Kentucky Fried Politics: A Colonel Sanders Timeline

This has been a really great timeline and one I'll be voting for the Turtledoves. When this first started, I thought it was going to be a really lame and cheesy celebrity wank that I couldn't taking seriously. However after going through the entire thing, I really love the world that you have built here gap and I wish that Sanders had been a President in our timeline. It's so fascinating how a fast food icon can radically change the country and world for the better, and he'll easily be remembered as one of the modern greats. I also like the social and pop culture aspects and how KFC has risen to greater heights under the Colonel's presidency. I really hope this continues to modern day and after the Colonel's death because it really deserves a complete story.

On recent developments, I hope that Scranton wins to show a support for the continuation of the Colonel's legacy. The GOP really deserves it with how Sanders has kept the economy booming, kept Indochina free of Communism, transitioned Cuba to a democracy, stabilized Latin America, kept peace with China, and has ensured a steady compassionate conservative government that has expanded the Republican's voter base. The only problem is that so far Scranton has been bland, and may be unappealing in comparison to the lively Colonel. I also think it was stupid for Scranton to chose an Alaskan Governor as his running mate as Stepovich doesn't have the national influence, ideological balance, regional strength, or electoral weight to gain an advantage. Then again, Scranton is going against a pissed off and divided Democratic party who hates each other and splintered Hippies, so he should get a win barring any screwups. I do have to wonder why Scoop didn't have more influence considering Sander's victories and public awareness of Pol Pot validates his hawkishness.

In the future I hope that the story does focus on other fast food chains, more specifically the rise of Chick Fil-A and Whataburger. As a Texan I especially desire to see Whataburger soar to new heights in a more competitive market and have a large national scene beyond the South.

Also are you aware of the SCP mythos? Because there's an hilarious SCP article on the Colonel that I think would make for a funny supernatural event in-universe. SCP-3250

Thank you very much for the praise; I'm happy to hear you're enjoying the TL! I consider it an honor, as I enjoy the content you post on this site!

Oh yes, the selection of Stepovich will be studied as the campaign continues on to see how he contributes to the race.

IOTL, Scoop Jackson's 1972 campaign failed to gain momentum due to a lack of name recognition. Here's, it's that and early jabs made against him by fellow candidate Patsy Mink, shining light on negative aspects, such as his support of the internment camps for Japanese-Americans during WWII, damaging his campaign. Maybe I should expand on that a bit in the next chapter...

Whataburger could definitely rise to national prominence, so we'll definitely see how things unfold!

I've never heard of SCP before - that thing's fun and funny! I could see someone making it into a satirical movie concerning people who like KFC so much they treat it like it is a religion! It could be ITTL's version of those times in OTL whenever someone swears they see Elvis somewhere! Laugh Out Loud!

These attacks on the good (future god king) Mario Biaggi are unsubstantiated!

Don't worry, we haven't seen the last of Biaggi!

Pity that Casey and Hubert lost, still very interesting. Scranton will most likely win he has both the Snaders legacy of succsess on his side and Mondale shooting himself in the foot with Mike Gravel. Maybe that will lead to the Christian Democratic faction taking the nomination in 76.

We'll see!

This was one intense primary battle.

Two Alaskan running mates: this is going to be a ferocious election indeed.

Indeed and indeed!

Two 2 Alaska running mates? Scranton had a chance to steal a march in a way with Gravel there, but he didn't get someone from a big state so he didn't get any advantage as far as the state. However, there *could* be some hyelp if they play up the "son of immigrants" thing with his running mate.

I agree with the others that Scranton seems a bit bland, but with him instead of the more negative Goldwater, the GOP has a chance; I thought it'd be close before and I still think the winner might have trouble getting over 300 electoral votes and a lot of trouble getting over 350.

I thought Scoop Jackson might do better because the wars were successful that athe US had been fighting,but it's also possible that he seemed to hawkish at a time when America was tired of war; perhaps aperiod similar to post-WW1, in some ways, though obviously with America still heavily involved internationally.

Scrantonis 55, MOndale only 44. Did he look really youthful like Jack Kennedy when younger? I don't know if that'll play into helping him or not, but it's worth a mention in the comment here.

Cool to see your mom get a cameo!

I got one of those digital watches for about $10 in the late '70s, too.

Are we getting Frozen as a movie almost 40 years early? Some of those other Disney movies... wow. On checking Wikipedia, it shows why I remember DIsney being better when I was little - a lot of the movies I remember, like Lady and the Tramp and 101 Dalmatians, were re-releases. The former in '72 would have definitely been an official re=release I saw at the theater, being 3 then, but I don't know why I recall seeing the latter, unless some theaters, even if not officially re-released, would keep a movie like that to show as a matinee in the early '70s. Becasue I know I'd have likely wanted to see any movie with dogs in it. :)

Thanks!

I think he was decent-enough looking at that age; I'll include more pictures of him in the next chapter, (which will in all likelihood be posted on the 12th)!

You had one of those watches back then? Cool!

Yes, but it won't be the same "Frozen" we have in OTL.

By the way, is there anything baseball-related connect to the TL happening in 1972 that I should cover in the next chapter? Thank you very much for your informative feedback! It is greatly appreciated!

1) That cameo by your mom was unique...

2) Good update; like that the Rapid City flood was less worse than OTL...

3) Wonder what Sanders' legacy will be like (and what will Bernie Sanders do in the future ITTL)...

1) Thanks!

2) Thank you!

3) Well the Colonel was never one to just sit around, he liked to work, so he'd definitely keep busy. Bernie, meanwhile, founded Tumbleweed Magazine back in the 1960s, a liberal publication aimed at students in high school and college.

1) Great update. 2) Hang on, a version of your mom's in there? Where? 3) I'd go for Scranton, bland, but better then Goldwater. 4) Cool take on Frozen years earlier. Wonder who the voice cast for it will be.

1) Thanks!

2) She's mentioned (not by name) near the chapter's start, in the report on how NJ residents are using their [TTL's UBI] checks. I figured, if I'm writing a TL, I might as well add a bit about how the butterflies affect my family history. Based on my OTL family history (her parents immigrated to the US in the late 1940s/early 1950s and she was born in 1956), I do not believe that this TL's POD would build up enough ripples/waves/butterflies to butterfly away my mom's birth. But the different/changed economic landscape would definitely affect/change parts of my mother's upbringing. Similarly, Greece being more stable here could convince my dad to stay in Greece, finish high school, and maybe even go to a trade school for a while (my Dad joined the Greek merchant marines in 1970 at age 17 and immigrated to the US in 1971. Maybe that happens later?), but how that will end up playing out in this TL is still up in the air

3) We'll see how things play out!

4) Thanks! Judging by how long it would usually Disney to make movies at this point in time, the film won't be out for a while (1974 at the earliest, 1975 or 1976 perhaps?), but voices were typically recorded early to give animators something to work off in terms of matching characters/movement to the audio. I'm looking at the casts of animated films at the time and I too am wondering who would voice the sympathetic villain and innocent heroine characters...

Great chapter @gap80!

With Alaskans so prominent in this campaign does that lead to more interest in the Northern State?

Thanks; and yes, it is very likely!

Last edited:
By the way, is there anything baseball-related connect to the TL happening in 1972 that I should cover in the next chapter? Thank you very much for your informative feedback! It is greatly appreciated!

Vida Blue may well have played all year without a signed contract. I'd expect Oakalnd (if that where's the Athletics are) to still win the World Series, their first since 1930 back in Philadelphia (and first pennant since 1931), but questions will swirl if Blue becomes a free agent. OTOH, Steinbrenner didn't yet have the Yankees, he bought them in early 1973, so who he goes to will be a good question.

TTL the A's might be known as the Berded Bunch. OTL Charlie Finley told all his players to grow mustaches for publicity and also becasue that was such a stand against the system. TTL, however, President Sanders has a mustache and even a small beard. (Would that be considered a goatee?) Facial hair is therefore not a onerous as it was OTL. OTOH, some of the more conservative franchises will still forbid faciaal hair, I'm sure.

197 in Decemberis whenRoberto Clemente died in a plane crash - he could survive here.

I presume that the Braves still moved to Atlanta? Hank Aaron might get a couple extra home runs and set the record on one of the last days of 1973 - hopefully against the Dodgers still, as Vin Scully's call is a thing of beauty

The more I thinkabout it, it's possible the financial straigts of the Pilts inSeattle are known early and Louisville is an Ameircan League team. Knsas City was going to get an expansion team becasue of the A's move, so that means the White Sox could move to MIlwaukee and announce it in 1972 - Dick Allen nearly won the Triple Crown for them (and could TTL) but that might not even be enough.

Or, they could have moved in 1972, and Allen's Triple Crown comes for the new Milwaukee White Sox.

If they move, they are actually sold to Bud Selig.

I guess you *could* throw us a curveball, though - Finley almost moved his A's to Louisville in 1965 or so but league owners rejected it. You haven't told us who the Louisville team is. What if Finley is fought for a couple years and that Louisville Colonels franchse is really the Athletics - and it's Louisville with its garish green and gold winning the 1972 World Series?

Oh, boy, I can see it now - Finley would have promoted that name by inviting every colonel, both real and fictional, to the ballpark at one time or another. He could give away monocles like Colonel Klink with the team emblem, oh what a face3!

But, more likely, he stays. Expansion was set for 1971, but they moved it up 2 years because of Finley's antics. You have the Colonels forming for the 1970 season or maybe 1971, so it's just as likely there are expansion teams in Montreal and San Diego in the N.L and theAl.L. has Milwaukee andLouisville, with Finley forced to stay in Kansas City. Maybe he sells to Ewing Kauffman early and becomes the Colonels' owner anyway - the Athletics still win in 1972 but Finley's team comes close to a division title

Another thought - Ray Kroc could own the Padres but in the American League. Gene Autry wanted a 2nd west coast team in the A.L.. If the A.L. gets the Padres, because Finley stays in Kansas City (and the commissioner might have forced him and then brokered that agreement for him to sell and get an expansion club), then you have your pick of which other club goes into the A.L., the Brewers or Colonels. With the other joining the Expos in the N.L..

So, to summarize:

1. Athletics win first World Series since 1930, maybe in Kansas City.

2. Vida Blue doesn't have his contract tiff if they are in Kansas City becasue Finley probably sells the team and gets an expansion one.

3. Dick Allen might win the Triple Crown, leading the league in battling average, home runs, and RBIs.

4. Roberto Clemente could survive his plane crash TTL.

5. Hank Aaron will come closer and likely break Babe Ruth's home run record at the end of next year, especially if the Padres are in the A.L. - having to play in San Diego, a horrible park for hitters, 9 games a year for 5 years definitely took at least 2 home runs from Aaron between 1969-1973.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Alright then!...

1) Interesting. Apart from Steinbrenner (do you really think he'd end up somewheres else? ITTL, Donald Trump's playing for the Yankees (I mentioned it in the later 1968 chapter), maybe that changes something?), I'd say all this stays the same.
5) But would their financial situation be the same as IOTL if the economy is doing better at this point ITTL than it was in OTL?

6) I'm not an expert on professional baseball (not even close); I'm not even sure what you mean when you ask "who" is the Louisville Colonel's baseball team? But I suppose Finley could join them, sure! The Louisville Colonels' colors are red and white (and gold, too, if I'm remembering my own TL correctly).

7) Whoo, that'd be fun!

8) Could the Padres face off against the Colonels in the American League (and when?)? That means it's still Oakland v Cincinnati in the 1972 World Series (instead of the Colonels vs someone else)?

A lot of interesting ideas here!

1. Steinbrenner could buy the Cleveland Indians - he bid on them OTL but was in trouble for campaign donations to Nixon that likely don't come OTL.

5. According to this, the stadium was a dump and there were protests that prevented the building of it where the voters originally approved it. The team might end up moving to Milwaukee anyway; a California bank caalled in a $4 million loan they took out to get the team in the first place. However, this brings up my answer to #6.

6.By who the Colonels are, I mean were they an expansion club and if so in which league? Or a team that moved.

Expansion only came in 1969 because of Finley's move. Otherwise it wouldn't have happened till 1971. Since you have a new commissioner (who could well block his move, unlike OTL, Finley had driven American League owners crazy threatening to move everyplace under the sun almost since the day he bought the club) they could be awarded an expansion team when you say, in the summer of 1969, and then prepare for the 71 expansion which was planned. This lets Finley be the maverick owner of the Colonels and have those wild promotions. The Athletics are thus in Kansas City, and win the World Series (Blue wasn't a big factor in 1972, due to the contract and also arm fatigue), the Padres are an American League team, and so are the Colonels, who are a substitute for the Pilots of OTL.

This means the Colonels and Padres are both American League clubs, and face each other in 12 or 18 games a year, spending on whether the Colonels are in the East or West.

Option B: The Expos almost didn't form in 1969. Butterflies preventing the N.L. President from going to a game at a 3,000 seat facility and being impressed by it, could have caused the deal to fall through, as could not being able to meet with Charles Bronfman after every other member of the group that had put money in on the team dropped out.

NOw, I don't think the Colonels would be a National League club - they would only be about 100 miles from Cincinnati, and thus more likely to be an A.L. city. Mikwaudde and Chicago are about the same distance, though, and if it's an emergency situation then American League history can play out like it did OTL, and the Colonels placed there on an interim basis before everyone realizes, "Hey, the Reds and Colonels are *both* drawing really well, this isn't a problem like we thought." Thus shelving plans to try and move the Colonels somewhere else long term.

The Expos could have even formed in 1969 but then the blurb about the Colonels could mean that they are the ones who failed to make it after a year, too. In this case, the Braves would move to the East and the Colonels would become rivals to the Reds in the West. AAnd, the Colonels and Padres have 18 games against each other in the National League.

Which is more likely? Finley original asked the A.L. to let him move his club to Louisville OTL - he even had a 2-year stadium lease. (WHich of course meant he could move if he wasn't happy.) A more effective Commissioner, like you have TTL, might well say, "Look, FInley is a creep, let's give him an expansion club and make hi sink some investment into it (though he ran everything on a shoestring)." Ewing Kauffman got the expansion club OTL, he could buy the Athletics and then Finley be given the expansion club. No club in Oakland for now, but they could get one later with the new Coliseum, and in fact the Giants might move there instead! (Yes, Candlestick was an awful place to play, its placement at Candlestick Point meant it was 10-15 degrees chillier than the rest of the area and very windy)

And, Finley could even trade for Blue. If his club is playing starting in 1970 (a compromise between the 1969 of OTL and the planned 1971), Blue is just a young minor leaguer who had a few games in 1969.Yes, Finley might have to give up a fair number of players, but as noted, the Athetics can still win the Series in 1972 in Kansas City, while Blue - a CY Young winner and MVP in 1971 who got his club to 2nd place almost singlehandedly - plays without a contract and then blots Louisville as a free agent.

The White Sox are probably going to move to Milwaukee, maybe for the 1973 season, maybe they already did in 1972. Or, Bud Selig might just join forces with Seattle and push for expansion by the mid-'70s. Because a delay of a year means those protests in 1969 keep a domed stadium from being started ont he site which had been promised, which dooms the Seattle bid, but Seattle would still want a major league club.

I hope this helps, and that it hasn't made it more confusing for you. This was really an interesting time in the major leagues.

I'd go with option A, and keep the team in the city long-term. I think there would be enough local businesspeople to buy the club when Charlie Finley sold it.

If you keep the idea of the Louisville Metropolitan Statistical Area growing to 2 million in the coming years, it could easily support a Major League Baseball team as well as an NBA team. Which leads me to the basketball Colonels.

IOTL, the Colonels didn't make it into the merger because the Chicago Bulls coveted one of the Colonels' star players -- Artis Gilmore -- and would have nixed the ABA/NBA merger unless the Colonels agreed not to go along. The owner, John Y. Brown -- later governor of Kentucky -- sold out, brought the Buffalo Braves of the NBA, then sold off that team's best assets until swapping ownership of the Braves for Irv Levin's ownership of the Celtics. Brown then sold his majority share in the Celtics after making a series of bad deals, basketball-wise.

So when the baseball Colonels get sold, you do NOT want John Y. Brown involved.

Chapter 37: September 1972 – January 1973
Chapter 37: September 1972 – January 1973

“Get busy living or get busy dying”

– Stephen King (OTL)

Two weeks before the start of 1972 R.N.C., [then-boyfriend] George [Stanley Clinton] and I struck a deal: he would be more supportive of my political interests in exchange for me learning to play at least one musical instrument. I chose the violin, as that is a great counterpart to George’s piano.

When we went to that year’s convention, George was not impressed by the affair. On the trip back home he complained “I get that it’s all important, but does it have to be so boring? So sterile?”

“What do you mean? Goldwater and Mary Scranton were very passionate speakers,” I said in my defense.

“Apart from them and the Colonel, all these politicians just seem to phone it in,” he somewhat grumbled.

I replied, “Well, change starts somewhere, so why not with us?”

“You mean with you, honeybun.”

After a moment of hesitation, I decided to finally break the news to him. “Funny you should say that – I’ve signed on to Scranton’s campaign. I’ll be coordinating with teams of canvassers who will be registering voters across Tennessee and North Carolina.”

Clinton looked at me before asking, “We’ll still see each other every day, right?”

“Of course!”

“Then you can run around bothering people all day long if you want to, honey.”

“Thanks for understanding, George.”

“Ol’ Bill Scranton’s lucky to have a gal like you in his corner.”

“Hmm, Bill,” I thought, “I really like that name.” Years later, I would honor our son with that name.

– Hillary Rodham-Clinton (R-TN), in her autobiography The Decisions I Have Made, 2016

The two Democrats serving as Alaska’s US Senators at the time were very inspirational to me. Ernest Gruening had led the state throughout World War Two, and was a fierce opponent of America’s military actions in Cuba during the LBJ years. Gravel was more inspirational to me, and not just because of the anti-war rhetoric. Here was a man who just took off to America’s own little great white north without any connections to the state and without that much money, and just 15 or so years later, at age 42, was the Democratic nominee for Vice President. It convinced me that Alaska was a land of possibilities.

That spring, I had campaigned for Mondale in the Midwest. In the summer, I requested being assigned to work on the Mondale/Gravel ticket’s Alaska division. I figured that if a guy like him can make it big by going up there, maybe there’s something waiting for me up there too.

