Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alternate Poland, 1926. In this scenario, Poland acquires the Upper Silesia and East Prussia plebiscite areas, Gdansk territory, Zaolzie/Cieszyn Territory, Union with Lithuania, as well as greater territorial concessions at Peace of Riga.

ddgpbyo-e3de1b90-7314-4b14-b063-7143029c7495.png

Why didn't Poland just take the rest of East Prussia?

Why didn't Poland just take the rest of East Prussia?
What excuse would they have? The plebiscite was for a limited area. They would still have a strong economic influence over that area anyways.

@Pilsudski I see that Austria got Sopron here. Are there a lot of extra changes to refendums here like with Carinthia? Or was that just a minor oversight? And I am trying to rememeber, but didn't the Poles have some autonomous areas for Ukrainians at one point? Not for very long of course, and I suppose the POD would eliminate them.

Skallagrim

Banned
To combat Japan's demographics problems in the 21st century, the government pretty much goes the opposite route of China and dives into science and genetics for an answer. They manage to create a gene that would, if successful, double the population of the nation by 2070. Unfortunately, it works a little too well, and Japan soon has a serious overpopulation problem by 2100. By that point, the islands are at their breaking point, so Japan decides to amend its constitution and go snag some easy land in the simultaneous Russian and Chinese Civil Wars. Overpopulation is still a serious issue for Japan, so much so that Korea and Hawai'i have cut off all Japanese emigration to keep themselves from being overrun, and the Philippines and northern Chinese provinces are now majority Japanese.

Well, that's one way to make it so that the '90s/cyberpunk notion of imminent Japanese superpowerdom actually becomes true.

Of course, it does beg some hairy questions. Logic dictates that if the Japanese are genetically altered to become hyperfertile (sufficiently so that they soon have major overpopulation issues despite annexing considerable areas), their increasingly vast population will only keep growing exponentially. (The countless children also have the altered genetics, and will each have a multitude of childen as well.) This will eventually turn the Japanese into a sort of... human locust, which basically swarms all over the planet (actually within decades, considering the exponential population increase). And then they'll exceed the planet's carrying capacity, and humanity goes extinct.

The only obvious answers to this are to somehow undo the genetic modification and/or strictly regulate Japanese procreation (e.g. mandatory birth control)... or a concerted effort by all other peoples to sterilise or outright exterminate the Japanese. (Not even out of hate, but purely for the sake of humanity's survival.)

In the aftermath of Crimean War two catholic powers of Europe made a deal...
Basically 1850/60s austro-french alliance. Austria loose "Upper Italy" but acquire Danubian principalities and, after war with Prussia, finally reclaim Silesia, while Saxony reclaims its lands loose after Napoleonic wars and Wittelsbachs exchanged Pfalz for Vestphalia. France get Savoy, Nice and Belgium (Leo gets spanish throne).
Francis of Modena was compensate by Luxembourg (since he is childless, after his death it will became part of France), Robert of Parma was promoted to grand duke of Tuscany, while former grand duke, Leopold of Habsburg, became duke of Posen. Russia was "compensate" by southern Bessarabia and easternmost chunk of Galizia.
But there is one more secret treaty between Napoleon, Franz Joseph... and Leopold of Posen. How could protectors of papal state just overcome oppression of their brethren in faith...?
Cat.png

Well, that's one way to make it so that the '90s/cyberpunk notion of imminent Japanese superpowerdom actually becomes true.

Of course, it does beg some hairy questions. Logic dictates that if the Japanese are genetically altered to become hyperfertile (sufficiently so that they soon have major overpopulation issues despite annexing considerable areas), their increasingly vast population will only keep growing exponentially. (The countless children also have the altered genetics, and will each have a multitude of childen as well.) This will eventually turn the Japanese into a sort of... human locust, which basically swarms all over the planet (actually within decades, considering the exponential population increase). And then they'll exceed the planet's carrying capacity, and humanity goes extinct.

The only obvious answers to this are to somehow undo the genetic modification and/or strictly regulate Japanese procreation (e.g. mandatory birth control)... or a concerted effort by all other peoples to sterilise or outright exterminate the Japanese. (Not even out of hate, but purely for the sake of humanity's survival.)
Pretty much the entire industrial world of 2279 is hard at work on a reverse. Right now, Japan's handling it by trying to entice their male population with... "pleasure bots," and encouraging immigration of young people from elsewhere, as the gene is luckily recessive and would therefore be bred out within a generation if every single person in Japan married a Brazilian or Congolese. As it stands, there are about a billion and a half Japanese in the country itself, and two billion more around the world.

Is this a real image from the 49th parallel? I just spent 15 minutes searching on google maps without success using the farm plots as a rough scale and couldn't find that lake.

I think it was stated that this image was more to the north but can't remember where exactly.

What excuse would they have? The plebiscite was for a limited area. They would still have a strong economic influence over that area anyways.

@Pilsudski I see that Austria got Sopron here. Are there a lot of extra changes to refendums here like with Carinthia? Or was that just a minor oversight? And I am trying to rememeber, but didn't the Poles have some autonomous areas for Ukrainians at one point? Not for very long of course, and I suppose the POD would eliminate them.

Good catch on Sopron, I didn't even realise. I am going to say that is an oversight, at least originally. Whenever I get around to mapping other parts of Central/Western Europe, I'll decide on if it should remain so. As for the Ukrainians having autonomous regions, I am unsure. I know that at least from 1926 Coup until the death of Pilsudski in 1935, Sanacja had some degree of multicultural policies in a bid to keep Ukrainians happy, such as freedom of their Church and language rights in certain Voivodeships. This would be reversed upon death of Pilsudski when the Sanacja-Right faction would come to power.

So... China is being co-dominated by the Japanese now?
Blue China is still mostly Chinese (they've got their own overpopulation problems), but generally north of the Yellow River it's about half and half. The capital has even been moved back to Nanjing because of Beijing's huge Japanese minority dominating local politics. South of the Yellow River, though, its Chinese all the way.

Blue China is still mostly Chinese (they've got their own overpopulation problems), but generally north of the Yellow River it's about half and half. The capital has even been moved back to Nanjing because of Beijing's huge Japanese minority dominating local politics. South of the Yellow River, though, its Chinese all the way.

Huh, shows the Blue Chinese are a practical bunch. Did they ever think of the possibility of the northern provinces seceding from them though?

Huh, shows the Blue Chinese are a practical bunch. Did they ever think of the possibility of the northern provinces seceding from them though?
They're deathly worried, though not so much about secession as them being annexed by Japan. The Japanese are a modern-day Pac-Man, and the Pacific World is its Power Pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.