Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

Feudal france 1453 colored.png
Feudal France 1453.png
Teutonic Order 1453 Colored.png
Teutonic Order 1453.png

I have been working on 1453 recently and I've decided to post a patch for France and the Teutonic Order.

View attachment 488966
481 BC, year before Xerxes invades Greece with a massive army
This map looks great!
One thing; the feudal states of Zhou China were acting as essentially independent entities at this point, with the Zhou having no real control over them. Around 481 BC none of the states had a real hegemony over the others, as the former hegemonies Jin in the north was experiencing civil war and the state of Wu in the southeast, which had briefly contested the Jin hegemony, was now being invaded by both the kingdom of Yue to its south and the state of Chu to its west.

I don’t see Yue depicted on the map, and imo the states should at the very least be shown as vassals of zhou if not independent entities. I’ll see if I can make a patch if I have time tomorrow.

Sorry if that came across as harsh or nitpicky, this map is really one of the best and most detailed ancient period ones I’ve seen made here. Awesome job.

Makhno Patch.png

I've been mustering up the willpower to make a series of QBAM maps depicting the Russian Civil War - here is sort of a pilot piece where I just drew the Makhnovtchina in southern Ukraine around May/June of 1919 just before Denikin's Northern Offensive. The excellent map below that I found online was my primary source.

Makhnovchina.jpeg

Crazy Boris

Banned
View attachment 490734
I've been mustering up the willpower to make a series of QBAM maps depicting the Russian Civil War - here is sort of a pilot piece where I just drew the Makhnovtchina in southern Ukraine around May/June of 1919 just before Denikin's Northern Offensive. The excellent map below that I found online was my primary source.

View attachment 490735

Really looking forward to seeing this project! I’m assuming the striped bits are not under Makhnovist control but they have a limited presence there?

Really looking forward to seeing this project! I’m assuming the striped bits are not under Makhnovist control but they have a limited presence there?

Precisely, the Makhnovists have popular support in the countryside and have some presence there, but the immediate control is under another faction - on the source map it’s represented as the grey region surrounding the central Black Insurrectionary base.

Crazy Boris

Banned
unknown.png

853 BC-Battle of Qarqar, where an alliance made up of Hamath under king Irhuleni, Israel under king Ahab, Damascus under king Hadadezer (the leader of the coalition), Ammon under king Baasha, Arwad under king Matinubaal, Quwe under an unknown king, and Egypt under pharaoh Osorkon II (22nd dynasty) temporarily stopped the Advance of Shalmanesar II's Assyria westwards

The light colored areas in Assyria are Syro-Hittite kingdoms that are effectively autonomous tributaries and haven't yet been turned into Assyrian provinces. Bit-Adini isn't one of them, as it was never a tributary, and was immediately put under direct Assyrian rule in 856 after it's capital of Til Barsip was captured and its king, Ahuni, taken to Kalhu as prisoner.

@Crazy Boris Dude, your Q-Bams are absolutely amazing, and are a true inspiration to me as I work through my NextGen worldA's. Could you share your sources for Indonesia, Nepal/Tibet, and Mesoamerica? I've been struggling to find good sources for those regions, and you seem to have some pretty good ones given the amount of detail you've put into the regions. Thanks so much for your work on these maps.

also not gonna lie the fact our india's mostly line up is really comforting to me given the lack of good sources out there.

the beginnings of a new list , going backwards, ive got up to page 34 :tiredface::oops: things get quite a bit obfuscated from thereon in. will take a braver man than i to parse the rest.

2000 BC: Crazy Boris
1300 BC: Crazy Boris
853 BC: Crazy Boris
481 BC: Sharklord1
338-218 BC - Rome patches: False Dmitri
265 BC: Crazy Boris
192-118 BC - Rome patches: False Dmitri
96 BC-172 AD - Rome patches: False Dmitri
9 AD: Crazy Boris (with labels)
9 AD - Judea Palestine patch/fix: False Dmitri
201 AD - Rome patch: False Dmitri
600 AD - WIP Mediterranean patch : Kikkomaan
1000 AD: Crazy Boris
1032 AD - HRE approximation: Bennet (colouring style 2)
1045-1055 AD - Konstantinos IX Monomachos Byzantium (italy is wrong): Viralworld
1066 AD - North Sea: Viralworld
1081 AD - Byzantium patch: Viralworld
1100 AD: Crazy Boris
1118 AD - Byzantium patch: Viralworld
1200 AD: Crazy Boris
1272-1278 AD - Ottokar II Bohemia empire patch: Sharklord1
1453 AD - France patch: Sharklord1
1453 AD - Teutonic Order patch: Sharklord1
1519 AD - Aztec/ Mesoamerica patch: Sharklord1
1648 AD: Crazy Boris
1648 AD - WIP HRE patch: Sharklord1 (older WIP europe)
1700 AD: Crazy Boris (with labels)
1770 AD: Crazy Boris (with labels)
1812 AD - September 14 Europe patch: Sharklord1
1815 AD - WIP (eurasia+south america done): Sharklord1
1845 AD - Texas patch: Crazy Boris
1863 AD - January 1: Crazy Boris (with labels)
1900 AD - January 1: Crazy Boris
1919 AD - May/June Makhnovists patch: Viralworld
1922 AD - October 28: Crazy Boris
1923 AD - Germany patch: Pressedflowers
1930 AD: Crazy Boris
1936 AD - outbreak of Spanish civil war: Viralworld (republican factions merged)
1942 AD - September 16: Sharklord1
1960 AD: Sharklord1
1993 AD - collapse of Yugoslavia patch: Viralworld
2004 AD - Taymyr Okrug patch: BionicWilliam

