Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd Suggest:
1) Making the color of the states lighter
2) Making the symbols for the states' representatives bigger (if possible)
3) Making the borders the same shade as the background.

1. I was worried it would too closely match the gray of some of the parties?

2. Any bigger and they won't fit in NY.

3. What do you mean by that?

Edit: Thanks for any advice.

Here's the Amerieurope and Amerasia finished, next is the USE and the rest of the Euramericas
upload_2019-10-4_17-49-54.png

What are the analogues?
Amerieurope: (North to south, west to east)
Norway is Yukon-Alaska, Sweden is NW Territories, Denmark is Greenland-Nunavut
Finland is BC, Baltics are the Canadian Prairie states, Spain is the rest of Canada, Portugal is NFL, Greece is Maritimes
Croatia is Cascadia, Macedonia is Montana-North Dakota, Montenegro and albania are Wyoming and SD, Czech Republic is Minnesota, Slovakia is Iowa-Nebraska, Germany is easy to tell
Netherlands is NJ and NYC, Belgium is Maryland, Luxembourg is Delaware, Ireland is NY, UK is New England
Serbia is Calinevada, Kosovo is Las Vegas, Bosnia is Utah-Colorado, Slovenia is Kansas, Hungary is Missouri, Austria is S. Illinois, Poland is Kentennesee, France is Virginia, Switzerland is N. Carolina, Belarus is New Mexico, Ukraine is Texas, Russia is Mexico, Romania is Louisiana, Bulgaria is Missisippi, Italy is the rest of the south, San Marino is somewhere in florida (Edit: somewhere near Palatka), and the Vatican is in Orlando.

Interesting concept.
Thanks!
That’s some serious border gore with Hungary and Romania though.
Yep It's a territorial crossover allowing travel from most of Hungary to Szekelyland, as well as from Romania to Romania across the corridor. Similar to that proposed OTL by the UN for Mandatory Palestine.

The allies managed to convince both Hungary and Romania to switch sides by not treating either too harshly- and really they managed to come up with a favorable arrangement for all parties only by carving up Germany. Yugoslavia, Hungary, and Czechoslovakia all ended up with formerly-German areas.

So while the redrawing of borders in Transylvania is relatively more favorable to Romania than the Second Vienna Accord was, Hungary is compensated by gaining Vienna and some land around it.

(or "regaining" Vienna, if you listen to Hungary's version of events: Italy, Yugoslavia, Hungary, and Czechoslovakia all portray the territorial changes as "recovered" territory, similarly to the way OTL Poland did)

What’s the culture of independent Prussia like?

That's an interesting question. Of course the independent Prussia covers the original historical East Prussia, but very little of the land that Prussia ended up covering by the 19th century.

The allies actually end up allowing a referendum in the independent Prussia on the restoration of the monarchy, and the people of Prussia indeed decide to restore the Hohenzollerns to the throne in Königsberg, forming a constitutional monarchy. Germany becomes a federal republic similar to IOTL.

Culturally, Prussia is... pretty similar to the nearby areas of Germany... except that its inhabitants definitely identify as Prussian, not German. And economically, it's more closely linked with Poland and Lithuania.

Not sure what would happen linguistically. Maybe Low German would stay more popular in Prussia? It might be too late for that to happen though.

When will you do the Middle East? Also what are the analogues to Europe, Asia, Africa and Oceania?
Eh, Idk where to do the middle east, so I'm keeping it as is.
Europe is North America
Africa and Oceania are the same
Asia is split between Indonesia (plus malaysia) and the Middle east staying the same, while the rest is Central and South America

Deleted member 107125

Ok folks, I'm doing a north America as Europe world, and I have Mexico, Texas, Arizona+New Mexico, New York (minus NYC), and New England (plus part of the upstate) as Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, the UK, and Ireland respectfully. What would the other states be?
Louisiana is Belgium because of tensions between Southern Baptist Anglo-Americans and French, Cajun, and Creole descended people.
Or it could be Lithuania, similar situation there but much worse.
The rest of the South could be Yugoslavia, formerly united, and many ethnic tensions between blacks and whites.

Hello good people, I have an idea for a timeline; "The Black Maple - A Fascist Canada Timeline" and while it is not at a point where I can consider it worth actually starting a thread for, I do at least have the borders and flag designed for it.
fascist canada.png

These borders may or may not be finalized, though the only thing I can say for certain is that the pale blue is "stolen territories" .

