Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

How do we know they're accurate? Most of'em seem like speculation.

Unless accurate sources are provided, then this request belongs in the Map Requests thread. I can’t speak for the other ones (although the carved up America between Japan and Germany one seems more ripped from the Man in the High Castle than reality) but the “Greater Soviet Empire” one is pure fantasy - I don’t think there was any indication that the Soviet Union planned to set up a puppet government and/or occupy the southern states of the the US or even annex Taiwan...
He has a sourcebook filled with seemingly thousands of pages of source quotes

Tasmania? Nguyuit?

Nguyuit seems to the the independent state for the Shanghainese dialect

And w. Tasmania, I guess i someone from the 30s proposed it and maybe it got traction back then

I can tell you now, the Patagonia thing has no known support. I'm Argentinian and I checked with Patagonian friends over it. Idk why Wikipedia lists it as a movement.

Idk either, I just went with what wikipedia had

He has a sourcebook filled with seemingly thousands of pages of source quotes

Interesting, it looks pretty comprehensive although at a glance I suspect the veracity of some of the sources provided - for instance they simply cite “the Congress for Cultural Freedom” as a source for the aims of Yugoslav Partisans and their willingness to be subsumed into the Soviet Union which is at very least... less than academic.

F907FDF4-90C8-4D41-B25C-812A7E91B028.jpeg

Last edited:
Should've put it one degree higher.

Also, apparently this was a thing:

0000whynotbaja.jpg

Also, if you think Greenland is a long shot, here's two other modern ideas for American land-purchasing (the first of which is basically what's shown above)

https://vdare.com/articles/greenlan...ow-s-1995-modest-proposal-buy-baja-california
https://www.nytimes.com/1992/12/22/opinion/the-time-of-the-cuckoo.html

So, but for $5 million in the 1850s Ciudad Juarez (as part of greater El Paso) would be part of the United States and Arizona would have a port......

Were they planning on attaching the land south of Texas to Texas, or to turn it into a separate state?

I expect Baja California would have been a territory through to the 20th century. Arizona would have a coastline (albeit a largely unusable one). South of the Rio Grande in the east, you might have a Rio Grande state, modelled after the Republic of the Rio Grande.

Were they planning on attaching the land south of Texas to Texas, or to turn it into a separate state?
That’s a good question. As some were upset at the size of Texas at the time, I could see it being its own state (sort of a rump Rio Grande Republic, in that it’s a republican government and would probably be called Rio Grande). More interesting is whether they’d go ahead with the plan to split California (including Baja, of course), because everyone was upset at how big it was OTL.
california_split_1859.jpg

That’s a good question. As some were upset at the size of Texas at the time, I could see it being its own state (sort of a rump Rio Grande Republic, in that it’s a republican government and would probably be called Rio Grande). More interesting is whether they’d go ahead with the plan to split California (including Baja, of course), because everyone was upset at how big it was OTL.
That's pretty interesting. I wonder in such a scenario if rather than add Nevada as a state, Utah would keep its western territory, Arizona would keep Las Vegas, and California would just get the rest.

Why is it always Colorado for the name?