Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the idea of a democratic Russia forcing certain political elements to flee to Alaska could be quite a fresh take on the theme. Since Russia hasn't ever really had democracy as we know it, the emergence of whatever system they use to organise it could alienate a Russian politic faction equally in favour of democracy but extremely alienated by the methods to declare a rival government abroad?
That actually sounds really good. I could think that it could be two rival russian parties, persay kolchak flees to alaska and Kornilov takes mainland russia into a military dictatorship like government.

With mentions of "the Fall", "The Angrezi Times" and the devil worship, I'm pretty sure this is a fanfic of The Peshawar Lancers.

TL;DR: Earth is struck by a meteor shower in 1878; the resulting global dust cloud causes a nuclear winter, forcing European powers to evacuate to their colonies as civilisation collapses in Europe and North America and hundreds of millions starve from crop failure. By 2025, the premier world power is the Delhi-ruled Angrezi Raj, composed of three Viceroyalties (India, Australia and the Cape) as well as territorial claims in barely-recolonised Britain and North America.

The_Peshawar_Lancers_Map.PNG
Fun fact: that map being used on Wikipedia is actually one of @B_Munro 's, from way back in Map Thread III:

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/map-thread-iii.71542/page-71#post-1338785

It was posted in 2007, and uploaded onto Wikipedia in 2008.

With mentions of "the Fall", "The Angrezi Times" and the devil worship, I'm pretty sure this is a fanfic of The Peshawar Lancers.

TL;DR: Earth is struck by a meteor shower in 1878; the resulting global dust cloud causes a nuclear winter, forcing European powers to evacuate to their colonies as civilisation collapses in Europe and North America and hundreds of millions starve from crop failure. By 2025, the premier world power is the Delhi-ruled Angrezi Raj, composed of three Viceroyalties (India, Australia and the Cape) as well as territorial claims in barely-recolonised Britain and North America.

The_Peshawar_Lancers_Map.PNG
So, why'd the United States and Mexico just collapse? Seeing those two be forced to unite to survive (or, more likely, seeing the US invade and annex all of Mexico and Central America) would be dope. And I question the ability of Japan to control all of China, even in a post-apocalyptic scenario.

So, why'd the United States and Mexico just collapse? Seeing those two be forced to unite to survive (or, more likely, seeing the US invade and annex all of Mexico and Central America) would be dope. And I question the ability of Japan to control all of China, even in a post-apocalyptic scenario.

Because SM Stirling doesn't like America.

As for Japan and China, my understanding was that Japan conquered just a small area and gradually expanded it. The fact that the Japanese Imperial Family has apparently started to undergo the usual fate of all foreign Chinese dynasties helped.

Because it's SM Sterling novel.

See also: The Change series.

Everything East of the Rockies either dies or turns into raving cannibals within a year while everything west tosses aside 250 years of republican tradition in favor of monarchies ruled by Wiccans and LARPers.

meanwhile The British Empire rules all of Western Europe and is setting up shop on the Eastern Seaboard.

Sterling as the patron saint of the Ameri-screw.

So, why'd the United States and Mexico just collapse?
Maybe its make sense...
With eastern shores and northwest destroyed, could 1870s USA really survive? How was southeast doing, after civil war? And what about west, facing harsher and harsher climate, and without any support from east (and with angry natives still not completely subjugated)

Maybe its make sense...
With eastern shores and northwest destroyed, could 1870s USA really survive? How was southeast doing, after civil war? And what about west, facing harsher and harsher climate, and without any support from east (and with angry natives still not completely subjugated)
I don't think the US would have flourished, or anything, but I've got confidence in its ability to at least survive, same for Mexico. And I may just be a suffering optimist, but I think that in an apocalyptic scenario the whites, Hispanics, and Indians of the Southwest would have been able to band together to rough it out, at the very least.

Also, why would the British Empire ever relocate to India? Even here, one of its white dominions, Australia (technically not a Dominion yet, but still), is alive and kicking. Why didn't Queen Victoria just move to Sydney, or Melbourne, or more likely Brisbane since it's closer to the equator than either of those other choices? Seems like Stirling needs to think about his scenarios more.