Finished this a little while ago, figured "well, gotta upload it someday".

No man is good nor wise enough
To rule another, or disown
The rights of every woman and man
To live and let live and be left alone

The Jeffersonian Republic (standard outsider term- in Virginia, usually Republic of Jefferson; in Maryland, usually Democratic Republic; in Pennsylvania and New York, usually Columbia; in Connecticut, usually the Polypolitic) is a republic situated on and around the Atlantic seaboard- from the Chesepioc to Malabarre to Lake Okswego. From the southwest to the northeast, its five states are Virginia, Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut. Each is theoretically co-independent and equal in sovereignty, and as such each technically lays claim to the national capital- Alexandria on the Bathommek, Baltimore-Jonestown on the Potapscoe, New York on the North and the Rarington, Filadelfia on the South and the Skulkill, and Providence on the Providence. In practice, however, Baltimore is the most important of the capitals- of the last twenty meetings of the Republican Congress, nineteen have been in Baltimore (the other was for the tricentennial of the founding of Filadelfia). Filadelfia’s and New York’s capital buildings are generally used as museums, while Alexandria’s and Providence’s are also used as regional capitals. Most states use a fully decentralized government system- no official divisions exist and representatives are chosen by their locality (either proportionally, like in Maryland, Pennsylvania, and New York; or by ones, like in Virginia). However, Connecticut divides itself up much like the Republic itself- a polypolitic of Malabarre, Providence, Saybrook, New Haven, and the Western Reserve. Economically, most of the states are agrarian- only Connecticut, generally the coldest state, sustains a more specifically industrial economy. This agrarian economy is largely maintained by what is not officially slave labor- that was finally outlawed after decades of outside pressure and strong Virginian resistance.
no, ye never listened to a word i said.png

Finished this a little while ago, figured "well, gotta upload it someday".

No man is good nor wise enough
To rule another, or disown
The rights of every woman and man
To live and let live and be left alone

The Jeffersonian Republic (standard outsider term- in Virginia, usually Republic of Jefferson; in Maryland, usually Democratic Republic; in Pennsylvania and New York, usually Columbia; in Connecticut, usually the Polypolitic) is a republic situated on and around the Atlantic seaboard- from the Chesepioc to Malabarre to Lake Okswego. From the southwest to the northeast, its five states are Virginia, Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut. Each is theoretically co-independent and equal in sovereignty, and as such each technically lays claim to the national capital- Alexandria on the Bathommek, Baltimore-Jonestown on the Potapscoe, New York on the North and the Rarington, Filadelfia on the South and the Skulkill, and Providence on the Providence. In practice, however, Baltimore is the most important of the capitals- of the last twenty meetings of the Republican Congress, nineteen have been in Baltimore (the other was for the tricentennial of the founding of Filadelfia). Filadelfia’s and New York’s capital buildings are generally used as museums, while Alexandria’s and Providence’s are also used as regional capitals. Most states use a fully decentralized government system- no official divisions exist and representatives are chosen by their locality (either proportionally, like in Maryland, Pennsylvania, and New York; or by ones, like in Virginia). However, Connecticut divides itself up much like the Republic itself- a polypolitic of Malabarre, Providence, Saybrook, New Haven, and the Western Reserve. Economically, most of the states are agrarian- only Connecticut, generally the coldest state, sustains a more specifically industrial economy. This agrarian economy is largely maintained by what is not officially slave labor- that was finally outlawed after decades of outside pressure and strong Virginian resistance.
View attachment 492787
You mention Virginia a lot, but you realize that this doesn’t even include Virginia?

Here's the Amerieurope and Amerasia finished, next is the USE and the rest of the Euramericas
View attachment 492711

I like South America very much, to be honest. Also interesting choice of Chile as Pakistan and Argentina and India, and Amazonia is indeed a good Tibet analogue! Regarding Bhutan, you could take a very mountanous region of Bolivia (and/or Peru) and make that an Aymara nation.

May I ask what you didn't like about my suggestion for North America? I know you took some inspiration from it, but in my suggestion:

- Utah is Kosovo because Mormons wanted to separate from *Serbia
- Idaho is Bosnia-Hercegovina as there could be a complicated conflict between Mormons in the South, "WASPs" in the north and west, and Native Americans.
- NC/SC/GA are Greece, and the state west of them are North Macedonia as there could indeed be a conflict about the name of "Carolina" this way.
- also, what did you not like about my suggestion for Hungary and Austria etc.?

