WIP Map Thread

Well, here's something from another work I have going. If anyone remembers Friedman's The Next Hundred Years, well this is the famed Turkish-Japanese Coalition from the book! This is my cover of that work, combined with some changes for style and plausibility. POD in the 1980s, and the map takes place in the 2050s.

The European Theater is being taken out of my version, as I thought it didn't make much sense.

From the book, the main opponents of the Coalition are India, China, Korea, England, and America, along with various other allies.

ey5C1MP.png

Last edited:
What's Wrong With You.png

Normally, I'd say something like "all of this will make sense in context," but honestly, I don't think it will, since the whole point of this was to make something that would leave everyone who looked at it questioning my sanity. Thus, I give you a WIP for the scenario tentatively titled "What's Wrong With You?" (since that's almost certainly one of several questions that everyone's going to have after reading the full scenario), starring the Great Nebraska Sea, the Confederate States of America-in-exile, the United Kingdom of Catalonia-Euskadi-Switzerland, the Haudenosaunee Caliphate, Japanese Madagascar, Norse Korea, and Polish-Lithuanian Macau, brought to you by me listening to the Lemon Demon song "My Trains" on loop for the past several hours and contributions to your local depressed mapmakers by viewers like you.

View attachment 492118

Normally, I'd say something like "all of this will make sense in context," but honestly, I don't think it will, since the whole point of this was to make something that would leave everyone who looked at it questioning my sanity. Thus, I give you a WIP for the scenario tentatively titled "What's Wrong With You?" (since that's almost certainly one of several questions that everyone's going to have after reading the full scenario), starring the Great Nebraska Sea, the Confederate States of America-in-exile, the United Kingdom of Catalonia-Euskadi-Switzerland, the Haudenosaunee Caliphate, Japanese Madagascar, Norse Korea, and Polish-Lithuanian Macau, brought to you by me listening to the Lemon Demon song "My Trains" on loop for the past several hours and contributions to your local depressed mapmakers by viewers like you.

I don't know why, but this seems like a result of various ISOTS. And I love it. Honestly, I wouldn't mind using a few for the next ISOT game.

upload_2019-10-2_18-43-50.png

Two weeks and change later, I am finally done with Louisiana's 55 departments. Also, Florida is Lusophone now, picked up by Portugal at the end of TTL's War of the Quadruple (now Quintuple) Alliance.

Progress marches on!

Remember that this is a map produced from the in-universe American point-of-view, so it will not have the granularity and colorfulness that you might expect. Its job is to show the major alliances and flashpoints of the Great Asian War, as historians will remember this mid-21st century struggle.

Now you may be wondering: how the fk do Turkey, Japan, and Buddies stand up to an alliance consisting of most of continental Asia and Europe, backed by America?

Well there's a few things.

1) Logistics: It's a lot easier to build a missile than a frigate. So if you've got spots already picked out on the main theaters of war (eg the Suez and the Molucca), then you get to sit around while the other guy rolls up ships to fight you.

2) Decentralization: It's tough to run a truly massive state and get everyone on board with your foreign policy plans. Especially when the states are as corrupt as India and China, and many people are straight up in it for themselves. Anyways the point is that the large states aren't able to leverage their full potential.

3) Free Riders: Most of Europe is pretty relaxed about the whole war thing, and is basically free-riding off its American friends.

MWsInzL.png

Map to 1900 year from the novel "The Adventures of man in a hat," that I doing
PoD: Elector of Saxony Ernest fell off his horse two years earlier and Partition of Leipzig never happened. Timeline on FAI
I made Africa and North America
123456.png.3158012cc7b79c11f5b541370c8613a9.png

Europa

1 - Faroe Islands (Dan.)

2 - Danzig Republic

3 - Kingdom of Lorraine

4 - Duchy of Silesia

5 - Kingdom of Navarre

6 - Principality of Andorra

7 - Principality of Monaco

8 - Gibraltar (Brit.)

9 - Balearic Islands (Brit.)

10 - Corsica (Fr.)

11 - Sardinia (Fr.)

12 - Sovereign Military Order of Malta

13 - Republic of Ragusa

14 - Gallipoli (Rus.)

15 - Crete (Tr. Mon.)

Asia

16 - Cyprus (Brit.)

17 - Colony of Aden (Brit.)

18 - Ryojun (Jap.)

19 - Tsingdao (Fr.)

20 - Liampo (Brit.)

21 - Formosa (Jap.)

22 - Macao (Sp.)

23 - Hong Kong (DEI)

24 - Hainan (DEI)

25 - Central Java (DEI)

26 - State of Jogjakarta (DEI)

27 - State of Surakarta (DEI)

Africa

28 - Tangier, Ceuta and Melilla (Sp.)

29 - Gambia (Brit.)

30 - Spanish Guinea

31 – Danish Guinea

32 - Fernando Po (Brit.)

33 - Saint Thomas and Prince (Brit.)

34 - Ascension Island (Brit.)

35 - Saint Helena (Brit.)

36 - Tristan da Cunha (Brit.)

North America

37 - Bermuda (Brit.)

38 - Turks and Caicos Islands (Brit.)

39 - Virgin Islands (Brit.)

40 - British Leeward Islands

41 - Guadeloupe (Fr.)

42 - Dominica (Fr.)

43 - Martinique (Fr.)

44 - Saint Lucia (Fr.)

45 - Swedish West-India

46 - Barbados (Brit.)

47 - French Leeward Antilles

48 - Trinidad and Tobago Territory (RUAP)

6IKqYq3.png

New project. Gonna try combine all of Hayao Miyazaki's films into one world. Any guesses as to what's going on in Europe?

6IKqYq3.png

New project. Gonna try combine all of Hayao Miyazaki's films into one world. Any guesses as to what's going on in Europe?
Umm...aren't most of his films set in seperate universes? If so, then that's got to be one hell of a map to make regarding geopolitics in some of his films (including Porco Rosso, Nausicaa, Howl's Moving Castle, and Mononoke).

The war from "Howl's Moving Castle?"
Umm...aren't most of his films set in seperate universes? If so, then that's got to be one hell of a map to make regarding geopolitics in some of his films (including Porco Rosso, Nausicaa, Howl's Moving Castle, and Mononoke).
Western Europe is based on Nausicaa. I'm happy to twist the lore a bit to have them fit in one universe: for example, Porco Rosso might be set in a more Italian South America, and the Wind Rises might feature a victorious Japanese Empire just to fill in Asia.

Not too mention that they take place in completely separate times as well. Like, Nausicaa exists way after the current Earth cultures have been wiped away and forgotten. And some of them take place in a world that is otherwise very normal with the exception of some supernatural things, like Totoro, Ponyo, and Spirited Away.

Western Europe is based on Nausicaa. I'm happy to twist the lore a bit to have them fit in one universe: for example, Porco Rosso might be set in a more Italian South America, and the Wind Rises might feature a victorious Japanese Empire just to fill in Asia.

Nah, Nausicaa has to be in East Asia, because who besides the Japanese would build something like the God Warriors? :biggrin:

Since I'm doing this on 2 computers, I'm going to start posting the wips here, so I don't go over the recommended maps per day on the map thread (ps I hate france, since no map shows good subdivisions past the medieval ages)

upload_2019-10-7_11-29-34.png