Pop-culture of the Kaiserreich

Deleted member 82792

I just watched Indiana Jones last night, so I was wondering if something similar could exist but with a German archeologist instead?

I just watched Indiana Jones last night, so I was wondering if something similar could exist but with a German archeologist instead?

Biggest issue with Indiana Jones is that all the places he goes in the films are all in the midst of wars in the KRTL. You could have him be a German archaeologist and replace the Nazis with Syndies or Russian Fascists but it wouldn't make sense for Indy to go to the middle east (twice) during the Cairo Pact War, and to go to shanghai while its being invaded by the Japanese

Deleted member 82792

pd1_orig.jpg

Emerald Fennel as Nurse Patience ‘Patsy’ Mount and Kate Lamb as Nurse Delia Busby in British Broadcasting Union show Call the Midwife. Centred around midwives of the new Nursing and Midwifery Union working in London’s East End between the mid-to-late 1950s and early 1960s, the show is known for its nostalgic charm yet also praised for addressing real historical issues: the increasing liberalisation of Union society following the end of pre-Weltkrieg rationing and fears of German invasion; continued medical innovations and the ongoing growth of medical unions and other social spending; the continued difficulties suffered by young people descended from aristocratic families - as seen in Patsy’s character -; the sweeping changes in the previously-deprived East End; and the obsolescence of religious organisations that had previously handled healthcare in poor communities.​

ENDEAVOUR_EPISODE6_21-0333fce.jpg

Shaun Evans as Detective Sergeant Endeavour Morse and Roger Allam as Detective Inspector Fred Thursday, People’s National Police, in BBU crime drama Endeavour. A prequel to the popular Inspector Morse show that ran between 1989 and the early 2000s, Endeavour has been praised for a period-accurate portrayal of the city of Oxford during the 1960s and the capturing of the existential doubts faced by many traditional universities during the period, as the increased numbers of new technical colleges and a drop in student intake led many to question if they could continue operating. While the modern viewer knows that they did, and would indeed go on to thrive, at the time the fear was a very real one. Critics have also praised the show for the strong chemistry between Morse, a young man of the generation that had grown up under a secure and democratic Syndicalist government, and the more old-school Thursday who had experience of a time when both Syndicalism’s survival and the democratic nature of the Union were both threatened.

NM8uShzI_2412170938311gpadd.jpg

Art from the comic Invasion, a story appearing in the popular British science-fiction comic Future Echoes between 1977 and 1978. Set in the then-future of 1999, it told the grim story of an attempted invasion of the Union of Britain by the fictional Volgan Empire (an obvious expy for Russia) and of guerrilla resistance to this invasion led by the character Bill Savage, a former lorry driver and elected Chairman of a major haulage union. While the story was a decidedly grim one - especially when considered against the more optimistic (yet still realistic and often gritty) science-fiction and fantasy stories usually found in Future Echoes - it was popular during its run, and ended on a largely hopeful note.

a3b40337fa057ef3a7a52b228aaf8e60.jpg

William Hartnell as the first incarnation of the character of The Time Master, a time-travelling alien who travels to different worlds and eras accompanied by human companions. A major BBU show, Time Master began with its first serial ‘An Unearthly Child’ in 1963, and would run until 1967 before ending prior to a long-running revival in 1981. While early scripts have been somewhat derided for their ‘moralising’ approach - the past is frequently judged by the standards of modern Syndicalist values, and imperialist/capitalist societies and aliens are frequently shown as obvious antagonists - it was an advanced show for its day and would lay the groundwork for more hard-hitting science-fiction shows, including the much-beloved cultural institution Pilots of the Future.
What would Red Dwarf or Blackadder be like? Or Yes Minister/Prime Minister?

Biggest issue with Indiana Jones is that all the places he goes in the films are all in the midst of wars in the KRTL. You could have him be a German archaeologist and replace the Nazis with Syndies or Russian Fascists but it wouldn't make sense for Indy to go to the middle east (twice) during the Cairo Pact War, and to go to shanghai while its being invaded by the Japanese

Actually it is rather easy just play with dates.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is in 1936, so have it set before the Cairo War.
Temple of Doom is set in 1935 so before most of the conflict.
Raiders of the Last Crusade while it does go back to the Middle East, one could move the location somewhere else.

Furthermore, one could also mine the various games from LucasArts or the Novels for ideas; like Fate of Atlantis.

9c09649452443.562cb5780212d.jpg

The Fireflash model from the first two iterations of the long-running BBU science fiction show Pilots of the Future. Set in the year 2167, the show tells the story of the Earth Union patrol ship Fireflash and its crew, and their adventures on the frontiers of explored space, in particular their frequent clashes with the imperialist Antaran Tyranny and the recurring theme of helping various oppressed races by introducing them to Syndicalism. The original show debuted with new actor Sean Connery as Space Commander Daniel MacGregor, Honor Blackman as Flight Lieutenant Phryne Miller, Japanese-American actress Miko Mayama as Gunnery Officer Toyama Suki, Brian Blessed as Major John Clarke, People’s Marines, and I.S. Johar as Chief Engineer Gupta.

The Fireflash, like all other vehicle models and sets on the show, were designed by show creator and lead writer Gerry Anderson, for whom the show represented his first big break in live-action drama. Together with the quality of the actors, the sets and vehicles - the ship itself, the Fury Interceptors, the iconic ground vehicles and the Sidewinder Walker, to name but a few - helped set the show apart and gain it a devoted audience...despite the number of alien worlds that seemed to look suspiciously like quarries in Wales...

Though it lacked the scope and budget of the famous Commonwealth of America show Star Voyages and its future iterations, Pilots of the Future proved a smash success both in Britain and enjoyed moderate success elsewhere in the Internationale, in particular North America...and bootlegs would come to be popular even in Australasia and Japan during the 1970s.

08-31.jpg

One of the three Fury Interceptors carried by the Fireflash in-show, flown by Flight-Lieutenant Phryne Miller and two subordinates.

61a57a1606e7051beb9ed9941d25e00f.jpg

Honor Blackman as Flight-Lieutenant Phryne Miller. The character would prove to be the break-out character of Pilots of the Future, ensuring it a solid audience of young people of both genders: young girls across the Union of Britain found the tough, glamorous character an inspirational one, a model to aspire to, while a lot of men within the Union (and, indeed, anywhere else it aired) will - if asked - admit that the character was an early crush of theirs (as will a certain number of women...). The hinted-at romantic angle between herself and Commander MacGregor would also draw viewer attention, given the considerable chemistry between herself and Sean Connery.

seek-01.jpg

Jacqueline Pearce as Space Commander Anna Servalan in Pilots of the Future: Second Phase. Airing during the late 1970s, this iteration of the show - beginning at a time of increased tensions between the Internationale and the Russian bloc - was a more dark affair, with a wider-scope arc of a looming war with the Antarans. Pearse’s Servalan was a more driven, darker character, hinted to suffer from PTSD and having a personal grudge against the Antarans over the death of her parents. A recurring theme in the show was the Fireflash working to actively undermine Antaran rule over their subject races by aggressively exporting revolution, as well as reluctantly having to try to build an alliance with the Solar Kingdom of Yamatai (a reference to the Internationale’s semi-secret understanding with Japan and its allies).

Pearce’s acting would gain great praise, as would Sylvester McCoy’s character of Doctor Henry Monk, ostensibly the ship’s physician and an avid lover of the natural world...but also a talented spymaster.​

