Map of the Fortnight: Main Discussion Thread

Congratulations to @Valdore Javorsky for winning MotF 202 with "De Erda dausnd Jaar efter dit Olkrik"! Well done to all the participants - there were a lot of strong entries that round!

Also, new threads are up:
MotF 203: Under One Banner - Voting Thread
MotF 204: Take Me Out/I Miss You - Entries Thread

I think a lot of people get started with Paint or something similar; GIMP and Inkscape are also popular, but more complex.
Thanks a lot!

However, I've got a small question regarding MotF 204: There seems to be a bit of conflict within the rules of the Contest: the Challenge part tells you to describe a failed/succeded OTL assassination event, but the rules state it's okay to do Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Future maps? I mean, I'm sure some here would enjoy posting a hypothetical Trump or Rootin'Tootin' Putin or (insert controversial or just random politician/person here) assassination, but that would spiral down toxic politics real quick... Or we're supposed to make a timeline inside a timeline where the opposite of our described post happens, which would be a very interesting challenge, actually. ;)

Thanks a lot!

However, I've got a small question regarding MotF 204: There seems to be a bit of conflict within the rules of the Contest: the Challenge part tells you to describe a failed/succeded OTL assassination event, but the rules state it's okay to do Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Future maps? I mean, I'm sure some here would enjoy posting a hypothetical Trump or Rootin'Tootin' Putin or (insert controversial or just random politician/person here) assassination, but that would spiral down toxic politics real quick... Or we're supposed to make a timeline inside a timeline where the opposite of our described post happens, which would be a very interesting challenge, actually. ;)

There are can be fantasy or sci-fi elements that are incorporated, or the map can extend past 2019. So for example, "Kennedy survives and this causes the Greys to decide to make first contact" would be valid. The visible POD has to be a recorded assassination or attempt (no making one up from whole cloth), which would limit the options for contemporary figures. Does that clear things up?

Tell Me, Do You Bleed?

Make a map of a nation that has managed to overcome against a much more powerful nation against all odds

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Make a map of a nation that has been sent straight to hell with an outrageously insane government

A Lannister Always Pays His Debts

Make a map of a nation that has gotten payback against a nation(s) for wrongdoing

OTOH I always feel bad not getting things out in the timeframe but I'm a bit glad cause I really didn't wanna rush this one...

I’d like to participate in this, but I’m not very good at making maps. What drawing software do you all usually use for this?

Well, really any drawing software is good if you know how to work the program. MS Paint is probably the simplest and most folks computers already have it.

GIMP and Paint.net are also good programs, though I tend to use Inkscape exclusively all are free to use.

Ay, real quick. My submission is almost done but I have to go to bed soon -- school tomorrow. I promise it will be done by tomorrow -- I'll shoot for before 7PM (EST). If I can have the deadline extended 'til then (if that's an extension), I'd be really grateful.

Ay, real quick. My submission is almost done but I have to go to bed soon -- school tomorrow. I promise it will be done by tomorrow -- I'll shoot for before 7PM (EST). If I can have the deadline extended 'til then (if that's an extension), I'd be really grateful.

Since we are still light on entries for this round, I will go ahead and wait until this evening to post the voting thread for you or anyone else to squeak in an entry for MotF 204. In the meantime, I have posted the entry thread for the next round:

MotF 205: You Pan Handle It - Entries Thread

A panhandle contest

What have you done????!!!!

Do you really want to unleash the worst colonial and post colonial administrative divisions and borders?

Also can panhandle “link” two regions, instead of being at one end of a county? Like say, if you merged Namibia with Zimbabwe, then the former Namibian panhandle/caprivi strip would still exist, but it would be used as a thin “bridge” to link two thicker regions, but it wouldn’t be at an end of the country.

Last edited:
A panhandle contest

Do you really want to unleash the worst colonial and post colonial administrative divisions and borders?

Also can panhandle “link” two regions, instead of being at one end of a county? Like say, if you merged Namibia with Zimbabwe, then the former Namibian panhandle/caprivi strip would still exist, but it would be used as a thin “bridge” to link two thicker regions, but it wouldn’t be at an end of the country.
The terrible, terrible image of Namibia-Zimbabwe as one country, connected by only a five-mile-thick strip of land, has been forever seared into my mind. I hope you’re happy with yourself.

A panhandle contest

Bring it on. :) I think your proposed "bridge" would fit the spirit of the contest.