Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
no, i think that he ran out of steam/is busy with work or school/moved on to other projects.
@Alex Richards is that accurate?

Pretty much.

Also, I ran into the annoying headache of finding that my desires to go full Princely-states with Native American tribes in New England is stymied by lack of pixels in New England for the Narraganset etc. Which then leads to the awful question of 'do an inferior version, or start again with the M-BAM?

I'd have done Iberia differently as well considering that's just based on traditional provinces rather than what I did elsewhere of looking at historic states.

Pretty much.

Also, I ran into the annoying headache of finding that my desires to go full Princely-states with Native American tribes in New England is stymied by lack of pixels in New England for the Narraganset etc. Which then leads to the awful question of 'do an inferior version, or start again with the M-BAM?

I'd have done Iberia differently as well considering that's just based on traditional provinces rather than what I did elsewhere of looking at historic states.

M-BAM! M-BAM! M-BAM!

Moar princely states! MOAR! :biggrin:

Deleted member 107125

upload_2019-9-20_17-46-37.png

An alliance map of europe in my Francewank Althist setting (yes, i know the colours of the alliances are hard to distinguish, blame the THICC color scheme, not me.):

Europe is divided between the Powers of the West (France, the United Provinces, spain and minor countries), Mitteleuropa (Germany and assorted states), and the Slavic Pact (Russia, Galicia and Romania). Mitteleuropa and Les Forces de l'Ouest are staring each other down in a display of power in the Balkan, while Russia attempts to convince Hungary to join them. This is because the Dual Monarchy of Germany, once good friends with France, became jealous of the French colonial gains under Louis XVIII. The same goes for the British, under the tyrant Benjamin III Cromwell, who are forging a deal with Germany to swiftly destroy and occupy France.

View attachment 489255

An alliance map of europe in my Francewank Althist setting (yes, i know the colours of the alliances are hard to distinguish, blame the THICC color scheme, not me.):

Europe is divided between the Powers of the West (France, the United Provinces, spain and minor countries), Mitteleuropa (Germany and assorted states), and the Slavic Pact (Russia, Galicia and Romania). Mitteleuropa and Les Forces de l'Ouest are staring each other down in a display of power in the Balkan, while Russia attempts to convince Hungary to join them. This is because the Dual Monarchy of Germany, once good friends with France, became jealous of the French colonial gains under Louis XVIII. The same goes for the British, under the tyrant Benjamin III Cromwell, who are forging a deal with Germany to swiftly destroy and occupy France.

If the color scheme means a bad coloring, then ignore the color scheme and find a suitable alternative.

upload_2019-9-20_11-11-5.png

Example. I just modified colors, but the Germanic Pact could steal from the HRE color, and the Slavic Pact could steal from the old school Greensheviks argument. Just a thought.

Here's another new map for the RDNA-verse! And after so many years, here is a completed map of the North America in its entirety, where the titular New Austria (this timeline's Mexico) is situated. The original DeviantArt version can be found here.

A very distant descendant of this early map from 2010, it's also a great opportunity to update the RDNA-verse itself, be it making long-neglected retcons and corrections, or incorporating better designs for the flags. Granted, there was a greater need for consistency compared to the American Federation map, as much of the lore and details (particularly for New Austria and Loyalist Canada) still hold up rather well. Not to mention how, in-universe, said map is from the same American company, hence the use of the English forms for New Austrian and Canadian placenames. As much as a certain lady and her Canadian friend might find annoying, but I digress.

And while the map and text does sort of require checking the other maps set in RDNA!North America, I try to make it as succinct and accessible as possible.

And just to be on the safe side, this is a work of fiction. While the map itself is framed as something from within the setting (including references to politically incorrect terms in our reality), this is not meant to be an ideological or propagandizing work.

At any rate, I hope you all enjoy this return to the setting. And that you like the view.

----​

North America: A Basic Introduction

It has been said by many an immigrant and settler in the 19th Century that the New World was not only an opportunity for building something new, but also a sanctuary from the Old, where freedom could ring true. A century on from when the Terror began, however, such musings have proven to be much more poignant. Especially so for North America.

The third largest of the world's continents, North America extends for more than 8,000 kilometres, much of it straddling between the Arctic Circle and the Tropic of Cancer, and has an east-west extent of over 8,000 km. Covering an area of 24,230,000 square km., or approximately 16.5% of the globe's landmass if including the Caribbean and Greenland, it is also where three of the leading "Free Nations" are situated.

Situated at the southern half is the Royal Dominion of New Austria, under the Habsburg Throne-in-Exile. A legacy of Old World glory and New World resilience, its people both revere and surpass their former homelands' shadow. The north, meanwhile, is under the sovereign rule of the House of Windsor-Romanov. For the Loyalist Dominion of Canada has long taken the place of the United Kingdom as the heart of the British Imperial Commonwealth. While neighboring both Crowns and dominating the remainder of the continent is the American Federation. A powerful bastion of freedom and democracy, it continues the work of its Founding Fathers while standing in defiance to the growing insanity elsewhere.

These states, alongside their Gran Patagonian, Japanese and Free Chinese allies are among the major powers of the "Assembly of the Free World." It is through, at least in part, them that the besieged South Italians and British have been able to hold the line. It is thanks to their combined efforts that, despite the loud noises from their Reactionary rivals in the "League of Neutral Defiance," that the enduring Cold War against Collectivism has not led to the total triumph of its so-called "Will of the Workers" even after a hundred years. Despite the constant threats from the Collectivist Internationale, uncertainties over the future and growing turmoil, they persisted. For these countries, to uphold the legacies of their fallen friends, families and other "Lost Nations" even while going forward with honour is in myriad ways an act of defiance onto itself.

There is much, then for any enterprising and informed traveller to savor. Nonetheless, to truly understand this corner of the globe, one requires looking into the diverse peoples, cultures and nations that comprise it. While he or she still could, in times like these.

- “The Knowledgeable Traveller’s Guide to North America.” Royal Dominion of New Austria. 2023 Edition. English Edition.

----​

As a bit of trivia, the flags for New Austria, Loyalist Canada and the Collectivist International were reworked somewhat as a retcon. While still being very much recognizable, I made a point to have them look more professional and in line with the setting.

Several New Austrian and Canadian placenames have different forms that, in-universe, the Americans either don't use or tend to ignore. Such as Ville de Quebec (Quebec) and Kuujuaq (Port Mackenzie) for Loyalist Canada, or Neu Wien (New Vienna), Uj Kismarton (New Eisenstadt) and Novosedlice (New Austrelitz) for New Austria.

----​

Q4gJGOK.jpg

Last edited:
You pretty much wanna princely state the whole world.

Also maybe you could rethink this and finish up this map. So much wasted potential on a wonderful project.

I'm literally working on two major map commissions and attempting to fit a political campaign around a full time job and having time to unwind. It's not completely impossible, but don't expect anything soon.

thanks for the rework, Oxander! sorry if you dont like it, this is part of my first venture into Alternate History, and THICC simply hs the best colors to me.

I'm sorry, no, it's not that I don't like it, I was just saying that you needn't be 100% constrained by a color scheme. To make a good map, you need to concern yourself with aesthetics, and I wasn't trying to one-up you or anything, just to give an example of alternate options.

Status
Not open for further replies.