesbians...Public support and acceptance of gay and lesbian individuals is much, much higher in 2019 than interracial marriage (which did not have majority support among American adults until 1994) was in 1983, and I see little evidence that all five conservative or conservative-leaning justices are willing to overlook such huge public support and clear constitutional precedent for a lost culture war issue."

seYhoHBm.png

Cumberland, Wirth to become GOP Conference, Ethics Committee Chairs

Saturday October 19, 2019

A meeting of the Senate Republican caucus has selected Mark Cumberland (R-TX) and George Wirth (R-MT) as the new Chair of the Senate Republican Conference and Chairman of the Senate Ethics Committee, respectively. The closed-door meeting wrapped up only a few minutes ago, and Senate Majority Leader Cody Riley (R-AL) announced the results. "I'm pleased to welcome Mark to the party leadership," Riley said, with a smiling Cumberland at his side along with Senate Majority Whip Max Lobell III (R-GA), "I believe the caucus has made a good decision, and I'm looking forward to working with him to keep the country as strong as it was left by President Walken."

Riley similarly praised Wirth, who returned to the Senate in January after coming out of retirement, saying that the venerable Montana senator would "keep us in line" as chair of the Ethics Committee.

The mid-session changes, necessary owing to the death of Senator James Lancaster (R-KY), will take effect on Monday. An appointment will be made before the special election next year to determine who will finish the final two years of Lancaster's term.

OOC: Couple of infoboxes from the batch I've been working on. Both have previously had their results posted, so the only new information here are the snazzy maps and one very minor casting.

First up, the battle between the Vaders:

yRY2OH7.png

And the mayoral election for the home of deep dish pizza:
WVbW5bM.png

• Smollett was cast before the whole bizarre "two MAGA guys who also watch Empire happened to be carrying around a noose and bleach to commit hate crimes at two in the morning in Chicago and attacked me" story.
  • Kettle was obviously based on Dietl, so I just cut out the middleman and had Dietl appear as "himself".
  • Excelsior mentioned the runoff had strong support for Messina in white and Hispanic wards, while Thurston did well in black wards. So the demographic results of the wards is what I used to determine the results for the map.
Cast
James Earl Jones as William Wiley
Hayden Christensen as Sean Boone
Robin Thomas as Jack Enlow
Jussie Smollett as Mike "Thrust" Thruston
Nick Zano as Hank Messina
Bo Dietl as Beau Kettle (new casting)

g990RZB.png

Monday October 21st 2019

Long: "I am now a Republican"

Former Independent candidate for both Governor and Senator in Texas, businessman Andrew Long has announced that he has joined the Republican party. Long ran for Texas Governor in 2016 and the Senate in 2018 and performed above expectations both times.

He said that he would not be a candidate for Texan Governor in 2020 or the Senate. NBS understands that he has his eyes on a 2022 Presidential nomination bid.

Last edited:
OOC: In honor of Canada's election taking place today (go vote any Canadian readers, if you haven't already), here's the recent election in Quebec.

TypfFUa.png

Cast (all new casting)
Patrick Huard as Thomas Rougeau
Michel Côté as Jean-François Lincourt
Isabelle Huppert as Marie Poirier
Macha Grenon as Geneviève Lafontaine

g990RZB.png

Tuesday, October 22nd 2019

Barrie appoints former LG Terrance H. Schraeder to Senate

Governor Ed Barrie (R-KY) announced his appointment of former Lieutenant Governor Terrance H. Schraeder (R) to the United States Senate to serve until a special election next November. Barrie, speaking to reporters outside the State Capitol in Frankfort, said that he had selected Schraeder after a "series of interviews with several potential appointees", and felt that Schraeder would serve Kentucky most diligently, hence his selection. Schraeder, for his part, thanked the governor for the selection and promised to "get started working for Kentuckians right away."

Schraeder, who served as Lieutenant Governor under Governor Alison Marshall (R) from 2007 to 2011, has largely remained outside of the public spotlight since leaving office with Marshall's defeat by Chris Mannix (D) in 2011. He has served on a few corporate boards in the eight years since leaving office, as well as having been a surrogate for Peter Gault during the 2018 primary in Kentucky. He is set to replace James Lancaster (R) who passed away on Saturday, October 12th.

With the selection of a relatively low-profile appointee, reporters quickly questioned if Barrie was using Schraeder as a placeholder for himself run for the seat in the special election next November. But the governor bluntly ruled it out: "I'm 79 years old. This [current gubernatorial election] is my last campaign. Period." But Barrie didn't answer when asked if he would endorse Schraeder if the appointee were to run in the special election to fill the remainder of Lancaster's term. Schraeder similarly dissembled, saying he would "answer that question once I get my bearings in Washington."

th

Wednesday October 23rd 2019

Three by-elections confirmed for Thursday November 28th

The three outstanding by-elections will be held on November 28th. The elections are being held in Darlington, Manchester Central and Hackney South & Shoreditch.

All seats are currently held by the Labour Party and are seen as an early test for new Leader Jack Coll. The Labour party has confirmed that former Shadow Chancellor and Watford MP Kate Wells will be the Labour candidate in Manchester Central. Labour Councillor Dominic Simon will fight Darlington, the seat of former Labour Leader Andrea Benn and Gary Mills, the Leader of Hackney Council will take on former Labour MP and leadership contender Daniel Lamont in Hackney.