I worked closely with Gravel and his inner circle to try to win the state away from Stepovich. Early polls showed the Republicans had a ten-point lead. I liked a challenge. In those eight weeks I rubbed elbows with Alaskans of all kinds – from Mayors and state Senators to housewives, drillers, fisherman, and Native Inuit hunters – in all corners of the state. I was exposed to the majesty of the land and the political opinions of the people, many of which I agreed with…

– Bill Clinton’s Putting People First, University of Alaska Press, 1986

jcEAzAa.png

[pic: imgur.com/jcEAzAa ]
– Scranton for President advertisement, c. September 1972

MONDALE AND SCRANTON AGREE TO TWO DEBATES

…for both debates, candidates will discuss foreign policy in the first half-hour and domestic policy in the second half-hour, with an additional ten minutes of time allotted to any other concerns. The nominee of the Heritage and Independence Party, Governor Sam Engelhardt, has not been invited to attend…

– The Washington Post, 9/3/1972

…we are getting reports of some kind of shooting occurring at the Munich Olympics… it appears that armed men attempted to scale a chain-link fence on the border of the Olympic Village. The men in question had with them duffel bags from which they produced pistols, and then assault rifles, upon security spotting them. We’ll have more information for you as further details come to light… For those just tuning in, it seems that would-be terrorists tonight attempted to sneak into the Olympic Games in Munich, but were spotted by security officers. When they were discovered, one of the trespassers shot the officer, drawing the attention of other personnel. A gunfight ensued in which the terrorists attempted to use their weapons to march into the Olympic village, but were repelled by security. While our correspondents in Munich believe but cannot confirm that the trespassers had more firepower than security, they can confirm that many of the security personnel who arrived on the scene were shot, but no deaths have been announced. All of the trespassers, meanwhile, were shot by security after officers fired upon the trespassers from the roof of a nearby building. Of the unconfirmed number of five trespassers, only one received non-fatal injuries, and the yet-to-be-identified man is currently in police custody… Our correspondents in Munich tell us that security personnel at the Olympics, publicly known for being relaxed to present a “carefree” atmosphere, report that security measures were heightened last week after Prime Minister Enoch Powell and several secretaries of his premiership quietly threatened to boycott the games if their safety was not assured…

– BBC News, 9/5/1972

THE MUNICH SUMMER OLYMPICS CONCLUDE TODAY: “The Cheerful Games” Lived Up To Nickname, Despite Shooting Incident

The Guardian, 9/11/1972

Australia’s last major “Arkie-wave” scandal of 1972 concerned the misconduct of Rolf Harris, a 42-year-old singer-songwriter. Accused of sexual pestering, Harris went from being called an entertainer to being called a “pest,” a word quickly taking on a whole new meaning in a “post-Ark” world. In mid-September, sufficient evidence was brought against Harris concerning charges of alleged assault against females aged seven-to-eight in 1968-to-1969 [1]. Harris vehemently denied the charges, but the evidence was clear. In 1973, Harris was sentenced to 20 years in prison, which he served from 1974 to 1994. In 1997, though, Harris was arrested for violating parole and for sexual pestering 13-year-old schoolgirl. He was sentenced to 15 years in prison in 1998, and was released early in 2012. Since then, Harris, now approaching the age of 88, has maintained a low profile, and currently resides near his hometown of Bassendean, a suburb of Perth, Western Australia.

Political activists observing the 1972 fall from grace demanded the passing of the Protection of Women and Children bill being worked on in Canberra at the time, and pushed the issue of “women’s rights” to the forefront of Australia politics just days ahead of that year’s Liberal coalition leadership election…

– Donald S. Passman’s Sing-and-Dance Backwash: The Struggle for Transparency In The Entertainment Industry, 1945-Onward, Borders Books, Second Edition, 2018

Prime Minister Harold Holt, after six years in office, had lost party confidence, and on September 1 announced he would resign over the internal unpopularity. John McEwen, officially of the “Country” political party, expanded his base of support (grazers, farmers, rural residents) via garnering the support of women’s rights organizations by being the first national politician to publicly condemn Harris “and all who actively seek to pester women,” siphoning support from more liberal candidates without alienating his base of supporters. McEwen subsequently won the Liberal coalition leadership election over Holt favorite Malcolm Fraser and several others, making McEwen the 18th Prime Minister of Australia on September 24, 1972.

– Rodney Smith and Ariadne Vromen’s Politics in Australia: An Overview of Histories, Theories, Practices and Issues, Cambridge University Press, 2012

d7TuyUY.png

[ pic: imgur.com/d7TuyUY ]
– still from a campaign film on the Mondale family, first aired 9/20/1972

WHATABURGER! TEXAS FRANCHISE COMES TO CALIFORNIA

Harmon Archibald Dobson stepped off his private airplane beaming with pride. 22 years prior, Dobson founded Whataburger as a “wooden box” stand in Corpus Christi, Texas; now, after expanding in several more states over the years, the franchise was celebrating the grand opening of its 100th location, and its first one in the Golden State [2]. Dobson stood in front of the distinct A-frame building and its Flying W logo, meant to be reminiscent of a plane’s wings, and faced the crowd of attendees to cut the ribbon officiating the restaurant’s opening. While “other burgers on the market are meant for quick convenience,” Dobson says, “I wanted to make a burger that took two hands to hold and tasted so good that when you took a bite you would say ‘What a burger!’[3]. Even so, the Whataburger will certainly face competition from local franchises, not to mention nationwide giants such as McDonald’s, Burger Chef, KFC’s Wendyburgers, and the newest fast-food major player, Ollie’s Trolleys.

– The Sacramento Union, 9/23/1972

Mondale: “the Santa Barbara oil spill is just one of many examples that demonstrate why businesses need to be regulated to ensure they protect workers and the environment from harm.”

[snip]

Scranton: “young and old Americans have much to thank Colonel Sanders for. Medicare and Medicaid costs dropped under this administration. Housing costs are down, and several studies have proven that the Colonel’s promotion of vocational programs has increased college enrollment and allowed college tuition rates to drop. I think we should keep the good times rolling. …Lincoln would be proud to know his party still contains the energy and moral compass it possessed over one hundred years ago. …Colonel Sanders achieved bipartisan support in order to maintain the safety, sanity and security of this nation, and I will continue this on during my time as President.”

[snip]

Scranton: “My opponent would raise taxes.”

Moderator: “Senator, your rebuttal?”

Mondale: “Yes, I would raise taxes, but I would raise taxes on the rich, not on the lower classes.”

– Snippets from the transcript of the first Presidential debate between Mondale and Scranton, Tuesday 9/26/1972

Mondale shined when asked economic questions, but did poorly on foreign policy in the first of two debates. Scranton, for his part, again played up his activities in the Governor’s office and his actions as Vice President, but executed his talking points in a manner many pundits called “dry” and “uninspiring.” Most observers considered the debate to be a stalemate, with Scranton having a slight edge over Mondale.

– Michael Stewart Foley’s Front Porch Politics: American Activism in the 1970s and 1980s, 2013 net-book edition

Scranton: 45%
Mondale: 40%
Other: 5%
Undecided: 10%
– Gallup poll, 10/1/1972

Despite the 10-months-long freeze on prices and wages in that was implemented in late 1968, inflation is still on the rise. The economy has suffered no major downturns since 1963, making for a record period of growth at eight years and ten months, but the threat of rising prices and drop in value could end this expansion.

– report, The Wall Street Journal, 10/1/1972

Labor leaders such as Walter Reuther and George Meany stumped for Mondale after the White House began floating the idea of announcing a second price freeze in order to keep the economy afloat and stabilized.

– Meg Jacobs’ Pressure at the Polls: The Transformation of American Politics in the 1970s, 2016 net-book edition

HOST: So why do you think your campaign tanked when it had the potential to go all the way?

JACKSON: I should have won and I could have won, but I lacked the name recognition of the bigger candidates more familiar to voters thanks to their 1968 runs. I think my brand of international involvement would have resonated really well with primary voters if that had been the sole thing discussed about me.

HOST: You’re alluding to Patsy Mink, correct? Do you think she was the main factor in your campaign failing?

JACKSON: Ah, I don’t think so. It had more to due with a lack of name recognition in my opinion.

HOST: Well, you’ve recently publicly endorsed Mondale despite his anti-intervention running mate. Did you back Mondale out of party loyalty?

JACKSON: No, I’m backing him because Mondale is the better man for the job out of the men we have to choose from. I don’t think Gravel can really do any damage to anything as the Vice President.

– Scoop Jackson interview, KAFE 104.1 FM radio broadcast, 10/2/1972

ADVISOR 1: “Mary, we want to cut down your time spent on the campaign trail.”

MARY: “The crowds don’t seem to mind.”

ADVISOR 2: “That’s the thing – they like you more than your husband. If anything, your energy is making voters more aware of how, well, boring your husband is.”

ADVISOR 1: “Opinion polls show it, he has a charm deficit that your charm is only amplifying.”

MARY: “Well wouldn’t people notice me suddenly being off the trail?”

ADVISOR 2: “We think you should take a few days off to recover from an illness.”

MARY: “How about instead, you gals show that when people vote for Bill, they’re not just voting in a new President – they’re voting in a new Frist Lady.”

ADVISOR 2: “...uh, I guess that might work.”

ADVISOR 1: “Hmm… alright, we’ll try it your way.”

MARY: “And I’ll try to get Bill to show more of his personality on the trail. I’ll work on it with him and his PR people.”

ADVISOR 1: “Deal.”

– Second Lady Mary Scranton and two campaign advisors, A/V security camera footage from a hotel lounge in Kansas City, MO, 10/3/1972 (footage discovered in 2011)

hHHDFgI.png

[pic: imgur.com/hHHDFgI ]
– Scranton at a campaign rally near Jefferson City, MO, 10/6/1972

HOST: The biggest question I have is this: Why Stepovich? He is not that well-known nationally and he comes from an electorally-small state.

SCRANTON: Well, yes, the state of Alaska does not have a lot of people but it does have a very diverse people from the state’s rich history. As Governor, Mike presided over a period of economic growth due to a responsible handling of Alaskan resources, which shows he has the leadership skills for the job. Alaska is also a western state, or I consider it a western state, at least, so with him the ticket represents both sides of the Mississippi. And most importantly for this race, is he is a representative of conservatives in the party of Lincoln.

HOST: But some conservatives such as Senator Goldwater have complained that Stepovich is not conservative enough to appeal to that base of voters.

SCRANTON: I disagree. And, well, I think Mike’s record as Governor speaks for itself.

– Scranton and host on Meet the Press, 10/8/1972

SANDERS DECLARES FREEZE ON WAGES AND PRICES FOR NEXT THREE MONTHS!

– The New York Times, 10/9/1972

Mondale: “Some of the biggest tasks for the next administration will be economical and geopolitical. America as a duty to protect allies and to maintain both immediate and long-term prosperity. ...America needs the E.R.A. …I believe we can finally lead the globe in education innovation by 1982.”

[snip]

Scranton: “Too many people fear finances – they vote for high taxes for high services so they have less responsibilities. I believe the American citizen can stand on his or her own two feet when given the opportunity.”

[snip]

Scranton: “We need criminal justice reform. We cannot have another massacre like the one that happened under Democratic Governor Biaggi.”

Mondale: “I agree, but I would take things a step further and promote transparency in government, so we know exactly what our government is doing for us, how our taxpayer money is being spent, and how laws truly affect things.”

– Snippets from the transcript of the second Presidential debate between Mondale and Scranton, Tuesday 10/12/1972

Mondale was seen as the winner of the debate. Scranton again gave a milquetoast performance, while Mondale presented himself as well-informed and energetic without appearing unprofessional. Additionally, in wake of his response to the administration’s 1972 price freeze initiative, Mondale gained a slight lead to most post-debate polls.

– Michael Stewart Foley’s Front Porch Politics: American Activism in the 1970s and 1980s, 2013 net-book edition

So now we have to pick between two puffy-eyed vampires. They look and sound like robots or clones; one’s an evil twin to business, the other’s an evil twin to unions. Because of their aesthetic boredom, I actually find the irrelevant running mates more interesting! A Polack chameleon, changing his policies to match whatever’s popular, versus a bleeding-heart Quebecois peacenik, both from the politically unimportant state of Alaska. But the voters were deprived of a debate between those two. Instead we got stuck watching tweedle-dope and tweedle-dumbass drone on and on for nearly an hour – twice! This may have been fascinating to watch for stuffy politicos, but for average Joes with lives of their own, this is just going to keep them even farther away from the potentially-fascinating world of political discussion.

– Hunter S. Thompson, Tumbleweed Magazine article, 10/12/1972

“Bill [Scranton]’s a good man, but I think he really could have done better in those debates. He’s got the right ideas, he’s just got to work on his showmanship to actually sell them.”

– President Sander to a reporter in a moment later considered to be a gaffe similar to one made by President Eisenhower made in 1960, 10/13/1972

A CONSERVATIVE CRUSADE: Goldwater Takes His Message To The People

…the passionate Senator is stumping for conservative candidates such as Senate nominees Hank Hibbard (R-MT) and Governor Harrison Thyng (R-NH), and the results are already evident in the latest polls…

National Review, 10/15/1972 issue

Mondale: 48%
Scranton: 45%
Other: 6%
Undecided: 7%
– Gallup poll, 10/1/1972

WORLD SERIES: OAKLAND AS BEAT CINCINNATI REDS, 5-2

Dick Allen Wins Triple Crown In Kansas City, Vida Blue Talks Pitching Record

The New York Post, 10/22/1972

…Meanwhile, the owner of the Louisville Colonels of the American League, and other managers, congratulated George Steinbrenner on finally purchasing the Cleveland Indians…

– John Helyar’s Lords of the Realm: The Real History of Baseball, Ballantine Books, 1994

heXPW1l.png

[pic: imgur.com/heXPW1l ]
– Mondale campaigning in Gary, IN, 10/23/1972

SURVEY: DOMESTIC ISSUES MORE IMPORTANT THAN FOREIGN POLICY AMONG EARLY VOTERS

…Economic fears, heightened by the ongoing price and wages freeze, seem to have overshadowed this administration’s past foreign policy successes. Hoping to capitalize on this, democratic candidates are now focusing more on the economy, while more conservative and Republican candidates see foreign policy as the higher priority in this race…

– The Washington Post, 10/28/1972

SNYOPSIS

“Archie gets upset when Mike donates money he recently inherited towards Walter Mondale’s presidential campaign instead of contributing towards his room and board, and Gloria is appalled that Archie is considering voting for one of the conservative “hippy” candidates.”

SCRIPT

[snip]

Archie: “Nobody living under my roof for free is voting for some droopy-eyed pinko.”

Mike: “Arch, Mondale’s nowhere close to being a socialist.”

Archie: “Eh, all them Democrats are pinkos. Especially that Gravel guy.”

Gloria: “What do you mean especially, Dad?”

Edith: “Oh, that Mike Gravel is so handsome, just like a movie star.”

Archie: “Edith, will you stifle yourself, please?”

Mike: “Go on, Archie, I’d like to hear this.”

Archie: “It’s very simple. He’s from Alaska, right? Right. And who’s Alaska’s neighbor? Russia!”

Gloria: “So?”

Archie: “So if he don’t like pinkos, why’s he living next to them?!”

Gloria: “Well at least that means you’re voting for Scranton.”

Archie: “The guy with the Russian running mate? You’re crazy!”

Mike: “Oh, what now?!”

Archie: “Hello? Stepovich! His name is ‘Stepovich.’ The Russians aren’t even trying to hide their spies anymore!”

Mike: “What? Stepovich isn’t even Russian; it’s Polish!”

Archie: “(dramatic) Oh-ho-ho! So, one of your kind, eh? That explains so much! Also – Russkie, Polack, same difference, both kinds are pinkos!” [4]

[snip]

– Transcript from All in the Family, Season 3, Episode 8, “Mike Comes Into Money,” first aired 11/4/1972 [5]

“It is now time for another great American to hold high the torch of liberty.”

“Apollo 10 and the Hydrogen Bomb are both testaments to mankind’s potential, as they are examples of our constructive and destructive nature and our constructive and destructive potential. We must understand that we must always look to the constructive ways, with diligent consideration and contemplation, and in the years ahead I believe that, if elected, my good friend William Scranton will do just that.”

– Excerpts of Colonel Sanders’s 11/3/1972 national address

KTEHwRi.png

[pic: imgur.com/KTEHwRi ] [6]
Popular Vote
Mondale/Gravel: 39,383,725 (48.2%)
Scranton/Stepovich: 35,870,241 (43.9%)
Engelhardt/Rarick (H.I.P.): 2,859,812 (3.5%)
Walker/Morris (Defense): 2,287,851 (2.8%)
Alger/Bitch (Country): 1,062,216 (1.3%)
Jenness/DeBerry (N.M./Socialist Workers): 163,418 (0.2%)
All other candidates: 81,709 (0.1%)
Total votes cast: 81,708,972

Close States
Ohio, Wisconsin, Arizona, Florida and Nevada were the closest states in that order. Early polls suggested Scranton would win all four, only for him to win Arizona, Florida and Nevada in the end.[49] Scranton won Alaska by a margin of 3.7%, possibly due to media scrutiny of his running mate made more Alaskans aware of Stepovich than Gravel.[50-better_citation_needed] Scranton also came within 5% of winning California, which would have given him the election via its hefty 45 electoral votes[49].

Analyses
Many contemporary pundits agreed “Scranton lost an election he should have won quite easily,”[51] but failed to “bring new ideas to the table,”[17] “appeal to enough party conservatives to unity the party before election day;”[52] others criticized his “flat”[53] and “uninspiring”[18] personality for the loss. Mondale, meanwhile, was considered “energetic”[33] and subjectively “charismatic,”[34] and pundits commended him for his “work-heavy” coalition of blue-collar voters “ranging from Latino farmhands in New Mexico to construction workers in Chicago to the white ethnic groups of New York City to hard-working and assiduous-but-unsung housewives nationwide” and young progressive college-educated voters.[54]

Records Broken
The election made Mondale the first Norwegian-American US President, the second youngest President in American history (elected at the age of 44, but turning 45 fifteen days before the inauguration), and the first person under the age of 50 to be elected President in 68 years, since Theodore Roosevelt won a full term in 1904 at the age of 46. The Electoral College, conservative former US Representative I. M. Blitch became the first woman to receive an electoral vote in a US Presidential election, via a faithless elector. ...On Inauguration day, the oldest American to serve as President was succeeded by the youngest American elected President.

