The Ships that Never Sailed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VVD0D95

Banned
This might have already been listed (and if it is, I'm sorry):

Maria Theresia and Carlos III of Spain.

Both great Catholic rulers in their own right, they could have been *the* Catholic co-rulers of the 18th century, and recreated the Habsburg empire (assuming Carlos could get elected as the HRE). They would definitely have a huge family and it'd be interesting to see what changed in history thanks to their kids.

(Also, I never thought Francis was good enough for Maria Theresia, and I feel like Carlos would be the husband she deserved)

Would this be a Carlos who rules Naples and Sicily as well?

Would this be a Carlos who rules Naples and Sicily as well?

This would be the same. The Habsburg-Bourbons would have Spain, Austria, Hungary, Bohemia, the Netherlands, Tuscany, Naples and Sicily, Croatia, Brabant, Limburg, Luxembourg, Flanders, Hainaut, Namur, Galicia, Lodomeria, Transylvania, and Silesia. Their kids would quite literally have their pick of crowns. Maybe first son gets spain, second son gets HRE / Habsburg lands, third son gets Naples and Sicily, fourth son gets Tuscany, etc. Nobody would be hurting for land and titles, that's for sure.

VVD0D95

Banned
This would be the same. The Habsburg-Bourbons would have Spain, Austria, Hungary, Bohemia, the Netherlands, Tuscany, Naples and Sicily, Croatia, Brabant, Limburg, Luxembourg, Flanders, Hainaut, Namur, Galicia, Lodomeria, Transylvania, and Silesia. Their kids would quite literally have their pick of crowns. Maybe first son gets spain, second son gets HRE / Habsburg lands, third son gets Naples and Sicily, fourth son gets Tuscany, etc. Nobody would be hurting for land and titles, that's for sure.
That’s going to be a juicy war aha

Elizabeth II and Francis of Bavaria
Princess Diana and JFK jr.

I actually like a Maria Theresa, Infante Carlos union.

Last edited:
Elizabeth II and Francis of Bavaria
Princess Diana and JFK jr.

I actually like a Maria Theresa, Infante Carlos union.
Elizabeth & Franz would have been impossible because of the Act of Settlement. Unless Franz converted from Roman Catholicism to some Protestant religion (in this circumstance Anglicanism) before the wedding Liz would lose her succession rights and we'd be looking at Queen Margaret. That's assuming George VI and Queen Elizabeth let it get that far (while IOTL they weren't able to squash the Liz-Philip match as they would have liked, here the religious issue means they have much more leverage).

Elizabeth & Franz would have been impossible because of the Act of Settlement. Unless Franz converted from Roman Catholicism to some Protestant religion (in this circumstance Anglicanism) before the wedding Liz would lose her succession rights and we'd be looking at Queen Margaret. That's assuming George VI and Queen Elizabeth let it get that far (while IOTL they weren't able to squash the Liz-Philip match as they would have liked, here the religious issue means they have much more leverage).

Yes, Franz II needs to convert to Anglicanism before marrying Elizabeth in this case and give up his throne in Bavaria in favor of his brother Max - but this union would be good since we will see another Edward II/James I like monarch again.

Yes, Franz II needs to convert to Anglicanism before marrying Elizabeth in this case and give up his throne in Bavaria in favor of his brother Max - but this union would be good since we will see another Edward II/James I like monarch again.

Another issue is that Franz was a) 7 years Elizabeth’s junior, b) likely playing for the other team, and c) German. IOTL the king and queen thought Philip was too German even though he served in the British navy. While Franz’s family was very opposed to the Nazis, anti German sentiment likely squashes the match. If Elizabeth doesn’t insist on Philip she’s likely matched with someone like the duke of Richmond or another high ranking Anglican peer or heir to a peerage

Another issue is that Franz was a) 7 years Elizabeth’s junior, b) likely playing for the other team, and c) German. IOTL the king and queen thought Philip was too German even though he served in the British navy. While Franz’s family was very opposed to the Nazis, anti German sentiment likely squashes the match. If Elizabeth doesn’t insist on Philip she’s likely matched with someone like the duke of Richmond or another high ranking Anglican peer or heir to a peerage

Wasn't there a plan to hitch Princess Margaret to someone Hannoverian/Hessian as well?