@HeX Would it be THAT apocalyptic scenario for Mexicans and south-west Indians? I doubt it, especially for the latter it seems more natural in my opinion to use situation against whites (even if in longer term they probably couldn´t win...?)
With India I completelly agree, but rule of cool is strong here British Raj-wank is da best wank :D

By the year 2203,
Wooow, thats great! I had some time back idea of some post-apocalyptic civilization based on LotR and other JRRT works surviving "apocalypse" as some sort of religious scriptures but this, this is much, much more awesome (and better thought)

@Cool-Eh I feel that for a proper Axis victory map you should have a Vatican City, as well as them having other cities under their control. Nazerath, Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Avignon, Mecca... You know, to keep the cities from being politicized.

Roosevelt 1912 - Iserlohn.png

A rather simple scenario where instead of Taft and Roosevelt splitting the Republican voter base, the Republicans end up nominating Teddy for president in 1912 instead of Taft, thus leading to Roosevelt beating Woodrow Wilson in the 1912 Presidential Election.

World War One still breaks out, however Roosevelt ends up joining the war in late 1915, thus resulting in a quicker end to the war. With the war ending earlier and thus Entente troops being less exhausted, the Russian Civil War is won by the Entente-supported Whites, though certain border areas still break away (and the governments of the Caucasus are dominated by a fragile coalition of nationalists and left-wingers).

The peace in Europe is somewhat harsher towards Germany, with no Wilson to moderate French revanchism, and also the League of Nations isn't founded, but rather a Wilson-inspired organization known as the Concert of Europe (after the old romantic euphemism for the Pentarchy of the first half of the 19th century) gets founded in its place. While not as global as the League, it functions in virtually the same way, trying to negotatiate disputes on the Old Continent and to prevent future aggression by the former Central Powers.

However rising tensions between Russia and the Polish-led Prometheist Bloc, as well as rumors of alliance talks between Berlin and Moscow are worrying the statesmen of France and Britain... Will the 1930s be about as peaceful as the 1920s were, or will Europe once again experience the horrors of war, not even 20 years after the end of the previous big conflict..?

I don't think the US would have flourished, or anything, but I've got confidence in its ability to at least survive, same for Mexico. And I may just be a suffering optimist, but I think that in an apocalyptic scenario the whites, Hispanics, and Indians of the Southwest would have been able to band together to rough it out, at the very least.

Also, why would the British Empire ever relocate to India? Even here, one of its white dominions, Australia (technically not a Dominion yet, but still), is alive and kicking. Why didn't Queen Victoria just move to Sydney, or Melbourne, or more likely Brisbane since it's closer to the equator than either of those other choices? Seems like Stirling needs to think about his scenarios more.
I suggest that perhaps you can redo the scenario. It'd be interesting and really neat to see how the lore has change and how the world would look with the changes you've suggested.

Roosevelt ends up joining the war in late 1915
Why, since Wilson wasn’t in power? It’s a European war. No one wanted any part of it. Most Americans supported Germany, having just come from there in the last few generations. Teddy MIGHT have intervened in Russia to stop the commies, and there he would have been successful. Now that’s an interesting idea.

Maybe its make sense...

Even if the Federal Government got wiped out, that's not going to wipe out, say, Arkansas. Or Mississippi. Or Texas. And California collapsing into "wierdly theocratic city states" never made sense. There should at least be surviving state governments all over the place.

And the climate-shift plus tsunami shouldn't be enough to collapse Mexico, even if the tsunami could reach the coast.

Next you'll be telling me you aren't possessed by a world-depopulating, cannibalistic hunger whenever you don't have electricity or running water.
Humans: Turn to cannibalism immediately once it gets too cold outside.

Also Humans: Surived for a thousand years on the British Isles during the last Great Ice Age as hunter-gatherer societies.

Next you'll be telling me you aren't possessed by a world-depopulating, cannibalistic hunger whenever you don't have electricity or running water.
I suppose the vegetarianism of a good amount of Indians would explain why I think was deemed a good idea to go there. That, and there were plenty of poor people, to make up for how the poor and lower-middle classes were left behind in order to bring artwork and steam engines to India. That, and the wealthy do so enjoy their legroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.