– clickipedia.usa.org

VpMth4X.png

[pic: imgur.com/VpMth4X ]
– Mondale holds up the arm of his running mate in front of a cheering crowd shortly after receiving over 270 electoral votes, 1:57 A.M., 11/8/1972

United States Senate election results, 1972

Date: November 7, 1972
Seats: 35 of 100
Seats needed for majority: 51
Senate majority leader: Mike Mansfield (D-MT)
Senate minority leader: Barry Goldwater (R-AZ)
Seats before election: 54 (D), 45 (R), 1 (I)
Seats after election: 56 (D), 43 (R), 1 (I)
Seat change: D ^ 2, R v 2, 0 - I

Full List:
Alabama: John L. LeFlore (D) over Winston “Red” Blount Jr. (R), incumbent John Sparkman (Independent Democrat), and Herbert W. Stone (Conservative)
Alaska: Eben Hopson (D) over Howard Wallace Pollock (R)
Arkansas: incumbent John L. McClellan (D) over Wayne H. Babbitt (R)
Colorado: incumbent Gordon L. Allott (R) over Floyd K. Haskell (D) and Secundion Salazar (La Raza Unida)
Connecticut (special): incumbent appointee Antonina P. Uccello (R) over Gloria Schafer (D)
Delaware: incumbent J. Caleb Boggs (R) over Joseph Biden (D)
Georgia: Jimmy Carter (D) over Fletcher Thompson (R) and J.B. Stoner (HIP); incumbent appointee Ernest Vandiver (D) lost nomination
Idaho: Richard H. Stallings (D) over incumbent Len Jordan (R)
Illinois: Charles Percy (R) over Roman Pucinski (D); incumbent Paul Douglas (D) retired
Iowa: Dick Clark (D) over incumbent Jack Miller (R) and William A. Rocap Jr. (HIP)
Kansas: incumbent James B. Pearson (R) over Arch Tetzlaff (D) and Gene Miller (Conservative)
Kentucky: Lawrence W. Wetherby (D) over Jesse Nicholas Ryan Cecil (R), Louie Nunn (I) and Helen Breeden (HIP); incumbent John Sherman Cooper (R)
Louisiana: incumbent appointee Jack P. F. Gremillion Sr. (D) over B. C. Toledano (R) and Hall M. Lyons (HIP)
Maine: William Hathaway (D) over incumbent Margaret Chase Smith (R)
Massachusetts: incumbent Ed Brooke (R) over John J. Droney (D)
Michigan: incumbent Robert Griffin (R) over Frank J. Kelley (D), Jerome P. Cavanagh (Independent), Patrick Dillinger (HIP) and Barbara Halpert (Human Rights)
Minnesota: incumbent Walter Mondale (D) over Phil Hansen (R)
Mississippi: incumbent James Eastland (D) over James H. Meredith (R) and Prentiss Walker (I)
Montana: Henry S. “Hank” Hibbard (R) over incumbent Lee Metcalf (D)
Nebraska: Orrin Hatch (R) [7] over Philip C. Sorensen (D) and Terry Carpenter (I); incumbent appointee Dwight W. Burney (R) retired
New Hampshire: Harrison Reed Thyng (R) over incumbent Thomas J. McIntyre (D)
New Jersey: incumbent Clifford P. Case (R) over Balfour Bowen Thorn Lord (D)
New Mexico: Roberto Mondragon (D) over Pete Domenici (R) and Jack Daniels (Independent Democratic); incumbent Clinton Presba Anderson (D) retired
North Carolina: Terry Sanford (D) elected over Jesse Helms (R); incumbent B. Everett Jordan (D) retired
Oklahoma: incumbent Bud Wilkinson (R) over Ed Edmondson (D) and William G. Roach (HIP)
Oregon: incumbent Mark Hatfield (R) over Edith Green (D)
Rhode Island: incumbent Claiborne Pell (D) over John Chafee (R) and John Quattrocchi Jr. (Independent)
South Carolina: incumbent Strom Thurmond (R) over Eugene N. Zeigler (D)
South Dakota: James Abourezk (D) won over Robert W. Hirsch (R); incumbent Karl Earl Mundt (R) retired
Tennessee: incumbent Howard Baker (R) over Ray Blanton (D)
Texas: incumbent Lyndon B. Johnson (D) over Bruce Alger (R)
Vermont (special): Robert Theodore Stafford (R) over incumbent appointee Thomas P. Salmon (D)
Virginia: John Otho Marsh Jr. (D) over incumbent appointee William Lloyd Scott (R) and Horace E. Henderson (Independent)
West Virginia: incumbent Jennings Randolph (D) over Louis Leonard (R)
Wyoming: incumbent Gale W. McGee (D) over Keith Thomson (R)

– knowledgepolitics.co.usa

…Tonight’s map favors the Democrats. Of the 35 seats, Democrats hold 15 and Republicans hold 20. …Four incumbent US Senators died last year, and that tipped the Senate composition in favor of the GOP by a net of 1 seat. One seat made vacant by the death of Democratic US Senator Thomas J. Dodd, but was then filled in by the Republican Antonina Uccello. Governor Callahan of Virginia, meanwhile, appointed a Republican to Democratic Senator Robertson’s seat, and Governor Hoff appointed a Democrat to the seat of the late Republican Senator from Vermont… The seat of the late Senator Richard Russell stayed in Democratic hands. …All in all, tonight’s senate elections saw the election of 14 new Senators. …Overall, the night’s US Senate results were a mixed bag of sorts. The most likely explanation for the Republican losses, in this reporter’s opinion, is plain old voter fatigue...

– CBS Evening News, 11/7/1972 election coverage broadcast

While city councilman Joe Biden initially trailed Boggs by almost 30 percentage points, the young neophyte narrowed the gap to a loss of just 2% due to his running of an energetic campaign. Boggs, suspecting the year to be a bad one for Republicans, increased the time he spent on the campaign trail starting in early October, and outspent Biden 2-to-1 by Election Day. The narrowness, however, greatly impressed Delaware Democrats, who decided to keep his name in mind for the 1974 midterms and the 1976 governor’s race.

– clickopedia.co.usa/Joseph_Biden_(Delaware_politician)/1972_Senate_campaign

United States House of Representatives results, 1972

Seats: All 437
Seats needed for majority: 218
House majority leader: Mo Udall (D-AZ)
House minority leader: Charles Halleck (R-IN)
Last election: 231 (D), 206 (R)
Seats won: 228 (D), 209 (R)
Seat change: D v 3, R ^ 3

Most leaders and prominent members of the G.O.P. blamed Goldwater for the election loss, but Barry fought back the accusations. “They brought this upon themselves by not listening to the voices of the millions of conservatives that supported my campaign. They wanted their voices heard, and Scranton failed to hear!” he told a reporter on November 10. As the weeks passed, the passion seemed to subside as analysts realized how well Republicans had performed. Republicans only lost 2 out of 20 seats, but due to earlier reports suggesting further losses, the slight increase in conservatives entering the House, the gaining of 2 new conservative Republicans in the Senate, and Goldwater’s opponents failing to unite behind a single challenger, it seemed Goldwater would be narrowly re-elected Senate minority leader. However, just days before the January leadership election, half of the anti-Goldwater candidates withdrew their names from consideration and threw their support behind US Senator Howard Baker of Tennessee, the son-in-law of former Senate leader Everett Dirksen. The election was narrow, but Goldwater in the end found himself out of the position. His brand of conservatism was the leading Republican voice in the Senate no longer, but conservatism in the GOP remained on the rise.

United States Governor election results, 1972

State governorship elections held: 19
Seats before: 32 (D), 18 (R)
Seats after: 37 (D), 13 (R)
Seat change: D ^ 5, R v 5

Full List:
Arkansas: Dale L. Bumpers (D) over incumbent Maurice Lee “Footsie” Britt (R)
Delaware: incumbent Russell W. Peterson (R) over Sherman W. Tribbitt (D) and Virginia M. Lyndall (HIP)
Illinois: Paul Simon (D) over Richard B. Ogilvie (R); incumbent Charles Percy (R) retired
Indiana: Robert L. Rock (D) over Otis Bowen (R), Berryman S. Hurley (HIP) and Finley N. Campbell (NM); incumbent J. Irwin Miller (R) was term-limited
Iowa: incumbent Armour Boot (D) over Fred Schwengel (R)
Kansas: Morris Kay (R) over incumbent Robert Docking (D)
Missouri: James W. Symington (D) over Christopher S. “Kit” Bond (R); incumbent Ethan A. H. Shepley (R) was term-limited
Montana: Thomas Lee Judge (D) over Ed Smith (R); incumbent Tim Babcock (R) retired
New Hampshire: Malcolm McLane (D) over Chester Earl Merrow (R); incumbent Harrison Reed Thyng (R) retired
North Carolina: Walter B. Jones Sr. (D) over James Holshouser (R), Hargrove “Skipper” Bowles (Independent Democrat) and Arlis F. Pettyjohn (HIP); incumbent James C. Gardner (R) was term-limited
North Dakota: Aloha Pearl Taylor Brown Eagles (R) over Arthur A. Link (D); incumbent William L. Guy (D) retired
Rhode Island: incumbent J. Joseph Garrahy (D) over Herbert F. DeSimone (R) and Philip W. Noel (Independent)
South Dakota: incumbent George McGovern (D) over Carveth Thompson (R)
Texas: incumbent Waggoner Carr (D) over Henry Grover (R) and Ramsey Muniz (La Raza Unida)
Utah: K. Gunn McKay (D) over Nicholas L. Strike (R); incumbent Mitchell Melich (R) retired
Vermont: Consuelo Bailey (R) over Randolph T. Major (D) and Pete Diamondstone (Liberty Union); incumbent Phil Hoff (D) retired
Washington: incumbent Daniel J. Evans (R) over Albert Rosellini (D) and Vick Gould (Taxpayers)
West Virginia: incumbent Arch A. Moore Jr. (R) over Jay Rockefeller (D)

…James Callaghan, then the leader of the UK’s Labour Party, congratulated Mondale by phone call, as did President of France Francois Mitterrand. …Canada’s Prime Minister Stanfield announced he looked forward to “developing a strong relationship” with Mondale; in Quebec, though, more excitement was made over the election of Vice-President-Elect Mike Gravel, who is the son of Quebec immigrants. Similarly, Norway’s Prime Minister Lars Korvald gave a speech celebrating Mondale’s victory, adding “the win is one for us as well because of Mr. Mondale’s roots here; his paternal grandparents were from here.”…

– clickopedia.co.usa/US_presidential_election,_1972/results/internation_reaction

…The night’s gubernatorial results also confirmed the election of two female governors. The people of Vermont and North Dakota voted for their respective Republican nominees, Consuelo Bailey and Aloha Eagles [8].

…Bailey is a 73-year-old former Lieutenant Governor who was successfully drafted to run for the nomination earlier in the year. Having first won election to public office, winning a seat in the Vermont state senate, in 1930, Bailey was over 40 years of experience, which also includes time spent as the first female speaker of the Vermont house of representatives…

…In North Dakota, Bismarck Tribune’s front page read “Gal Succeeds Guy,” a play on the name of outgoing Governor William L. Guy. His successor is state representative Aloha Eagles, her full name being Aloha Pearl Taylor Eagles (nee Browne). Eagles, 56, was an underdog in the state primary, having only served in the state house since 1967 (she was elected in 1966, 1968 and 1970), but defeated more established candidates by touting her experience as a homemaker to relate to women voters, who gave her a plurality victory in the primary. Eagles is fiscally conservative but socially progressive, which has often put her at odds with other Republicans in the past. In 1969, before the Ms. Arkansas Wave, she promoted women’s rights by authoring a bill to legalize abortion in North Dakota, leading to her receiving death threats; while the bill failed, she nevertheless showed fear in the face of violent opposition, which only contributed to her rising fame in her home state…

Woman’s Day Magazine, special “election ’72” edition, 11/9/1972

“Well, on one hand, too many politicians fudgel [9] around the place, and others are real snollygosters [10], so when it comes to them, I’m glad to be leaving their world. But on the other hand, even more politicians are sincere, or at least try to be. There are politicians who do, or at least try to do their best to do good, or who may not look it but will do what’s right when push comes to shove. Those are the folks going to miss working with.”

– Outgoing President Sanders to a reporter, 11/11/1972

REPORT: TIM LEARY, SHOT OUTSIDE OF HOME, TREATED FOR “NON-FATAL” WOUND AT HOSPITAL

– The San Francisco Chronicle, 11/11/1972

…We never found who tried to take me out, and while I got plenty of sympathy from it, I got the cold shoulder from Mondale. I privately met with him before he became President, and I talked to him about legalizing pot. Mondale outright opposed it, both nationally and even on the state level. I wasn’t going to get backed up by him and his administration over the next four years, I knew that much. So moved up here, to Canada [11]. Decided the best course of action was to continue to fight for my rights, and the rights of all Californians, in political exile.

Timothy Leary, 1989 KNN interview

CONGRESSMAN-ELECT BILL MORGAN SHOT BY ASSASSIN!

– The Columbus Dispatch, 12/1/1972

BILL MORGAN, OHIO POLITICIAN, AGE 44

William Alexander Morgan had a colorful and controversial life that did not at all seem like the kind that would be maintained by a successful Congressional candidate. For many years, Morgan was a man unpopular with the US military. In 1948, he went AWOL, was captured, and spent two years in a military prison. Perhaps spurred by this experience, Morgan initially supported the overthrowing of pro-American Batista, the dictator of Cuba until 1959. Morgan even contributed to Fidel Castro seizing power on the island, over for the American to turn on Fidel in 1961. Morgan then redeemed himself in the eyes of America’s fighting forces by becoming a gunrunner during the Cuban War, and was instrumental in several early battles. After the end of the war in 1965, Morgan returned to his native Ohio a hero. In a move reminiscent of Jean Valjean’s journey of redemption, Morgan’s best-selling 1967 autobiography propelled him into making a successful bid for state senate in 1968. There, he promoted veteran affairs and social programs, and co-authored an unsuccessful “Assured Income” bill. Less than a month ago, he and his wife Ellen, a former snake charmer, and their three children (Anne, b. 1955; William Jr., b. 1957; Carl, b. 1966) were celebrating his election to the US House as a Democrat from one of Ohio’s most liberal congressional districts. Now, a bitter veteran and former member of the Communist Cuban front has slain William Morgan, taking from us one of America’s most compelling characters. He will be greatly missed.

– The Washington Post, obituary column, 12/2/1972

Almost ten years had passed and my Communist Cuban brethren still held contempt for Americans. From Morgan’s assassination, I knew I would still not be forgiven, and that my life would remain in danger as long as I stayed here. I had to leave America after only just having come back a few days prior. I managed to meet with my brother for moment before leading back to the port. I made Robert [E. Lee Oswald Jr.] promise me he would not tell Mama I had been back but had not managed to see her again.

When I asked him how Marina was doing, he told me about how she had he declared legally dead in 1965, had remarried two years ago, and now had a third child, a son named Harland.

I felt so betrayed.

– Lee Harvey Oswald’s autobiography “Call Me By My Real Name: Confessions From a Fallen Hero,” published posthumously

WILL MONDALE REALLY PUSH FOR A GREAT SOCIETY MARK 2?

…The programs are certainly popular among an overwhelming majority of Americans… From January 1961 to January 1965, federal aid for the poor rose from $9.9million to $24.1million despite the heavy amount of the 1963 and 1964 budgets going to the military. From 1965 to 1973, that number only rose to $31.2million due to Sanders’ focus on balancing the federal budget and more libertarian policies. Also during the Johnson administration, almost half-a-million citizens received vocational training from previously inexistent programs. Because Sanders retained most of Johnson’s Great Society legislation, that number of citizens increased to 3 million citizens between January 1965 and January 1972 [12]… Mondale’s calls for expanding programs such as Medicare, Medicaid and the N.I.T.R. played well in the November election, but his middle-of-the-road record in the US Senate makes many progressives pause. Congressman Don Edwards, a supporter of Vice-President-Elect Mike Gravel during this year’s Democratic primaries, says “we [the growing progressive wing of the Democratic party] will work to ensure the President upholds the promises he made during the campaign.”…

– The Los Angeles Times, 12/10/1972

The end-of-the-year report for 1972 was pretty pessimistic – sales were dropping in both foreign and domestic markets. Dave [Thomas]’s Wendyburgers were doing particularly poorly as the market became saturated with more and more competitors. The fancy limited-time-only Wendyburger Supreme, or “Super Wendy,” our response to the surprising successful Ollieburger, was the only silver lining of the year, as it showed there was an audience for more artisanal foods. However, it didn’t seem to be enough. We need a new approach, and that sparked the idea of expanding KFC’s menu.

At the end-of-the-year staff meeting, Pete [Harmon] objected to changing what Pops had left behind, announcing, “I say we stay the course and use the surveys to improve customer experience to stay better than the rising competitors.”

Millie seemed to disagree, instead suggesting that KFC launch a negative ad campaign against the competition, or even implement cost-cutting measures or employee layoffs to cover losses. Harmon, Thomas and I shot down those ideas due to historical backlash to such moves. KFC has always been a positive-minded company, and I wasn’t going to see it resort to attack ads. I instead countered with, “Playing it safe won’t be enough. We need to expand into new territory. The Super Wendy’s proof-positive we can add more offers to the menu without having to remove or change any old classics.”

Millie looked over the numbers and replied, “Even if we bring back the Super Wendy, it won’t be enough to combat the drop in sales. We need something else to renew interest in our brand. Something familiar to remind our customers why KFC became so popular and successful in the first place.”

I knew what she meant.

– Margaret Sanders’ The Colonel’s Secret: Eleven Herbs and a Spicy Daughter, StarGroup International, 1997

In December, Margaret dropped by the White House to ask for what she called “a little favor.”

