What if Putin married a Romanov and restored the Monarchy?

Most Russians don’t support restoring the monarchy, but a lot of them apparently do while many are neutral.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restoration_of_the_Russian_monarchy

Putin was divorced in 2014.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/04/02/vladimir-putin-divorce/7210689/

What if Putin decided to marry a young Romanov woman shortly after working things out with one or all branches of their family, tried using his power to get their first child (or just son) declared Emperor, and had himself made Regent?

If it actually happened, how would this effect Russia’s international relations? How would this effect Putin internally?

Dave Shoup

Banned
Most Russians don’t support restoring the monarchy, but a lot of them apparently do while many are neutral. Putin was divorced in 2014. What if Putin decided to marry a young Romanov woman shortly after working things out with one or all branches of their family, tried using his power to get their first child (or just son) declared Emperor, and had himself made Regent? If it actually happened, how would this effect Russia’s international relations? How would this effect Putin internally?

He's 67 years old. He better get started now...

Dolan

Banned
He better have divergence back then by having alternate first marriage to a Romanov Descendant. Everything else could stay the same but he then present his, hopefully already adult son as the Tsar.

He better have divergence back then by having alternate first marriage to a Romanov Descendant.
Unrealistic. The only Romanov branch remaining in USSR - Romanov-Iskanders - were a) removed from succession back in 1890ies (thus double surname; the founder of the branch was declared mentally ill and banished from court); b) had no available children.
Even if https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natalia_Androsova has a daughter with her husband (in OTL she had none, adopting stepsons from first marriage of her husband), they would likely be laughed at by the remaining Romanovs abroad - as Romanov-Iskanders are morganatic branch.

Last edited:
Already got the ban hammer once for expressing my opinion of the Romanov's, add my take on Putin genes in the mix and I get banned for life...

Already got the ban hammer once for expressing my opinion of the Romanov's, add my take on Putin genes in the mix and I get banned for life...
Might better move this to chat? and what did you say? you can PM it buddy

Putin was born, raised and was a rising official in the days of Soviet Communism. His entire upbringing and education was at a time when the age of the Tsars was... well frowned upon if you showed any signs of respect and support for their rule. Can"t really see that mindset be easily transformed into one in favour of restoring a Russian monarchy.

If anything Putin would turn back the clock but to the glory days of the USSR; having once declared its dissolution as one of the greatest disasters of the modern era. I think therefore he would rather prefer the title "Comrade".

Marc

Donor
What if Putin comes out of the closet? And marries Yuri Kolokolnikov?
Seriously folks, isn't this rather a fantasy posting?

Why does a restoration require Putin marrying a Romanov? Putin could just make the monarch a figurehead like the Japanese Emperors, and leave most of the actual power in his hands under a position of Prime Minister or Head of Government. The new monarch could get some kind of symbolic role as the head of the Russian Orthodox Church, like with the English monarchs and the Anglican Church.

Unrealistic. The only Romanov branch remaining in USSR - Romanov-Iskanders - were a) removed from succession back in 1890ies (thus double surname; the founder of the branch was declared mentally ill and banished from court); b) had no available children.
Even if https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natalia_Androsova has a daughter with her husband (in OTL she had none, adopting stepsons from first marriage of her husband), they would likely be laughed at by the remaining Romanovs abroad - as Romanov-Iskanders are morganatic branch.

Why would it have to be a branch that remained in Russia? There's apparently a branch in the UK that's been doing quite well for themselves, though there isn't a daughter of quite the right age (there's a 38 year old and a 13 year old...)

Putin was born, raised and was a rising official in the days of Soviet Communism. His entire upbringing and education was at a time when the age of the Tsars was... well frowned upon if you showed any signs of respect and support for their rule. Can"t really see that mindset be easily transformed into one in favour of restoring a Russian monarchy.

If anything Putin would turn back the clock but to the glory days of the USSR; having once declared its dissolution as one of the greatest disasters of the modern era. I think therefore he would rather prefer the title "Comrade".

I'm not sure. Putin has done a lot to try and restore "pre-Soviet stuff". He's raised the Church very high, and placed more of an emphasis on traditional Russian culture. He almost never speaks about things like Communism.

Why does a restoration require Putin marrying a Romanov? Putin could just make the monarch a figurehead like the Japanese Emperors, and leave most of the actual power in his hands under a position of Prime Minister or Head of Government. The new monarch could get some kind of symbolic role as the head of the Russian Orthodox Church, like with the English monarchs and the Anglican Church.

Does Putin strike you as the kind of guy who wouldn't want to have first billing?