Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
ddfix88-c2930d28-de53-49a7-8a16-10a145f54a49.jpg

Here is a Map I've made of creepy american naton, its weird and overtly masonic.
Map shows the metropol of the third american republic. The plan was originaly for there to be a series of maps on the whole of the country's empire including overseas territories though I'm not sure I'll complete them all.
I kinda prefer my maps to be odd standalone snippets from alternate worlds and like the idea of speculation on how and why all the details came to be. To this end I don't really like attaching long write ups to my maps, but I'm happy to outline a rough sketch of the timeline if there is interest. I usually create low quality world maps to go with these for personal reference and to keep track of the situation.

*Seals that have been used here are not all my own work, some of the seals are my own, some edited, and other just stolen or repurposed.*

[link to deviantart version incase interested: https://www.deviantart.com/qazdr6/art/American-Third-Republic-812137400?ga_submit_new=10:1567627028]

Steals for my personal AH map collection.

Awesome, really great map! The layout really works well, and so does the style.

If i had one suggestion, it's to smoothen the topography, i don't know how you did it exactly but i'd suggest either tracing, or doing the topography with a GIS software using GMTED data. But really it's nitpicking.

Also WTF is that district of Columbia, it's weird, i'd love to see the lore behind the districts.

Also how does it have Hispaniola, but not Ohio, which makes more sense from an economic or accessibility perspective?

Last edited:
ddfix88-c2930d28-de53-49a7-8a16-10a145f54a49.jpg

Here is a Map I've made of creepy american naton, its weird and overtly masonic.
Map shows the metropol of the third american republic. The plan was originaly for there to be a series of maps on the whole of the country's empire including overseas territories though I'm not sure I'll complete them all.
I kinda prefer my maps to be odd standalone snippets from alternate worlds and like the idea of speculation on how and why all the details came to be. To this end I don't really like attaching long write ups to my maps, but I'm happy to outline a rough sketch of the timeline if there is interest. I usually create low quality world maps to go with these for personal reference and to keep track of the situation.

*Seals that have been used here are not all my own work, some of the seals are my own, some edited, and other just stolen or repurposed.*

[link to deviantart version incase interested: https://www.deviantart.com/qazdr6/art/American-Third-Republic-812137400?ga_submit_new=10:1567627028]
How the hell did Plymouth become the capital of the country?

Holy hell, man. Teach me your ways. These maps are amazing! What program do you use?
I use Photoshop, I know it quite well because I used it a lot before I started making maps. Other than that I watched a few tutorials on making ah maps to get a good idea of it.

I use Photoshop, I know it quite well because I used it a lot before I started making maps. Other than that I watched a few tutorials on making ah maps to get a good idea of it.
Could you perhaps point me in the direction of some of those (hopefully good) tutorials, if it's not too much trouble? I'd really like to graduate from the 3D Paint school of AH mapmaking.

How the hell did Plymouth become the capital of the country?
Rev War last well into the early 1790's and causes serious tensions between the war wearying States and nearly causes the nation to break up after wars end. Nation was saved by a brief Washington dictatorship under which the decision was made to move the executive away from the legislature to keep it more neutral and focused on the national interest. Was accompanied by an increase in the executives power in general, though it was humiliating when Washington moved away from the capital that bore his name. Regular republican government was restored after his resignation. Plymouth was finally chosen because of its status as the oldest English settlement in the country and distance from Washington.

Last edited:
Steals for my personal AH map collection.

Awesome, really great map! The layout really works well, and so does the style.

If i had one suggestion, it's to smoothen the topography, i don't know how you did it exactly but i'd suggest either tracing, or doing the topography with a GIS software using GMTED data. But really it's nitpicking.

Also WTF is that district of Columbia, it's weird, i'd love to see the lore behind the districts.

First of all, thanks, and tbh I agree with your suggestion but I was spending too much time fiddling with it as it is, however, many lessons identified and I should do it a bit better next time.

