Votes: 56 74.7%
  • Pistolet automatique modèle 1935 in 7.65 Longue

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Star Model B in 9x19mm Parabellum

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Radom Vis 35 in 9x19

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
Well .38 Super isn't a military cartridge, or even much of a police one. Mostly Major pistol shooting or civilian use in countries that restrict 'military' cartridges.
My understanding is that in the 1930's it was being marketed for law enforcement use.

To recap my prior comments, with regards to this fictional time line, adopting the 1911 for military use in a caliber that was less powerful than .45 ACP or .38 super seems a bit strange to me.

The more I reflect on this topic the Walther PP seems like a reasonable choice in the early 1930's.

Later if / when SMG's are wanted perhaps another handgun would have been adopted in what ever caliber was being proposed for SMG's use.

To recap my prior comments, with regards to this fictional time line, adopting the 1911 for military use in a caliber that was less powerful than .45 ACP or .38 super seems a bit strange to me.
Considering the British had decided that .455 was too much adopting the more powerful .45 ACP or an equivalent seems unlikely.

My understanding is that in the 1930's it was being marketed for law enforcement use.
Yes, it was briefly popular in the USA as it could penetrate car bodies and contemporary body armour, as much with criminals as LEOs. It was never particularly common.

The UK switched from the .455SAA (delivering 450J with a 17g bullet) to .38/200 (delivering 240J with a 12g bullet). They seem not to have been interested in a more powerful cartridge.

The more I reflect on this topic the Walther PP seems like a reasonable choice in the early 1930's.
It's German. That's quite probably enough for the UK to go elsewhere.

Later if / when SMG's are wanted perhaps another handgun would have been adopted in what ever caliber was being proposed for SMG's use.
Why bother? The logistic savings are tiny.

marathag

Banned
Well .38 Super isn't a military cartridge, or even much of a police one. Mostly Major pistol shooting or civilian use in countries that restrict 'military' cartridges.
38 ACP was popular in the first half of the 20thC, and 38 Super is just a hotter load, equal to todays 9mm +P+

It's a battle proven design, so why not take a look.
It was a battle proven design in U.S. service in .45 ACP and probably one of the best handguns in the world when it was introduced.

In my opponion by the 1930's there were probably better designs avalaible, particularly if one wants to use a significantly less powerfull cartridge.

It's German. That's quite probably enough for the UK to go elsewhere.

The Germans do seem to make good firearms on occasion. On paper the PP seems like a good choice and its post war useage would seem to indicate it would have been a good choice.

So long as the UK doesn't end up having to pay the Germans royalties in war time I don't see why it couldn't have been adopted in the early 1930's.

The UK used 7.7mm and 7.92mm machine guns and at least three HMG cartridges.
It must have been an absolute nightmare to be an armourer in the Royal Armoured Corps. M1919s in 30-06, Besas in 7.92, Bren guns in .303 (plenty of armoured cars had them). Some tank crews have Thompsons some have Stens...

Or do what the French did with the MAB Model D, slight changes to the FN and call it a new gun

There was a lot of that about - the Polish did the same (mainly after FN buggered them about) - but the British did tend to play these things with a 'straight bat' as they had far more to lose if they set as a precedent that sort of thing so I cannot see them doing it.

I appreciate that they may have done that sort of thing during the pressures of war but not pre war.