images

Nigel Hawthorne as Citizen Humphery,Paul Eddigton as Chairman Jim Hacker and Derek Fowlds as Citizen Wooley from Yes,Chairman, a show produced in the waning days of the Union of Britain lampooning the various forms of corruption which had overtaken the Union's Political and economic structures.Memorable bits included Citizen Humphery discussing the reasons why Union chairman taking money from corrupt practices was just fine and dandy ("It's how things are done, All civil servants know that our work is by far the most important for the good union, even if the ungrateful welts of the people don't feel that way, what's the harm in taking abit from the till") Chairman Hacker explaining the critical importance of forcing Syndicalism on the People of Sweden, one of the Internatale's many foreign interventions ("Why it's so obviously the best form of government, these folks just need abit of helping along to see that. If that helping includes bombing the daylights out of their reactionary towns and getting rid of those lovely little shops so be it") and Citizen Wooly trying to go through the maze of inefficiency in Union government in his quest to build more restrooms in the London Underground (After spending the whole day looking around for documentation to authorize him to build it all up" I think I've finally found the documents which authorize me to build more sinks,Now all I have to do is to sign them all and have them approved by the union of Toiletry workers, the Union of Underground Facilities, The Union of Sanitation,oh and all the union of track layers") Aired by the British Broadcasting Union until the various Unions and Ministries of Government Demanded it was taken off the air, it was wildly popular among the British audience and the internatale at large. Later many Historians thought of it as early public recognition of the faults of Syndicalism which would eventually lead to its fall in the early 90s.

Last edited:
‘Swords and Gears: A Study of Fantasy Literature and its evolution within the Internationale’
by Doctor Judith Fairfax, Magdalen College
Collected in the book Essays on Popular Fiction since the Revolutions (New York, 2011)
When it comes to popular fiction within the Internationale in general - and in North America and Britain in particular- speculative fiction has always enjoyed a strong position. Science-fiction, in particular that of a more optimistic type showing better futures made possible by scientific advancements and the brotherhood of humanity, has themes that strongly resonate within the Syndicalist world. As to horror, it is of course a universal genre that works wherever in the world one is.

Fantasy, however, was something that some thought initially might not fit in with the new trends as seen in Syndicalist writing. While this might seem an unusual opinion - especially given the popularity of superhero works such as Superman and Wonder Woman, both of which effectively brought fantastical and mythological tropes into play for the modern age - there was a reason for this, and it lies in the nature of fantasy as a genre. When we look at early pioneers of fantasy, for example pre-Civil War Howard, Tolkien or Lewis, we note the more primitive eras and aesthetics at play, and we in certain works we note the assumption of monarchy as a natural order, at least from the point of view of the protagonists. This, of course, would be antithetical to a dedicated Syndicalist, and would be unpopular to say the least.

This fact, and the corresponding fact that a writer would begin from a point of view of monarchy as a system with severe flaws, ultimately is why fantasy writing developed as it did among Internationale writers: namely, with the establishment of sword-and-sorcery stories as the dominant form of fantasy. Primarily focused as this genre is on individual characters and their exploits rather than wider scope politics, such stories remain universal in their appeal: while one might not enjoy a story about the return of a perfect, ‘rightful’ king to claim an ancient throne and automatically set things right, the reader can enjoy an imperfect barbarian swordsman or swordswoman fighting to stay alive in a world that, while decidedly imperfect, is recognised as such and is all he or she knows.

Moreover, as time went on, the focus on character-driven works would lead to the gradual growth of more subversive protagonists, shown rebelling against or resisting corrupt institutions. This process had begun with pre-Civil War Conan the Barbarian stories, which had as a central theme the decay and corruption of once-powerful empires and kingdoms prior to their eventual conquest. It would be gradually magnified in later stories, stories in which corrupt nobles and priests would become ever-more prominent as Conan’s enemies. This trend would be seen in later works in the genre: Clark Ashton Smith’s Hyperborean stories of the master-thief Satampra Zeiros featured his targeting corrupt priests and nobility for his thefts, as seen in particular in ‘The Theft of the Thirty-Nine Girdles’ which details the corruption of the setting’s priesthood; Anne Donovan’s Tales of Tiana feature the titular swordswoman protecting the poor of her world from rapacious nobles and often taking it upon herself to teach said nobles ‘lessons’ ranging from deadly, as in 1952’s ‘The Serpent Rider’ to merely embarrassing, such as the fate of Lady Hayla in ‘The Crimson Moon Waxes’ of the following year...

