Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a fascinating idea. I expect you'd see governments using ISOT bombs to destroy toxic/nuclear waste and to refresh resources.
Or being used in warfare to simply make iconic structures or places of command disappear, bringing down the morale of the enemy and severely disabling their ability to fight back. Except they'd probably have ISOT-bombs, too.

The Earth would look like a slice of Swiss cheese.

Presumably, nobody would know where the ISOT'd regions went. From such a perspective, they may 'have to assume' that the people in such regions ceased to exist. If I had never heard of an ISOT, I might assume that a bomb transforming a city into, let's say forest area; was replacing the area with how it had been in the pre-Human era. ~

Skallagrim

Banned
Has anyone ever done an atom-bomb iSOT scenario? For example, if in 1945 instead of being harmed/obliterated/destroyed, Hiroshima and Nagasaki were ISOT'd to a blank Earth... and their location replaced with more virgin Earth?

Radio-active ISOTopes! :cool:

There being no dangerous radiation but 100% annihilation within the target zone is going to make such weapons a mighty attractive instrument. Non-military purposes are going to vastly outnumber the military ones. The replacement by virgin soil only adds to that, since it somewhat compensates for enormous loss of matter that large-scale use would entail.

Ironically, this would be THE solution to radio-active waste.

There being no dangerous radiation but 100% annihilation within the target zone is going to make such weapons a mighty attractive instrument. Non-military purposes are going to vastly outnumber the military ones. The replacement by virgin soil only adds to that, since it somewhat compensates for enormous loss of matter that large-scale use would entail.

"Virgin Earth" is generally assumed to be (?) from around the Younger Dryas event. What would happen if you re-ISOTed mammoths, macrauchenia/other Meridiungulata, or even just a species like Hipparion?

"Virgin Earth" is generally assumed to be (?) from around the Younger Dryas event. What would happen if you re-ISOTed mammoths, macrauchenia/other Meridiungulata, or even just a species like Hipparion?
That is such a cool idea. I don't know a huge deal about mammoths' range, but if Hiroshima/Nagasaki was the first ISOT bomb, then Japan would gain earliest access to such creatures if the range extended that far east. (Was Japan connected to mainland AsiA in the last Glacial Maximum?). Scientific research and tourism would be the main focuses I would imagine? It would be very cool, for mammoths to become extant species again, even in OTL. Though it seems quite unlikely to happen :( .
By the way, something I'm unclear about - with virgin earth iSOT scenarios, what about early hominids - would they come through too, or would ASB wipe them out first ?
~

Here's the (presumed) final map of the Americas and (most of) Eurasia swapped. The USE's capital is Luxembourg City, since I couldn't decide on anywhere else.
upload_2019-10-7_17-27-37.png

Though if the ISOT bombs all go to the same place, that means the victims of former wars would have to figure out how to contain the radioactive waste being sent back and try to predict which wartime city or military installation would be zapped into their world next. Could they develop ISOT bombs of their own to try and send people and objects back to Earth Prime?

Though if the ISOT bombs all go to the same place, that means the victims of former wars would have to figure out how to contain the radioactive waste being sent back and try to predict which wartime city or military installation would be zapped into their world next. Could they develop ISOT bombs of their own to try and send people and objects back to Earth Prime?
If ISOT bombs are just atom bombs endowed with ISoT power by ASB, then it should be possible eventually. Although I assume they would be technologically disadvantaged to begin with.

If ISOT bombs are just atom bombs endowed with ISoT power by ASB, then it should be possible eventually. Although I assume they would be technologically disadvantaged to begin with.
All of the industrial waste would probably help them in that regard. They'd have no shortage of plastics and they could repair outdated or broken electronics and industrial machinery that were bombed into their world, or disassemble them for steel and rare earth metals. If the original Earth is bombing its nuclear waste then it could conceivably be processed and recycled to create plutonium reactors (and bombs) once the machinery is all in place.

l.png

Inspired by @KolyenuKS' Europe-America swap, I created this map, showing the Northeast, and the "Troubles" in Northern New York.

Notes:
Nua-Eabhrac is just New York in Irish
Vermont=Scotland Connecticut=Wales
Asentamentia is derived from the Spanish word for "Settlement", which is the word in the Laurentian langauge that "Canada" is derived from.
Blackpool is anglicized Dublin

I imagine Nua-Eabhrac being founded by a large amount of Irish settlers who were given land in former Iroquois territory, and declaring independence relatively recently after a violent revolution.
Amerieurope Troubles.png

Last edited:
Fear Nothing But God: Africa, 2019

I've been working on a world map of a TL I'm finally putting into practice almost non-stop for the last few days and I'd say 2/3rds of that has been invested in an Africa. I thought I'd upload it as a bit of a teaser and to get throughts before I move ahead! The middle eastern and South African borders aren't final and a few labels need fixing but its nearly 2am and I've decided I want to leave it for now. Interior borders are hopefully final!