– Colonel Sanders’ Life As I Have Known It Has Been Finger-Lickin’ Good, Creation House publishing, 1974

GOV. KNUTSON APPOINTS LT. GOV. BOB SHORT TO MONDALE’S VACATED SENATE SEAT

– The Star Tribune, Minnesota newspaper, 12/26/1972

COLONEL SANDERS’ ADMINISTRATION (1965-1973)

Cabinet:
Secretary of State: Carl Curtis (R-NE)
Secretary of the Treasury: Eugene Siler (R-KY)
Secretary of Defense: Charles H. Bonesteel III (I-VA)
Attorney General: Lawrence Edward Walsh (D-NY) (1965-1969), Wayne M. Collins (I-CA) (1969-1973)
Postmaster General: Leif Erickson (D-MT)
Secretary of the Interior: George Dewey Clyde (R-UT)
Secretary of Agriculture: Bourke Hickenlooper (R-IA) (1965-1971), Walter Judd (R-MN) (1971-1973)
Secretary of Commerce: Milton Friedman (R-IL)
Secretary of Labor: Arthur Larson (R-SD) (1965-1969), Herbert Hoover Jr. (R-CA) (1969), Charlotte Reid (R-IL) (1970-1973)
Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare: Nelson Rockefeller (R-NY)
Secretary of Transportation: John C. Coolidge III (R-MA)

Cabinet-Level Positions:
Director of the Central Intelligence Agency: Allen W. Dulles (R-NY) (1965-1969), Joseph H. Ball (R-MN) (1969-1973)
Director of the Federal Bureau of Information: J. Edgar Hoover (I-DC) (1965-1969), William C. Sullivan (D-MA) (1969-1973)
US Trade Representative: Florence Dwyer (R-NJ)

Other Notable Members:
Surgeon General: Luther Leonidas Terry (I-AL)
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff: William B. Franke (I-NY) (1965-1969), Benjamin O. Davis Jr. (I-DC) (1969-1973)
Federal Reserve Chairman: William McChesney Martin (D-MO) (1965-1972), George Wilder Mitchell (D-WI) (1972-1973) [13]
NASA Director: James Edwin Webb (I-NC) (1965-1972), Harold Brown (D-NY) (1972-1973)

– ColonelSandersPresidentialLibrary.org.usa/cabinet_members/1969

MONDALE TEAM REVEALS POTENTIAL CABINET MEMBERS

Washington, DC – Upholding his pledge to maintain a transparent administration, President-Elect Mondale today allowed his transition team to release the names of several politicians currently being vetted for positions in the upcoming Mondale White House. The list features many “outsider” considerations alongside well-known names. …US Senator Philleo Nash (D-WI) may be chosen for Interior or even State… US Congressman and former state senator Fred R. Harris (D-OK) may be selected for an advisory position… Former Treasury Undersecretary Robert Roosa in being vetted for Treasury… Prominent lawyer Warren Christopher may be tapped for Attorney General…

In regards to the Mondale White House’ inner circle, Sam W. Brown Jr., who worked on the Mondale campaign from the beginning, will likely become the White House Communications Director. …Former Undersecretary of State Robert Kennedy, famous for campaigning with labor activist Cesar Chavez and the late Ralph Abernathy, may be nominated for Secretary of Labor, H.E.W., or for a diplomatic position…

The Washington Post, 12/29/1972

DyOd4W1.png

[pic: imgur.com/DyOd4W1 ]
– Mondale meets with Ralph Nader to discuss the possibility of the latter being nominated for Secretary of Transportation; Mondale’s Senate office, 12/29/1972

ANNOUNCER (as newsreel footage plays): …”The Great Roberto, the roaming and batting Roberto Clemente, arrived in Nicaragua yesterday to deliver aid to earthquake victims. Clemente’s activism lead to him organizing emergency relief flights after the nation’s capital city of Managua suffered a massive earthquake on the 23rd, only for the relief equipment of the first three flights to land in the hands of corrupt government officials in the troubled South American country. The baseball right fielder for the Pittsburgh Pirates has opted to personally oversee the transfer of the goods, sparing no expense as he climbed into a brand-new airplane in Miami for the long trip over. [footage of Clemente boarding plane] Clemente spends much of the off-season doing charity work, and to him, Nicaragua is no exception. [footage of plane at capital] Hundreds of locals wave and cheer as Clemente hands out towels and sandwiches. [footage of Clemente distributing aid] When asked, Clemente says he is not discouraged by the corruption.”

CLEMENTE (in footage): “You have to help out those who can’t help themselves no matter who may want to stop you because they want to worsen the situation. You have to do your best and be the best you can be, because you never know what can happen tomorrow. You could wind up in their shoes someday.” [14]

ANNOUNCER (as footage plays): [footage of plane landing] “As the Grand Roberto received a warm welcome home today, his mind seemed to linger on the prospects of the people of Managua. It may just be that his humanitarian work has only just begun.”

– BBC World News report, 1/4/1973

HE’LL ALWAYS BE THE COLONEL

...Sanders leaves behind a mixed legacy in the eyes of fiscal conservatives. “On the one hand, he and his treasury were generous when it came to promoting free enterprise via subsidies for industry. On the other hand, his use of federal funds for social aid and development programs bordered on socialism,” [L. Brent guy] laments. Other conservatives remain critical of the N.I.T.R., a landmark bill, but most conservatives and business owners seem proud of the Colonel’s effective calls for industry self-regulation, albeit “self-regulation within reason,” as the Colonel once put it, establishing guidelines instead of mandatory regulations.

…Farmers supported Sanders due to his paradoxical support of both anti-centralized-government policies and the expansion of the government’s role in assisting in crop price support, disaster relief, flood control, national weather warning systems, trade details, farm loans, highway development, rivers being dammed, food and drug safety, and medical in rural areas.

…What’s next for the Colonel? At 82, he would be forgiven if he retired from public service, but most of the people close to him disagree. “Even now, he’s still a man who likes to keep himself busy. He’ll find something to do, some problem to fix, some idea to build upon, and when he does he’ll roll up his sleeves once more,” promises First Lady Claudia…

The New Yorker, 1/6/1973 issue

The Five Best and Five Worst Aspects of the Colonel Sanders Presidency

The Best Aspects

1 Negative Income Tax Rebate Act of 1971 – A moderate alternative to the Federal Assistance Dividend proposal, the NITR changed the composition of poverty in the United States.
2 The Cold War Thaw – while roughly the first half of the Sanders Administration handled an icy relationship with the USSR’s Premier’s Shelepin and Inauri, Sanders and Kosygin managed a friendly détente; furthermore, in order to prevent war from breaking out on the Korean peninsula in 1967, Sanders achieved success in the game-changing task of opening up trade to the People’s Republic of China.
3 The Ms. Arkansas Scandal – While it sullied the reputation of the man America had grown to almost idolize (albeit temporarily), the scandal turned out to be a watershed moment for feminism that left a positive impact on the world in the long-term.
4 Winning the Indochina Wars – Overseeing a strategy of utilizing the land of Southeast Asia to American advantage led to the unification of Vietnam in 1967, the defeat of the Pathet Lao in 1968, and the capturing of Cambodia’s Pol Pot in 1972.
5 Promoting Healthy Practices – The Scranton Report impacted the tobacco industry and promoted exercise and healthy food consumption practices

The Worst Aspects
1 Deregulating Business – While it initially boosted the economy in the aftermath of the Salad Oil scandal, the Colonel’s moderate pro-management laws were partly if not mostly to blame for the economic effects that occurred after he left office.
2 Alleged Conflicts of Interest with KFC
3 Strengthened Censorship Regulations
4 Alleged Religious Bias
5 Temper – until his fifth year in office, the Colonel was infamous among his inner circle for having a temper; though no public incidents of cane whacking ever happened while he was in office, later reports, most notably an incident concerning FBI Director Hoover, have confirmed his aggressive personality trait.

Overall: The Colonel is general considered to have been an above-average President, often ranking in the second-highest tier of Presidential rankings, most often between numbers 5 and 10. Americans remember his administration as one of prosperity for the nation, with the Colonel’s negative aspects often being either overlooked or, given his positive aspects, forgiven.

– The President Colonel Sanders Historical Society website, c. 2019

In my last month in office, I took things both slow and fast. I knew that if I ever wanted to see the White house again, it would have to be through invitation or via the tour, so I made the most of it without stressing myself out. I made some Presidential Pardons. I watched the Super Bowl with friends and family; it was a good game. I helped Claudia and the staff with the packing. I passed some executive orders, too. Most were small things, but one included an increase in funding for welfare programs.

I also spent a great number of hours conversing with Mondale over what was in store for him once he went and sat behind the President’s desk. On the first day, the tenth of January 1973, I met with the President-elect to help Mondale learn the ropes, which I hope starts a tradition of the outgoing President participating in the transition process. I think it would help ease the switch. Anyway, I called him to the White House to discuss how to implement exercise into what I call the “American routine.” Typically, that’s sitting down at all three square meals of the day, sitting while traveling to work, sitting while traveling from work, and sitting after work to relax. A part of me thinks that if the average American works hard enough, sweating and cracking their backs to make a living, they’re already keeping themselves fit. But in this modern work of unhealthy food and typewriter desks and more people riding subway trains than tractors, working hard isn’t always body-working. Those kind of folk need to be encouraged to move around so they can keep themselves well fit. Promoting exercise regimen recommendations and programs was the best I could do on my way out the door, and I hoped my successor would continue it.

– Colonel Sanders’ Life As I Have Known It Has Been Finger-Lickin’ Good, Creation House publishing, 1974

The former fast-food giant promoting healthy living was ironic and even a bit funny to me, I will admit, but it was not the only baton he passed to me. In his last meeting with me before I started the job, the Colonel brought me over to the Resolute Desk. He pulled out a manila folder from the bottom drawer and handed it to me. Inside was a very blunt letter of resignation, dated June 1966.

“What’s this?” I asked him.

“Fritz, after the first try at stormin’ into northern Vietnam failed, I was feeling so low over the deaths overseas. I felt this unbearable guilt hit me like a slow-moving train. I figured I alone was to blame for forever taking those boys away from their loved ones. In those moments of shock, I felt so unworthy of the Presidency, I thought I didn’t deserve to stay on any longer.”

“What made you stay on?” I inquired.

“I had to right the wrong. To leave would have been cowardly, which is not my style. I soon figured that if it was my responsibility, then it was my duty to make sure they did not dies in vain. It was my mess, and I had to clean it up.”

“Why are you telling me this?” was my final thought.

“Because I want you to remember two things above all, Fritz. Number one: never, and I mean, never, back down from what you know is the right thing to do. And number two: always own up to your mistakes. The buck has to stop here, because that’s an unwritten part of the job description.”

“I knew this was a tough job went I applied for it, Colonel,” I assured him.

“Well, remember those two things just the same. Because you’d be surprised by how much running a country is not at all like running a chicken franchise. Instead of grease-fires and exploding pressure-fryers, you got fire-bombings and the threat of nuclear explosions. Instead of annoying customers, you got annoying legislators,” he sighed, and, breaking off into a tangent, ranted, “And there’s rarely a moment where, instead of ordering the cook to do it, you can actually go and sneak on down to the kitchen to make some of your own chicken for yourself!”

The Colonel came off as a very deep and passionate man.

– Walter Mondale’s The Good Fight: An Autobiography, D. McKay Company, 1995; second edition (note: passage not found in first edition from 1981)

SUPER BOWL ’72: MIAMI CLIMAXES PERFECT SEASON, BEATS REDSKINS 14-7

– The New York Post, 1/14/1973

“My fellow Americans, in just two days I will return to being a citizen. Serving in this position has been a most tremendous honor. …Now, we look for a moment into the very future of America, a future that has been opened up to us by the hard work done during this administration and assisted by the advancements of the previous administrations, and smile with optimism at what the next administration promises to bring. In short – so long, D.C.! It’s been a heck of a ride!”

– Colonel Sanders, live from the Oval Office, multi-channel TV/radio broadcast, 1/18/1973

The Colonel finally stood to give one last speech. “Gentlemen,” he began, “There’s nothing more for us to do on these grounds but to grab as many office supplies as we can. Then, we’ll watch over the long-term effects of all the good work that has been accomplished during these last eight years. Some of you have been here since the beginning, others for much less. But I must say that it was equally wonderful working with y’all. It was a real honor. I couldn’t be more proud of what we have done together.” And picking up his glass of ginger ale, he toasted the room. “To us, and to America!”

– Former WH Press Secretary Lee Edwards, recounting the final meeting held at the WH house during the Sanders administration, 2010 KNN interview

ytxvIIL.png

[pic: imgur.com/ytxvIIL ]
– The Colonel, on his last walk around the White House grounds as the incumbent President, early 1/20/1973

“The world is constantly changing and we must change with it, or fall behind and be left in the dirt and dust that lies behind the path of progress and prosperity.”

“And as your President, I pledge to secure your safety at home and abroad, to support your right to speak as loud and as passionate as you can, to protect your prosperity, and to defend the American way from all forms of harm!”

– Quotes from Walter Mondale’s inaugural address, 1/20/1973

jFjXNHP.png

[pic: imgur.com/jFjXNHP ]
Walter Frederick “Fritz” Mondale, the 37th President of the United States of America

NOTE(S)/SOURCE(S)
[1] OTL: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-25489501
[2] So here, Dobson: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/16533251/harmon-archibald-dobson doesn’t die in a plane crash on April 11, 1967. Like Walmart founder Sam Walton, Dobson was a pilot (Huh. I guess the fates of Dobson and Sam Walton ended up reversed for this TL. Hm, wasn’t planning on that, but, you know what? I like it, I think it works.)
[3] Quote found on Whataburger’s wiki page.
[4] My apologies for the insensitive language, but this really is how that character would talk.
[5] OTL episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RI3-IayM7E
[6] Florida received one less electoral vote than IOTL due to its slower rate of increase in population here. IOTL, Florida’s Cuban population increased dramatically in the aftermath of Castro’s consolidation of power on the island; between 1959 and 1974, “about 500,000 Cubans…arrived in Miami,” according to https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_migration_to_Miami. Here, communism was defeated in Cuba, and so the Cubans who migrated post-1965 in OTL never did so here; some may have even moved back to Cuba (this also means that Miami has a bit less of a Cuban influence, but is still becoming the preferred tourist destination of the state). Wisconsin gets the additional vote due to its OTL rise in population, based on the chart in the demographics section of Wisconsin’s wiki article.
[7] IOTL, Hatch moved from his native Pennsylvania to Utah in 1969 to practice law. Here, butterflies make him end up in Nebraska instead.
[8] Real person!: http://politicalstrangenames.blogspot.com/2014/07/aloha-eagles-1916-1992.html
[9] It means “to pretend to work while actually doing nothing.”
[10] It means “shrews and unprincipled persons.”
[11] He wouldn’t stay and fight his legal battle because he fled from them in OTL!
[12] All statistics based on the data found on Wikipedia’s Great Society article, but here the 1965-1969 trends have been adjusted to demonstrate how they likely would have played out in 1961-965 instead, and under President Sanders.
[13] Secretary Friedman declined the Colonel’s offer to give him the job due to a lack of interest, the F.R.C.’s early opposition to some of Friedman’s views, and preferring to return to academia.
[14] Italicized part is OTL quote (Source 68 on his wiki page).

Bob Ross and Disney sounds like a match made in heaven.
Thanks!

Well, considering this is the proper thread to talk about, I wonder what you would think of this latest OTL KFC PR idea... Don't blame me for posting this.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...in-this-official-kfc-dating-sim?sf108668094=1

I wonder what would or could happen TTL... Ideas, opinions on the matter?

o_0 Um, uh, I don't, um, what in the - I mean, the Colonel would certainly never - would he? No! Argh... [insert "there is no emoticon for what I am feeling" gif here] (I don't blame you, but IMHO, that is no way to honor a legendary American. Then again, neither is "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter," yet most folks in my high school were not offended by the disrespect and historical inaccuracy.)

Pop culture does what it does. If it's what (a portion of) the people want, who am I to oppose it?

Good eye, @Sciox , fixed it! (It was originally one speech and it seems there was some overlap when I split it into two small speeches) Thanks!

1) Vida Blue may well have played all year without a signed contract. I'd expect Oakalnd (if that where's the Athletics are) to still win the World Series, their first since 1930 back in Philadelphia (and first pennant since 1931), but questions will swirl if Blue becomes a free agent. OTOH, Steinbrenner didn't yet have the Yankees, he bought them in early 1973, so who he goes to will be a good question.

2) TTL the A's might be known as the Berded Bunch. OTL Charlie Finley told all his players to grow mustaches for publicity and also becasue that was such a stand against the system. TTL, however, President Sanders has a mustache and even a small beard. (Would that be considered a goatee?) Facial hair is therefore not a onerous as it was OTL. OTOH, some of the more conservative franchises will still forbid faciaal hair, I'm sure.

3) 1972 in Decemberis whenRoberto Clemente died in a plane crash - he could survive here.

4) I presume that the Braves still moved to Atlanta? Hank Aaron might get a couple extra home runs and set the record on one of the last days of 1973 - hopefully against the Dodgers still, as Vin Scully's call is a thing of beauty

5) The more I thinkabout it, it's possible the financial straigts of the Pilts inSeattle are known early and Louisville is an Ameircan League team. Knsas City was going to get an expansion team becasue of the A's move, so that means the White Sox could move to MIlwaukee and announce it in 1972 - Dick Allen nearly won the Triple Crown for them (and could TTL) but that might not even be enough.

Or, they could have moved in 1972, and Allen's Triple Crown comes for the new Milwaukee White Sox.

If they move, they are actually sold to Bud Selig.

6) I guess you *could* throw us a curveball, though - Finley almost moved his A's to Louisville in 1965 or so but league owners rejected it. You haven't told us who the Louisville team is. What if Finley is fought for a couple years and that Louisville Colonels franchse is really the Athletics - and it's Louisville with its garish green and gold winning the 1972 World Series?

7) Oh, boy, I can see it now - Finley would have promoted that name by inviting every colonel, both real and fictional, to the ballpark at one time or another. He could give away monocles like Colonel Klink with the team emblem, oh what a face3!

But, more likely, he stays. Expansion was set for 1971, but they moved it up 2 years because of Finley's antics. You have the Colonels forming for the 1970 season or maybe 1971, so it's just as likely there are expansion teams in Montreal and San Diego in the N.L and theAl.L. has Milwaukee andLouisville, with Finley forced to stay in Kansas City. Maybe he sells to Ewing Kauffman early and becomes the Colonels' owner anyway - the Athletics still win in 1972 but Finley's team comes close to a division title

8) Another thought - Ray Kroc could own the Padres but in the American League. Gene Autry wanted a 2nd west coast team in the A.L.. If the A.L. gets the Padres, because Finley stays in Kansas City (and the commissioner might have forced him and then brokered that agreement for him to sell and get an expansion club), then you have your pick of which other club goes into the A.L., the Brewers or Colonels. With the other joining the Expos in the N.L..

So, to summarize:

1. Athletics win first World Series since 1930, maybe in Kansas City.

2. Vida Blue doesn't have his contract tiff if they are in Kansas City becasue Finley probably sells the team and gets an expansion one.

3. Dick Allen might win the Triple Crown, leading the league in battling average, home runs, and RBIs.

4. Roberto Clemente could survive his plane crash TTL.

5. Hank Aaron will come closer and likely break Babe Ruth's home run record at the end of next year, especially if the Padres are in the A.L. - having to play in San Diego, a horrible park for hitters, 9 games a year for 5 years definitely took at least 2 home runs from Aaron between 1969-1973.

