Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crossposting this map from my TL, A Horn of Bronze.

As promised, here is the other map displaying important cities and towns of Fusania around the year 1100 AD (about a generation before the events of the next chapter). Some of these cities have been introduced in previous entries already, many have not but likely will be mentioned at later points in the text. They mostly correspond to what you might call a "town-state" which is usually the chief center of a relevent ethnolinguistic group (although in 1100 AD ethnic identities can be very fluid in Fusania, a bit like Migration-era Europe or for that matter this region OTL). As before, the Pacific is at the bottom of the map to minimise wasted space, which will likely be a convention for maps which need to show all of Fusania.

I decided not to illustrate proto-states because in almost every case it can be summed up to "small circle of influence around central town plus a bit downstream and upstream the river/coast". An exception would be Kuksuist confederations (i.e. the Knokhtai Confederation described in Chapter 14), focused around Khadalam near OTL Clear Lake in California) which qualify as neither states nor proto-states, as the villages and towns which they consist of are shifting and voluntary. Dena confederations (as described in Chapter 11) fall into a similar consideration.

Last edited:
The Hundred Kingdoms: An Alternate Britain

"While the British Isles are home to seven kingdoms that have survived into the modern day as sovereign nation-states, when that number is added to that of the counties and provinces that were traditionally kingdoms in ancient times the sum total of “kingdoms” in the isles reaches nearly fifty. Add the number of ancient kingdoms that have since faded into history to that number and it is easy to forgive the famously proud inhabitants of these isles for their poetic license in rounding up and nicknaming their homelands the ‘Hundred Kingdoms’...”

ddh06fz-87f34f09-02e1-4425-b240-a6ca98af049b.png

I've seen a number of maps with similar Dark Ages Britain themes lately so I was inspired to try my own hand at it.

Native Britons do a better job of holding their own against the Saxons and are eventually able to turn the tides and gain some lands back, then eventually unite to become the strongest power in the isles. Vikings are more successful at establishing themselves in York as well as in the Isles and Ireland (where they start speaking Gaelic as in OTL but still remain a distinct ethnic group). The Picts become Gaelicized as in OTL but don't merge with Dal Riata due to the stronger Norse in Sudreyjar and so maintain a Pictish identity rather than forming a new identity of Alba/Scotland.

The Angles and Saxons are united politically but still distinct ethnic groups with different languages, the Saxons being more French-influenced and looking across the Channel at least as often as they do to their closer neighbors while the Angles maintain a heavier Germanic influence due to being under Viking rule for considerably longer; Anglish minorities also exist in the Five Boroughs in Yorkland and Hwicce in Britain and there is a movement for unification and independence (Northumbria also speaks Anglish, but Northumbrians have come to be considered a distinct people from the southern Angles). Similar linguistic nationalist movements are also emerging in Britain for speakers of Cumbrian and Dumnonian, which for much of history were dismissed as merely dialects of British but are now enjoying a renaissance. The Norn speakers and erstwhile Norwegian subjects of Orkney likewise feel more kinship to their cousins still under Norwegian rule in the Shetlands and Faroes than they do to their fellow Pictish subjects.

Saxland and Yorkland follow the Catholic Church of Rome, while the Celtic nations plus Northumbria follow the Celtic Church of Iona, which in addition to having a distinct hierarchy headed by the Patriarch of Iona rather than the Pope also follows different customs such as observing the Celtic Rite, dating Easter differently, and placing a greater emphasis on monasticism, though actual theological differences are minor. Small pockets of both Celtic and Germanic paganism (including hybrid forms) still persist in some remote islands and mountain valleys, especially in the north.

Saxon = Modern English
Anglish = Old English
Yorkish = somewhere between Old Norse and Modern Danish
Norn = somewhere between Old Norse and Modern Norwegian
British = Modern Welsh
Cumbrian = Old Welsh / Common Brittonic
Dumnonian = Cornish
Pictish = Scottish Gaelic
Gallogael = Manx Gaelic

i don't think i can say much else other than the impressive quality of this as a whole. divergent britain and ireland? always a good post. can't say i was expecting sodor, though :p

Well, trying out this little project again: decided to start up again with Z and work my way backwards, to best put some distance between myself and my earlier frustrations.

So this will be a series of (poorly explained) little wanks of nations over 2 million and some less than that (see Vatican City in the current installment). I am renaming the UK "Great Britain" so I don't have to start with another biggie immediately after this series.

MyLittleWanks.png

Well, trying out this little project again: decided to start up again with Z and work my way backwards, to best put some distance between myself and my earlier frustrations.

So this will be a series of (poorly explained) little wanks of nations over 2 million and some less than that (see Vatican City in the current installment). I am renaming the UK "Great Britain" so I don't have to start with another biggie immediately after this series.

View attachment 491165

This is cool, I particularly love Uruguay and Zambia, good luck for the rest of the serie, must be quite hard when reaching Antilles countries

Edit: me be dumb it’s only countries above 2 millions

Edit 2: oh god the next one is the UK

Edit 3: Fck forget what I said

Last edited:
Hi! This is the map I made for MOTF 204, kinda had to rush it.

rpbcrFq.png
Beyond the Great Wall: The republics of Mongolia and Manchuria

POD: Zhang Zuolin isn’t assassinated in June 1928

“I have a fervent hope that the day is not far distant when Japan, Manchuria, and Mongolia as three independent powers closely linked together by a bond of cultural and racial affinities, will come to operate hand in hand for the maintenance and advancement of the peace and prosperity of the Far East” - Tanaka Giichi, prime minister of Japan 1927-1935

In June 1928, the military situation looked bleak for Zhang Zuolin, the Guomindang’s forces led by Chiang Kei Shek’s had crossed the Yellow River and forced Zhāng’s army, the Fengtian clique, to retreat in Beijing, as Chiang and his ally Feng Yuxiang were readying to attack Tianjin for the final assault of the northern expedition, the Japanese military, which had been supporting him for years to keep control of Manchuria, proposed him to concede Beijing to the KMT and retreat to Manchuria, assuring him that they would prevent the Guomindang army from crossing the Great Wall or the Shanhaiguan pass, initially reluctant, he eventually gave in and took a train to Mukden, in Manchuria, in June 3.

After an uneventful trip, he arrived to the region he had left 2 years earlier to capture Beijing, but he was soon faced with the reality of his situation, the economy of Manchuria was in shambles, and his prestige had taken a hit by his retreat, it was then that the Japanese Prime Minister and Foreign Affair minister, Tanaka Giichi, offered him generous loans and investment.

Tanaka, a fervent Anti-communist, had more ambitious goal about China than his predecessor, the corner stone of his policy was the “Man-Mo” plan, the separation of Manchuria and Inner Mongolia from the rest of China, so that their ressources and manpower could be used by Japan and serve as bulwark against the Soviet Union

Tanaka’s demands in return were simple: Allowing the Japanese army to jointly police Manchuria. Zhang knew that this would amount to effective Japanese occupation and suzerainty, but he also saw his power base dwindling by the day, and so in March 1929, he struck a deal with the devil.

The Japanese Kwantung Army took place alongside local polices on strategical infrastructure and buildings with a speed that was proof of the army’s quality, Tanaka kept his part on the commitment and soon Manchuria’s economy was relieved by the Japanese helps and stimuli. But to many in the Kwantung Army and Japanese government, Zhang was still too ambitious for their own taste, he regularly talked of reconquering China, he also had a respected past, now that the economy was doing better, and had a clear succession plan, the Kwantung Army, with Tanaka’s accord, decided to coup him, on a morning of September 1929, he and his immediate family, including his son Xueliang, were put under house arrest by the Japanese force, one of his general, Yang Yuting, secretely groomed by the Japanese to lead Manchuria, and who has had a rocky relationship with Zhang, was put in power. Japanese troops quickly suppressed any dissidents, with this coup, the Japanese unofficial control over Manchuria was near complete.