As a brief explanation, TTL's Africa has had reduced (but still present) European influence and several large powers, particularly the baKongo, Tswana and Mupata have established modernised, powerful sub-saharan nations. The Sahara itelf is a "Nondominion", effectively half way between a massive UN Mandate, a Neutral Zone and a Reserve. The map is set in 2019 and European colonies persist in the Dutch Cape and Portugese southern Africa, though both have lost territory to Native kingdoms in the past few decades and the Portugese situation looks bleak. The rest of Europe, particularly the Fraternal Commonweath, Kingdom of France and United Kingdoms of Norden exerpt power though small "factories", concession cities that litter the coast much as they did in OTL's 17th century.

Anyway if you have any more questions please feel free to ask!

ycBjdbG.png

Elsewhere though, in a nondescript estate in Odin, such conspiracies and events fall by the wayside as an albino Imperial officer pays his respects to an unmarked monument; it is the only time in a year that this otherwise boisterous embodiment of the Reich's principles does so. Hidden underneath are a pair of long-broken glasses, a rusting Iron Cross and a rotted flower, all encased in special glass. Their symbolism is lost to time...but not to this man. He had after all seen history unfold on Earth.

He was there...

Took me a while to catch on that it's Prussia in the distant future of Reinhard and Yang. Hetalia isn't a thing for me, to be blunt. :v

Presumably, nobody would know where the ISOT'd regions went. From such a perspective, they may 'have to assume' that the people in such regions ceased to exist. If I had never heard of an ISOT, I might assume that a bomb transforming a city into, let's say forest area; was replacing the area with how it had been in the pre-Human era. ~

Hmm. Even before I heard of ISOTs, I'd think interdimensional or time travel shenanigans, because the idea of a weapon that transmutes cities into forests strikes me as about as plausible as Fuzzy Lumpkin's Meat Gun.

greatplainsrepublic.png

*Insert booming narrator voice*
After the disastrous fighting of the Great War ended with a stalemate in 1921 and saw all sides financially ruined, the United States and Canada found themselves both succumb to the pressure of the billion of dollars wasted in nearly six years of conflict, and millions of enraged veterans feeling betrayed by their countries and millions more civilians outraged at the loss of all their sons and friends in a fruitless conflict, the sibling nations soon fell to internal conflict which would see numerous states rise from the ashes.
One such state was the Republic of Patton; This nation came to be when a coalition of various American and Canadian Cavalry Generals came together with the goal of carving out a state for themselves. Initially the coalition intended for Kansas City to be this new nations capital, and the nation itself would have been known as the Republic of the Great Plains. In 1924, Texan forces launched a counterattack against the Great Plains attempt to gain a coastline, and pushed Plains forces back to Kansas City, beginning what would become known as the 400 day siege.
It was during this siege that the Coalition Generals decided to move the Capital to the more centrally located Sioux Falls. During the siege, George Patton, one of the original Coalition generals managed to hold off and eventually push Texan forces back to what would become the modern borders between the two nations. However, Patton would be shot by Texan fire and die from an infection a month prior to a ceasefire being signed between the Plains and Texas.
It was in recognition of his bravery that Coalition forced decided to rename the nation as the Republic of Patton in their fallen comrades honor.
Today the republic of Patton remain a major regional power in North America and act's as the single largest supplier of both wheat and beef on the continent(sparking a common stereotype that Pattonites eat nothing but Steak and Bread). It is one of two nations to be part of both the Washington Pact and Canadian Economic League. It is also unique for being the only major military power to continue to fund an active mounted horse cavalry, though it is only used for Ceremonial purposes in modern times.

Your most welcome!

Oh, that's actually very interesting. He may not be alone, but clearly he deeply missed those closest to him. Planetary personifications would be fascinating to look at, both within the Empire and Alliance.

Heinessen himself being the Alliance's personification is also very unique and oddly makes a lot of sense.

I can only assume the Nation-Spirt of Reinhard's Empire would look like Prussia's brother, Germany.

Yeah. It would also suck

Took me a while to catch on that it's Prussia in the distant future of Reinhard and Yang. Hetalia isn't a thing for me, to be blunt. :v

To each their own, I guess. Though one could only go so far with Polandballs before you'd want something a bit more...human.

Though granted, it seems like Hetalia is reinvented or rediscovered every other year...

Status
Not open for further replies.