Personally always shipped Elizabeth and Henry Hebert, 7th Earl of Carnivorn

I think Elizabeth II and a Habsburg-Lorraine who would convert to anglicanism would be a interesting match, since Habsburg-Lorraines are known for being communist or liberal sympathies, this would mean we would have the ITTL husband of Elizabeth who would cooperate better with the Russians and England sides with the Soviets in the Cold War.

I think Elizabeth II and a Habsburg-Lorraine who would convert to anglicanism would be a interesting match, since Habsburg-Lorraines are known for being communist or liberal sympathies, this would mean we would have the ITTL husband of Elizabeth who would cooperate better with the Russians and England sides with the Soviets in the Cold War.

At this point, the monarchy has little political power and is intended to be above politics. IOTL Philip was considered a great modernizer of the monarchy, but whatever TTL's Duke of Edinburgh's (assuming they get the same title as Phil did) political opinions it won't matter for the Cold War. Even if Mr. Elizabeth II is the second coming of Lenin he won't be allowed to influence British politics.

Edward VII and Elisabeth of Wied (aka Carmen Sylva), the OTL Queen of Romania.

Elisabeth was actually Victoria's number one draft pick for Bertie, but his sister Vicky, the Crown Princess of Prussia, vetoed it, saying that Elisabeth was not "distinguée looking—certainly the opposite to Bertie's usual taste". Bertie saw a picture of Elisabeth and declared himself unmoved, and ended up marrying Alexandra of Denmark instead.

While Alix took his infidelities lying down, I am intrigued as to how Elisabeth - given her rather flamboyant and emotional personality - would have taken it. Also, in theory, there's a fifty percent chance she and Bertie would have had more than one child (she only had a daughter OTL, named Marie, who died very young), which I think would have helped her a lot. She caused a lot of trouble OTL playing mother to her great-nieces and nephews. And even if she and Bertie only had one daughter, we'd get Victoria II, which could be super interesting as she'd be coming to the throne in the beginning / middle of WWI.

Rudolf, Crown Prince of Austria, and Infanta Adelgundes of Portugal

Okay, yes - her daddy was a king of nowhere and her mama didn't exactly spring from the highest on high, but hear me out:
  1. Her sister Maria Teresa had already paved the path for Braganza girls marrying into the Austrian royal family, and was immensely popular
  2. Her sister Maria Josefa was also already more or less in the family, having married Empress Elizabeth's brother
  3. Catholic as hell
  4. Born of very fertile parents (yes, she had a bunch of miscarriages OTL but that could be an incompatibility with her OTL husband)
  5. Same age as Rudolf
  6. Grew up in Germany / Austria
  7. Was considered sweet and clever, having served as regent in absentia for her nephew, the Duke of Braganza
  8. She's not Stephanie of Belgium

VVD0D95

Banned
Rudolf, Crown Prince of Austria, and Infanta Adelgundes of Portugal

Okay, yes - her daddy was a king of nowhere and her mama didn't exactly spring from the highest on high, but hear me out:
  1. Her sister Maria Teresa had already paved the path for Braganza girls marrying into the Austrian royal family, and was immensely popular
  2. Her sister Maria Josefa was also already more or less in the family, having married Empress Elizabeth's brother
  3. Catholic as hell
  4. Born of very fertile parents (yes, she had a bunch of miscarriages OTL but that could be an incompatibility with her OTL husband)
  5. Same age as Rudolf
  6. Grew up in Germany / Austria
  7. Was considered sweet and clever, having served as regent in absentia for her nephew, the Duke of Braganza
  8. She's not Stephanie of Belgium
100%. Got a timeline idea for this floating around

Alfonso II d'Este, last of his line and after three childless marriages Ferrari went over to a Cousin line.
Well it might have been he who had fertility problems but let's combine with other women.

So Alfonso II d'Este to anyone who had lot of kids.
Nah, Alfonso II was a dick. Nobody deserves that lol.

VVD0D95

Banned
James II and Claudia Felictias of Austria. She was smart and catholic and good looking and may well have been able to rein in the worst of James excesses. Plus it gives James a tie to Austria thay he so desperately wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.