The Japanese continued to expand their economic influence in Manchuria, they kept investing in railways, mines and factories to turn it back into the workshop of China it was a decade before, the Japanese also manages to secure the southern side of the Great Wall, seeing the writing on the wall of the revolt of the northern warlord - who had broken off relations earlier in 1929 - against Chiang’s rule, decided to contact Yan Xishan, who held territories south of the wall, and offer him weapons and supplies in exchange with a non agression treaty, Yan had no sympathy for the Japanese, but he knew where his priorities were, Chiang’s KMT had to be dealt with first, thus he accepted the Japanese offer.

But where the Japanese made the most advances was in Inner Mongolia, the other focus of Tanaka’s policy, legitimised by his past success The Manchurian railway network was expended into Inner Mongolia and Japanese presence quickly grew there, with effective control reaching north of Níngxià by 1932, terrified by the Japanese encroachment, Yan Xichian vainly tried to counter it in Suiyuan, but he failed to focus enough forces there with the ongoing Central plain war, which the Japanese took advantage of to occupy a buffer zone south of the Great Wall.

With his streaks of foreign policy success, Tanaka’s ambition and confidence grew, he set his eyes on the biggest prize that would definitely contain Soviet Influence on China, Outer Mongolia.

A communist unrecognised state since 1921, Mongolia’s ruling Party had taken a dark, Stalinist turn since 1929, and systematically targeted The buddhist church and forced the collectivisation of the semi-nomadic, livestock agriculture with disastrous results, several small uprising had happened before 1933, but none had significant effect.

The Japanese saw the large popular discontentment and decided to use it to their advantage, they secretely contacted Buddhist leaders in the west of the country to stage an uprising. The date was set to April 19 1933, when the Zaya Khüree monastery in Arkhangai, Central-Western Mongolia, rose up, quickly disguised Inner Mongolian “volunteers” crossed the border and took part in the revolt and incited the local population, the success was near immediate and within days the entire western part of the country was lost to the Ulan Bator government, the Communist part itself was split, while the badly affected nomadic member tended to support the uprising, despite knowing he Japanese support behind it, they represented only a minority of the local party, the majority of the party was undecided, which the hardliners used at their advantage to take control of the remaining party, soon both sides of the civil war radicalised themselves, the population of the country being near equally split, this led to terrifying massacre from both sides which captured international attention. Eventually after the failed first capture of Ulan Bator, the Japanese decided to send the bulk of the Kwantung and Manchurian Army, overwhelming the local forces with over 70,000 men, in the ground of preventing massacre of Buddhist populations, Stalin was shocked by the event and quickly ordered an intervention. Alas, ongoing work on the Siberian railways, the effect of the soviet famines, and insurgent efforts prevented a quick enough military build up, by fall 1933, Ulan Bator and most of Outer Mongolia had fallen to the Rebel and Japanese forces, although regions adjacent to Tuva would stay out of complete control for a year. The communist party was nearly entirely and savagely purged, out of its 40,000 members, 5% of the Mongolian population , a third were summarily shot while the majority of the rest were put to jail for life. The civil war had devastated the country and cost the life of nearly a tenth of the country’s population.

Furious by the defeat in the USSR’s own backyard, Stalin ordered the invasion of the Xinjiang, which happened in late 1934 and saw the region fall under effective communist control, he also finally annexed Tuva, a small, nominally independant communist state, into the USSR as a SSR.

With Manchuria and all of Mongolia under nominal Japanese control, Tanaka Giichi’s goals had been fulfilled beyond most of the army and government’s expectations, at the zenith of his power in the Japanese government, he ordered the Mongolian (now united) and Manchurian government to declare independance from the Republic of China, which Japan recognised without delay. Many in the government criticised this move, fearing foreign sanctions and most importantly, a direct and lengthy war with China, which many felt japan wasn’t ready for yet.

The unilateral independence of Manchuria and Mongolia sparked a wave of Anti-imperialist and nationalist sentiments across China’s cities reminiscent of the May Four and May Thirtieth movements, foreign concessions and missions were assaulted, while in turn soldiers killed dozens of Chineses, after the failure of the movement the Chinese could only hope their country could unite against the Japanese threat.

But United, China was not, the coalition of northern warlords of Feng Yuxiang and Yan Xishan, who the Japanese secretly supported from Manchuria, successfully drove back the KMT from the north and took control of much of the central plains. The weakened Guomindang, whose southern regions were increasingly rebellious, effectively controlled only parts of Jiangsu, Anhui and Zhejiang. Chiang had lost much of the prestige that ensured his power, and following disagreement over the stance the KMT should have toward japan - Chiang’s experience in Jinan during the northern expedition had left him a particularly sour taste of the country -, the more immediately conciliatory Hu Hanmin, a veteran of the KMT, overthrew him, and focused more on securing the region the party still held than seeing beyond. However the next years would show that Hu Hanmin has neither Chiang’s military skills, nor his ability to get funding for his army and reforms.

Taking advantage of Mao’s sudden death, his former rival Zhang Guotao assumed leadership of the Southern Soviets. In hope to reconcile with the Comintern he had been evicted from 4 years before, he followed Stalin’s advice of switching from Guerilla to Conventional warfare, going against Mao’s strategy, he decided to launch an all out attack to recover Guangzhou, which the CCP has lost following the failed 1928 uprising, against most predictions his army succeeded in retaking the city, but the rest of the party knew they had only been able to win thanks to the recent uprising in Fujian, cutting Guangdong from the KMT capital, and not because of his skills. Indeed Soon his true nature would be revealed as he enacted terrible Stalinist policies, the other leaders of the party watched in horror as thousands of people died, Zhu De, a great friend of Mao, decided to stop the madness before too much damage could be done, and he ordered the assassination of Zhang, his fame allowed Zhu to take control of the CCP and so of a large region in southern China, which now was one of the foremost power in China.

With the KMT weakened, Feng Yuxiang’s and Yan Xishan’s cliques controlled the region south of the Great Wall, however the two warlords hated each other nearly as much as they hated the KMT, and they quickly confronted each other, Japan took advantage of it by quietly funding both sides. Internationally the League of Nations had condemned the independences and Japan’s involvements in them, a report was commissioned in Spring 1934 and when the vote was made in 1936 the League Of Nation nearly unanimously condemned Japan for its interference in China, Their argument that they were “protecting China from the communism threat” fell on deaf ears.

Tanaka Giichi died in early 1936, after having retired at the height of his power, he saw nearly all of his foreign policy goals accomplished in his lifetime and had become one of the most influential men in Japan.

He, however, did not live to see the consequences of his creations, The loss of Mongolia and the direct Japanese threat forced Stalin to focus on the Far East before all, and Japan and the USSR would come to a confrontation in 1939, the Soviet-Japanese war, which led to the eviction of Japanese power from mainland Asia and, eventually the fall of the Japanese empire is often considered to be a direct result of Tanaka’s expansionist policies, and the divide and rule strategy of Japan with the KMT and northern warlords may have led to the rise of the CCP as the foremost power in China and the eventual takeover of the country by communist. Tanaka’s crowning achievement ultimately may have led to Japan’s downfall

Last edited:
Edits I did to my Golden Circle map:
Changed America's color from CSA gray to US blue
Fixed Venezuela's border with Dutch Suriname
Changed Africa's borders to show more native countries
Added Kokand, Khiva, and Bukhara
Gave Poland Bukovina
Colored Andorra
Golden Circle-World Map 2019.png

[America]
Beautiful. Well, other than the ‘protectorate’ and ‘unincorporated republic’ nonsense that’s always so distasteful to me. Not America–>US territory–>US state. That’s my motto. If not equal representation under the law, then no representation. All or nothing. That’s my bag. And how’d the US LOSE Quebec after taking it?

View attachment 491165

What exactly is the point of divergence for the Venezuela map?

Status
Not open for further replies.