The Ships that Never Sailed

Status
Not open for further replies.
First cousins wedding are a big NO for Nicholas but if ML and George had an healthy son early likely nobody (including Alexandra) will worry too much for the succession (and instead will work to find worthy husbands for OTMA)... is also possible who Alexei here will never born as Nicolas and Alexandra will stop to try to have a son earlier

I know, but I figure if Alix is pushing for it to keep their bloodline on the thronw, he might relent. Otherwise, I agree with you completely about nobody really worrying about the sucession. Aleksey will still probably happen - Alix really wanted a son and believed it was her duty to have one, but she won't take his hemophilia as hard and Rasputin will most likely be avoided. The Vladimirovichi are gonna have a fit, which is always fun.

I know, but I figure if Alix is pushing for it to keep their bloodline on the thronw, he might relent. Otherwise, I agree with you completely about nobody really worrying about the sucession. Aleksey will still probably happen - Alix really wanted a son and believed it was her duty to have one, but she won't take his hemophilia as hard and Rasputin will most likely be avoided. The Vladimirovichi are gonna have a fit, which is always fun.
But I do not think who here Alix will be so fixated with the need of a son and with keeping her bloodline on the throne... Most likely she will only try to get good matches for her daughters

Would there not still be that pressure though? If not internally, then externally from the court etc?

Yeah, but I think Alix could go easier on herself. In OTL, the line of sucession went Aleksey (hemophiliac), Georgiy (died), Mikhail (unsuitable marriage), and then Grand Duke Kyril Vladimirovich (Nicky's first cousin; also made an unsuitable marriage, caused a lot of drama, and was disliked actively by Alix and Nicky). Basically, a good chunk of the pressure Alix put on herself was to have a son to keep Vladimir and his brothers (who were ambitious, dissolute and spoiled at best) from inheriting the throne.

If ML and Georgiy have a son, he's behind Aleksey in the line of succession, he's definitely going to be better liked by Alix and Nicky, and he's definitely going to keep the Vladimirovich line away from the throne. It also helps temper some of the drama from Mikhail's marriage to Nataliya Wulfert for the same reason.

It would be very interesting to see who this son married - depending on when he was born, maybe Alix's niece, Princess Elisabeth of Hesse and by Rhine (who, weirdly, was the stepdaaughter of the aforementioned hated Grand Duke Kyril Vladimirovich)

VVD0D95

Banned
Yeah, but I think Alix could go easier on herself. In OTL, the line of sucession went Aleksey (hemophiliac), Georgiy (died), Mikhail (unsuitable marriage), and then Grand Duke Kyril Vladimirovich (Nicky's first cousin; also made an unsuitable marriage, caused a lot of drama, and was disliked actively by Alix and Nicky). Basically, a good chunk of the pressure Alix put on herself was to have a son to keep Vladimir and his brothers (who were ambitious, dissolute and spoiled at best) from inheriting the throne.

If ML and Georgiy have a son, he's behind Aleksey in the line of succession, he's definitely going to be better liked by Alix and Nicky, and he's definitely going to keep the Vladimirovich line away from the throne. It also helps temper some of the drama from Mikhail's marriage to Nataliya Wulfert for the same reason.

It would be very interesting to see who this son married - depending on when he was born, maybe Alix's niece, Princess Elisabeth of Hesse and by Rhine (who, weirdly, was the stepdaaughter of the aforementioned hated Grand Duke Kyril Vladimirovich)
Oh now that would Ben interesting indeed. What would the boy be called?

Maria Romanova and her only known mutual crush, Louis Montbatten.

I ship it like Fedex, but she was Orthodox: no first cousin marriages allowed, especially for the daughter of the most Orthodox ruler in Europe. However, if she were to survive the Revolution and escape, I don't think anybody would care enough to make a fuss over them getting married

Maybe James IV of Scotland? Or in alt history a son of John de la Pole and Elizabeth of York

Her sister Maria was previously promised to James, and then ended up going to Portugal to marry their eldest sister Isabella's widower, so that could work.

That would be an interesting TL right there: if Isabella or even her son Miguel de Paz had survived, what would have happened?

Katherine of Aragon and literally anyone who was not Henry VIII (any ideas)

Henry VII and Eleanor of Austria

I guess you mean Henry VIII here right?
Maybe James IV of Scotland? Or in alt history a son of John de la Pole and Elizabeth of York

Her sister Maria was previously promised to James, and then ended up going to Portugal to marry their eldest sister Isabella's widower, so that could work.

That would be an interesting TL right there: if Isabella or even her son Miguel de Paz had survived, what would have happened?
The idea of a wedding between Maria of Aragon and James IV of Scotland was strictly related to Catalina’s wedding to Arthur and was totally scrapped when Henry VII offered his own eldest daughter for James.
If Isabella has survived likely Maria would have not married (but Isabella likely do not wanted survive childbirth). If Miguel had survived Manuel would still remarried to Maria

The idea of a wedding between Maria of Aragon and James IV of Scotland was strictly related to Catalina’s wedding to Arthur and was totally scrapped when Henry VII offered his own eldest daughter for James.
If Isabella has survived likely Maria would have not married (but Isabella likely do not wanted survive childbirth). If Miguel had survived Manuel would still remarried to Maria

Yeah, sorry! That's what I get for posting on my phone!

So let's say Catherine married Arthur and then went back to Spain after he died, the whole Henry fiasco being kibboshed from the get-go. Who would she marry then?

Perhaps Maria could have married Christian II of Denmark..

This might have already been listed (and if it is, I'm sorry):

Maria Theresia and Carlos III of Spain.

Both great Catholic rulers in their own right, they could have been *the* Catholic co-rulers of the 18th century, and recreated the Habsburg empire (assuming Carlos could get elected as the HRE). They would definitely have a huge family and it'd be interesting to see what changed in history thanks to their kids.

(Also, I never thought Francis was good enough for Maria Theresia, and I feel like Carlos would be the husband she deserved)

Status
Not open for further replies.