Alright then!...

1) Interesting. Apart from Steinbrenner (do you really think he'd end up somewheres else? ITTL, Donald Trump's playing for the Yankees (I mentioned it in the later 1968 chapter), maybe that changes something?), I'd say all this stays the same.

2) What a fun detail about how the Colonel's facial hair (I think it is a goatee) affects the MLB!

3) Already working on it (as a news(paper?) report covering his humanitarian actions set either in January 1973 or much farther into the future).

4) Consider it canon!

5) But would their financial situation be the same as IOTL if the economy is doing better at this point ITTL than it was in OTL?

6) I'm not an expert on professional baseball (not even close); I'm not even sure what you mean when you ask "who" is the Louisville Colonel's baseball team? But I suppose Finley could join them, sure! The Louisville Colonels' colors are red and white (and gold, too, if I'm remembering my own TL correctly).

7) Whoo, that'd be fun!

8) Could the Padres face off against the Colonels in the American League (and when?)? That means it's still Oakland v Cincinnati in the 1972 World Series (instead of the Colonels vs someone else)?

A lot of interesting ideas here!

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

1. Steinbrenner could buy the Cleveland Indians - he bid on them OTL but was in trouble for campaign donations to Nixon that likely don't come OTL.

5. According to this, the stadium was a dump and there were protests that prevented the building of it where the voters originally approved it. The team might end up moving to Milwaukee anyway; a California bank caalled in a $4 million loan they took out to get the team in the first place. However, this brings up my answer to #6.

6.By who the Colonels are, I mean were they an expansion club and if so in which league? Or a team that moved.

Expansion only came in 1969 because of Finley's move. Otherwise it wouldn't have happened till 1971. Since you have a new commissioner (who could well block his move, unlike OTL, Finley had driven American League owners crazy threatening to move everyplace under the sun almost since the day he bought the club) they could be awarded an expansion team when you say, in the summer of 1969, and then prepare for the 71 expansion which was planned. This lets Finley be the maverick owner of the Colonels and have those wild promotions. The Athletics are thus in Kansas City, and win the World Series (Blue wasn't a big factor in 1972, due to the contract and also arm fatigue), the Padres are an American League team, and so are the Colonels, who are a substitute for the Pilots of OTL.

This means the Colonels and Padres are both American League clubs, and face each other in 12 or 18 games a year, spending on whether the Colonels are in the East or West.

Option B: The Expos almost didn't form in 1969. Butterflies preventing the N.L. President from going to a game at a 3,000 seat facility and being impressed by it, could have caused the deal to fall through, as could not being able to meet with Charles Bronfman after every other member of the group that had put money in on the team dropped out.

NOw, I don't think the Colonels would be a National League club - they would only be about 100 miles from Cincinnati, and thus more likely to be an A.L. city. Mikwaudde and Chicago are about the same distance, though, and if it's an emergency situation then American League history can play out like it did OTL, and the Colonels placed there on an interim basis before everyone realizes, "Hey, the Reds and Colonels are *both* drawing really well, this isn't a problem like we thought." Thus shelving plans to try and move the Colonels somewhere else long term.

The Expos could have even formed in 1969 but then the blurb about the Colonels could mean that they are the ones who failed to make it after a year, too. In this case, the Braves would move to the East and the Colonels would become rivals to the Reds in the West. AAnd, the Colonels and Padres have 18 games against each other in the National League.

Which is more likely? Finley original asked the A.L. to let him move his club to Louisville OTL - he even had a 2-year stadium lease. (WHich of course meant he could move if he wasn't happy.) A more effective Commissioner, like you have TTL, might well say, "Look, FInley is a creep, let's give him an expansion club and make hi sink some investment into it (though he ran everything on a shoestring)." Ewing Kauffman got the expansion club OTL, he could buy the Athletics and then Finley be given the expansion club. No club in Oakland for now, but they could get one later with the new Coliseum, and in fact the Giants might move there instead! (Yes, Candlestick was an awful place to play, its placement at Candlestick Point meant it was 10-15 degrees chillier than the rest of the area and very windy)

And, Finley could even trade for Blue. If his club is playing starting in 1970 (a compromise between the 1969 of OTL and the planned 1971), Blue is just a young minor leaguer who had a few games in 1969.Yes, Finley might have to give up a fair number of players, but as noted, the Athetics can still win the Series in 1972 in Kansas City, while Blue - a CY Young winner and MVP in 1971 who got his club to 2nd place almost singlehandedly - plays without a contract and then blots Louisville as a free agent.

The White Sox are probably going to move to Milwaukee, maybe for the 1973 season, maybe they already did in 1972. Or, Bud Selig might just join forces with Seattle and push for expansion by the mid-'70s. Because a delay of a year means those protests in 1969 keep a domed stadium from being started ont he site which had been promised, which dooms the Seattle bid, but Seattle would still want a major league club.

I hope this helps, and that it hasn't made it more confusing for you. This was really an interesting time in the major leagues.

1) Very plausible that he ends up with the Cleveland Indians

I guess Finley owning the Colonels and them being in the American League is more plausible, especially if TTL's Commissioner decides to keep his eye on things.

I'd go with option A, and keep the team in the city long-term. I think there would be enough local businesspeople to buy the club when Charlie Finley sold it.

If you keep the idea of the Louisville Metropolitan Statistical Area growing to 2 million in the coming years, it could easily support a Major League Baseball team as well as an NBA team. Which leads me to the basketball Colonels.

IOTL, the Colonels didn't make it into the merger because the Chicago Bulls coveted one of the Colonels' star players -- Artis Gilmore -- and would have nixed the ABA/NBA merger unless the Colonels agreed not to go along. The owner, John Y. Brown -- later governor of Kentucky -- sold out, brought the Buffalo Braves of the NBA, then sold off that team's best assets until swapping ownership of the Braves for Irv Levin's ownership of the Celtics. Brown then sold his majority share in the Celtics after making a series of bad deals, basketball-wise.

So when the baseball Colonels get sold, you do NOT want John Y. Brown involved.

I concur, option A is a less chaotic/complicated scenario. Well here, J.Y.B. is busy trying to make Ollie's Trolleys the next big thing, so he wouldn't be the owner. I don't know who would be, but for the sake of simplicity, let's assume it's someone competent and reasonable. I thought I already covered the inclusion of the Colonels into the merger (I'll check). Anyhoo, if the Colonels had to trade Gilmore for inclusion in the merger, and if that's the most sensible thing to do, then I guess they'd do that.

I honestly didn't know there was this much complexity and activity in professional baseball, with there being different leagues, levels, trades, moves, negotiations, interactions, complications, etc.

Personally, I just prefer simply hitting (okay, trying to hit) the ball and then running along the diamond. That's sports to me - playing around in the fresh air with good friends in a healthy bit of competition and camaraderie. Good air, good friends, good food, good times, good game.

Last edited:

nbcman

Donor
I have a question on the 1972 Senate results. It lists "Minnesota: incumbent Walter Mondale (D) over Phil Hansen (R)". Did Mr. Mondale run for 2 positions with the expectation if he won the Presidency that the Governor of MN (Coya Knutson - D who won in 1970 per prior post) would appoint his replacement? Or did the MN Dems run another candidate for Senate?

Nice update there!

Bye Rolf- UK art TV in the 70/80’s won’t quite be the same without you, but I think we will manage.

No 1972 Munich Olympics disaster- what effect on Israeli politics?

Bill Clinton moves to Alaska?

Mondale should be wary of open topped cars- esp now he is President. Even more so if he pushes his tax rises on the rich through. I hope Pres Fritz really tries to fix the tax holes the rich and corps exploit.

What’s Mondale’s stance on alternative energy and such given the Wind Tribune and solar panel are viable tech in the early 70’s?

I noticed a lot of .co.usa domains - is there no .com and the USA uses a local domain like .co.uk? Maybe the UK keeps .gb in this timeline.

President Colonel Sanders sounds like a great President overall.

Much as my luck may be, I come in to an amazing timeline at the brunt end of the focus of the Colonel's Presidency. I do hope you plan to continue on with this timeline (especially noting on the fate of KFC as a Sanders family-owned public company and even the long-term effects of his Presidency and the political sphere).

If anything, I have no doubt my late maternal grandmother (whom had a hatred for LBJ like no other, even when living out on base with my late grandfather) would have voted for the Colonel happily.

All right, finally had the chance to see this. Not a lot to add except the Series is best of 7 - unless they decieded to make it best of 9. Anyway, nice to see Steinbrenner getting the Indians.

Also great to see Dick Allen inKansas City and getting him those few extra hits so he wins the batting title and thus the Triple Crown. He had a lot of issues OTL because of racism but might settle down nicely in Kansas City - he played hard so injuries caught up with him but it'd be nice to imagine he makes the Hall of Fame here. (He's come up just short with the Veteran's Committee here, he'd likely make it in there even if not with regular writers, with whom he feuded a fair amount.)

I also love seeing Clemente live. That would probably give the Pirates a few extra wins in 1973, they only lost to the Mets by 2.5 games so this then changes the N.L. pennant winner. (Unless the Mets can get someone to help over the top.)

Sander mae a really good president. Mondale will be interesting. He won't be seen as the ultra-liberal he was in '84, I don't think this was becasue he ran agaisnt Reagan but also he's still developing his political ideas, mostly, I would think.

Chapter 38: January 1973 – January 1974
Chapter 38: January 1973 – January 1974

“I’ve never met a Kentuckian who wasn’t either thinking about going home or actually going home”

– Happy Chandler [1]

bW7vugo.png

[pic: https://imgur.com/bW7vugo ]
– Mike Gravel retaking the oath of office for the Vice Presidency in a private ceremony, after tripping over the words at the public ceremony [2], as his wife and children look on, 1/20/1973

WALTER MONDALE’S ADMINISTRATION AT THE BEGINNING OF 1973

Cabinet:
Secretary of State: US Senator Philleo Nash of Wisconsin
Secretary of the Treasury: former Undersecretary of the Treasury for Monetary Affairs Robert Vincent Roosa of New York
Secretary of Defense: outgoing Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and retired US Air Force General Benjamin O. Davis Jr. of Washington, D.C
Attorney General: attorney and former Deputy Attorney General Ramsey Clark of Texas
Postmaster General: former US Senator Maurine Neuberger of Oregon
Secretary of the Interior: former state senator Fred R. Harris of Oklahoma
Secretary of Agriculture: former Governor Ryan DeGreffenried Sr. of Alabama
Secretary of Commerce: US Congressman John Emerson Moss of California
Secretary of Labor: former Undersecretary of State Robert F. Kennedy Sr. of Virginia
Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare: former Governor Albert Rossellini of Washington state
Secretary of Transportation: outgoing Administrator of the National Roadways Safety Administration Ralph Nader of Connecticut

Cabinet-Level Positions:
Director of the Central Intelligence Agency: banker and former US Congressman Joseph Walker Barr of Indiana
Director of the Federal Bureau of Information: incumbent William C. Sullivan of Massachusetts
US Trade Representative: President of the United Automobile Workers Walter Reuther of Michigan

The President’s Executive Office:
White House Chief of Staff: Chief of Staff to Senator Mondale Richard Moe of Minnesota
White House Deputy Chief of Staff: African-American attorney Joseph W. Hatchett of Florida
White House Counsel: outgoing White House Appointments Secretary Liddy Hanford of Washington, D.C.
Counselor to the President: lawyer Warren Christopher of California
Chief Domestic Policy Advisor: US Congresswoman Julia Butler Hansen of Washington state
Chief Economic Policy Advisor: former President of the Export-Import Bank of the United States Harold F. Linder of New York
Chief Foreign Policy Advisor: businessman and former US Army combat technician Robert Dale Maxwell of Colorado
Chief National Security Advisor: Columbia University political science professor Samuel P. Huntington of New York
Director of the Office of Management and Budget: former First Lady of Florida Mary Call Darby Collins of Washington, D.C.
White House Communications Director: political activist and campaign organizer Sam W. Brown Jr. of California
White House Press Secretary: former Assistant White House Press Secretary Malcolm MacGregor “Mac” Kilduff Jr. of New York
White House Appointments Secretary: political activist and former campaign press secretary Rudy Boschwitz of Minnesota
Administrator of the Small Business Administration: businessman Alexander Buell “Sandy” Trowbridge III of New Jersey

Other Notable Members:
Solicitor General (representative of the Federal Government before the US Supreme Court): state Supreme Court Associate Justice William Wayne Justice of Texas
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff: African-American US Navy Commander Wesley A. Brown of Maryland
Federal Reserve Chairman: incumbent George Wilder Mitchell of Wisconsin
NASA Director: incumbent Harold Brown of New York

Notable US Ambassadors (in alphabetical order):
To Brazil: former Governor Carl Sanders of South Carolina
To Canada: outgoing Governor Phil Hoff of Vermont
To China: US Congressman Lester Wolff of New York
To France: former Governor John J. McKeithen of Louisiana
To Ireland: actor and political activist Gregory Peck of California
To Japan: businessman, former coast guard commander and former Governor of Guam Carlton Skinner of California
To Lebanon: journalist, peace activist and President of Earlham College Landrum Bolling of Indiana
To Panama: Ambassador to Costa Rica and former Ambassador to El Salvador John Gordon Mein of Washington, D.C.
To Saudi Arabia: outgoing Governor William L. Guy of North Dakota
To Sudan: former US Congressman Alec Gehard Olson of Minnesota
To the U.K.: former First Lady of the United States Ladybird Johnson of Texas
To the U.N.: retired US Army Lieutenant General Keith Lincoln Ware of Colorado
To the U.S.S.R.: US Congressman Joseph Karth of Minnesota
To West Germany: Mayor of Detroit Jerome Cavanagh of Michigan

– MondalePresidentialLibrary.org.usa/cabinet_members/1973 [3]

My first destination out of the White House was a familiar one: Kentucky – known for horseracing, moonshine and bourbon distilleries, coal mining, car manufacturing, tobacco, bluegrass music, college basketball, and my kind of chicken. I had missed the leisurely pace of a good Kentucky morning, the sights, the sounds, even the smells. It felt great to be back in the state I call home, but as I’ve said many times before, I don’t like to rest for too long. My time on Earth wasn’t up, so my work on Earth wasn’t done either!

For months, people had been telling me to write a book. This book. Now that I was out of office, I finally decided to try and write it. But I was too antsy sitting in front of a typewriter all day, and it didn’t feel right to use a Dictaphone, so I wrote this whenever I could while also keeping myself busy doing other things. One of the biggest things that I have done while writing this book by far was me returning to KFC as Official Spokesperson and Chief Senior Advisor. Mildred believed my presence in the company would alleviate its recent decline in profits.

But I don’t want to spend the last chapters of this book telling you about how I wrote this book last year. I’ll tell you what I’ve actually done in this past year instead.

“Now I’ve worked with the French, and while they are good people, when it comes to food I don’t care what anyone says – Kentucky cuisine is the best cuisine! We have more than fried chicken to offer. We’ve got fried catfish and hushpuppies, country fried steak, fresh green beans, pinto beans with cornbread, fried green tomatoes, corn pudding with cheese grits, fried okra and barbecued mutton, burgoo, chili, pecan pie, blackberry pie, bread pudding, and hot browns. We even have derby pie, though that wasn’t around until the late ’50s, so it’s kind of a new thing, but I digress. The point is, folks, I’ve tried the food of every state, from Alaskan king crab to Louisiana gumbo to New England’s clam chowder and lobster rolls to Chicago deep-dish pizza and Michigan’s coney dogs. All that food is wonderful, and I still prefer the good ol’ home cookin’ of good ol’ Kentucky. And I want everyone to know what that’s like. KFC is a slice of Americana experienced outside of Kentucky, across the country and around the world, and as the years go on I want to bring the experience and joy of KFC to even more places on the globe. Because Kentucky Fried Chicken is too good a thing to miss out on!”

– Colonel Sanders’ comments at a “return-to-KFC” ceremony held at KFC headquarters in Florence, KY, 1/31/1973

…The Colonel had many ideas on how to boost KFC sales, and the most popular one was him appearing in new commercials…

[snip]

The biggest change made to the franchise that Sanders ultimately came to accept was replacing the hydrogenated vegetable oil used in his chicken for animal fat. HV oil was cheaper, which was why it had replaced lard in the chicken-making process in the early 1960s, but in 1972, HV oil’s trans fats were linked to artery blockages. Ironically, the revelation came about due to the Scranton-led health-promoting investigations that the Colonel himself had called for while he was President.

Upon his return to working for the company he had founded, The Colonel immediately went to work tweaking the recipe just right, so customers could not taste the change. The Colonel spent days in the kitchen until finally the perfect mixture was found. Cooking is an awful lot like chemistry – you need to understand which elements will create what results under what conditions; this makes me find it funny that the Colonel had quit school all those many years ago over algebra when the man was quite the chemist.

I was not alone in being surprised by his acceptance to change even this central aspect of the company. It seemed we all thought for sure that he would throw a fit. Well, he did, but it was not the tirade we were all expecting; it was much mellower, more serene. Maybe he was slowing down in the temper area as he grew older. Maybe it was his born-again Christian attitude of accepting positive change. Or maybe he had dealt with so much while he was President that something like animal fat replacing hydrogenated vegetable oil was not a top priority to him anymore.

– Dave Thomas’ Under the Colonel’s Wing, Mosaic Publishing, 1982

On February 3, President Mondale proclaimed “A coordinated national government is critical to political stability and economic growth by assuring businessmen do the right thing for their country and do right by their hard-working employees.” Keeping true to his campaign promises, one of the new leader’s first actions in office was the push for further business regulations at both the federal and statewide levels of government. Labor Secretary Kennedy would explain during an appearance on Meet the Press that “many corporations are much older than the agencies that oversee their actions, but many of the laws are outdated or too ineffective.” Kennedy also defended Mondale’s call for workers to have “a better, fairer seat” during C.B.A. negotiations by explaining, “Right now, we are a largely industrialized nation, but we fall far behind the people of Western Europe in regards to unionization.”