On the districts, in the case of columbia and the case of Liberty, they basically track the movement of the executive in its attempts to become more independent of the squabbling states so it could focus on the national interest. the executive was moved first to lewes and DC was extended to encompas the legislature in washington and the location of the executive. it was however moved again for the same reason, this time to plymouth, and the district of liberty created around it. in 1866 there were a number of radicals who had successfully seized the Governments in Delaware, New Jersey and New York and were in rebellion, that and a number of other political crisis caused the fall of the second republic and the creation of the third in 1868. The districts of Adams and St John were created out of the military occupation of the states. districts do not have any legal autonomy from the federal government but have local councils which to the day to day governing of the districts

Last edited:
Wait New Jersey is District of Adams and area around NYC is district of St. Johns? Small black republics (I am assuming) are an interesting touch. However I haven't managed to understand what subdivision the Carribbean territories are in. By the way what year is the map set in?
Edit: just realized Delaware doesn't exist as an independent entity in this map.
Edit2: huh just realized what the stars on the flag symbolise. Weirdly specific design on ther part but cool. Then again stars in the OTL Brazilian flag is also weirdly specific.
I Imagine the map to be created in TTL's 1980's and depict the third republic in 1945 at its territorial height.

Modernization 1914: The Proud Tower

The second installation in the Modernization series, in which various years from throughout history are "modernized," featuring the year 1914.

- The United States is viewed similarly to OTL's modern China in that everyone is anticipating that it'll be the next great global superpower. It's actually pretty similar to OTL 2019's USA, save for all the 1914 politicians (though their political beliefs have been "modernized"), though it's a little more left-wing thanks to no Cold War against communism (communism is a comparatively new ideology and nobody's had the opportunity to try it out yet outside of a few small-scale projects) and the Civil War having been to abolish segregation instead of slavery. (Corporations used to have quite a bit of influence in government, but President Roosevelt helped break up the especially big companies and crippled corporate power in America.)
- Europe is a backwards, divided powderkeg full of dictatorships, and even in states that claim to be democratic like Britain and France, the only options are some variation of Christian right-wing. Europe's days of global domination are long gone, and many fear that a massive war will break out in Europe and cause a global war, which has been unheard of before- the closest thing to a "global war" was the international coalition that assembled to take down Napoleon, and nukes hadn't been developed yet then.
- Britain is a major power no longer, having given up the last of its colonies decades ago, save a few minor ones like Newfoundland and the Gambia. Its current major problem is Ireland, which it fears will erupt into revolution soon, and though the British have tried to suppress Irish dissent, the Irish have been using the internet to organize protests both peaceful and violent anyway. Ironically, Britain is increasingly influenced by India these days, even though the British tried to set it up so that they'd retain some modicum of control when they were retreating from their parts of India back in the 1850s.
- France is actually making an effort to be democratic, but its politics are heavily influenced by religion and there's only one party that's vaguely to the left of center. France is still extremely bitter about the loss of Alsace-Lorraine several decades ago, and French television and news websites (which are almost always government-controlled) are constantly showing pictures of "good French men and women suffering under the German yoke" in Alsace-Lorraine.
- Germany is very similar to OTL modern Iran, but with an elaborate cult of personality around the Kaiser and neocolonialism in Africa.
- Serbia is an Orthodox theocracy. It's also a totalitarian rogue state backed by Russia and is currently pursuing a nuclear weapons program.
- The Russian Confederation is a corrupt oligarchy under the control of Vozhd Nikolai Aleksandrovich that isn't all that different from OTL's modern Russia in terms of how it's run. Though Russia is rather poor, it's trying to claw its way up to being a great power and for some reason thinks that helping Serbia's nuclear program is an excellent way to achieve that goal more quickly.
- About two-thirds of Africa has joined the post-colonial African Union, which is much like OTL's EU except that most of the members are flawed democracies or dictatorships and most of the time it ends up being a "Let's Talk About How Much We Hate Europe" club. The economic aid for the less well-off members is an added perk, and some speculate that a united African Union could be a major global power.
- Tanganyika is a right-wing one-party state and is a regional power in Africa aligned with Germany, though some members of the ruling party have been growing increasingly sympathetic to Bharat.
- South Africa is an unapologetic apartheid state and has aligned with its fellow white supremacist regimes in Algeria, Batavia, Kaiser Wilhelm Land, and Indochina. The international community is divided on how it views them, with the Bharati bloc seeing them as rogue states and the European Alliance not really caring what they do as long as they don't interfere with their plans.
- The Ottoman Empire used to be a rich regional power thanks to oil, but Arab secessionist movements, incursions by the scattered nations of the Arabian peninsula, the recent collapse of the Republic of the Empty Quarter, and the declining oil market as green power becomes increasingly prevalent have brought it down a few notches.
- Bharat is an independent democratic state (albeit with the white ruling class still having disproportionate influence in the southern parts that were formerly owned by Britain) and looks to be the great global superpower with the ongoing collapse of China. It's taken much of Britain's former colonial empire under its wing, though it's ironically ended up starting neocolonialism in many of them. Though Bharat is left-leaning, it also has a lot of institutionalized Islamophobia- Muslims who leave Pakistan and Bengal tend to have a lot of trouble getting anywhere in Bharati society, which has led to many Muslims leaving Bharat for the Middle East and secessionist movements in the majority-Muslim parts of the country.
- China was once a global superpower, but after a string of increasingly incompetent populist leaders gradually ran the country into the ground, it's slowly starting to crumble. Several revolutions have started across the country, almost all of them backed by one of the various global powers.
- Japan is trying to make itself a future superpower and has started by stealing Taiwan from China when nobody was looking and turning Korea into an economic colony. It's a dominant-party right-wing state, and while nobody really thinks any of its "Greater Co-Prosperity Sphere" bullshit has any chance of actually working, who knows?
- Anarchism is the ideology that's currently "hip" and "cool" with edgy teenagers on the internet, though underground communist movements have been gaining popularity in Russia.
- Technology is pretty much the same as OTL 2019, including nuclear technology (though nukes have never actually been used in a war yet), though it has a distinct 1910s aesthetic.

