WI: The Americans Imported the Hippos Into the Mississipi?

In short, in 1910 America had a meat crisis, in that there wasn't enough for the growing population. Some people, including notable adventurers, came with the idea of bringing hippos to ranch and also control the hyacinth plant issue.

What would happen if this occurred? Would people died from hippos creating a greater danger in the water?

Teddy Roosevelt apparently supported the plan because his adventurer buddies were advocating it. Let's say this happens and the hippos are too difficult to farm, killing people. Could this affect the 1912 election?

Could they be farmed though? Has anyone tried a hippo burger?
No one is trying in Africa, so I think that speaks to the potential.

Teddy Roosevelt apparently supported the plan because his adventurer buddies were advocating it. Let's say this happens and the hippos are too difficult to farm, killing people. Could this affect the 1912 election?

No one is trying in Africa, so I think that speaks to the potential.

Hippos would be very difficult to farm. They're extremely aggressive and territorial, and their huge size and strong hides make taking down a charging hippo difficult. Their long lifespans, long gestation periods and expensive upkeep are problems as well. A hippo farmer would likely need some sort of protected tractor and an elephant gun at all times.

Comedy option: In captivity, get the American hippos accustomed to eating kudzu before releasing them into the wild. Then, at least one problem has some progress is made. That, or you have giant angry hippos with a never-ending supply of nature's super weed to fortify them.

Comedy option: In captivity, get the American hippos accustomed to eating kudzu before releasing them into the wild. Then, at least one problem has some progress is made. That, or you have giant angry hippos with a never-ending supply of nature's super weed to fortify them.

Mass death scenario. Hippos become the dominate life form in the Americas

Why do I picture Gators and Hippo's fighting it out in the delta
You're probably picturing hippos fighting crocodiles, which they already do.

And it ends badly for the crocodiles generally. They can only take on baby hippos (If very brave or stupid), or heavily weakened hippos.

crochippo5.png

In short, in 1910 America had a meat crisis, in that there wasn't enough for the growing population. Some people, including notable adventurers, came with the idea of bringing hippos to ranch and also control the hyacinth plant issue.

What would happen if this occurred? Would people died from hippos creating a greater danger in the water?
Teddy Rossevelt would have had a field day.

this scenario (sorta) was the basis of a (bad) AH novel, River of Teeth. Although the hippo release was pre-ACW. The novel pictures them as being both feral and confined to a short stretch of swamp land, and domesticated throughout the south (that is debatable at the least)…

hammo1j

Donor
Genius! By now the Mississippi would be famous for the Hippo tour.

Hat's off to something I could never have conceived!

I thought Kudzu was only introduced in the 1950s as a quick growing ground cover along highway projects.
Just did some checking. It was introduced to the U.S> as an ornamental at the Centennial Exhibition of 1876. Used as a cover crop in the early 20th century and used by the CCC to help mitigate soil erosion in the Dust Bowl in the 30s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudzu_in_the_United_States

Last edited: