Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 488902
The Prodigal Sun

In 1754, a British fleet invades and occupies Rio de la Plata. As a result of losing the Seven Years War, Spain is forced to grant independence to all territories from Peru to Tierra del Fuego, as an independent absolute monarchy under an ethnically English king. The nation rapidly modernizes and is second to industrialize after Great Britain. The Confederacy wins the American Civil War as a consequence of Argentine support. Butterflies continue to impact the flow of time: The Dutch are forced out of Indonesia, the British are forced out of Australia, Japan and Korea fall to civil war, Russia and China become democratic republics, and a giant Slavic-speaking state is carved out of the ruins of the former United States. In 1915, Argentina, Brazil, and the Confederate States of America spread fear worldwide as they glorify slavery, intimidating Europe and threatening the mere downfall of human sanity itself...​

Argentine Draka?

Golden Circle-World Map 2019.png

The Golden Circle
POD: 1860
Current Year: 2019

The KGC take over the US, and all hell breaks loose...​

Attachments

• Golden Circle-World Map 2019.png
    Golden Circle-World Map 2019.png
    118.2 KB · Views: 235
DwG3NGdl.png

A map of the Republic of Gwongdei. (original size https://i.imgur.com/DwG3NGd.png)

Gwongdei was first an autonomous military province of Ming China, then a military province of Qing China, a Portuguese client state, a Portuguese overseas territory, and finally an independent country. The Vietnamese territories were taken by Ming China, then half of them were lost to France during a brief war. Parts of Guangdong were returned to China after a dispute over the original treaty which created the military province under the Ming Dynasty. Ultimately, the Xijiang river was accepted by both sides as the boundary between Chinese Guangdong and Gwongdei.

Honji (Chinese character) simplifications took place in 1971 and 1999. The simplifications of 1971 were to bring characters more into line with Japanese Kanji, since Japan was Gwongdei's closes large ally and trading partner. The 1999 simplifications were another round meant to take some Chinese simplifications (plus some newer Japanese ones) since trade and interaction with China picked up more once China liberalized in 1989. In most cases, Gwongdei Honji are indistinguishable from Japanese Kanji.

Portuguese administration ended on January 1st, 1986. The national flag was adopted soon after (it had been used at protests before and was well-known). The green and orange flag bears a stylized flower from a Gui tree (fragrant osmanthus) which is famous in Gwongdei. The country's official name was chosen as Gwongdei (Yutyu / Cantonese), Guangde (Putonghua / Mandarin) and Goadei (Portuguese) - all derived from the Honji for "vast land".

Korea isn't very different from OTL Korea during this time period. They do however have quite a substantial Russian speaking and mixed population due to soldiers marrying locals and wartime shananagans.

The court language is Mongolian and most of the ruling class are former high ranking personnel in the Russian army. So mostly Russians and Mongolians.

Both Sweden and the Commonwealth have a field trip over in Eastern Europe once the government collapses. Barely any fighting age men remain in those areas after the shit hits the fan.

With this case of Chorson you were illustrating, I can imagine a resurgence of Mongolian political power in China after the fall of Yuan dynasty centuries ago. The Manchurians could well be kicked out from the new imperial court, while the Han Chinese would be recruited by both the Mongolian boogeyman and the Russian boss as their henchmen for their new reconquest of China, some might even acquire nobility status. But they might have to learn to be a proper Russian moreso than for the Russians to be a proper Chinese.

An ethnic Han state in South China can be possible if the Russians fear of the power a retaliating and unified China would unleash upon them. Buying and coercing the remaining Ming loyalists, "the Tsardom of Ming" could be a regional commercial centre and industrial powerhouse. Or the Russians would just slaughter them all anyway, because conquerors being conquerors, they may also allow the Mongolians to do so as a bonus for their loyalty to the throne of the Two-headed Eagle.

Meh. There's Southern then there's Southron. By 1991, I'd not even include Virginia in the CSA, and maybe not North Carolina. Florida would be a toss-up.
Agreed. Florida is much too unique nowadays to be considered fully Southern. Between the white hillbillies in the north, the retirees and tourists in the middle, and the Cubans and other Latino immigrants in the south, it doesn't fall into the same categories as it did in the 1860s. I see Florida as either going independent or remaining an awkward American exclave on the Caribbean. And I highly doubt that any of the roughly nineteen million black people (and, hopefully, a lot of the white people, too) would ever agree to reforming a country most famous for oppression and enslavement of African-Americans.

Agreed. Florida is much too unique nowadays to be considered fully Southern....

You know the truest measure of whether or not your state is Southern?
Sweet Tea.
I ordered Sweet Tea in Virginia and the waitress looked puzzled and just brought me ice tea with sugar packets.
Mason-Dixon's got nothing on Sweet Tea.

Sweet Tea.
I ordered Sweet Tea in Virginia and the waitress looked puzzled and just brought me ice tea with sugar packets.

Not sure what part you were in, but I definitely drank sweet tea growing up in Virginia. Then again, there IS D.C. next door, so anywhere north of the Rappahannock is kind of a crapshoot.

Not sure what part you were in, but I definitely drank sweet tea growing up in Virginia. Then again, there IS D.C. next door, so anywhere north of the Rappahannock is kind of a crapshoot.
Roundabout Roanoke. And this was only... I don't know, 6-7 years ago.

Agreed. Florida is much too unique nowadays to be considered fully Southern. Between the white hillbillies in the north, the retirees and tourists in the middle, and the Cubans and other Latino immigrants in the south, it doesn't fall into the same categories as it did in the 1860s. I see Florida as either going independent or remaining an awkward American exclave on the Caribbean. And I highly doubt that any of the roughly nineteen million black people (and, hopefully, a lot of the white people, too) would ever agree to reforming a country most famous for oppression and enslavement of African-Americans.

Yes, but in TL "Back in the USSA", the country being communist, there will be less chance that Florida becomes a paradise for pensioners and other Cubans, it would probably keep its southern aspect tinged with a strong past Marxist.

Roundabout Roanoke. And this was only... I don't know, 6-7 years ago.
Well it is (or perhaps was, I haven't been back in some time) a thing in the Tidewater and Richmond, so I don't know what to tell you. Either way, I tend to look at Southernness as less of an "all-or-nothing" thing in this day and age, a bit of variation from the norm doesn't really mean anything. After all, VA does have Zaxby's and boiled peanuts :p

Sweet Tea.
Hey, that's how we do it in Texas! Or at least, used to

Status
Not open for further replies.