The Turing-Nash Power Hour, A Collaborative Pop Culture TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I do... If anything, let's expand the timeline to see what other changes are possible. I am trying to guess whether Tron would have been approved by Walt Disney in the 1970s, as a counterpoint to the dark films on computers of the period...

I'll also try to get more people posting on this thread

5e8fd26c6a9cf22aa7f37bf155acf962.jpg

April 18, 1980

Literally Jim's second day on the job at Walt Disney Productions.

roy-edward-disney-white-shirt.jpg

ROY E DISNEY
(Vice President Elect of WDP):
"Hi Jim. We would like your opinion on a proposed logo to introduce our upcoming home video releases for October."

JIM HENSON:
"Nope. Try again."​

Here are a few PODs to flag that music changed as well:

May 14, 1972: "Atomovision-60" song by Audio Karate makes its hit debut, highlighting the history of GDC video games,...

November 30, 1979: "My Console" single by the Bee-Gees makes its hit debut, highlighting the "Console Wars" sparking international attention,...

December 23, 1979: I Am Not Your Joystick" single by Queen, makes its hit musical debut, sparking international attention,...

October 7, 1981: "Video Games" single by Tina Turner, highlights the influence of video games on the Boomer generation,...

Last edited:
May 1980

New York City based real estate tycoon Donald J Trump decides to enter the video game console business for himself.

Transamerica, still looking to spin off United Artists, places the film studio for sale.

After a lengthy partnership with Lord Grade and ITC Entertainment, Jim Henson transfers the distribution rights to The Great Muppet Caper and The Dark Crystal to Buena Vista Distribution as part of his purchase of Walt Disney Productions. The aformentioned films are due for release in 1981 and '82 respectively.

Here are a few more PODs to make sure the TL is different:

November 22, 1963: Aldous Huxley dies in Cambridge, England while playing on an AV-60 game console, sparking international attention,...

June 24, 1975: Johnny Roselli of Los Angeles, California testifies before the Senate that the Mafia is attempting to make illegal inroads into the gaming market with the creation of arcades,...

August 9, 1976: Mobster Johnny Roselli is found dead in Biscayne Bay, Florida, after testifying about the rise of Mafia-controlled arcades, fueling a call for a criminal crackdown,...

February 10, 1983: Yakuza member Ken Eto is shot and killed in Chicago, Illinois, amidst rumors of rigged gaming tournaments worldwide,...

Here's some more consoles:

November 30, 1976: Channel F, the first console to use ROM cartridges as well having a `hold' button to change the time, speed, or both. Designed by Jerry Lawson and released by ACE Games.
(The tech is slightly better than OTL and sells better than IOTL as well)

September 11, 1977: the release of the critically acclaimed and successful, Atari 2600
(Yep, it's called that from the very start)

October 11, 1978: ACE Games' Channel H, a.k.a. Channel F Mark II is released to decent sales and applause
(basically a Bally Astrocade)

Christmas Day 1978: Odyssey II (known as the Videopac G7000 in Europe) by European company Philips is released

December 13, 1979: Mattel Intellivision is released to the public to critical success and praise

Here's something extra:

January 5, 1971: Astrid Lindgren gives Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata permission to produce an adaptation of her book, Pippi Longstocking.

And another:

May 18, 1973: Hudson Soft is founded in Japan by brothers Yuji and Hiroshi Kudo, train enthusiasts who named the business after their favorite, the Hudson locomotives

(They'll be the Konami of TTL, as Konami ITTL is a pachinko company that'll get acquired by Hudson Soft in 1993)

Last edited by a moderator:
June 1980

As part of sweeping changes made by new owner Jim Henson, the Disney studio will finally have a proper logo (below) to introduce its films. The new intro will take effect, beginning with The Great Muppet Caper, which is due for release next year.
hqdefault.jpg

Also, Henson has approved the launch of a mature brand originally proposed by his predecessor Ron Miller. This mature brand had been fast tracked to accommodate George Lucas and Steven Spielberg's pitch for a film about a daredevil archaeologist.​

I got some more from the big three:

January 27, 1974: Gottlieb creates the first-ever secure instant lottery ticket (a.k.a. the scratchcard)
(Are these even legal TTL?)

May 12, 1975: Gottlieb renames itself Midway Games Corporation due to the huge success of their Midway brand

April 3, 1983: Williams Electronics acquires Exidy

March 13, 1984: Bally Manufacturing creates BAM Entertainment to publish console games, a year later, Williams Electronics and Midway Games establishes Williams Electronics Games and Midway Home Entertainment, perspectivity

I would guess yes, mainly because the efforts to regulate or control gambling have failed in the TL. Consider that in the 1980s/ 1990s there is going to be a conservative backlash and calls to regulate.

I would guess yes, mainly because the efforts to regulate or control gambling have failed in the TL. Consider that in the 1980s/ 1990s there is going to be a conservative backlash and calls to regulate.

Okay. Also when the Pippi Longstocking anime should be released?

December 20, 1973: Pippi Longstocking, The Strongest Girl in the World is released to the world by United Artists, where it's a critical & box office success

December 20, 1973: Pippi Longstocking, The Strongest Girl in the World is released to the world by United Artists, where it's a critical & box office success
You might want to throw in some celebrities who would have been voices. I would throw in Maureen McCormick and Eve Plumb from "The Brady Bunch" since they were just beginning their sitcom fame....

Status
Not open for further replies.