Map of the Fortnight: Main Discussion Thread

In My Life
Depict a country at the date of its founding, its greatest extent, and its current borders.

I Want it All
Show a countries attempt at conquering it's neighbors.

Devil in Disguise
Depict a warmongering nation presenting itself as an ancient empire to justify its actions.

Last edited:
Bilbo?
Do there be Dwarven Gold in them there hills?
No it’s a Reference to the Mississippi governor who hated the Mormons. Ittl the Mormons are more rebellious and so Utah is a military territory until the thirties and they name the state after the harshest military governor. It’s a darker version of the USA

Don't do beheading kids !

Depict a country after a failed revolution (in any sense of the word)

The Great Leap Forward

Make a map of a country, region or city going through major government-mandated change in a very fast pace

The Mission
Show a community/nation in which a majority have converted to a new religion

Run to the Hills
Show a community/nation fleeing from a larger neighbor/violence/the woes of settled agriculture/etc. (See Maroons, Hmong/Miao, Eastern Band Cherokee, etc.)

City Unbound
Make a map depicting a city which is regarded as the city of the future

Days of Lead
Make a map depicting a low level insurgency in a country

More restricted PoD ideas:

What He Always Wanted to Do
Make a map depicting a world without Robert Moses and his giant impact

Punch Up
Have a Latin American country inflict a significant military/economic blow to The US/European power (PoD restriction 1829-1929)

Goodbye Lenin
Depict an alternate post-Soviet eastern bloc (POD restriction 1962-1992)

Also, Dr. Nodelescu has some good ideas

One challenge down, five to go.

First of all, congratulations to @SpazzReflex for winning MotF 204 with a very cool map of Polaria!

Second, new threads are up!
MotF 205: You Pan Handle It - Voting Thread
MotF 206: Goodbye Lenin - Entry Thread

(Note that the range of acceptable PODs has been expanded back to 1945 for @lock and anyone else who is interested!)

Third, thanks for all the topic suggestions - keep them coming, and let me know which ones sound good to you!

Dang it. Now I suppose I'm forced to make an entry, yeah? :)

Wait, it is an alternate bloc not an alternate dissolution of the bloc, right?

The name 'goodbye' Lenin made me think the latter.

The way I'm reading this, is that there needs to have been a Soviet Union, and the map needs to depict a post-Soviet bloc, which encompasses all or parts of "east" -- the definition of which has been purposefully left somewhat vague.

The way I'm reading this, is that there needs to have been a Soviet Union, and the map needs to depict a post-Soviet bloc, which encompasses all or parts of "east" -- the definition of which has been purposefully left somewhat vague.

So it IS after the collapse of a Soviet Union?

Wait, it is an alternate bloc not an alternate dissolution of the bloc, right?

The name 'goodbye' Lenin made me think the latter.

So it IS after the collapse of a Soviet Union?

Yes, there has to have been a Soviet Union in the past tense.

First of all, congratulations to @SpazzReflex for winning MotF 204 with a very cool map of Polaria!

Second, new threads are up!
MotF 205: You Pan Handle It - Voting Thread
MotF 206: Goodbye Lenin - Entry Thread

(Note that the range of acceptable PODs has been expanded back to 1945 for @lock and anyone else who is interested!)

Third, thanks for all the topic suggestions - keep them coming, and let me know which ones sound good to you!

Can the POD be before the Russian revolution (yes yes, dozens of butterflies just died at the sight of this..), and does it have to be “Eastern” or just USSR aligned at some point!

Can the POD be before the Russian revolution (yes yes, dozens of butterflies just died at the sight of this..), and does it have to be “Eastern” or just USSR aligned at some point!

The POD can technically be earlier if there are no observable changes before 1945, but let's stick to recognizable versions of our Soviet Union. On the other hand, I will accept any Soviet-aligned state as "Eastern Bloc", so feel free to do Cuba or Ethiopia or whatever.

The POD can technically be earlier if there are no observable changes before 1945, but let's stick to recognizable versions of our Soviet Union. On the other hand, I will accept any Soviet-aligned state as "Eastern Bloc", so feel free to do Cuba or Ethiopia or whatever.

So if I get it right a different WW2 (but where the allies still win) resulting in a different occupation zone would be off limits since it brings “observable changes before 1945”