When will you do the Middle East?
Eh, Idk where to do the middle east, so I'm keeping it as is.

Southeast Asia (including the Spratley Islands and the Strait of Malacca) would be the best Middle East expy, as it does have oil. Otherwise, Central and Southern Africa (there is oil in Equatorial Guinea and Angola).

Then you could even use a North African "fIslamic Federation" as the Canada expy and Russia as Brazil.

I had a random thought. IOTL, Germany lost a lot of land to Poland after WW2. What if instead it lost land to a different country?

Here's one possibility.

The Allied powers, faced with a dire situation following the Soviet Union's collapse in 1943, successfully persuaded the Italian government to switch sides in the war, in return for Italy being promised a large amount of German territory up to the Danube (i.e. the old northern boundary of the Roman Empire).

Note that ITTL, the Allies didn't treat Austria as an occupied country, instead just treating it as another part of Nazi Germany. However, following the war East Prussia is made its own country (known as simply "Prussia") and forbidden to reunite with Germany, in a similar role to OTL Austria.

This would mean that my hometown now is Italian. I can actually speak a bit of Italian already.

But how does this affect Italy itself? Wouldn't it mean that the north is even more dominant? Does Bavaria have any autoonomy or something? @Filo , what do you think?
Also, would Italian governments still be known for lasting not much longer than a year or would Bavaria stabilise Italian politics?

Culturally, Prussia is... pretty similar to the nearby areas of Germany... except that its inhabitants definitely identify as Prussian, not German. And economically, it's more closely linked with Poland and Lithuania.

Not sure what would happen linguistically. Maybe Low German would stay more popular in Prussia? It might be too late for that to happen though.

I think that, by 2019 ITTL, there would be quite a large minority (or even a plurality? of Prussian citizens being able to speak Polish and/or Lithuanian.

QyfQeTu.jpg

A map of the British Isles for my timeline which can be also found in my signature. Took quite some time to trace the islands, but luckily I had nothing better to do and I wanted to advertise the map and my TL a little bit. I'm open for criticism, questions regarding the scenario can go to my timeline thread that I've linked.

Last edited:
This would mean that my hometown now is Italian. I can actually speak a bit of Italian already.

But how does this affect Italy itself? Wouldn't it mean that the north is even more dominant? Does Bavaria have any autoonomy or something? @Filo , what do you think?
Also, would Italian governments still be known for lasting not much longer than a year or would Bavaria stabilise Italian politics?
Well i think that Bavaria going italian means some very nasty black(exnazi) German terrorism. Italy had German terrorism from German minority in Süd Tyrol, with Bavaria (a proud kingdom in its own right) the situation can be only worse than HL.

QyfQeTu.jpg

A map of the British Isles for my timeline in my signature. Took quite some time to trace the islands, but luckily I had nothing better to do and I wanted to advertise the map and my TL a little bit. I'm open for criticism!
How would Scotland unification would play out as if Norse continues to steamrolls into Britain?

How continued Norse presence in Britain would affect the process of unification of England and Christianity?

How would Scotland unification would play out as if Norse continues to steamrolls into Britain?

How continued Norse presence in Britain would affect the process of unification of England and Christianity?
The fate of Scotland will be further discussed in my TL, but since they were surrounded by Vikings IOTL as well, I don't think too much will change, although the butterflies could shake up Alba quite a bit.

As mentioned in my timelineI'm now shamelessly advertising here, the increased Norse presence does not necessarily mean that England will become pagan, as the Norse tended to just usurp the upper nobility, not the fundamental institutions of the newly-acquired kingdom. Guthrum, who adopted the name Jeremiah, even converted to Christianity despite not actually needing to, since Christianity by the 9th century is just very fundamental to governing England.

In terms of the unification of England however, it is much grimmer, at least for the decades to come; we lack a great figure in Wessex, namely Alfred the Great, and his son Edward was only an infant when he died in Athelney. Aethelhelm of Wessex and Aethelred of Mercia also lack the actual means of fighting the Norse, both didn't really stand out IOTL and ITTL Mercia was carved out of Wessex to become a vassal to the Kingdoms of York and East Anglia-Essex, thus limiting the income to fund an army in Mercia.

Status
Not open for further replies.