The Queen is Dead!: Katherine of Aragon dies in 1518

With Katherine of Aragon beign "out of the picture" so early, I expect that ironically, there is no chance for Anne Boleyn to play any bigger role in a history. At best she could be just one of the many mistress. It's almost certain that Henry would search for a new, more traditional (read dyplomatic ) marriage somewhere around 1520. There is no reason to worry here about Pope and Emperor, so it's very King of England could expect a lot of potential candidates. Also, Mary's legitimiacy would be never questionet, so her entire early life would be much happier. Plus she would be propably marry relatively early.

VVD0D95

Banned
With Katherine of Aragon beign "out of the picture" so early, I expect that ironically, there is no chance for Anne Boleyn to play any bigger role in a history. At best she could be just one of the many mistress. It's almost certain that Henry would search for a new, more traditional (read dyplomatic ) marriage somewhere around 1520. There is no reason to worry here about Pope and Emperor, so it's very King of England could expect a lot of potential candidates. Also, Mary's legitimiacy would be never questionet, so her entire early life would be much happier. Plus she would be propably marry relatively early.

Tbf, Henry's married to Mary Boleyn here, and as such doesn't seem have had a mistress as of yet since his marriage....

Section LXXI - May 1521
Richmond, May 1521
Just because Henry had named Thomas Boleyn godfather to Lionel didn’t mean he wasn’t still angry with him, however. Had he not been angry, he would have told him the news about his being made Lord Lieutenant of Ireland to his face. As it was, however, he left that unpleasant task to Brandon.

Had Henry done it himself, Thomas would have been forced to restrain his anger. However, there were no laws that made it treason to shout at the Duke of Suffolk

“No! It’s impossible! I can’t be being asked to go to Dublin!”

“How else do you imagine you shall be able to rule Ireland in the King’s stead? It would, unfortunately, be rather difficult to do so from London.”

“But I’m Prince Lionel’s godfather! Surely I should be on hand to run his household, set him an example?”

“His Highness has not yet been granted a household of his own, Lord Ormonde. For the moment, Their Majesties are content that the Prince should share a household with his sister the Princess Mary. Nonetheless, you may rest assured that when they do grant His Highness a household of his own, I shall inform them of your interest in running it.”

Brandon’s voice was silky smooth. Thomas began to fear he was beaten, yet he persisted.

“My daughter! The Queen! She’ll never allow this! She’s just been brought to bed of a child; she’ll want her family around her now.”

“On the contrary. Her Majesty is in complete agreement with the King. She believes sending you to Dublin is a very good idea. After all, who better to set the Prince in how to obey the King and defend the realm than his own grandfather? That is what you claim to want to do, is it not? Set the Prince an example?”

When Brandon turned his own words back on him so easily, Thomas knew he had lost. He pounded the table in fury, then clicked his fingers for a servant.

“Show His Grace out,” he ordered through gritted teeth, “Show him out, then inform the Countess she’d better start packing. We leave for Dublin within the week.”

“Oh, I do apologise, Lord Ormonde,” Brandon interrupted, “Did I not make it clear? Your family will be remaining here at Court. After all, as a newly-delivered mother, the Queen needs her family around her. The King did not see fit to deprive her of them all. You will be travelling to Dublin alone.”

With that parting shot, Brandon turned and left the room in a swish of black velvet.

Yes, it was originally Wolsey who does this, but then I sent him North, so it had to be Brandon, which worked just as well. Wolsey will return, however. The joy of having a son is making Henry forgiving...

Wonder how would be able to win again the Royal grace if this is his objective. I wonder also how he would feel due to his failed schemes, to have reallowed England to regain Normandy...

Wonder how would be able to win again the Royal grace if this is his objective. I wonder also how he would feel due to his failed schemes, to have reallowed England to regain Normandy...

Oh, he'll never be as trusted. But he is a very good administrator and Henry's feeling magnanimous after Lionel's birth. He'll be back at Court at least by the spring of 1523 - which is the next time I have written him into this TL.

Section LXXII - May 1521
Richmond, May 1521
“What can I do for you, gentlemen?” Henry asked, looking up in slight surprise when both the Earl of Shrewsbury and the Earl of Northumberland entered his private audience chamber.

“Well, Your Majesty,” The Earl of Shrewsbury began, “Lord Northumberland and I have been thinking.”

“Indeed? And what have you been thinking?” Henry bit back a sigh as he spoke, attempting to sound interested. He’d almost been done with petitions; almost been free to go and spend time with Marie and the children. And now these garrulous fools had come to delay him. This had better be worth his while.

“If we are to hold the Scottish off more permanently than we already have, then there must to be a stronger alliance among the Northern Lords.”

“Then see to it. It is your duty as England’s northern earls; her first line of defence against the barbarous Scots.”

“That is why we are here today, Your Majesty,” Finally sensing how impatient the King was becoming, the Earl of Northumberland cut to the chase, “We would like to ask for your blessing upon a prospective union between my son Henry and Lord Shrewsbury’s eldest daughter Lady Mary.”

Henry jolted. He’d known for a while that this union was on the cards. Indeed, he’d even thought it was a good idea at one time, but things were different now. This union could not be allowed to go ahead. He’d seen for himself how much the Percy boy cared for Marie’s sister. To prevent him from having the chance to marry her, just for the sake of a Northern alliance; Henry couldn’t do it. Having been lucky enough to marry for love not just once, but twice, he couldn’t begrudge his little sister and the Percy boy that chance, not when their match was as sound a one as the one being suggested today.

Yet he couldn’t deny these lords outright, not without a possible match for the Talbot girl to sweeten the blow. He needed her father too much for that. Not to mention that the Talbots had served his family well for years.

“This is a plausible and indeed sensible match,” he said at last, wishing, not for the first time that Cata was back at his side. She’d always been better at the matrimonial side of politics than he had. Before he could go any further, the joy leaped in the Earls’ faces.

“Do we have your permission to go ahead with the betrothal then, Sire?” George Talbot asked. Henry held up a hand, shaking his head.

“Not yet. Lady Mary is in my wife’s household, after all. I must speak to her first. Do nothing until I have told you I have spoken to her. Is that clear?”

“Yes, Sire,” the two men bowed.

“In that case, leave me be,” Henry waved them both away, barely waiting for them to leave before he strode out of another door to go and visit his wife.