Pre-1900 Alternate History Tropes/Cliches:

If California isn't American, it's otherwise quite frequently independent. Same with Texas. Like people have an aversion to a Mexican California/Texas for some reason.

If California isn't American, it's otherwise quite frequently independent. Same with Texas. Like people have an aversion to a Mexican California/Texas for some reason.

You know, now that I think on it I've never seen a scenario where Texas isn't either independent (which actually happened no less) or just... falls flat and stays Mexican along with California/the "American Southwest" in general.

You know, now that I think on it I've never seen a scenario where Texas isn't either independent (which actually happened no less) or just... falls flat and stays Mexican along with California/the "American Southwest" in general.

It is important to recognize just how thoroughly Anglo settlers overtook the Mexican-born population IOTL. By 1835, there were 30,000 English-speakers versus 7,800 Mexicans. So this wasn't your usual filibuster.

With all the misplaced patriotism mentioned, most of the timelines that mentioned or centered around Philippines has either Novales conquering it, or Northern Luzon broken off.

If made by a rather ignorant writer (not that they are to be blamed for it), it’ll often be an American colony. How about the Belgians next time?

Written in respect to the excellently written timelines of @Al-numbers and @ramones1986 .

Puzzling over this...the choices seem to be independence, Spanish/Mexican or joins the U.S. Do you mean something like British Texas/California, or Texas or swallowed by French Louisiana? Can't see any other claimants.

With all the misplaced patriotism mentioned, most of the timelines that mentioned or centered around Philippines has either Novales conquering it, or Northern Luzon broken off.

If made by a rather ignorant writer (not that they are to be blamed for it), it’ll often be an American colony. How about the Belgians next time?

Written in respect to the excellently written timelines of @Al-numbers and @ramones1986 .
The issue about the PH would be that there are still pagans in the lowlands of Luzon til after the tabacalera times/tabacco monopoly before 19th century, they would have ended up selling Luzon had the tabacalera failed regardless of the ruler.

The pagans don't recognize the spanish, the TL where I have the subject is tabacalera muerte.

Luzon and Celebes have a similar history but Luzon was screwed up by two famines which favored the spanish.

Most of the TLs here about the PH are too eurocentric and base their world view based on the western view not from the Muslim Historiography and epics which I use in my TL's.

Last edited:
Other cliche-German Empire became friendly towards Poland and it is assumed that it is in Germany's interest to support Polish independence, while IOTL, besides presecuting Poles in their part of Poland, Germany in addition pressed other partitioners to do the same, Germans for example pressed Austria-Hungary to not give Poles too much rights in Galizia. Also, during January Uprising in Russian Poland Prussians cooperated with Russia against Polish rebels. Being aware of situation of Poles in Posen and West Prussia Poles in Russian Poland remained loyal to Russia in 1914, as they generally seen Germans as bigger threat than Russians, not as liberators.

It is important to recognize just how thoroughly Anglo settlers overtook the Mexican-born population IOTL. By 1835, there were 30,000 English-speakers versus 7,800 Mexicans. So this wasn't your usual filibuster.
Still doesn't justify how rare it is. This is alternate history after all. And even, in low plausibility/ASB maps it's more common to see an independent/British California/Texas then it is to see them with Mexico. And these are the same places where you'll see mega Americas and Mega Confederacies, among other things. It's really just an Anglocentric Bias at that point.

It's rather common to see questions that amount to asking how to make the world more white, particularly Africa and Latin America.

It's rather common to see questions that amount to asking how to make the world more white, particularly Africa and Latin America.

I see this thing often criticized, but I don't really see it often. I searched up "white South Africa", and most were from the chat.

1) with out ogedies death the mongols would conquer all of europe

2) muslims winning at tours would lead to an islamic europe

3) the mongols win at ainjalut and invade all of north africa and spain

4) that had president lincon survied things would be very different

5) that the south wins the civil war

6) the americans loose the war of independance

Here’s one: India is almost always either Balkanized to a greater degree than OTL’s partition, remains a (usually British) colony forever, or (rarely) ends up united under the Mughals. There’s almost never a united democratic India.

VVD0D95

Banned
Here’s one: India is almost always either Balkanized to a greater degree than OTL’s partition, remains a (usually British) colony forever, or (rarely) ends up united under the Mughals. There’s almost never a united democratic India.

man that would be a cluster fuck. But also our cricket team would kick ass

man that would be a cluster fuck. But also our cricket team would kick ass
I’m personally of the opinion that it would actually be at least somewhat more stable than OTL India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh, but that’s not relevant to the fact that AH authors never have it show up. For that matter, they never have any native monarchy other than the Mughals unite it either—Mauryas TLs or Maratha India TLs or even Delhi Sultanate TLs are pretty much nowhere to be found.