Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
- The Spanish Empire does not fall for longer (again, TTL is still being conceptualized, so you can imagine your own butterflies).
- The Spanish-American war of TTL is in the 1880s, and ends with Baja California, Cuba, Sonora, and Chihuahua in the Union.
So New Spain remains controlled directly by Spain for roughly 70 more years, thereby meaning Mexico never existed until after the Spanish-American War? Hmm. I can see a situation where American settlers had basically flooded much more of the OTL Mexican Cession (including the new regions you’ve added), making secession and annexation obvious. I’ll have to complain loudly about those state borders, of course. It’s my duty. And “WWI” happening at all, much less anyone but Wilson dragging the US into it. And why didn’t Russia sell Alaska to the US?

So New Spain remains controlled directly by Spain for roughly 70 more years, thereby meaning Mexico never existed until after the Spanish-American War? Hmm. I can see a situation where American settlers had basically flooded much more of the OTL Mexican Cession (including the new regions you’ve added), making secession and annexation obvious. I’ll have to complain loudly about those state borders, of course. It’s my duty. And “WWI” happening at all, much less anyone but Wilson dragging the US into it. And why didn’t Russia sell Alaska to the US?
They're all long stories really. As I said, this IS an idea of mine that's in its infancy.
- What are your grievances regarding state borders?
- I haven't thought about the full details. Though if I did have to give and answer, it's that ITTL the Russians found gold there first. Of course I may change it in the future, but that's the idea for now.

I also admit that I'd only have the Spanish empire last long enough for those territories to join the US.

What's wrong with the state borders through?

UNPA Representation for Americas. 263 seats out of 2000 total. (1181 are Asia-Pacific)

UNPA Americas.png

Note that it's the total population of UN Members that count. Africa.

Attachments

• UNPA Americas.png
    UNPA Americas.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 219
I hope that’s alternate history, because lots of it is inaccurate

For exemple, No way the Philippines are so catholic in 1701 before the , and why are you putting the Maputo region as catholic while there was no sustained european presence there at the time? In Mozambique you should put the Nampula and mouth of the Zambezi as having. *small* Catholic population, nowhere near a majority
I do believe that Delagoa Bay was an important Portuguese outpost at the time. But maybe not back early then. For the Philippines: yes I found a new source.

I hope that’s alternate history, because lots of it is inaccurate

For exemple, No way the Philippines are so catholic in 1701 before the , and why are you putting the Maputo region as catholic while there was no sustained european presence there at the time? In Mozambique you should put the Nampula and mouth of the Zambezi as having. *small* Catholic population, nowhere near a majority
Fixed the issues. Plus have taken a look at the island of Hokkaido, which back then was certainly not Shinto:
upload_2019-9-10_9-26-18.png
upload_2019-9-10_9-26-33.png

My head canon is that it'd be up to each country to decide.
Are China, Indonesia, and perhaps India highly fractured?i don't see the Americas either joining or letting in such large countries if their governments will be able to pretty much appoint all their representatives.

Are China, Indonesia, and perhaps India highly fractured?i don't see the Americas either joining or letting in such large countries if their governments will be able to pretty much appoint all their representatives.
Nah it's just a UN slightly more powerful at best.

And “WWI” happening at all, much less anyone but Wilson dragging the US into it.
Well, my idea is that most of Europe is generally the same as OTL. Even with the UK taking notes on the US.
And why didn’t Russia sell Alaska to the US?
I'm going to eventually revise this map to be part of a series. So for the time being, the short answer is that Russia found the gold themselves before the US had the chance to try and buy it.

This is a follow up to these four posts. I was going to do this all at once, but that would have taken too long, so I'm going to do this region by region instead, but here's the situation in Europe in 1896 in this timeline.

upload_2019-9-10_13-35-21.png

The North German Uprising led to the rise of two independent states that were once part of the Holy Roman Empire: the North German Confederation, with its twin capitals in Berlin and Cologne; and the Republic of Saxony. Parts of the northern states of the HRE with a Sorbian majority instead formed the Republic of Lusatia. Within two years, the Republic of Lusatia voted to join the Polish-Lithuanian Federation in a referendum and gained the Sorbian-majority parts of Silesia.

The Germanies are not the only area of Europe that has gained more countries – in Iberia for instance, Spain and Catalonia have both collapsed. Portugal’s sphere of influence in Iberia now includes Gibraltar, Asturias-Cantabria, Navarre, Aragon, and the remainder of Spain. These states are all kingdoms or duchies ruled by the House of Stuart and Braganza. The remaining Iberian states are Catalonia, Valencia, and the Balearic Islands.