ASSOCIATE JUSTICE CLARK RETIRES TO AVOID CONFLICT OF INTEREST

…the Justice’s son, former Assistant Attorney General, Ramsey Clark is Mondale’s official nominee for Attorney General…

– The Washington Post, 2/4/1973

“I’ve travelled all over North America as a restaurateur, and I think I can safely say that Toronto has taken prodigious strides in establishing many fine restaurants. Tourists are now aware of this feature of Toronto, and so is KFC,” I told the room of investors. It was my first trip abroad post-Presidency, and I wanted to improve the company’s situation in Canada. For our Francophone customers, I “even attempted to speak French for regional commercials, but the results were mangled[4]. …The best part of the trip, as it was with many trips, was when the youngsters would see me and recognize who I was. One Ontario-based KFC manager, Ted Gogoff told the local paper the Star... “They’d flock around all the time when he was here. And he was delighted to see them. He loved kids. To them, he was like a year-round Santa Claus.” Ted’s words, not mine. [4]

MONDALE CALLS FOR HOUSE TO PASS NEW CIVIL RIGHTS ACT

Washington, DC – Mondale spoke before the U.S. House of Representative today to make the case for another Civil Rights Act… The new Civil Rights bill, introduced by Emanuel Celler on September 2 of last year, will add to and protect the laws put into effect under the Civil Rights Act of 1962, and expand on the section of that law concerning fair housing and employment practices for African-Americans…

– The Washington Post, 2/19/1973

…Okay, we can now confirm reports coming in from down in Oglala Lakota County, that the, uh, chairman of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, Richard A. “Dick” Wilson, has just been assassinated. On the ninth of this month, impeachment charges were brought before Wilson for corruption. The prosecution, apparently, did not fully prepare for the case despite months of calls for the chairman to resign over quote, “irresponsibly corrupt actions,” end-quote. And, um, upon being escorted out of the city council meeting where the attempt to impeach the chairman had proved unproductive, a reportedly young and angry young man fired several bullets into Chairman Wilson. He died shortly after arriving at a hospital... Um, oh and the assassin, whose name is currently being withheld by police for the time being, was immediately captured at the scene. This development follows months of accusing Wilson of abuse of power such as nepotism, and corruption…

– KBHB (810 AM) South Dakota radio, 2/23/1973 broadcast

FIRST SON’S FIRST BIRTHDAY IN THE WHITE HOUSE

Washington, DC – Billy Mondale celebrates his 11th birthday by blowing out the candles on his cake like any other 11-year-old. But not all kids his age get to have a live elephant at their birthday party. The elephant is on loan from Labor Secretary Robert Kennedy’s home in McLean, Virginia. William H. “Billy” Mondale, the youngest son of President Mondale, is joined in the festivities by his older siblings: Theodore A. “Teddy” Mondale, age 15, and Eleanor Mondale, age 13.

The White House south lawn today hosts a plethora of child-friendly activities: slip-and-slides, clowns, animals, food, and games galore. The festivities culminate in the presentation of a multi-tier chocolate and vanilla cake. The kids dig in mercilessly and soon return for seconds despite the weather beginning to become a bit nippy out.

“It’ll just keep the cake from melting away,” one energetic 11-year-old guest observes.

The Star Tribune, 2/27/1973

LORD OF THE LAND?: Mondale Nominates Miles W. Lord For Supreme Court Seat

...Miles Welton Lord has served as a Judge of the US District Court for the District of Minnesota since 1961… Damon Keith, an African-American judge from Michigan, was rumored to be a potential nominee. Most pundits, however, predicted the nomination would go to William Joseph Nealon Jr., a Judge of the US District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania since 1962…

– The New York Post, 2/28/1973

“Another liberal judge on the court will lead to another Lochner Era, a time when the Supreme Court enforced their own laws on the land in complete violation of and in complete disregard for States’ Rights!”

– Conservative US Senator Henry S. “Hank” Hibbard (R-MT), 3/1/1973

“Harland was not the kind to chit-chat small-talk. He disliked the slow pace of Washington, and would later confess to me that he may have made more executive orders than he should have at the start of his administration. But neither the cabinet nor the boardroom could break Harland’s passionate spirit. [snip] …Harland would strive to be present at the grand opening of every KFC outlet in the United States. Often he would go into the kitchen to meet the new employees and oversee how they did the work. And if he ever saw one of the workers cooking the chicken incorrectly or making the gravy or biscuits the wrong way, he’d fume and stir up a storm, keeping himself from using adult language, but still making his outrage known, swinging his cane and sometimes even throwing the ruined food onto the workers. More than once in his lifetime Harland poured gravy onto someone’s head, or slapped someone in the face with a pipin’ hot piece of bird.”

– Claudia Price Sanders, TNB (Trinity National Broadcasting) interview, 1995

NORTHERN IRELAND VOTES TO REMAIN IN UNION, 98%-TO-2%

…With a turnout of 58%, it is clear that a majority of the people of the province have voted to remain a part of the UK…

The Daily Telegraph, UK newspaper, 9/3/1973

WINNER BY A FOOT!: MP Dingle Foot Elected New Labour Leader As Party Eyes This Year’s Upcoming General Election

Sir Dingle Mackintosh Foot has served in Parliament since 1957 and has, in the years since the Stonehouse Scandal, become a leading critic of PM Enoch Powell. Foot calls for a moderate, “peaceful approach” to the Northern Irish debacle. At age 67, he is the oldest person to become Prime Minister since Winston Churchill...

The Guardian, 13/3/1973

The controversial Conservative leadership of Enoch Powell saw record unemployment as deindustrialization in turn saw the end of much of the country’s manufacturing industries. Paradoxically, though, Powell also oversaw a time of economic growth as stock markets as state-owned industries became privatized. Additionally, inflation dropped; however, so did the power of trade unions. Overall, the Powell years seemed plagued with both fortune and misfortune. Workers kept going on strike, Powell’s own conservative MPs voted against reinstating capital punishment in a vote held in the British House of Commons in 1972, and let’s not even start on the Cod Wars (until the next chapter).

By 1973, Powell’s task of running to maintain office in the upcoming general election seemed to be increasingly difficult. Leaders in Northern Ireland backed the Labour party’s “peaceful pathway” campaign, while Powell’s more aggressive handling of Northern Ireland had been proven to be both ineffective and unpopular. Powell thus sought to capitalize of the fiscal successes of his time in office. Public sector unions had risen consistently due to the tax system remaining robustly progressive and top marginal federal income tax rate was 70%. [5]

However, organized workers heavily backed Labour. When government workers began to organize in large numbers in the 1960s, state school teachers helped lead the way. During the 1960s, the N.U.T. and the N.A.S./U.W.T. grew at a furious pace; in the 1970s, teachers were the most militant government workers, willing to strike even when it was illegal in order to press their demands. Through this period teachers elevated their pay and benefits and won significant reforms, especially reductions in class sizes and increases in education funding. [5] Privately, Powell feared he could not overcome the increasingly powerful political influence of these organizing groups.

– Andrew Marr’s Modern Britain: A History, Pan Macmillan Publishers, 2002 edition

Objectively, the Black September Organization did not have a good record. Since its inception in 1970, the most notable successful act of terrorism they had committed was the assassination of Jordanian Prime Minister Wasfi al-Tal in November 1971. From then on, it was attempted assassinations, botched bombings, and half-baked hijackings. After the failed attack on the Israeli team at the 1972 Olympic Games, Yasser Arafat approved of a plan he called their “last chance.”

On March 1, 1973, eight Black September terrorists assaulted the Saudi Embassy in Khartoum, Sudan, taking 13 people hostage and demanding the release numerous Palestinians held in Israeli prisons. Among the hostages was our Ambassador to Sudan and two American assistants. Mondale demonstrated strength throughout the crisis, outright refusing to negotiate with the terrorists. Instead, the Sudanese government collaborated with us at the CIA to apply pressure to the terrorists holed up and surrounded. On March 3, CIA snipers removed four of the terrorists before the local military stormed the embassy, killing the remaining hostages in the basement, presumably moments before they could murder all the hostages. In the skirmish, two hostages were injured by friendly fire, but made full recoveries.

With this failure in mind, Arafat approved of the PLO shutting down the organization that April, believing “these acts of violence [are] not proving to be beneficial to [their] cause.”

– Joseph Walker Barr’s The Mulling Minnesotan: Mondale’s Military Moments, Borders Books, 1994

The Way Home
is 1973 drama film directed by Hal Ashby from a screenplay written by Waldo Salt from a story by Cuban War veteran John Gilbert. The film stars Jane Fonda and Jon Voight in the lead roles, and stars Bruce Dern, Penelope Milford, and Peter Graves in supporting roles. The film’s narrative follows a young woman, her US Marine husband, and a paralyzed Cuban War veteran she meets while her husband is stationed in post-war Havana.

The film was released theatrically on March 16, 1973. Upon release, the film was a critical and commercial success with critics and audiences; the film grossed $32 million against a budget of $5 million, becoming one of the highest-grossing films of 1973. The film also received seven Academy Award nominations, and won three Academy Awards (one each in the categories of Best Actress, Best Actor, and Best Original Screenplay).

– clickopedia.co.usa

SEN. EUNICE KENNEDY-SHRIVER CO-AUTHORS SINGLE-PAYER UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE BILL

…financed by taxes and with no cost sharing, the concept has received tepid support from President Mondale in recent weeks, while newspaper mogul Ted Kennedy is an enthusiastic backer of the proposed legislation...

– The Boston Globe, 3/25/1973

Last year, coincidently around the same time Senator Shriver was introducing health reform, I felt ill and decided to check into a hospital. It was discovered I had a polyp on my colon. The doctors were afraid the polyp was an indication of cancer. So after calling my minister, the great Reverend Waymon Rodgers of Louisville, Kentucky, he came by to visit me and I prayed with him about my case. I promised to God I would spend whatever days I had left doing right by my fellow man if I made it through the cancer. Pastor Waymon came in and prayed for me. And God healed me. The next day, the tests showed that the polyp had disappeared. The doctor said, “Colonel when I opened you up there wasn’t any polyp.” The doctors pronounced me “cured”! Call it a coincidence all you want to, but I believe that the power of faith saved me that day. And I am determined to stick to my promise to God. [6]

MILES LORD STARTS TENURE ON SUPREME COURT BENCH TODAY

Washington, DC – After a lengthy search to replace the seat of retiring Justice Tom Clark, Judge Lord of Mondale’s home state of Minnesota official began his time on the bench this afternoon…

– The Washington Post, 4/2/1973

5DsMXQz.png

[pic: https://imgur.com/5DsMXQz ]
– The Colonel, discussing business concerns with his son Harley and other KFC executives, while also inspecting a KFC kitchen work station, c. April 1973

…in other news, Ray Kroc, the owner of the San Diego Padres basketball team and the former head of McDonald’s, was cleared of any wrongdoing in a senate committee investigation of his campaign contribution to the Barry Goldwater presidential campaign last year...

– NBC News, 4/10/1973

On Monday, April 16, weeks of deliberations and debates culminated in the House passing a wide-reaching Tax Reform Bill. Then came for the Senate to debate the merit of restructuring tax margins to alleviate the burden felt by the lower and middle classes. Freshman Senator Hank Hibbard, R-MT, was the most vocal opponent of the bill, claiming “this goes too far to the very edge of socialism.” Senator Eastland, Long, and Dole soon followed suit to lead a bipartisan wall of opposition.

New Ideas For Old Problems: The Walter Mondale Presidency, Borderless Books Publishing, 2004

King Zahir Shah was facing a crisis. He had been the ruler of Afghanistan since he was 19, following his assassinated father into office in 1933. 40 years later, his nation was failing to combat the effects of the severe drought of 1971-1972. In April 1973, the King traveled to Washington, D.C. to strike an agreement with President Mondale. The King secured grain and other supplies from the United States in order to repel famine in exchange for more open trade relations. The relief appeased the discontented masses.

Meanwhile, the former Prime Minister of Afghanistan and the King’s cousin/brother-in-law, Mohammad Sardar Daoud Khan, had been planning to overthrow the King over allegations of corruption made against the longtime ruler. The grain deal, however, made his supporters fear the coup would now fail in the wake of the people’s renewed faith in the monarchy. Ultimately, the CIA uncovered the plot, and Mohammad Sardar Daoud Khan was exiled.

In gratitude for saving his country from a possible coup-based civil carnage, King Zahir Shah developed even closer ties to the US. This development angered members of the Soviet Union’s politburo such as Yuri Andropov and Leonid Brezhnev, whom wanted the USSR to have stronger influence over the region and quietly disagreed with Premier Kosygin’s backing of “razryadka” (détente) with the West. Their view of the situation subsequently led to Andropov and Brezhnev assuring increased financial support of the pro-Soviet Khalq and Parham Communist parties in Afghanistan’s bicameral legislature.

– Tamim Ansary’s Games Without Rules: The Often-Interrupted History of Afghanistan, Hachette Book Group, 2012

Billy Graham’s relationship with Mondale was considerably less personal than the one he experienced with Lyndon Johnson and the Colonel. For instance, Graham reported feeling “snubbed” by the new President during the White House Easter Egg Roll of April 22, 1973. The President’s less-than-warm reception of the reverend, though, may have had to do with another, considerably more liberal religious figure – Mondale’s older half-brother, the Unitarian minister and Humanist Rev. Lester Mondale.

– Mark Pendergrast’s “For God, Country, and Kentucky Fried Chicken,” Perfect Formula Publishing, 2000

[vid: youtube.com/watch?v=0_RZTrnPiQo ]
– The 1st KFC commercial to feature the Colonel since 1964, in which he discusses his faith in a bright future for the next generation, first aired 4/29/1973

TAX REFORM BILL NARROWLY PASSES SENATE! Mondale Will Most Likely Sign It Into Law Next Week

…The Tax Reform Act of 1973 repeals the investment tax credit, increases the minimum standard deduction from $300 plus $100/capita (a total maximum of $1,000) to simply $1,000, and taxes high-income earners who had previously avoided incurring such tax liabilities due to various exemptions and deductions implemented from 1965 to 1972…

The Washington Post, 5/3/1973

Attention: K.F.C.’s first system-wide approved line of desserts, to be entitled “The Colonel’s Little Bucket Desserts,” which officially will be sold as individual portions of approximately 3 ½ ozs. for approximately 40 cents each on May 21. As always, please contact the home office for any additional information. [7]

– KFC memo from HQ to all outlets in the US and Canada, dated 5/7/1973

FOOT BEATS POWELL IN LABOUR LANDSLIDE

…The Labour party, led by Sir Dingle Mackintosh Foot, needed only 318 seats of all 635 seats of the House of Commons to obtain a majority; tonight saw the party’s number of seats swing from 205 to 368. The Conservative Party, led by Enoch Powell, saw their number of seats swing all the way down to 225, in a clear rejection of five turbulent years of Powell’s “Enochonomics” policies... Meanwhile, the Liberal party, led by Eric Lubbock [8], lost five seats, leaving them with a total of 19 seats. Additionally, the Scottish National Party received a total of 15 seats, and the Ulster Unionist Party received a total of four seats, while Plaid Cymru won just two seats.

The Guardian, 15/5/1973

MONDALE’S A.G. ON THE WARPATH!

Washington, DC – The newly-confirmed US Attorney General Ramsey Clark is launching a crusade against Governors and statewide governing bodies across the southern states with the intention of enforcing the 1962 Civil Rights Act. At a press meeting held earlier today, Clark claims “numerous organizations” are “still dragging their feet” in regards to the removal segregated and racially biased policies from establishments and institutions. This query on local practices officially began with investigations into colleges and major multi-state businesses in South Carolina and Georgia this week…

The Clarion-Ledger, Mississippi newspaper, 5/18/1973

EX-REP JEANETTE RANKIN, “AMERICA’S CONSCIENCE,” DIES AT 92

…Rankin was elected to three nonconsecutive two-year terms in the US House from Montana. She was elected to Congress in 1916, 1940, and 1970. She was the first Women elected to Congress, and was the sole member of Congress to vote against US entry into World Wars I and II. Rankin was a lifelong activist for peace and women’s rights who declined to run for re-election last year due to poor health.

The New York Times, 5/20/1973

In light of the US-Afghan grain deal, the USSR’s Secretary of Agriculture, intellectual reformist and Kosygin ally Alex Yakovlev, landed in Washington DC to discuss the possibility of a much larger grain deal between the US and USSR. Yakovlev was aware of the US’s decline in steel production continuing on since the late 1950s while maintaining “a breadbasket in the middle of the country,” while the situation was reversed in the USSR – Kosygin’s industrialization practices kept his comrades busy, but not well-fed. While Yakovlev did not meet with Mondale, he did meet with the more eager Vice President Gravel, who believed the idea could “become a key step in finally ending the Cold War.” The next step, then, was to pass the ideas on to their respective bosses…

New Ideas For Old Problems: The Walter Mondale Presidency, Borderless Books Publishing, 2004

MONDALE ADMIN. ENACTS COST-OF-LIVING ADJUSTMENTS FOR SOCIAL SECURITY: Dow Drops As Markets React

The Wall Street Journal, 5/27/1973

That June I travelled the world with Claudia to check on the KFC restaurants established across the globe since 1964. I relished in the freedom to work at a pace much quicker than that found in Washington. No more three-day weekends, long vacations for every holiday, and political fundraiser dinners for me. However, I would often remember to enjoy my time with Claudia while staying active with work – before Claudia would often make sure I didn’t forget it. Anyway, the first destination was Australia. While not my first time visiting the Land Down Under, it was my first time ever visiting the outback, a sparsely populated desert that in many ways reminded me of the American West. I enjoyed the whole experience immensely, even with the strong winds getting my suit absolutely covered in sand! When one of our guide saw this and look concerned, I told him, “relax, I have more than one set” of my iconic clothes. Claudia, on the other hand, did not appreciate any of the dust, wind, or sand.

At Mondale’s request, Congress established the US Department of Education with the Department of Education Organization Act of 1973. The act, approved 31-19 by the Senate in June, effectively split the responsibilities of the Department of Health, Education and Welfare into two newly formed Cabinet Departments: The Department of Health and Welfare, and the Department of Education. HEW Secretary Rossellini opted to become the new HW Secretary, which kept control of the Center for Disease Control in the bill, while former Governor Grant Sawyer of Nevada was sworn in as the inaugural Secretary of Education by the end of the year.

LOUISVILLE POP. REACHES 400,000 AS LOCAL, STATE ECONOMIES BOOM

– The Courier-Journal, 6/4/1973

In retrospect, the Shawwal War, also known as the Eid al-Fitr War, was inevitable. The 1967 Sukkot War had left the Arabic nations in the region bitter of their defeat, and subsequent negotiations for a peaceful return of territory had gone nowhere. Egypt’s President Anwar Sadat had built up his country’s supply of aircraft, artillery and tanks, and had replaced political military generals with competent military generals.

