PC: Population exchange between Britain and Ireland post Irish war of Independence.

Could a population exchange be done after the Irish war of Independence.With the Protestant population of Ireland being expelled to Northern Ireland and the Catholic population of Northern Ireland being expelled to Ireland.

What would be the impact on Ireland and Northern Ireland

What would be the impact on Irish-British relations

Riain

Banned
Perhaps such movements might change the demographics in one of the 6 counties to make it Catholic enough to join the Free State.

Well the north would lose a significant part of it's population especially in derry , which would cause quite a few economic issues , and without the Catholic menace , there may be some division amongst the protestants and coming into the 21st century there may be an attempt to seek autonomy or independence separate from the UK and republic of Ireland

Not sure what would be the incident that would set something like this off. I mean Protestant population in the Free State did drop over the following period but there were other factors in that (loss of family in the War, economic disruption, ending of traditional areas like the Army units) but I don't see any formal policy, particularly given the stated hope of ending partition.

Riain

Banned
Where did you visit?

Dublin and Tullamore, my father is from just outside Tullamore and his sister still lives on a piece of their old farm. I had a car in Tullamore so did a bit of driving on Ireland's claustrophobic roads, went over to Galway for a look.