Crisis in the Kremlin vs. Ostalgie vs. Mao's Legacy

So, I just got Ostalgie on sale, but I'm not sure what the gameplay differences are between the three games.

I first heard Ostalgie was easier and more relaxed, but then I heard it was harder than CitK, and now there's Mao's Legacy as well, and I know nothing about that.

Which is the best to start with, and what are the differences in the games besides setting/time period?

I haven’t played the other two but I quite like Mao’s Legacy so far - it’s got a nice series of events and lots of potential to influence international events.

What kinds of things can you do to influence other nations?

Well, you can do a lot of alt-history stuff depending on what path you follow like rapprochement with the USSR, supporting the Naxalites in India, causing a Maoist revolution in Thailand, keeping Pol Pot afloat, conquer Taiwan, build influence in the Middle East, change the outcome of the Iranian Revolution, influence Soviet domestic politics, etc. There are many events later game I haven't gotten to yet - my penchant for trying to eliminate Deng Xiaoping usually results in a rough game for me and I'm not skilled enough to keep the Conservative Maoist coalition afloat while balancing moderate reforms yet.