The Q-BAM Improvement and Core Thread

NM reservations, some mexican and central american municipalities, paraguayan districts, uruguayan municipalities, Maldives subdivisions, corrected Sergipe shape, corrected old Aral sea and Dongting lake shape, Syrian Sub-districts and added some Zambian districts
Patches_8.png

Last edited:
Hello everyone ! I am a new member

Congratulations for you're amazing work to perfect the Q-BAM map !

I would like to know if someone could create a Q-BAM map with just the bathymetry. I know Ashtagon had already created a map with bathymetry and topography but unfortunately, the dimensions of his map are not just like those of the Q-BAM.
I would like to keep just the bathymetry, because i find all these shades of blue absolutely beautiful and i plan to add the borders and the exclusive economic zones for the countries later

https://www.deviantart.com/ashtagon/art/Now-with-a-coastline-layer-639754424

Can anyone draw the borders of Romanian election constituencies and the Municipalities of Norway, or are they too small?
The Municipalities of Norway can and should be done. Smaller areas such as Tunisia's second divisions have been done already so it would be no difficulty. The case of Romania is different, firts because these are not administrative but rather voting subdivisions (as US Congressional Districts) and have no validity here and second because those of the senate and the chamber of deputies are different and we would be forced to make a choice.

The Municipalities of Norway can and should be done. Smaller areas such as Tunisia's second divisions have been done already so it would be no difficulty. The case of Romania is different, firts because these are not administrative but rather voting subdivisions (as US Congressional Districts) and have no validity here and second because those of the senate and the chamber of deputies are different and we would be forced to make a choice.
If we’re going to do the municipalities of Norway, someone should go ahead and do a coastal patch as well. It’ll fix the fjords and other land masses and give room for the tiny municipalities in it

Hello everyone ! I am a new member

Congratulations for you're amazing work to perfect the Q-BAM map !

I would like to know if someone could create a Q-BAM map with just the bathymetry. I know Ashtagon had already created a map with bathymetry and topography but unfortunately, the dimensions of his map are not just like those of the Q-BAM.
I would like to keep just the bathymetry, because i find all these shades of blue absolutely beautiful and i plan to add the borders and the exclusive economic zones for the countries later

https://www.deviantart.com/ashtagon/art/Now-with-a-coastline-layer-639754424

That map uses the Kavraiskiy projection, which is mathematically determined. QBAM isn't mathematically determined; it is essentially a drawing of a projection, rather than an actual projection. There are known inaccuracies in the position of continents. This means that you can't simply take the NASA bathymetry data and re-project it onto a QBAM blank canvas.

That map uses the Kavraiskiy projection, which is mathematically determined. QBAM isn't mathematically determined; it is essentially a drawing of a projection, rather than an actual projection. There are known inaccuracies in the position of continents. This means that you can't simply take the NASA bathymetry data and re-project it onto a QBAM blank canvas.

My mistake Ashtagon !

I was thinking it was possible because of these maps : one i've seen in the XK-BAM map series (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dQKogx8fkdZk7-pvOS2jz5OdCEysO1km) and the other i've seen in the Q-BAM Improvement and Core Thread (https://www.deviantart.com/stauffenberg1944/art/2018-full-780241588?ga_submit_new=10:1546931191)

I still hope to find a map with the exclusive economic zones

Thank you for your answer

Crazy Boris

Banned
Perhaps we could have the Agencies of the Navajo Nation? It's surely large enough to merit inclusion, right?
a771c02316cb0a3b6fdcbb102cd8253a.jpg

It could probably be done, how would the borders be shown though? I don’t think any color schemes have a color for internal borders of reservations, using the regular border color would just make it look like it’s five separate territories.

So i tried doing the Navajo Nation reservation. I had to edit the existing eastern borders of the whole reservation because there wasn't nearly enough land for the Eastern Agency.
Navajo Nation.png

So, while working on a new EEZ map, since I saw that a couple of people were poking around for an updated version, I came across something that put me into Really? mode. The place I live, easter North Carolina, had a couple of major goofs regarding its counties. Firstly, somebody apparently thought Carteret County was two counties, although where the apparent dividing line was drawn there is a canal, the Intercoastal Waterway, so that is somewhat excusable. Pamlico and Craven Counties I guess were considered to be one county, which I find personally hilarious because I live in Craven County and Pamlico is essentially our arch-rival across the Nuese River (in local sports, at least). Beaufort County was apparently too big for someone's liking, so they chopped it up into three for no apparent reason. I'm also not exactly sure what's going on with Hyde, Tyrell and Washington Counties, but I can tell you that plus sign is not what it looks like on a road atlas. It's also important to note that the Outer Banks extend further south than the QBAM traditionally ends them at. These islands are uninhabited, as they serve as the Cape Lookout National Seashore (federal land), but are just as thick and noticeable as there inhabited brethren to the north, and thus should be shown.

Carolina B.png
Before
Carolina after.png
After

Now that I'm done ranting about my home being butchered by an anonymous editor, I wish to express the that we here need to stop relying on old QBAMs for our updates. I looked back and found this county mistake through several years of QBAMs, possibly to the first that showed US counties. North Carolina counties was apparently supposed to have been improved upon earlier this year, but I see no evidence of that. It looks like many of the counties in the US were simply recolored and repackaged versions of the same mistakes that have been shoveled out year-after-year. I know we're better than that.

Another small island patch, this one for the southwest Caribbean. Added Islas Santanilla/Swan Islands (Honduras), Pedro and Morant Cays (Jamaica), Ile de Providencia and Cayos Roncador (Colombia), and Alto Velo Island (disputed between the United States and Dominican Republic). Also split up the border boxes for Bajo Nuevo and Serranilla Bank, since they are claimed by different countries, similar to how I split up the competing claims in the South China Sea.
Southwest Caribbean Patch.png

Last edited:
EDIT: While going through the Caribbean I came across an oddity: two islands to the north of Yucatan and one to the west. The western island it turns out simply does not exist, although there is a lone peak 47 meters below sea level at that location. The two northern islands are a similar story. The westernmost one simply does not exist in any way, shape or form
They are these islands:
20.203274,-91.962100
22.114805,-91.398097