Modernization 1914- The Proud Tower.png

As a beginner, I just use Microsoft Paint and GIMP 2.10. Is that okay?
well I gotta say I don't know, I have never used either for map making. I have used gimp for some horrific digital art i did in highschool but I'm pretty confident in saying that it is used for video mapping and also for creating maps for d'd and other RPG's.

upload_2019-9-4_22-38-9.png
upload_2019-9-4_22-38-16.png
upload_2019-9-4_22-38-26.png

The Three Russia's

With the launch of the Great Troubles in the 1920s and the beginning of the American Warlord Era (1926-1948)
the eventual powerhouse of the Bolsheviks would proceed to re-take all of Russia, with the except of the Southern Russia Company, whom of which won battle after battle against bolshevik forces, due to this a Caucasian Russian government would be formed. Kolchak's Provisional Government on the other hand took advantage of the terrors of the American Warlord Era, and sent 100,000 men, 25,000 tonnes of coal and the corpse of the Russian Baltic Fleet & The Siberian Fleet to launch a full-scale invasion over Alaska. With this the Kolchak government, as he is widely known as a Naval admiral placed a all-out defensive over from the Aleutian islands. Then, with the government's amazement they struck oil in the northern regions of Alaska, as they'd proceed to buy and use slave labor against the natives and Americans to form new regiments to possibly regain the Motherland. This however caused multiple swaths of Rebellion after rebellion and revolt after revolt, leading to the "Native Peace Front" in the northeastern regions of Alaska, and the "Kodiak Peasant's Republic" which is effectively just a Communist American holding.

Rev War last well into the early 1790's and causes serious tensions between the war wearying States and nearly causes the nation to break up after wars end. Nation was saved by a brief Washington dictatorship under which the decision was made to move the executive away from the legislature to keep it more neutral and focused on the national interest. Was accompanied by an increase in the executives power in general, though it was humiliating when Washington moved away from the capital that bore his name. Regular republican government was restored after his resignation. Plymouth was finally chosen because of its status as the oldest English settlement in the country and distance from Washington.
Oldest Ra mining settlement. Jamestown came first, but it had been burned to the ground almost a century before, so would be out of the running. That, and Plymouth might be nicer to live in. On a side note, are Lynchburg and Blackburg down in Virginia that close in real life? Seems like one of those things we only like to touch on here with an eleven foot pole.

Status
Not open for further replies.