The Terzi Dynasty is also losing land in Europe. Bosnia, Greece, and Wallachia are now independent, and Serbia and Rumelia are both mostly controlled by separatists. The Hellenic Republic of the Aegean also claims parts of Anatolia as its own, but that’s a matter of much dispute. Venice has already annexed Dalmatia and Montenegro and has been eyeing the now-autonomous region of Albania.

Which brings us to the Italies, where the reverse has been happening: instead of larger countries collapsing, there has been ongoing consolidation, specifically in the northeast – Savoy has absorbed every Italian state in the Holy Roman Empire, which just leaves Venice, the Sicilies, and the Papal States. The Veneto-Sicilian Alliance promises mutual aid in the event of a war with Savoy and resolves potential conflicts over the two countries’ territorial claims. The Papal States, worried about preserving their independence with Savoy, Venice, and Sicily all in a position to expand into their territory, have seized on a theocratic form of nationalism and vastly expanded the Papal Army.

Consolidation is going much more smoothly further east, where the Constanta Pact aims to bring the republics of Moldavia, Transylvania, and Wallachia closer together, with a trade agreement and a military alliance. The three states recognize that they have a common culture and ethnicity, but what that ethnicity is called is a matter of debate: Moldavians say they’re Moldavian, Wallachians prefer the term Danubian, and Transylvanians lean towards Carpathian or Romanian. The more pressing matter of debate is whether the three countries should form a single independent state, a single republic of the Polish-Lithuanian Federation, or three closely linked republics of the Polish-Lithuanian Federation.

What is most certainly not going smoothly is the border situation in Hungary, which is best described with a chain of swear words from three or four language families: the Republic of Hungary is an independent state with Polish and Hapsburg influence, but also part of the Duchy of Hungary in the Holy Roman Empire despite only Upper Hungary being part of the Holy Roman Empire; meanwhile part of southwest Hungary is claimed and controlled by Serbian separatists and is officially an autonomous part of both Hungary and the Terzi Dynasty, despite Hungary and the Terzi Dynasty being separate states.

Back in the west, there are many reasons why relations between the Dutch Republic and the British Republic have quickly declined, and one of them is the Presidency of the British Low Countries: the fact that the President is elected democratically, doesn’t make the Dutch any happier about having no say in being ruled by Chancellor Alexander Nelson II. The brutal conditions in the factories built by the British, and the increased flooding brought on by industrialization and urbanization, have not helped matters. The Dutch Republic wants the rest of its land back, and it wants its people to have their rights back, and one way or another a war is coming.

France is also getting ready for war. The monarchy has allied with the fascists and is building up the military. They have lots of conflicts that can be used to justify a war once they’re ready, including wanting revenge for the War of the Turkish Succession and regaining control of Iberia, the Low Countries, Corsica, and Sardinia. The question they find themselves faced with now is who should they go to war with first: they can’t fight Portugal, Britain, and the Holy Roman Empire all at once, but maybe they can make an alliance with the HRE and fight the Luso-British Alliance - or the other way around.

Meanwhile, the Polish-Lithuanian Federation has more problems than relations with the Holy Roman Empire being back to their normal state: Russia and Sweden have officially signed an alliance, and the demilitarized zone in Russia is no more. Because of this the Federalist Party, which had shot itself in the foot two decades earlier by overreaching and abusing its power, is winning elections again by calling for improving the military even more and building up the territories bordering Russia.

The only reason I'm not making a full timeline out of this is that I haven't thought it out enough yet and it's really just the late 19th and early 20th century that I have ideas for, which is a couple of centuries after the POD. I'm thinking I'll do the Middle East and Libya (which still means North Africa at this point ATL) next.

Thoughts?

1932 (1).png

Here's a little quote to give some more context to some of my ideas...

"When I visited America immediately after the Great War, I developed an epiphany. That being one of the US being everything the British Empire could, and indeed should, be. A terrain of different cultures, races, and topographies. Each would have its own autonomous governments, but all would ultimately answer to the Queen. Further being linked together with shared values of Common Law, social contracts, and basic human rights. As such, it is time we applied these tropes that we have claimed to carry to the entire Empire, and allow the other colonies to have the same privileges as Canada, Australia, and New Zealand."

- Winston Churchill makes his case for converting at least India and Greater South Africa into semi-independent Commonwealths in the vein of Canada and Australia. June 3, 1934.

Thanks to the critiques of @BrobDingnag, I chose to make an alternate version of my planned USA TL. This time, the key PODs are an earlier Spanish-American war before Mexico become independent, the US getting Cuba in the Spanish-American War's aftermath, and Teddy Roosevelt getting elected in 1912.

As such, this map has some major differences from my first draft.

