The Yankee Dominion: A Map and World Building Project

An independent Greenland does not make sense. A significant amount of the country's GDP comes directly from the Danish state. It simply wouldn't be self-sufficient as an independent nation. The country has enough problems with high rates of depression, social isolation and suicide as is and if the country is poorer and more isolated those problems would probably be even worse. While the high rates of mining deposits just being discovered may lead to independence in the future, I can't see an ATL where it would already be independent in 2019.

yeah but you're talking all the otl problems. besides, in 2016 64% of greenlanders want independence.
I tend to side with Electric Sheep on this one. Greenland's inability to self provide is not going to change unless you want wheat farms in growing in ice. I want to say that Greenland will not be independent, Denmark will do what is globally popular ITTL and OTL and make it part of their country with Autonomy.

ST15RM

Banned
The only reason I put Greenland under Iceland is because if you release Iceland in Vic2 Greenland goes with it and i thought itd be a nice nod to the game. But yeah I don't think Denmark or Iceland would have any will to keep Greenland.
I tend to side with Electric Sheep on this one. Greenland's inability to self provide is not going to change unless you want wheat farms in growing in ice. I want to say that Greenland will not be independent, Denmark will do what is globally popular ITTL and OTL and make it part of their country with Autonomy.
dude you basically contradicted yourself.

W4VdgXr.png

Still got the Caribbean to go

I'll try and get a news summary up this week. Obviously the Bahamas will be one, but I'm looking for ideas beyond the Hurricane. Maybe something Hong Kong related?

I kind of want an independent Greenland just cause we can have a smaller nation state similar to Iceland in a way (and it's more fascinating that it being a random colony).

I kind of want an independent Greenland just cause we can have a smaller nation state similar to Iceland in a way (and it's more fascinating that it being a random colony).
See, I kinda disagree. I don't see how it meshes well with the broader circumstances of the ATL and Iceland to my understanding is independent?

But ultimately, without a significant change in its history, Greenland simply couldn't function as an independent nation. It makes no sense.

ST15RM

Banned
Hong Kong borders South China rather than the ROC. Maybe a Tsingtao protest development would be better
i thought we had hong kong as part of south china anyways.
greenland has less than 60,000 people and no accessible resources. it can't happen.

i thought we had hong kong as part of south china anyways.

greenland has less than 60,000 people and no accessible resources. it can't happen.

OTL it has 60k. We're not dealing with OTL problems though. Could always have a heavily inhabited southern coastline and up to around nuuk (i mean the nation shouldn't have more than 150-200k anyway).