Status
Not open for further replies.
Swallowtail Scandinavian Flag:

QIPwOCQ.gif

(I thought about removing the seams from the flags, but changed my mind, as I wanted to show clues on how the flags were designed.)

The Empire of North America

leAnDci.png

Though from our perspective this flag has strong Canadian and American features alike, it actually came about from the Union flag of Britain. This is the flag used as the Imperial Navy Jack and the main flag on land.

Square flag of the Empire of North America

Zfz4QDW.gif

This is used primarily by the Imperial Marines as their battle flag on land, keeping the 1:1 proportions typical of army flags in Anglophone countries, and flown also by each Realm's army as well in war.

My philosophy on flags begins with this question: Why have flags? My answer is that a flag is meant to be seen, especially on the battlefield, to show the identity of its bearer. In order to do this, a good flag is at once simple and distinct. It should be able to tell a story in miniature without even saying a word.

Bad flags, like the old Libyan green flag or the various blue US state flags, are not distinct or simple, respectively. Good flags though, like New Mexico’s or Jamaica’s, are both.

The Realm of Oregon

image001-gif.89498

Founded in 1801 by British “loyal radicals,” the Oregon Colony stretched “from the Pacific to the Great Divide” and served as a bulwark against the Spanish and the Russians, while at the same time was seen by Britons as an acceptable political laboratory, far removed from the Motherland. It has a large Welsh and Scots influence, evident by the green and blue, as well as the obvious English. After the Rocky Mountain War, Oregon was ceded to the Empire of North America but was made into a full Realm, the only one that was not a British Dominion beforehand.

Lacustria, ugh Lacustria...

nlVTiRA.gif

The Confederated Realm of Lacustria and Lacota, in full, dominates the heartland of North America, the breadbasket and iron belt of the Empire. Stretching east from the Continental Divide to the Appalacians, from Illinois to Hudson Bay, it is by far the largest Realm, both by area and population.

Last edited:

Dorozhand

Banned
My philosophy on flags begins with this question: Why have flags? My answer is that a flag is meant to be seen, especially on the battlefield, to show the identity of its bearer. In order to do this, a good flag is at once simple and distinct. It should be able to tell a story in miniature without even saying a word.

Bad flags, like the old Libyan green flag or the various blue US state flags, are not distinct or simple, respectively. Good flags though, like New Mexico’s or Jamaica’s, are both.

Personally, I don't mind flags that indulge in complex designs or many colors as long as the large elements are recognizable from a distance. The flags of New York City, Dominica, Belarus, Austria-Hungary, Comoros, Joseon, Qing, Yukon, Tibet, Yellowknife, the Buddhist religion, the CAR, Mexico, or the Bolivian Wiphala are good examples. Mozambique has one of my favorite flags in the world, and Bhutan, Brunei, and Venice are really complicated but really cool and distinctive from a distance, I would argue. They may be complex or colorful, but they are still very recognizable. I also admit that I really like the flag of Turkmenistan.

There are many different aesthetic philosophies, color theories, symbolic systems and values in flags as well. For example, the plain green flag of the Jamahiriya was the flag used by the Fatimid Caliphate, directly calling up the image of an Islamic golden age and a pan-North African idea. It's both meaningful and recognizable in the same way as the plain black flag of Anarchism.

Poor Welsh don't get any representation on current union jack so decided to fix that by adding in the yellow of st David's cross, also st Patrick's saltire is kinda meh for Northern Ireland and everyone likes the red hand so replaced with that instead.

alternative union jack.png

Poor Welsh don't get any representation on current union jack so decided to fix that by adding in the yellow of st David's cross, also st Patrick's saltire is kinda meh for Northern Ireland and everyone likes the red hand so replaced with that instead.

View attachment 486007
1) St David's cross has no relevance as a national symbol of Wales.
2) The red saltire was added for All Ireland and while obviously made up fits better than the red hand.

This is an alternate flag of Trinidad and Tobago, in a TL where Jamaat al Muslimeen took successfully the power after a coup d'etat in the country in 1990:

1567805558-drapeau.png

Status
Not open for further replies.