Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 107125

An alternate map of the US, with 53 states; in this TL: they bought the Virgin Islands in 1867, the annexation of Santo Domingo is successful in 1870, then, in 1898, in addition of the annexation of Hawaii, the US bought Micronesia and Porto Rico to Spain.

1570561842-image.png
Cursed

clbA3EJ.png

Why are European loins always so more fertile in these scenarios than in reality? Africa is not the US frontier.

Uhhh, do you realise that the 3 millions of Afrikaners today are descendant of roughly 20,000 Dutch speaking whites who lived there when the brits took the colony over?

Alright admittedly, the population in the Theresian colony will be significantly more urban than Boers, so will have a lower growth, however the large number of migrants and the fact that it’s going to be the main valve for emigration the Austrian empire means it’s likely to have a lot of settlers, many will go back once the rush is over, but more than enough will stay, in the end an european descended population comparable to our Australia is more than plausible, considering the similar timeframes.

South Africa is mostly tropical diseases free, except in Natal, the climate is very healthy for extensive farming, IRL the inability of the Khoisan to fight back first allowed the Dutch to expend within the cape colony, and then the Mfecane which depopulated the free state/Transvaal, there, it’s their sheer number (several times larger than the Boers were at the time, gold rush attracted a LOT of people in these times), along with actually being supported by Austrian colonial forces for peacekeeping, Austrians who wanted to make sure they control their only colony.

There’s a reason South Africa has been white settled IRL, there is a reason why it’s often used in AH as a Foreign entryway for settler colonialism, it’s because it disease free, large, at a strategical location, and has lots of land adapted to European agricultural package.

Last edited:
Random lines is literally what the European colonists drew, disregarding native lines.
NO. IT. WAS. NOT.

The European Powers at the Berlin Conference divided up lands based on their economic potential and historical claims, and used dozens of natural landmarks as borders. For instance, the Kongo Basin being taken by Belgium for its rubber production, or Egypt by Britain for its cotton-growing climate, or the Rio Rovuma being used as the northern border of Portuguese Mozambique. There are countless other (and better) examples. The Europeans may not have cared about the natives, but they sure as hell didn't sit down, shut their eyes, and draw random lines on a map of Africa. (Which I'm pretty sure is what you did with that misshapen South Africa.)

Random lines is literally what the European colonists drew, disregarding native lines. The Irish could care no less for the natives than the English.
Not quite, no. The European borders did follow preexisting boundaries, if only in terms of when they conquered a native state those were then their borders. Not only that but they weren't as 'random' as one might think. By necessity they often followed natural borders (rivers and mountains being big ones), its only in the deserts and impassable jungle that that you get the 'straight lines drawn on a map'. With all due respect, the borders on your map are arbitrary for the sake of being arbitrary which does nobody any favours, including the Irish.

Edit: Ninja'd XD

I've been criticized for drawing straight lines in the past. Not doing that again.
What's to be learned from present critiques of your work is that the lines that exist on a map should have a reason for their existence. Borders, even when drawn arbitrarily and irregardless of any natural borders or what's going on at the ground level between the peoples that live there, have a rational behind them. You don't have to draw your borders perfectly, but you should have a reason for why your borders are what they are. The Borders like the rest of your map should have a history to them.

View attachment 493539
Luck to the Max

Ireland revolts during the English Civil War, successfully establishing a united Irish republic in 1686. The young nation successfully wrestles Scotland and Wales out of English hands by 1750, and the Irish navy developed to be on par with that of the English, initiating a 19th-century naval arms race between the two. The Potato Famine, as a result of early industrialization, is butterflied away. The United States fails to defend against neocolonialism as it is picked apart by European powers. Russia takes advantage of the Anglo-Celtic rivalry and the absence of the American threat, expanding even further than it did in OTL. Mesoamerica becomes a playground for Irish exploitation. In 1920, the balance of power is determined by two major blocs. On the Irish side are Spain, Italy, Germany, the Netherlands, France, Romania, and Poland. On the English side are Denmark, Norway, Belgium, Hungary, Portugal, Sweden, and Austria. The peace is currently kept, however, a shoe may drop any time sooner or later, and this cold war is about to get hot...​
Who owns the us? I believe the Germany owns the Northeast and Midwest whilst France owns the south but who owns the west coast?

Who owns the us? I believe the Germany owns the Northeast and Midwest whilst France owns the south but who owns the west coast?
US fails to pay debts to France, Germany, and Italy after it mistreats, exploits, and disenfranchises French, German, and Italian immigrants. In the Treaty of St. Louis, US is split between France (Southeast), Germany (Northeast), and Italy (West).

From the UARverse

NYC.png
New York City is the most populous city in New York and the Union of American Realms. It's large population is divided into five boroughs and counties (with each borough comprising one of the five counties) which existed as independent municipalities prior to the Consolidation of New York City in 1889.

Borough, County
Englewood, Palisades County
Manhattan, New York County
Pavonia, Hudson County
Staten Island, Richmond County
The Bronx, Bronx County​

QOpFoxv.png

map of NA in the mid-11th century (~1080?) AD in a tl i've been plotting for a couple months. yellow areas denote areas of significant development of large cities (think altepetl-size, 20,000-100,000 max)
most of these names aren't final as i don't really have the time to re-transliterate every endonym
also this map took me like 3 weeks to make lol

important stuff:
-2 major centers of extensive urbanization: Toltec empire in Mexico and Tovaangar in SoCal, Ohlone Bay Miwok might count too
-linguistic differences: algic languages never spread past the Rockies, Iroquoian (ittl Ahowkwean) languages form majority of languages spoken east of the Great Plains. the Old Copper Complex is still relevant at this time, so you have copper goods being traded
-an Ahohwkwean group, the Cayoqesaunee occupy OTL's Cahokia and continue the mound-building tradition
-they're not on this map because i don't have much information on them but the Dorset culture, the peoples occupying eastern arctic Canada before the Inuit (whom i refer to as Tuniit which is a possibly anachronistic Inuit exonym) is still alive and kicking in northern Quebec and Wisconsin. similarly, Inuit groups extend much farther south, the southernmost occupying central Idaho
-major areas of cultural exchange: mexican kingdoms from the Naayarite to the Ch'orti', super-Southeastern Ceremonial Complex extending from Texas to Montreal, in the west the Tongva, Pomo, Wintun, Yakima all have a strong trading network. pueblo people in Oasisamerica are mostly doing their own thing. super-SECC and unnamed western complex are separated by the Great Plains and Rockies and mostly unaware of each other, but trade from the Toltec snakes its way up both civilizations, directly or indirectly

a lot of these names are probably anachronistic, so if you see anything weird tell me

Last edited:
From the UARverse

New York City is the most populous city in New York and the Union of American Realms. It's large population is divided into five boroughs and counties (with each borough comprising one of the five counties) which existed as independent municipalities prior to the Consolidation of New York City in 1889.

Borough, County
Englewood, Palisades County
Manhattan, New York County
Pavonia, Hudson County
Staten Island, Richmond County
The Bronx, Bronx County​
Oh, this is so fucking woke. I love it, and not (quite) just because it means the subway system would be able to work so much better with two sets of trunk lines and okay I'm getting ahead of myself but imagine. Imagine Jersey City filled with elevated train lines.

Cool NA snip
This is pretty good, mate, but I have 2 questions:
1. Is this linked to any map scale thing (like worlda, qbam, etc)
2. can we get a version with like the native borders / with state borders (if it was based to a map, I could do the last bit) as like a base for NA timelines?

Status
Not open for further replies.