netherlands historic coastal patches: Sharklord1 (only made the roman one?)
antiquity? Mediterranean coastal patch: Pressedflowers
Rome expansion: False Dmitri
Anachronistic native states within modern USA(/canada?) (minus Iroquios, Wabanaki, and Powhatan): Crazy Boris
Austria-Hungary 3rd level subdivisions patch: Valdore Javorsky
EIC India?: Sharklord1 (also some damned foolish thing in the Balkans)
Treaty of Sévres: Drex
U.S.A expansion: Crazy Boris
Mexico territory disputes: Sharklord1

Last edited:

Crazy Boris

Banned
@Crazy Boris Dude, your Q-Bams are absolutely amazing, and are a true inspiration to me as I work through my NextGen worldA's. Could you share your sources for Indonesia, Nepal/Tibet, and Mesoamerica? I've been struggling to find good sources for those regions, and you seem to have some pretty good ones given the amount of detail you've put into the regions. Thanks so much for your work on these maps.

also not gonna lie the fact our india's mostly line up is really comforting to me given the lack of good sources out there.

For Indonesia, this youtube channel is a goldmine:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCInxmQ2FBoKC6gL71adum1A/videos

For Nepal and Tibet, Ollie Bye has made some very informative stuff:
https://www.deviantart.com/olliebye/art/The-History-of-Nepal-685922665

And for Mesoamerica, an Ollie Bye video and lots of stuff from Aztlanhistorian's Deviantart, plus a map from wiki thats good for stuff north of Tehuantepec:
https://www.deviantart.com/aztlanhistorian/gallery/
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...ial_Organization_of_the_Aztec_Empire_1519.png

ST15RM

Banned
For Indonesia, this youtube channel is a goldmine:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCInxmQ2FBoKC6gL71adum1A/videos

And for Mesoamerica, an Ollie Bye video and lots of stuff from Aztlanhistorian's Deviantart, plus a map from wiki thats good for stuff north of Tehuantepec:
https://www.deviantart.com/aztlanhistorian/gallery/
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...ial_Organization_of_the_Aztec_Empire_1519.png
uh, just a note here, a lot of ollie’s videos have very... detailed borders in ancient times and many countries that most sources don’t list.

i would advise against his videos.

And for Mesoamerica, an Ollie Bye video
uh, just a note here, a lot of ollie’s videos have very... detailed borders in ancient times and many countries that most sources don’t list.

I wouldn't advise against them, but he seems to be updating his own work. I suggest look at whatever is new, especially with nepal since it looks very different from what that older link on his Deviantart is.

Crazy Boris

Banned

Like any source it should be taken with a grain of salt and for a lot of stuff he shows I do more research on my own when I can, and exclude/alter what doesn’t line up, but for the most part I’ve found they’re pretty reliable. For example, I’ve found the Nepal stuff backed up by information on websites by the Nepali government themselves.

the beginnings of a new list , going backwards, ive got up to page 34 :tiredface::oops: things get quite a bit obfuscated from thereon in. will take a braver man than i to parse the rest.