...by contrast, there has only been one truly stand-out example of ‘heroic fantasy’ as some have termed it in the Internationale. This is, of course, the Renewal Cycle by Ursula LeGuin. It has been long considered a ‘Syndicalist rebuttal’ to the imitators of Tolkien who were popular in Australasia and Russia during the 1970s. Focused as it is around the wizard Hawke and the shieldmaiden Kyra’s resistance to Valtor, an evil man armed with mythical weapons and claiming he is the prophesied king of the land of Tenar, and ending with a peasant rebellion that puts and end to the age of kings, one can see why...

Hmmm...

Might need to see what Yes, Minister would look like in my TL at some point... :p
I mean it honestly does not that have to be that different, Corruption and Political machines in Unions would be a defenite problem, The diffrence is that while my TL's Union stuck its head in the sand and used societal and govermental pressure to silence dissent, your union probably listens and takes measures to reform before the rot it goes too far. Plus not getting involved in too many foreign wars

I really love the idea of an Alternative History in an Alternative History. And I also think it makes sense, that alternative history would in the Kaiserreich TL more a german, then an anglo-saxon thing, because my personal theory is, that AH is always more popular in Nations with a "good" history.

I assume Erich Remarques"A Third Reich" wouldn´t come out of nowhere, so I had the idea, that an equivalent to OTL "If it happend otherwise" would exist.

So I put some thoughts in it, what kind of essays "Wenn es anders gekommen wäre" could include.

First two essays by Oswald Spengler:

"WI Antonius and Cleopatra won at Actium"

and

"WI Columbus sailed for France"

other essays

“If Austria had NOT won the battle of Königgrätz”

“If Frederick II. had escaped to England”

“If the Turks had conquered Vienna”

“If the November-uprising had succeeded”

“If Czar Alexander II. hadn´t be assassinated” by a russian author.

“If Mittelafrika had been founded earlier” by Lettow-Vorbeck

"If Louis XVI Had Had an Atom of Firmness" by André Maurois:

“If Schiller lived longer”

“If Bismarck had been assassinated”

one question guys do you think it be inappropiate to put a piece from a part of pure history book in this thread or should I just keep to pop culture. I wonder because I want to write something more concrete describing the fall of Syndiclaism and its reasons which I think would belong in a book of pure history

Any ideas what the German Empire would have for popular culture and media? That and I kinda wonder what the media in the USA would be like post winning the civil war.

one question guys do you think it be inappropiate to put a piece from a part of pure history book in this thread or should I just keep to pop culture. I wonder because I want to write something more concrete describing the fall of Syndiclaism and its reasons which I think would belong in a book of pure history
eh screw it, ill just post the passage:

