Pre-1900 Alternate History Tropes/Cliches:

Spain is doomed to fail the moment the Habsburgs succeed to their throne. Corollary to that, Latin American great powers (outside of maybe Brazil) being highly improbable. At least it's better than when it was when I joined AH.com; back then the cliché was "nothing ever happens in South America".

A trope of these threads about tropes: tropes only pertain to Europe, European diaspora and European colonialism. Never heard of a trope mentioned regarding ancient Egypt or such.

The Pre-1900 section is not filled only with timelines though. There are discussions regarding a myriad of topics. These count as alternate history also, I would say.

Remembering the general tenor of discussion threads is even harder than identifying trends within timelines, though. Timelines are stories, so they're designed to be easily digested and to impart ideas. A discussion thread can get bogged down in jokes or go so far off track that you forget what you're doing there. And there's still not nearly as many Egypt-focused threads, so, again, far harder to recognize patterns.

Remembering the general tenor of discussion threads is even harder than identifying trends within timelines, though. Timelines are stories, so they're designed to be easily digested and to impart ideas. A discussion thread can get bogged down in jokes or go so far off track that you forget what you're doing there. And there's still not nearly as many Egypt-focused threads, so, again, far harder to recognize patterns.

You are correct, yet my point is to establish my general concern at times. When we conceive of the vast period of time that is pre-1900, much of what is discussed is related to Europe in a short period of time ( not medieval or Roman or much much less, pre-Roman Europe) and others are pushed to the exterior due to the popularity of the timeframe of 1700-1899 Europe and European diaspora.

Then there are many who make the token call: ‘we need more diverse timelines, more diverse topics to be discussed!’ Where is the timeline on so and so not Europe after Rome!? Yet whence these timelines are made, performed and such, they receive little traffic from those who sound the call.

Anyway, this is a bit off-topic, yet my original point stands.

You are correct, yet my point is to establish my general concern at times. When we conceive of the vast period of time that is pre-1900, much of what is discussed is related to Europe in a short period of time ( not medieval or Roman or much much less, pre-Roman Europe) and others are pushed to the exterior due to the popularity of the timeframe of 1700-1899 Europe and European diaspora.

Then there are many who make the token call: ‘we need more diverse timelines, more diverse topics to be discussed!’ Where is the timeline on so and so not Europe after Rome!? Yet whence these timelines are made, performed and such, they receive little traffic from those who sound the call.

Anyway, this is a bit off-topic, yet my original point stands.

Well, the disconnect between the calls for diversity and interest in diverse subjects is an issue, though I'd call it a cultural issue with this community rather than a trope of the genre. And the lack of tropes regarding Egypt or other places definitely isn't a trope - as things stand, it's a natural result of statistics.

Well, the disconnect between the calls for diversity and interest in diverse subjects is an issue, though I'd call it a cultural issue with this community rather than a trope of the genre. And the lack of tropes regarding Egypt or other places definitely isn't a trope - as things stand, it's a natural result of statistics.

Well we can disregard Egypt. There are several timelines regarding the Abbasid caliphate and the Islamic caliphates. These can be included within my initial argument.

Regardless, arguments over semantics such as these without understanding the points I was in complaint of; is not a topic with which my time is not needed to be wasted. Those who understand my complaint will do so, those who do not, likewise are as they wish.

People either disregarding Southeast Asia (both mainland and maritime), or see it as giant blobs that can be colored by colonizing Europeans. The region is as complicated and diverse as the Mediterranean basin, if not more so, and the entire regional map can be great source of weird timelines. White Rajahs, Annamese emperors, Papuan sultans, and matrilineal cultures can all be played with, with some very drastic changes to world history as a result.

The Pre-1900 section is not filled only with timelines though. There are discussions regarding a myriad of topics. These count as alternate history also, I would say.

I have long wanted the Pre-1900 section to be Split in two or more. One for say a classical section say pre-600s CE and another for say everything after that. One could probably say split things further but I do think at the least a section of the forums for Classical/Antiquity threads would make it easier to find them and discuss them. :)

I have long wanted the Pre-1900 section to be Split in two or more. One for say a classical section say pre-600s CE and another for say everything after that. One could probably say split things further but I do think at the least a section of the forums for Classical/Antiquity threads would make it easier to find them and discuss them. :)
A split would be good but also a tag system for identifying the periods would work

Agreed. I mean, it seems that one forum has "stuff that happened in the last 119 years", the other one "stuff that happened since the beginning of mankind, but without changing the Earth itself being involved". Of course, it could very well be a division between general Antiquity, Pre and Post Modern history. Historum does it like that (albeit it is much more focused in discussion than actual writing).

Agreed. I mean, it seems that one forum has "stuff that happened in the last 119 years", the other one "stuff that happened since the beginning of mankind, but without changing the Earth itself being involved". Of course, it could very well be a division between general Antiquity, Pre and Post Modern history. Historum does it like that (albeit it is much more focused in discussion than actual writing).

While I wouldn't be opposed to such a split, there's the fact that the Second World War and American politics are so discussed that even with the Pre/Post 1900 split the latter still gets more discussion in my experience.

Whereas this forum could be split into American Civil War (far less so these days than back in the late 2000s), European royal matchmaking, and everything else.

I have long wanted the Pre-1900 section to be split in two or more. One for say a classical section say pre-600s CE and another for say everything after that. One could probably say split things further but I do think at the least a section of the forums for Classical/Antiquity threads would make it easier to find them and discuss them. :)

Antiquity: Prehistory to 476 A.D. [Least Popular, I can assure you]
Middle-Ages: 600 A.D to 1492 A.D.
Modern Period: 1492 to 1900 A.D. [Most Popular]

Antiquity: Prehistory to 476 A.D. [Least Popular, I can assure you]
Middle-Ages: 600 A.D to 1492 A.D.
Modern Period: 1492 to 1900 A.D. [Most Popular]
Possible but at least would be easier find the threads...
Or we can go with a tag system like that of the fandom section if a whole split of the section is too much...

People either disregarding Southeast Asia (both mainland and maritime), or see it as giant blobs that can be colored by colonizing Europeans. The region is as complicated and diverse as the Mediterranean basin, if not more so, and the entire regional map can be great source of weird timelines. White Rajahs, Annamese emperors, Papuan sultans, and matrilineal cultures can all be played with, with some very drastic changes to world history as a result.
Hahahaha, indeed.

Minangkabau shall rule the world! Conquest through migration(and overwhelm the local), technological uplift due to tech/knowledge transfering by migrating/adventuring culture!!!

America Uber Alles: All the United States has to do is simply sneeze in the direction of any other state and it will magically win the confrontation, because: America! And American culture is awesome and everyone will want to adopt it. Even if the POD is in the 18th century, Teddy Roosevelt shall RISE :)

Seriously, the amount of American Exceptionalism on these boards can get annoying and absurd at times (and I'm saying this as an American who rather likes the country of my birth)

I'd also include the related: Rome Uber Alles. The same as the above, only with Rome. And no Teddy Roosevelt (although THAT would be something)
Someone write a timeline where Teddy Roosevelt becomes a Roman Emperor via ISOT please.

Well we can disregard Egypt. There are several timelines regarding the Abbasid caliphate and the Islamic caliphates. These can be included within my initial argument.

Regardless, arguments over semantics such as these without understanding the points I was in complaint of; is not a topic with which my time is not needed to be wasted. Those who understand my complaint will do so, those who do not, likewise are as they wish.
You are absolutely right. The explanation is simple though. There aren't obvious much or any members with your factual knowledge about the caliphate.