One element working on the side of peace, though, was Kosygin’s use of détente, which would be jeopardized by instability in the Middle East. However, due to Sadat being supported by Andropov (but, curiously, not Brezhnev, as later reporting revealed), Kosygin all but confessed to having little power of Egypt’s actions in the region in a phone call to Mondale on June 7 [9].

[snip]

The Israel Defense Forces, overconfident in their abilities since the 1967 war, were caught completely off-guard as they truly did not expect an attack during Shawwal. Initially, the war heavily favored the allied nations of Egypt and Syria, and much land was reconquered as Israelis retreated in disarray. However, the Israelis began to bounce back by the fourth day of fighting, recovering from the surprise attack to launch a well-organized counterassault that dug deep into the Sinai. While Kosygin only offered moral support, the United States came to the side of Israel. This very much angered the Saudis.

– Joseph Walker Barr’s The Mulling Minnesotan: Mondale’s Military Moments, Borders Books, 1994

…In a shocking development that will surely reverberate around the world, the multinational group called the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, or OPEC, has proclaimed and imposed an oil embargo on all nations financially and militarily aiding Israel in the current war raging between them and Egypt. This embargo thus impacts us here in the United States, as the US government is allied with Israel…

– Walter Cronkite, CBS Evening News, 6/24/1973 broadcast

OIL CRISIS ROCKS WORLD!: AMID CUTOFF, PRICE FOR GAS IN SOME PLACES JUMPS 200%!!! D.O.W. Holding…For Now

– The Houston Chronicle, 6/25/1973

WHITE HOUSE IN PANIC MODE AS US LOSES KEY OIL ACCESS: Press Secretary Answers “We’re Working On It” 15 Times During Briefing

– The Washington Post, 6/26/1973

The US’s wavering support of the Saudis in exchange for their oil all started with a handshake agreement made in ’45 between FDR & King Abdul Aziz. I would be a hypocrite if I had opposed such a deal when I was in office. The Saudis have always been good to United States and I saw no reason in stirring up trouble over there when I was president. Now, though, now they’ve broken their end of the deal by joining their other friends in this embargo nonsense. And welching on a deal, that’s, well, it’s very disheartening.”

– Former President Harland “Colonel” Sanders to a reporter, 6/25/1973

CONSERVATIVES STAY ON!: Stanfield Secures Thin Majority Of Seats

…Robert Stanfield led his part to victory over Paul Martin Sr. of the Liberal party, Ed Broadbent of the Progressive Tomorrow party, and Réal Caouette of the Ralliement Créditiste party…

The Globe And Mail, Canadian newspaper, 7/12/1973

SYRIANS RETREATING AS ISRAELI, EGYPTIAN TANKS BATTLE IN DESERT

The New York Post, 7/14/1973

The Oil Crisis was hurting the economy and Fritz’s approval ratings. Hundreds and hundreds of soldiers were being killed on both sides. Damascus was being shelled by Israeli forces stretching themselves thin across two battle fronts. Everyone was exhausted.

We needed the war to end. With Egypt being overwhelmed at the back-and-forth of territory on the Sinai Peninsula, Mondale’s prayers were answered when both sides agreed to a ceasefire, the second one that was proposed and to be brokered by the UN. Then the administration learned of OPEC’s announcement – that even though the war was over, the OPEC embargo would stay indefinitely. Naturally, Mondale was downright ticked off, but we soon decided to try and figure out how to get the embargo to be lifted.

HARMAN: Well, we decided to invest in the three-year-old Huntsman Container Corporation because it was a struggling business looking to produce superior egg cartons, replacing flimsy paper and cardboard models with a sturdy-yet-lightweight plastic variety. A contract lead to them producing the clamshell carton for KFC products that has become a classic staple of the KFC experience. Containers, plates and bowls were also produced for KFC as the years continued on; these superior plastic containers ensured the food’s flavor did not leak into the packaging, see? Especially the gravy, that was what sealed the deal for us. And that deal saved the Huntsman Corporation from cash flow issues plaguing them since it was founded, and has greatly advanced the career of its CEO…

INTERVIEWER: So do you believe KFC is responsible for Huntsman’s success?

HARMAN: I don’t like to boast, but it does seem like the company played a major role in it.

[snip]

HARMAN: The Colonel thought one way for KFC to stand out above the other fast-food chains was to open an outlet where no other American fast-food chains existed, but a place that he’d been to once before…

– Pete Harman, 60 Minutes interview, early 1992

“We are pleased to announce the beginning of negotiations for establishing and opening the People’s Republic of China very first Kentucky Fried Chicken franchise outlet!”

– KFC CEO Mildred Sanders at a press conference in Florence, KY, 7/28/1973

a1HHto4.png

[pic: imgur.com/a1HHto4.png ]

– Colonel Sanders, dropping in at a social event in Bangor, ME, gives autographs to some fans while secret serviceman stand guard in the background, 7/30/1973

…The Northern Ireland Assembly elections held on June 28 yielded an unprecedented result, as the government’s white paper revealed… The elections led to an agreed state of power-sharing between Unionists and Nationalists for the first time ever. In the first sitting of the Northern Ireland Assembly today, respective party leaders shook hands in front of the assembly to promote the message of, in the words of UUP party leader Brian Faulkner, “peace over harm and words over stones”…

– BBC World News, 7/31/1973 broadcast [10]

In subsequent cabinet meetings, Transportation Secretary Ralph Nader believed the 1973 Oil Crisis could work as an opportunity to move the country away from foreign oil. Vice President Gravel enthusiastically supported the nation, but Mondale was more concerned for the short-term detriments than the long-term benefits of such a shift in nationwide policy. Mondale believed that he would be a one-term President if Americans were denied a decent price for oil for much longer, and was generally dismissive of Nader’s thoughts on long-term energy investments.

On August 1, Mondale travelled to Saudi Arabia to visit the King of Saudi Arabia, Faisal bin Abdulaziz Al Saud to try to convince him to end the embargo. The King held persuasion over OPE – if anyone could force its hand, it was he. President Mondale offered the expansion of Saudi rights and benefits in and to the American oil industry, to be made official in via treaty. Ultimately, the King agreed to end the embargo in exchange for setting prices on oil at 30%, which the President bartered down to 18%.

The situation was an embarrassment for the White House, as many saw it as the first real time in recent memory that the US had been at the mercy of another nation – or in this case, a multinational organization. It made the country seem weak. Average Americans’ confidence in their nation’s military, political, and diplomatic leaders noticeably dropped…

– Meg Jacobs’ Pressure at the Polls: The Transformation of American Politics in the 1970s, 2016 net-book edition

…While have unconfirmed reports coming in that Elvis Presley has been taken via ambulance from this hotel room here in Chicago to a local hospital, we can confirm that his South Side concert planned for tomorrow has been “postponed indefinitely,”…

– The Overmyer Network, 8/7/1973 broadcast

One good thing that came about from the Colonel’s Waddlin’ Incident – uh, y’know the whole Ark Wave phenomenon – is that it made me eventually start to think about what I myself was shoving into my mouth. I mean, I’m The King, not The Slob. I loved KFC and all, and I would eat at that place all the time too, but after my mini-heart attack back in 1973, I knew I had to cut back on the rich and fatty food. I was 38 and dying, and I went from figurin,’ “with my music, I’m immortal,” to “Holy crap, death is f@#kin’ terrifying!” Heh. Of course, putting down fried chicken and hearty burgers was a struggle – not as bad and slow and as painful as putting down the drugs, but that’s another story, um – but, uh, you know, in the end, it was worth all of it…

– Elvis Presley, KNN interview, 1993

MONDALE SIGNS EMPLOYEE PROTECTION BILL INTO LAW: Bill Meant To Close Loopholes, Protect Union Benefits, And More

– The Chicago Tribune, 8/10/1973

FROM POVERTY TO PROFITS: Local Businessman Tells His Story

For most of his life, local man Sam Byck struggled to make a living; now he owns his own store. Samuel Byck, 43, dropped out of the ninth grade to work odd jobs to support his destitute family, only to repeat the routine upon having a family of his own after two years of service in the US Army. By the end of the 1960s, his wife and four children were often without food despite Byck’s best efforts to make ends meet. Then the economy improve, and the Negative Income Tax Rebate was introduced. “The rebate really helped us stay afloat,” Sam Byck, whom also credits the Small Business Association granting him a loan in 1970 for his newfound success. Given “the chance to prove [him]self,” and with the help of his “family, friends, and consumer confidence,” Byck went from selling tires out of an old school bus to opening his own autoshop here in South Philly…

– The Philadelphia Inquirer, minor “fluff piece” article, 8/11/1973

The UN brokered, US-sponsored ceasefire was signed between Egypt and Israel on August 15, roughly two months after the war had begun, and with it, the oil embargo was lifted.

– Doris Helen Kearns Goodwin’s Leadership In Turbulent Times, Simon & Schuster, 2018

CORRESPONDENT: …while some registered Democrats we spoke to praised Mondale for ending the Oil Crisis, polls show he still has an under 50% approval rating average.

MAN 2: “He dug us out of a hole he put all of us in to begin with.”

WOMAN 3: “He’s the President, he should’ve known backing Israel would make the price of gas shoot up.”

– Overmyer Network special report, 8/29/1973 broadcast

Everybody works as a team and they think nothing of working 12 to 14 hours a day. I guess that’s my influence. I set that example. My telephone is open 24 hours a day. I’m on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week, every week of the month. Before I was President, I once worked three years without taking a single day off. We here in the KFC family had a picnic once on the Fourth of July but I even worked during that. I don’t believe in vacations. My theory was if I could do without them two weeks out of the year, I probably didn’t need them the rest of the time. [11]
– Colonel Sanders, discussing his new advisory role at KFC, Overmyer Network interview, 8/30/1973

Fy03Sya.png

[pic: https://imgur.com/Fy03Sya ]
– The Colonel celebrates his 83rd birthday at KFC headquarters in Florence, KY, 9/9/1973

MONDALE CALLS FOR BETTER WAR VET PROGRAMS

“We need to help veterans suffering from drug addiction… The worries of our veterans do not go away as soon as the war ends or as soon as the cameras stop rolling. The wars in Cuba and Vietnam are over, and the constant news coverage of them is gone, but many of their scars, especially their mental scars, have yet to heal.”

– The Washington Post, 9/12/1973

The Colonel approached the PRC government with the idea of opening a single KFC outlet in Beijing “where Mao could keep an eye on it” in the midst of sweeping economic reforms within the country. In the months leading up to the historic opening, many doubted that a distinct and visible American enterprise like KFC could make a profit in the Chinese market or that a western company could survive in such a climate… Mao era China was far behind the world economically, but the 1968 Mao-Sanders Summit had nevertheless opened up the country to trading with capitalist nations. The Colonel hoped to bring the positive aspects of capitalist business to China for the benefit of his enterprise and the Chinese people, and to strengthen the bond between the two lands. Mao was quietly shying away from the chaotic mixed results of the revolutionary idealism of the Cultural Revolution and inching closer to elevating his country’s economic development in order to build a modern, market-oriented nation. In doing so, Mao was altering the Chinese economy and restructuring Chinese society and culture. Under these conditions, KFC landed what many dubbed “the deal of the century.” [12]

Deng gave me a second chance by allowing me to join him in welcoming the Colonel at the airport to discuss negotiations for opening outlet there. Deng said to Sanders, “I again must apologize for our great Chairman being unable to visit,” as Mao and Vice Chairman Zhou were under the weather.

“Ah, don’t sweat it none, I know how busy running a country can be!” was the Colonel’s reply.

As we walked to the motorcade, Deng watched as the Colonel’s Secret Servicemen perused the area.

“I see you still have a flock of black suits following you,” he observed.

“As a former President, they were part of my farewell package. I’ve tried getting’ rid of ’em, but they just keep followin’ me around like a pack of bloodhounds!”

In the meeting, the Colonel covered every detail that would go into the deal, from the quality of the restaurant’s façade (“I’m okay with fancy stuff, but I want there to be a focus on family and high-quality food”) to the quality of Beijing’s closest chicken farms (“Back in the states, a lot of our chicken comes from local places. A lot more, though, come from Arkansas, specifically the town of Springdale, Arkansas. There’s so many chickens there, you wouldn’t believe it! But still, I want to make sure the customers of the PRC’s KFC outlet are getting the finest locally-raised chicken available”).

– Bo Yibo’s The Dragon and The Eagle: Chinese and American Dances, Daggers and Dinners, English translation, 1998

RALPH NADER SAYS SELF-DRIVING CARS “COULD CURB ROAD ACCIDENTS”

…In a radio Q & A interview, Secretary of Transportation Ralph Nader was asked for his opinion on the concepts of flying cars and self-driving cars, popular elements in science-fiction short stories and comic books since the 1940s. While he described the first idea as “fantastical but not impossible,” he replied to the second concept with “That is a genuinely interesting notion. It’s actually not that outlandish, we’ve been trying out the idea since at least December 1926 [13], by my recollection. We just need to improve the technology for such a thing. It’s my opinion that some sort of computer-based guidance system could curb road accidents.” The Secretary elaborated with “The driver has dozens of variables to judge. Speed, signs, other drivers, pedestrians, disruptive passengers, engine trouble. That’s a lot of stimuli. Some kind of semi-autonomous device for the car could help drivers do some, if not do all, of the driving, at the least for the sake of safety.”…

– The Hollywood Reporter, 9/21/1974

HILLARY RODHAM AND GEORGE CLINTON

…church bells rang out today in celebration of the Holy Union of Hillary Diane Rodham and George Stanley Clinton…

The Nashville Tennessee, celebrations section, 9/25/1974

In September [1973], KFC started regulating what frying oils were being used for their non-chicken products, as uh, what was used differed in some regions – sunflower oil was in parts of California, soybean, canola, or palm oil was used in other parts. And of course the chicken itself was inspected, too – corn-fed chickens taste different from wheat-fed, see? Don’t ask how the Colonel could tell, because it’s very subtle, but he had the taste buds for it, he could always pick out which was which ….The Colonel found my burgers at Wendy’s to be delicious, and when he inspected how the kitchens were kept, he happily approved of my handling of the franchise.

– Dave Thomas, KNN interview, 1993

Another perk to not being President anymore was finally being able to drive again. I no longer had secret servicemen demanding that I always have a driver to the fun part of riding in a car. Having let my old one expired, I finally found the time away from everything to get my license re-issued shortly after turning 83. The same day, I hopped into a trusty old Ford pickup and toured the old roads that I'd driven down so many years ago. I noticed that while I’d grown older, they had grown younger, trading in their gravel and dust for smooth new pavement.

frvACUn.png

[pic: https://imgur.com/frvACUn ]
– The Colonel’s driver’s license, reissued, late September 1973

So I spent the next few years advocating for better working conditions for Mexican Americans. Convinced Zappa and the gang to play at a few benefit gigs in ’72 before we went our separate ways in ’73. After that, I started working on the Mexican Rights movement almost full-time, writing music and joining in on protests and sit-ins. The rest of the country may have been movin’ on, but it was still like the early ’60s for some of us. I got together with some protestors sometimes and we’d drive from injustice spot to injustice spot, crusading against high rent, low pay, unsafe working conditions, and so much f@#kin’ discrimination against the same people who pick the crops that feed you and your family. And of course, we did drugs at the end of the day. After seeing all the misery we were trying to undo, we kind of had to do drugs to remember there was still joy and wonder in the world. And, well, I guess I got careless with how I, uh, stowed away the stash one time too many.

– Richard “Cheech” Marin, KNN interview, 2012

WORLD SERIES: OAKLAND A’S BEAT PIRATES, 4-3!

…Roberto Clemente was still celebrated for bringing the Pirates to victory over the Mets in the National League East division…

Sports Illustrated, 10/21/1973 issue

SCHLAFLY: The ERA will eliminate gender-segregated bathrooms and remove the concept of maternity leave, as that would not be equal to male workers. They can’t get pregnant, so by the law’s own logic, maternity leave is a biased practice!

KENNEDY-SHRIVER: That is not at all what the amendment will do! It ends discrimination, it doesn’t remove benefits that level the playing field. Women too frequently get the short end of the stick when it comes to divorce, employment, wages, and sexual protection laws –

SCHLAFLY: But men and women are not equal at the biological level. The amendment works against women by acting like they are. The ERA will remove dependent-wife benefits from Social Security. It would eliminate the judicial tendency for divorced mothers to receive custody of their children, as it would replace consideration for a mother’s love for the concept of equality based on financial capabilities, and thus judges will always rule in favor of the breadwinners.

KENNEDY-SHRIVER: What? That contradicts the whole point of the ERA. More widows will be eligible for Social Security benefits. The Era addresses this, and how few divorcees receive the alimony the courts call for. Housewives will be given the fair and equal opportunity to develop skills they need to enter the labor force if or when necessary. They no longer have to sit at home tending to an empty nest. They can go out into the world and pursue their interests if given the same opportunities experienced by their male counterparts!

SCHLAFLY: Equalizing the law will benefit men by removing protective aspects upheld by the differences in the law!

KENNEDY-SHRIVER: Ugh, what? A – Have you even read this Amendment, Phyllis? You’re saying nothing but lies and, you know what, I think you know it!

SCHLAFLY: You have to read between the lines, Eunice; everyone knows that.

– US Senator Eunice Kennedy-Shriver (D-MA) and political organizer Phyllis Schlafly (R-IL) on Meet the Press, Saturday 10/6/1973 transcript

…Governor of Massachusetts Pierre Salinger signed the commonwealth’s Free Healthcare Bill into law today… the law establishes a, quote, “universal,” unquote, type of healthcare system for the commonwealth’s residents that will feature options regarding patient’s doctors, hospitals, and insurance; the law is also meant to work with the federal healthcare laws such as Medicare and Medicaid… critics of the bill claim it will only compound and contribute to the state’s rising debt crisis. …Salinger credited former Governor Phil Hoff of Vermont for the concept of the bill gaining support in Massachusetts, as Hoff had campaigned on the subject when running for President early last year. Hoff’s own legislation was inspired by the health care system established in Canada under Prime Minister Hellyer in 1969…

– NBC News, Tuesday, 10/16/1973 broadcast

In October 1973, Mondale, the Joint Chiefs, and the President’s top aides and military experts convened at Camp David to review both the US military budget and US’s strengths and weaknesses in nations around the globe. The biggest good news was that no major socialist or pro-socialism movements were threatening American allies or neutral countries at the moment, but the biggest bad news was that the energy crisis had lowered Americans’ approval of defending US and NATO allies. Mondale decided to deflect the negativity by increasing his focus on domestic concerns.