the Failure of Syndicalism​

To explain Syndicalist corruption and eventual fall, we need to look at its beggingings.In the revolution, The unions took over and formed Trade Union Councils which controlled rations and dividing the spoils of the former owners properties. It was not Totalist (a system which would mandate direct centralized rule) but it was definitely very governmental controlling with very little official Private business (Unofficially, there was a thriving black market). Everyone was supposed to operate through the Unions, who controlled the local economies and being affiliated with larger Unions across the nation. Theoretically these are supposed to be democratic institutions but over time Political machines took over the Unions and they became increasingly closed to the average citizen.The war cemented the system both giving a large degree of centralization and using War time Counterintelligence laws and institutions to crack down on things they considered "Anti Syndicalist" first focused on dealing with Monarchist sympathizers (a very real threat to the union’s survival but it soon expanded to anything which criticized the machine and the system it had created. While things were rough during the war with many shot for (often real) Monarchist sentiment and espionage,after the war they softened into something more like HUAC and the Radical scare in the aftermath of the Second American Civil War (which was thankfully over before it caused too much damage) used more concretely as a political weapon to target people who may displace the people on top. There was also the issue of inefficiency as federal projects had to be signed off on by dozens of Unions and groups often with no particular relevance to the improvement in question. Then came the Foregin policy, which was very hawkish. While There was a bit of debate about bringing syndicalism to the rest of the world (France was very hawkish in this regard while Britain was more cautious) there was no debate that keeping syndicalism in where it already was absolutely crucial, with very little room to compromise. This lead to little wars all over Europe,mostly in places which were conquered/puppeted in the Second Weltkrieg. Ireland,Portugal,Germany, Scandinavia and the southern bits of Italy had various conflicts burning.Ultimately as time,the problems went on, it became all consuming, the corruption very blatant,the government moved very slowly undermining services to the people and bodies kept flowing back from all over Europe. Ultimately the dam began to broke in the mid 80s as people flowed into the streets demanding reforms to the system and drawing down in the European conflicts. However the government continued to ignore them and violate their civil rights. This sowed the seeds of more radical thoughts like perhaps ending syndicalism altogether and complete withdrawal from all the foregin conflicts. Finally the economy broke down in 1991 and the protests took to the whole of Britain. Facing the fact they could not suppress it any longer and fearing a second violent revolution, the TUC in both Britain and France allowed truly free elections which allowed everyone on the Political spectrum to participate. After a ferocious campaign the forces of the status quo were soundly shellacked,with a new congress being called divided between out and out capitalists (themselves divided on a host of issues) and the Reformers...One thing was certain, the era of the Union and the Commune was over. In Britain and France, non Ideological Republics were announced and Troops withdrew from trouble spots across Europe. The last few decades have been rough for Western Europe, eventually the Capitalists won in the debates in parliament and Shock Therapy was applied leading to massive economic issues in both France and Britain,widespread disillusionment and questions of identity begging to be asked with the failure of Syndicalism undermining the identity the founders of the Commune and union installed in the very beginning and to many the identity of the exiles and old Britian being widely unapealling. Iberia became engrossed in ethnic civil war as those the Syndicalists had clumsily tried to unite into a single whole attempted to declare independence and all over Europe, countries which had spent decades under occupation stumbled in the first steps towards civil governance, along with reconciliation between those who had went along with the occupation weather out of Ideological conviction or simply trying to get on with their lives and those who had resisted and of course both Russia and the United States were eager to gain new allies in the end game of the Cold War....

OOC: Any questions are welcomed and encouraged :)

Last edited:
dvr_sun-koh_erbe-von-atlantis_01xxl.jpg

Sun Koh is the eponymous hero of a German science fiction/fantasy novel series which has been published each week since 8 September 1933 in the 'Romanhefte' format (digest-sized booklets, usually containing 66 pages, the German equivalent of the now-defunct American pulp magazine). As of February 2019, 5000 booklet novels of the original series plus 1850 spinoff novels of the sister series Sterneninsel plus over 400 paperbacks and 200 hardcovers have been published, totalling over 600,000 pages. Having sold approximately four billion copies (in novella format) worldwide alone, (including over two billion in Germany), it is the most successful science fiction book series ever written. The first billion of worldwide sales was celebrated in 1961.
Sun Koh startet 1933 as a more fantasy leaning series, describing the adventures of "the last prince of Atlantis" and his attempts to raise the sunken continent. As the series went on, more and more SF-elements were included. Its enormus popularity with the german youth, got the series post-1939 the status "important for the war effort". During WKII, Sun Koh worked as a agent of the German Empire, fighting against the International. But 1943, after the fall of the UOB, although the still ongoing Pacific War and the unresolved conflict with the USAS, the publishers decided to lead the series in a new direction. In issue 500, Sun Koh finally raised Atlantis and discovered that he and the ancient Atlantians are of alien heritage, orginating in the Andromeda galaxy. After that, the series went full space opera.

More later.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
MASSIVE SNIP

Pearce’s acting would gain great praise, as would Sylvester McCoy’s character of Doctor Henry Monk, ostensibly the ship’s physician and an avid lover of the natural world...but also a talented spymaster.​

Reminder = Three images per DAY limit please.

Thanks.