- The US does purchase Alaska from Russia after all.
- As mentioned, the UK eventually
- The UK eventually mergers Ireland into itself. Though it does take some changes to the way the UK treats the Catholic Irish.
- The Cape Colony, Nyasaland, the former Boer Republics, Benuchaland, and the Rhodesias are all merged into a greater South Africa in the early 1900s. Unfortunately, this does lead to a larger-scale Apartheid later on.
- Versailles ITTL still sees Germany give off the Camaroon (to France), and the western half of German East Africa (to the UK, who uses it in creating what would become the Railway of British Africa). But they still keep Togoland and Southwest Africa.
- Britain backs out of the Sykes-Picot Agreement, and instead helps to form an independent Husseinistan out of the Ottoman Empire's former Arab territories. However, Wahhabistan does exist, but thankfully on a smaller scale. However, the UK does not trust Husseinistan with an agreement to give the Jews equal treatment, and therefore forms a Palestinian state for the Jews.
- Kurdistan is formed from what IOTL is Northern Iraq, Western Turkey, and a large chunk of Syria. The bad news is that ethnic cleansing starts pretty quickly, but the good news is that the UK is able to stop it by threatening to take it over.
- China begins getting back on its feet when Teddy Roosevelt insists German holdings return to China instead of going to Japan. In addition, US and British officials help with the revitalization of China.
- Many of the same revolutions in Europe I planned still happen here. Namely granting independence to Poland, Belarus, and the Ukraine.

View attachment 486882
Here's a little quote to give some more context to some of my ideas...

"When I visited America immediately after the Great War, I developed an epiphany. That being one of the US being everything the British Empire could, and indeed should, be. A terrain of different cultures, races, and topographies. Each would have its own autonomous governments, but all would ultimately answer to the Queen. Further being linked together with shared values of Common Law, social contracts, and basic human rights. As such, it is time we applied these tropes that we have claimed to carry to the entire Empire, and allow the other colonies to have the same privileges as Canada, Australia, and New Zealand."

- Winston Churchill makes his case for converting at least India and Greater South Africa into semi-independent Commonwealths in the vein of Canada and Australia. June 3, 1934.

Thanks to the critiques of @BrobDingnag, I chose to make an alternate version of my planned USA TL. This time, the key PODs are an earlier Spanish-American war before Mexico become independent, the US getting Cuba in the Spanish-American War's aftermath, and Teddy Roosevelt getting elected in 1912.

As such, this map has some major differences from my first draft.

- The US does purchase Alaska from Russia after all.
- As mentioned, the UK eventually
- The UK eventually mergers Ireland into itself. Though it does take some changes to the way the UK treats the Catholic Irish.
- The Cape Colony, Nyasaland, the former Boer Republics, Benuchaland, and the Rhodesias are all merged into a greater South Africa in the early 1900s. Unfortunately, this does lead to a larger-scale Apartheid later on.
- Versailles ITTL still sees Germany give off the Camaroon (to France), and the western half of German East Africa (to the UK, who uses it in creating what would become the Railway of British Africa). But they still keep Togoland and Southwest Africa.
- Britain backs out of the Sykes-Picot Agreement, and instead helps to form an independent Husseinistan out of the Ottoman Empire's former Arab territories. However, Wahhabistan does exist, but thankfully on a smaller scale. However, the UK does not trust Husseinistan with an agreement to give the Jews equal treatment, and therefore forms a Palestinian state for the Jews.
- Kurdistan is formed from what IOTL is Northern Iraq, Western Turkey, and a large chunk of Syria. The bad news is that ethnic cleansing starts pretty quickly, but the good news is that the UK is able to stop it by threatening to take it over.
- China begins getting back on its feet when Teddy Roosevelt insists German holdings return to China instead of going to Japan. In addition, US and British officials help with the revitalization of China.
- Many of the same revolutions in Europe I planned still happen here. Namely granting independence to Poland, Belarus, and the Ukraine.
So... The US beating Spain in the 1810s when it could barely get a draw with Britain and taking Cuba ? No way in heck.
The UK merging with Ireland was done in the 1800s IOTL (act of Union between the Kingdom of Great Britain and Kingdom of Ireland) Guess what, it didn't work.
Britain backing off the Sykes-Picot agreement doesn't mean France won't at the very least seize Lebanon.

So... The US beating Spain in the 1810s when it could barely get a draw with Britain and taking Cuba ? No way in heck.
Indeed. So I might move Cuba to the 1890s.
The UK merging with Ireland was done in the 1800s IOTL (act of Union between the Kingdom of Great Britain and Kingdom of Ireland) Guess what, it didn't work.
There's one key difference ITTL. The Catholics in Ireland manage to gain equality.
Britain backing off the Sykes-Picot agreement doesn't mean France won't at the very least seize Lebanon.
Considering that the UK was not in as bad of a shape as France after the War, I'm not too sure that would be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.