2000 BC: Crazy Boris
1300 BC: Crazy Boris
853 BC: Crazy Boris
481 BC: Sharklord1
338-218 BC - Rome patches: False Dmitri
265 BC: Crazy Boris
192-118 BC - Rome patches: False Dmitri
96 BC-172 AD - Rome patches: False Dmitri
9 AD: Crazy Boris (with labels)
9 AD - Judea Palestine patch/fix: False Dmitri
201 AD - Rome patch: False Dmitri
600 AD - WIP Mediterranean patch : Kikkomaan
1000 AD: Crazy Boris
1032 AD - HRE approximation: Bennet (colouring style 2)
1045-1055 AD - Konstantinos IX Monomachos Byzantium (italy is wrong): Viralworld
1066 AD - North Sea: Viralworld
1081 AD - Byzantium patch: Viralworld
1100 AD: Crazy Boris
1118 AD - Byzantium patch: Viralworld
1200 AD: Crazy Boris
1272-1278 AD - Ottokar II Bohemia empire patch: Sharklord1
1453 AD - France patch: Sharklord1
1453 AD - Teutonic Order patch: Sharklord1
1519 AD - Aztec/ Mesoamerica patch: Sharklord1
1648 AD: Crazy Boris
1648 AD - WIP HRE patch: Sharklord1 (older WIP europe)
1700 AD: Crazy Boris (with labels)
1770 AD: Crazy Boris (with labels)
1812 AD - September 14 Europe patch: Sharklord1
1815 AD - WIP (eurasia+south america done): Sharklord1
1845 AD - Texas patch: Crazy Boris
1863 AD - January 1: Crazy Boris (with labels)
1900 AD - January 1: Crazy Boris
1919 AD - May/June Makhnovists patch: Viralworld
1922 AD - October 28: Crazy Boris
1923 AD - Germany patch: Pressedflowers
1930 AD: Crazy Boris
1936 AD - outbreak of Spanish civil war: Viralworld (republican factions merged)
1942 AD - September 16: Sharklord1
1960 AD: Sharklord1
1993 AD - collapse of Yugoslavia patch: Viralworld
2004 AD - Taymyr Okrug patch: BionicWilliam

netherlands historic coastal patches: Sharklord1 (only made the roman one?)
antiquity? Mediterranean coastal patch: Pressedflowers
Rome expansion: False Dmitri
Anachronistic native states within modern USA(/canada?) (minus Iroquios, Wabanaki, and Powhatan): Crazy Boris
Austria-Hungary 3rd level subdivisions patch: Valdore Javorsky
EIC India?: Sharklord1 (also some damned foolish thing in the Balkans)
Treaty of Sévres: Drex
U.S.A expansion: Crazy Boris
Mexico territory disputes: Sharklord1

As much as I like Qbam, It's so fucking awful how we have no maps between 1863 and 1900; that's a huge gap

Ah, alright. I generally steer very far away from most YouTube maps that aren’t of Europe or the modern (post-1800ish) world, especially those on India, Central Asia, and Africa. The borders he (and basically every youtuber) draws are far too precise for those regions, and I also have had a hard time verifying if some of the countries he’s drawn even exist. The 3.0 series of NextGen maps relied heavily on youtuber's videos, and after feedback I realized that those sources had led to serious inaccuracies in regions outside of Europe. Those inaccuracies are what led me to redo most of the series from scratch.

Here's alternative sources that I'd recommend over Ollie Bye for different regions:

This site is probably the most reliable source out there for India - I was pointed to it by @LSCatilina quite a few months back. I don't know if you use photoshop or not, but I have two .psd's that I use to draw borders from those maps, align to a standard size, and then use a script to overlay onto the worlda to trace. This process maximizes consistency; if you have photoshop I could send you the .psd, a modified script to fit the qbam, and general instructions on how I use it. It might take a few weeks, as I'm going through and fixing a lot of the borders in it. If you don't use photoshop, I don't think this process will work as the script uses some resizing features that convert the projection from the atlas to the worlda which aren't available in GIMP or PDN. If anything, at least the 5.0 series of worlda's should be really reliable sources to trace from :p

This MEGA drive
was shared with me by LSC, and has a ton of atlases which are really useful. Your central asian borders look like they're fine, but if you ever have any doubts, the "atlas of central asia" is super useful. Again, I have a .psd that I use to trace borders and a script that adjusts it to the worlda. Let me know if you need it. Also of note in the drive is the atlas of southeast asia, which has been super useful as well.

Hey guys, I'm probably new to y'all, and so are you to me. I happened to find this site and this particular chat because of my combined interest of history and maps. I use many of your maps you already made for map games I do with others. Doing so I got more and more experience on editing and making QBAMs. Scrolling through this chat I found a few maps relating to the 1648 date (a date in history that interests me), I combined and edited those maps to a complete map of the world (including the same colour code you use in many maps, the HRE and everything else). Take a look at it if you want and tell me my mistakes (if any).
map 1648.png

Hey guys, I'm probably new to y'all, and so are you to me. I happened to find this site and this particular chat because of my combined interest of history and maps. I use many of your maps you already made for map games I do with others. Doing so I got more and more experience on editing and making QBAMs. Scrolling through this chat I found a few maps relating to the 1648 date (a date in history that interests me), I combined and edited those maps to a complete map of the world (including the same colour code you use in many maps, the HRE and everything else). Take a look at it if you want and tell me my mistakes (if any).View attachment 492429

Hello, and welcome to AH.com!