Immediately after the meeting, Mondale traveled to New York City, where economists were concerned that the metropolis’ debt would trigger a recession, end the past nine years of growth.

FRITZ TO NYC: I’LL HELP YOU!

New York City Hall, NYC – After meeting with US Congressmen, US Senators Javits and O’Dwyer, Governor Biaggi and Mayor Periconi, Preisdent Mondale today announced that the federal government would “bail out” the city of New York. “We still worry about a domino effect oversees, but we have to focus on the more immediate potential for a domino effect at home. If NYC falls, so will the rest of the nation’s economy,” Mondale proclaimed at the announcement in New York City today… The agreement to alleviate the city’s financial woes could benefit Periconi’s approval ratings, especially so close to the next mayoral election. As of the time of this publication, the Republican-Liberal Periconi led the Democratic-Conservative nominee by only roughly 7%...

The New York Post, 10/27/1973

Amtrak Improvement Bill Signed Into Law

The Washington Post, 11/3/1973

…In tonight’s gubernatorial elections, Francis X. McDermott was re-elected Governor of New Jersey in a landslide over state assemblywoman Ann Klein…

– CBS Evening News, 11/6/1973 broadcast

DEMOCRATS WIN BACK GOVERNORSHIP: Elmo Zumwalt Beats Mills Godwin By 5%

…Zumwalt, 53, one of the few Democrats elected in tonight’s elections, ran a conservative campaign… As a retired Navy Admiral, Zumwalt was highly critical of President Mondale’s leadership during this summer’s Oil Crisis...

– The Daily News-Record, Virginia newspaper, 11/6/1973

…And in the city of New York, Mayor Joey Periconi has won a third term, defeating his Democratic challenger, 37-year-old state senator Harrison Jay Goldin, by a wide margin…

The Overmyer Network, 11/6/1973 news broadcast

KENTUCKIANS VOTE TO RATIFY E.R.A. IN OFF-YEAR STATE MIDTERMS

– The Lexington Herald-Leader, Kentucky newspaper, 11/6/1973

THE COLONEL RETURNS TO CHINA: Will It Pay Off For K.F.C. And The P.R.C.?

…As of now, Kentucky Fried Chicken has over 6,000 locations in over 50 nations and is bringing in over $2 billion in revenue annually according to its January 1973 public disclosure forms. …If negotiations are successful, the franchise will become the first Western Chain to open in China [14] …For the first time ever, Chinese citizens will be able to experience not only the flagship pressure-fried chicken of 11 herbs and spices, but also the chain’s classic gravy, fluffy potatoes, and hot rolls with honey, jellied salads, cheese tray and delicacies fore and aft [4].

The New Yorker, 11/14/1973

Their moment seemed to be approaching. Both Mao and Zhou Enlai were in increasingly poor health. The insolence of Mao’s warming of relations to the US was too dangerous for their taste, believing it was a corruption of communist ideals. Even Mao’s wife agreed he was taking things too far. They hoped “the return of the Chicken King” would be the final straw for other leading members of the Communist Party.

In mid-November, Generals Huang Yongsheng and Li Zuopeng, and hard-right ideologue Chen Boda met with Lin Biao and his son Lin Liguo in the basement of a cannery factory four miles outside of Guangzhou, in southern China, where local politicians disliked the idea of capitalism “infesting” the northern region around the capital of Beijing. They needed to be discreet but productive. Via Yongsheng’s connections in Xianning, the Group of Six began to spread the word of their plans, though only through ears and mouths they could trust, starting with official military officials who were promised greater freedom and funding once China “returned to fulfilling the goals of the Cultural Revolution”…

– Jung Chang’s Mao: The Untold Story, Knopf Books, 2005

Heh. Man, I was so pissed off when I got arrested in Fresno [California] for possession of marijuana. It was just a little bit, only 10 kilos, but they threw me in jail and tried to throw away the key. But the great thing about being a political activist is that when you end up behind bars, you become a martyr for your cause, and a political prisoner, kind of. Or at the very least, you’ll have friends working for ya on the outside. Well at least I did. But, uh, honestly, I didn’t expect the “Free Cheech” Movement to become such a huge thing when my friends started it, you know? And I was really surprised when it grew into this whole phenomenon. Doroles Huerta, Cesar Chavez, Zappa, and so many big names made me into thing rallying call for fairer treatment of Hispanics, for prison reform, even for legalizing Mary Jane, something Tim Leary used to be the face of. It was crazy! But it was also kind of awesome! I just wish it hadn’t taken so long for it all to get me out of there.

– Richard “Cheech” Marin, KNN interview, 2012

The Rodina-1 mission was riddled with issues from the start, pushing it back from its initial launch date in June. Both big and small details needed to be returned to: the safety locks, the decompression methods, the landing specifics, they all had to be redesigned as tests suggested they would break off or burn up during the travel, or it would kill the cosmonauts inside. We did not want a repeat of the 1971 Soyuz 7K-T tragedy. The rocket itself also needed to be redesigned and readjusted to match the landing pod after an initially rushed job.

[snip]

On December 3, I joined Vladimir Komarov and Vladimir Chelomey at Star City to witness the culmination of years of work – the launching of the Rodina-1 to the moon!

The landing location was essential, as we needed a surface smooth enough to cover any human errors we may have overlooked. Americans have a great term we, after so many failures due to oversights, were starting to use ourselves: “better safe than sorry.” As John Glenn would later tell me, the Rodina-1’s landing in the Taurus-Littrow Valley had NASA nervous, as the cosmonauts could conceivably visit the site of a previous Apollo landing, which they estimated would take 90 minutes to walk to, and 40 minutes for the unmanned Lunakhod 2 lunar rover to reach. I laughed at the thought, because the mission was to conduct research of our own, not the salvage another nation’s vessels like some sort of lunar vultures.

The real focus never really was on the location, anyhow. Instead, viewers in America, the Soviet Union, and the world over paid attention to the crew: 40-year-old Oleg Makarov and 36-year-old Irina Solovyova. Solobyova was world champion parachutist before being recruited into the USSR’s Female Group cosmonaut training program in the 1960s, who joined Makarov in the landing pod while 38-year-old Georgy Shonin remained in orbit. On December 7, after a successful touchdown, Makarov became the first Soviet to step foot on the moon, and Solovyova became the second Soviet and very first female to step foot on the Earth lunar satellite.

Of course, America’s press could not uphold their First Amendment if they stayed silent on another nation making it to the moon, so the Big Four – ABC, NBC, CBS, and Overmyer – covered the event and it was published in their newspapers. But they ensured people remembered that they had gotten there first, and had return thrice since.

Of course, some newspapers downplayed it with headlines like “Soviets Get to Moon Four Years Too Late,” or printed small articles that were not put on the front page. NASA really downplayed it, and some broadcasts tried to trivialize the milestone. It was understandable. They had done the same thing with Sputnik and I, and the Pravda did the same thing with Apollo 10.

But the fact remained that the Soviet Unions had proven to the world that they were still a major player in space. This got to many in Washington, D.C. to worry that the space race was still far from being over.

Among the Stars: The Autobiography of Yuri Gagarin, 1995

JIM CROCE RETIRES FROM MUSIC!

Bryn Mawr, PA – In a shocking announcement, musician Jim Croce has announced that he is retiring from the music industry [15]. The announcement comes just weeks after completing his extensive “Life and Times” tour while also creating new songs for an album, which is still set to be released next year. The revelation that this will be Croce’s last album comes as a surprise to many fans and supporters of a young musician many see as being at the height of his popularity.

Croce, 30, stated the reason for his departure from music to be of a personal nature. “I want to raise a family. My son is two years old now and I want to be there for him while he’s growing up. You can’t raise a kid on a tour, and to try to do so would be asking too much of Ingrid,” referring to his wife, Ingrid Jacobson, a musician who performed and recorded music as a duo with her husband from 1964 until her own retirement two years ago.

Croce elaborated, “I’m going to stick to writing short stories and movie scripts, but my main focus for the next several years is going to be on raising a family with love and devotion.”

Hope springs eternal for followers of the popular singer-songwriter, though, as Croce did not rule out a permanent departure from the music scene. “In time, I might make it my profession again. I guess time and my wallet will tell.”

The Hollywood Reporter, 12/12/1973

Kosygin would prove to be a very competent administrator, with the Soviet standard of living rising considerably due to his moderately reformist policy. …Kosygin attempted to revitalize the ailing economic system by decentralizing management… Historians Evan Mawdsley and Stephen White claim that conservative members of the Politburo such as Dmitri Ustinov, Leonid Brezhnev, and even Kosygin’s biggest critic, Yuri Andropov were unable to remove Kosygin because his removal would mean the loss of their capable administrator. [16] …The moon landing further cemented Kosygin’s position in the party and his popularity among the Soviet people, who for the first time since Sputnik were genuinely proud of their country’s endeavors in outer space.

– Alexander Korzhakov’s autobiography From Dawn to Dusk: A Cutthroat Career, St. Petersburg Press, 1997

“Colonel Sanders will tell you today that there is a big, big difference between being a church member and being saved. He speaks from personal experience. And no one loves the Church, regardless of denomination, better than Colonel Sanders. Those who know him best know that it is his first love, beyond even the preparation of original food. He tells his associates today, ‘There is an inner experience, a new birth that brings peace. Morality and good works cannot accomplish it. It is the work of the Holy Spirit.’

Colonel Sanders' testimony today is this. ‘You can join the church. You can serve on committees. You can be baptized and receive communion. You can become the superintendent of the Sunday school—and not be saved.
’ You need to know something deeper within your soul. And for that you need more than songs, and prayers, and church suppers. You need a personal experience with Jesus Christ." [17]

– Pastor Waymon Rodgers of the Evangel Tabernacle of Louisville, KY, Christmas service 1973

6JjhbZC.png

[pic: https://imgur.com/6JjhbZC ]
– A 1973 KFC greeting card featuring Colonel Sanders and Harley Sanders, found at a yard sale in 2002

MONDALE SIGNS COMPREHENSIVE EMPLOYMENT AND TRAINING ACT INTO LAW

The Washington Post, 12/28/1973

SUPREME COURT JUSTICE DOUGLAS TO RETIRE FROM BENCH

My ideas are way out of line with current trends, and I see no particular point in staying around and being obnoxious.” [18]

– The New York Times, 1/5/1974

We found that the new commercials featuring the Colonel were increasing sales 70%. The advertisement were noticeably differently from the ones filmed prior to the Colonel’s stay in the White House. Sanders was now more serious and dramatic, more sincere. Due to his age, he had trouble enunciating clearly and loudly at times, and so would have much on-screen time in the post-Presidency commercial. Still, the ads demonstrated that the octogenarian icon still had physical strength, agility and stamina that was impressive for a man of his age. With market studies showing positive results, production on the commercials continued on and on!

– Pete Harman, KNN interview, 2003

[vid: youtube.com/watch?v=pwURoueDzFo ]
– A popular KFC commercial, first aired 1/12/1974

…Also, tonight, the people of Finland took to the polls to determine who should serve as their President for the next six years. The incumbent President, Urho Kakkonen of the Centre Party, was elected to a fourth six-year term over Raino Westerholm of the Christian League Party. Kakkonen’s time in office has seen the continuation of his predecessor’s “active neutrality,” the establishing of the Nordic Nuclear-Free Zone, and the continuation of fair relations and trade practices with both NATO countries and Warsaw Pact countries… [19]

– BBC World News, 1/16/1974 broadcast

NEW CIVIL RIGHTS BILL IS GATHERING MOMENTUM IN HOUSE

– The Washington Post, 1/27/1974

NOTE(S)/SOURCE(S)
[1] OTL quote!
[2] This happened to Obama in 2009: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_inauguration_of_Barack_Obama#Oath_of_office
[3] Some cabinet pick explanations: Gregory Peck would have been nominated for that post if LBJ had won re-election in 1968 IOTL!: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory_Peck#Politics. IOTL, Nixon considered making Ladybird Johnson an ambassador, according to source 33 on her wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Bird_Johnson#Later_life. John Moss ends up in charge of Commerce as he chaired two subcommittees relating to Commerce IOTL, and commerce concerns the buying and selling of things such as colorful adult comics, meaning he can use the position to oversee the deregulation of censorship and improve consumer protection, which he also advocated for IOTL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_E._Moss.
[4] Italicized parts from here: https://torontoist.com/2015/12/historicist-a-finger-lickin-good-mississauga-colonel/
[5] Parts in italics are pulled from Wikipedia’s articles on the history of the modern UK.
[6] True story; this passage is a paraphrase of one found here: https://thegreatindoorsman.wordpress.com/2012/05/13/breast-man-the-life-and-career-of-colonel-harland-sanders-originally-posted-around-2000-18-2/
[7] Introduced two years earlier than in OTL: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1975/05/19/curmudgeon-ribs-chickens
[8] Jeremy Thorpe stepped down from party leadership in 1971 over a sex scandal brought about in the Ark Wave (which I may or may not have forgotten to include in one of that year’s chapters (to quote Rick Perry, “oops…”).
[9] Also, another slipup I may have made was misreading Shawwal as starting in June, either on the fifth or the seventh or so, so maybe it changes each year like Easter... If the date is inaccurate, please let me know so I can change the name of the war to the correct [holiday] (an easy fix) or change the date (a quick edit job).
[10] For the record, I’m not at all an expert of Northern Ireland politics, just the generic/basic gist of the OTL Troubles conflict, so if something’s inaccurate here, please let me know. Also, a reminder that Ian Paisley was killed in 1968 ITTL.
[11] OTL quote from Sanders’ 1966 Autobiography!
[12] All italicized part found in this intriguing and detailed source here: https://web.archive.org/web/20140423045238/http://www.armstrong.edu/Initiatives/history_journal/history_journal_west_meets_east_kfc_and_its_success_in_china
[13] Really!: https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=unBQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=QQ8EAAAAIBAJ&pg=7304,3766749
[14] Info found here: https://www.businessinsider.com/most-popular-fast-food-chain-in-china-kfc-photos-2018-4
[15] According to https://web.archive.org/web/20120807083834/https://www.jimcroce.com/articles/article-written-by-barry-weber.html and according to sources 3, 19 and 20 on his wiki page, Jim Croce (prior to his fatal OTL plane crash which is butterflied away here) really did plan on retiring from music and withdrawing from public life to focus on family, and writing stories and movie scripts!
[16] Italicized parts pulled from his Wikipedia article
[17] Passage pulled from here: fgbt.org/Testimonies/colonel-sanders-story.html
[18] OTL quote found on William O. Douglas’ wiki page.
[19] IOTL, according to Wikipedia, “on 18 January 1973, the enacting of an emergency law saw Kekkonen's presidency extended by four years;” here, the country’s in better shape, at least well enough for this to not happen, or at least fail to happen. Just some minor butterflies, that’s all…

E.T.A. of the next chapter: October 3rd!

I have a question on the 1972 Senate results. It lists "Minnesota: incumbent Walter Mondale (D) over Phil Hansen (R)". Did Mr. Mondale run for 2 positions with the expectation if he won the Presidency that the Governor of MN (Coya Knutson - D who won in 1970 per prior post) would appoint his replacement? Or did the MN Dems run another candidate for Senate?

In OTL/TTL, LBJ had TX state law amended so he could run for President and the Senate at the same time in 1960. In 1969, before Humphrey had even announced his candidacy for the 1970 Senate election, Mondale's allies in the Minnesota state legislator pushed through a law clarifying that one can run for both a Senatd seat in the state and for the Presidency concurrently. NJ recently did something similar IOTL for Booker 2020: https://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/can-you-run-for-congress-and-president-depends-on-where
Knutson is mentioned appointing her Lt Gov to be Fritz's successor in the Senate.

1) Nice update there!

2) Bye Rolf- UK art TV in the 70/80’s won’t quite be the same without you, but I think we will manage.

3) No 1972 Munich Olympics disaster- what effect on Israeli politics?

4) Bill Clinton moves to Alaska?

5) Mondale should be wary of open topped cars- esp now he is President. Even more so if he pushes his tax rises on the rich through. I hope Pres Fritz really tries to fix the tax holes the rich and corps exploit.

6) What’s Mondale’s stance on alternative energy and such given the Wind Tribune and solar panel are viable tech in the early 70’s?

7) I noticed a lot of .co.usa domains - is there no .com and the USA uses a local domain like .co.uk? Maybe the UK keeps .gb in this timeline.

8) President Colonel Sanders sounds like a great President overall.

1) Thanks!

2) Indeed!

3) I guess we'll see what happens; would Black September become more desperate or would its membership drop in light of their failure?

4) I got the idea from a post in the alternate presidents thread. I can't find the post now, but within it, the person who posted the list accidently wrote "(D-AS)" instead of "(D-AR)" after Bill Clinton's name, and someone commented jokingly something along the lines of "ah, yes, I forgot Bill Clinton was Governor of Alaska." And that got me thinking, "Hey, why not? Moving there seemed to work out well for Mike Gravel, so why not Ol' Slick Willy, too?!" :)

5) We'll see!

6) As this very long article points out: https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2000/03/prodigal-sun/ , solar energy was a popular notion in the 1970s. Mondale campaigned on jobs and protecting workers, so he could see him supporting it if it is beneficial to the workforce, but his dismissal of solar energy in the article suggests he would not make it a passion project. Either way, he would most likely want the industry to be regulated.

7) I usually add ".uk" to the UK websites; as ".com" is short for "commercial," here they just shortened it by one more letter.

8) Thanks!

Bye, bye Rolf; no one will miss you, just like Savile...

I concur.

I'd describe him as what Compassionate Conservatism ought to be: a belief in traditional values, tempered with empathy and respect toward change.

Great analysis!

Much as my luck may be, I come in to an amazing timeline at the brunt end of the focus of the Colonel's Presidency. I do hope you plan to continue on with this timeline (especially noting on the fate of KFC as a Sanders family-owned public company and even the long-term effects of his Presidency and the political sphere).

If anything, I have no doubt my late maternal grandmother (whom had a hatred for LBJ like no other, even when living out on base with my late grandfather) would have voted for the Colonel happily.

We'll see how things go in regards to continuing the TL. I do want to cover how the Sanders Presidency affects things in the long-term, so, yeah, we'll see how things go...

And The Colonel would have greatly appreciated her vote!

Happy for Mondale Win. Hope TL continues. High expectation for greater regulations.

Thank you!

Glad you're happy that Fritz won.

You're very welcome! :)

Last edited:

sprite

Donor
Big fan, hoping for an Australian nod at one point. We are after all the home of Red Rooster, Chicken Treat, Oporto and Chooks Fresh and Tasty.