The Rainbow. A World War One on Canada's West Coast Timeline

So assuming Radl is captured (and isn't killed in battle) it seems very likely he'll meet his end via a noose.

But what it makes me wonder is will Radl's "treason" will inevitably lead to a huge amount of hysteria about enemy aliens and immigrants from the central powers. Perhaps that hysteria will lead to a much more extensive internment of enemy aliens.

Dave Shoup

Banned
Here's some background on Princess Charlotte, and a nice image:
http://www.evergreenfleet.com/princess_charlotte.html

SJP_COLLECTIOn--PC_ADDEd562011-1010x586.jpg

Stretched very thin indeed
Aug 17, 1945 hours. SMS Nürnberg, Prince Rupert Harbour.

Von Schönberg called a quick meeting of his officers, and brought Stabbootsman Lange over from the Talthibius for the occasion.

“Other than the railhead, and the ships in port, there is one more target in the City of Prince Rupert that it behooves us to destroy. Mr. Radl says that the city has the largest floating drydock in the world, save for one in Manila. Designed with a capacity for ships of 20,000 tons. It is under construction and almost complete. The pontoon dock is made of wood. We could shell it until it sank, and expend time and ammunition. Then it would likely be salvaged with minimal effort. Or we could send a landing party to burn it, and expose the men to a counterattack from the local constabulary and militia. This liner and her cargo give me a better idea.”

https://searcharchives.vancouver.ca...8172f0-4a7a-413c-8dbe-6fdd0b4016c4-A30257.jpg

Last edited:
So assuming Radl is captured (and isn't killed in battle) it seems very likely he'll meet his end via a noose.

But what it makes me wonder is will Radl's "treason" will inevitably lead to a huge amount of hysteria about enemy aliens and immigrants from the central powers. Perhaps that hysteria will lead to a much more extensive internment of enemy aliens.

Would the powers that be, let the fact a former grand trunk employee switched sides? This is wartime, censorship is strong.

Edit: chopped out the repeated text in last chapter. I would not have written such a short chapter on purpose, but this solution is the best way to not disrupt the thread structure.

“Other than the railhead, and the ships in port, there is one more target in the City of Prince Rupert that it behooves us to destroy. Mr. Radl says that the city has the largest floating drydock in the world, save for one in Manila. Designed with a capacity for ships of 20,000 tons. It is under construction and almost complete.

I'm not sure if this is tied into the story or not but the floating drydock in Prince Rupert isn't even the largest Drydock in Canada at the time. The Duke of Connaught floating drydock was built by Vickers in the UK for Vickers Montreal in 1912 and was in Montreal by the time of these events.

Dimensions are similar except for depth which gives the Montreal 5,000 more tons.

rTHifxY.png

Talthibius is the ship you want as an aux raider, NOT one of the liners. Talthibius can be modified, canvas and wood structures built, repainted. You can run her anywhere in the world with a chance of success, and probably on less fuel than one of those three funneled liners. The liners have three funnels, these can't be concealed adequately, they are a dead giveaway. Putting the Talthibius into action means Germany has a raider the world doesn't know about yet, and keeps some of the crew fighting. Burn the liners at the piers, together. Just doing that will to a large degree cripple the west coast trade of Canada for quite awhile.

Burning the dry dock is a good option, regardless of the possible opposition. Otherwise, torpedo the damned thing. You can put two torps into both sides before it sinks. Let the RCN try and salvage that, wont be a quick job. After that, sink whats in the harbor, take Talthybius and run. Find a quiet place in the American Alaskan shoreline, outfit the Freighter sail south as far out to sea as you can. If you run low on fuel, transfer weapons to the Talthybius, scuttle Nurnberg and go a raiding. The Allies wont know for months whats happening, but insurers will when ships start disappearing, and that's a win.

I'm not sure if this is tied into the story or not but the floating drydock in Prince Rupert isn't even the largest Drydock in Canada at the time. The Duke of Connaught floating drydock was built by Vickers in the UK for Vickers Montreal in 1912 and was in Montreal by the time of these events.

Dimensions are similar except for depth which gives the Montreal 5,000 more tons.

rTHifxY.png
How about that. I am really noticing that I have to cross reference sources to see what is closest to the truth. Second biggest floating drydock in the Pacific? Radl may believe his claim to be true, even if it is not. In any case, it is a mother big floating drydock, and a target that screams for attention.

Here is a picture of HMS Orbita. 15,000 tons in the dock. It also accomodated HMS Otranto, late from the Battle of Colonel, but the pictures I have are not as good.

HMS Orbita
photo-500x.jpg

HMS Otranto
photo-500x.jpg

Burning the dry dock is a good option, regardless of the possible opposition. Otherwise, torpedo the damned thing. You can put two torps into both sides before it sinks. Let the RCN try and salvage that, wont be a quick job. After that, sink whats in the harbor, take Talthybius and run. Find a quiet place in the American Alaskan shoreline, outfit the Freighter sail south as far out to sea as you can. If you run low on fuel, transfer weapons to the Talthybius, scuttle Nurnberg and go a raiding. The Allies wont know for months whats happening, but insurers will when ships start disappearing, and that's a win.
Good points all. Regarding torpedoes in particular, Nürnberg only carried 5 total, and she has already fired one. I think Von Schönberg would be very stingy with them, in case he needs them later.

Good points all. Regarding torpedoes in particular, Nürnberg only carried 5 total, and she has already fired one. I think Von Schönberg would be very stingy with them, in case he needs them later.

He does have plenty of dynamite, though. If he can rig up a good charge underneath the dock, he might be able to break it in half.

How about that. I am really noticing that I have to cross reference sources to see what is closest to the truth. Second biggest floating drydock in the Pacific? Radl may believe his claim to be true, even if it is not. In any case, it is a mother big floating drydock, and a target that screams for attention.

Radl believes it is the second-largest dry dock. That is good enough for the story. I'm sure that was believed by a good number of people in B.C. at the time in OTL. Who is the dry dock's owner?

Talthibius is the ship you want as an aux raider, NOT one of the liners. Talthibius can be modified, canvas and wood structures built, repainted. You can run her anywhere in the world with a chance of success, and probably on less fuel than one of those three funneled liners. The liners have three funnels, these can't be concealed adequately, they are a dead giveaway. Putting the Talthibius into action means Germany has a raider the world doesn't know about yet, and keeps some of the crew fighting. Burn the liners at the piers, together. Just doing that will to a large degree cripple the west coast trade of Canada for quite awhile.

I've been thinking the same thing about the effect on Canada's west coast trade. New liners will need to be built, or brought from somewhere else. The sinking of liners and freighters will also slow down the rebuilding. What will be the economic damage to British Columbia?

Could we see some ship owners reflagging their ships in the USA, if that is legal, or not too illegal? The USN may also send a cruiser, or additional cruiser up to Alaska just in case.