Medieval America Mark III

tehskyman

Banned
Its a little of both, but Venice is definitely closer.

EDIT: The Land faction could be the "Reds" because of the blood of the people and all that, whereas the Naval faction are the "Blues" due to their assosciation with the sea. The Clergy are the whites, and can go one way or another.

Also, all national parks in Nondenominational land would go the USA, and in most cases the Church. Same for Indian reservations?

I think that immediately after the Regression, most government land not in the Chesapeake Bay Area was claimed by local warlords. The Church/ Rump USA has some claim but noone gives a shit.

Also, like the faction names.

How are people going to vote on the President though? Are President's elected upon death?
One way would be to have an electoral college maintained and continue to respond to the votes of the states. You could either have every state maintain its pre-regression electoral votes, or you could have every state regressed to three EVs, two of them going to the sovereign and one going to the clergy.

Or you could have the EC either suspended or otherwise re-purposed. Since its suspended and therefore no candidate can reach a majority of EVs, the election is automatically thrown to the House the day after Election Day (now a religious holiday). The Senate would still elect the Vice President.

I think that immediately after the Regression, most government land not in the Chesapeake Bay Area was claimed by local warlords. The Church/ Rump USA has some claim but noone gives a shit.
But all of them would still maintain theoretical fealty to the President and especially to the Church. Just look at how much land the Papacy held in the HRE.

Does the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal still exist? It exists at sea level and is about 11 m deep
Any Medieval European canals of comparable size?

tehskyman

Banned
One way would be to have an electoral college maintained and continue to respond to the votes of the states. You could either have every state maintain its pre-regression electoral votes, or you could have every state regressed to three EVs, two of them going to the sovereign and one going to the clergy.

Or you could have the EC either suspended or otherwise re-purposed. Since its suspended and therefore no candidate can reach a majority of EVs, the election is automatically thrown to the House the day after Election Day (now a religious holiday). The Senate would still elect the Vice President.

But all of them would still maintain theoretical fealty to the President and especially to the Church. Just look at how much land the Papacy held in the HRE.

Any Medieval European canals of comparable size?

I say that the articles of emergency have suspended the electoral college. Elections are now held only in the regions the government controls and the Senate no longer exists. The Articles of Emergency now dictate that the President is able to appoint a vice President because the states are unable to send representatives to the Senate.

No medieval canals exist of comparable width. Volume wise maybe the Chinese Grand Canal works. Maybe the Canal has mostly silted up over time though it is still large enough for medieval sized ships to travel through

I say that the articles of emergency have suspended the electoral college. Elections are now held only in the regions the government controls and the Senate no longer exists. The Articles of Emergency now dictate that the President is able to appoint a vice President because the states are unable to send representatives to the Senate.
I don't think the Senate should be abolished for two reasons: firstly, symbolic. The Nondenominational Church reveres the Constitution, and each state's right to senatorial representation is practically sacrosanct within the current language of the Constitution. It's technically impossible to amend away a state's representation in the Senate. Secondly is practical: without the Senate, the states would have no say in Church affairs since judicial appointments are approved by the Senate. I think the Articles of Emergency should contain a "gentlemen's agreement" that the Senate will serve as a rubber stamp for all matters internal to Federal land, and legislation pertaining to Federal land will only be introduced in the House. All Church relevant legislation can only be introduced in the Senate, and requires a supermajority. Further, the two Senators each state is entitled to could be divided between one for the government and one for that state's ecclesiastical supervisory.

I think having the Vice President elected by the Senate would be important, as the Vice President is President pro Tempore of the Senate. This would give the States further say in the affairs of the Senate. Further, the Vice Presidency isn't super important: since Presidents serve a life term, the Vice President would only remain in charge until the next post-Election Day, at which point the house would vote on a new President and the Senate on a new Vice President.

No medieval canals exist of comparable width. Volume wise maybe the Chinese Grand Canal works. Maybe the Canal has mostly silted up over time though it is still large enough for medieval sized ships to travel through
I considered the Chinese Grand Canal, but no Eastern state is even remotely comparable to the Chinese.

I guess that Federal Land would probably revert to Church control.
Yeah, inland almost all federal territory reverts to the Church, but on the coasts they could serve as the avenues for expansion for federal control.

tehskyman

Banned
I guess District Supervisors send Ecclesiastic Senators to Washington DC. I presume then that the Senate sits in DC and that the House and Presidency has been moved to Baltimore.

I guess District Supervisors send Ecclesiastic Senators to Washington DC. I presume then that the Senate sits in DC and that the House and Presidency has been moved to Baltimore.
With the President still sworn in at the Capitol by the Chief Justice.

Are there secular senators or just ecclesiastic ones?
Half are ecclesiastic insofar as they are appointed by the Church, and half are secular insofar as they are appointed by secular sovereigns, but possibly even these are still churchmen that the sovereigns appoint, just loyal ones.

The discussions are interesting. I'm thinking the Senators are appointed to by the District Supervisors who are their state's representative. Thus the Senate is alligned more closely infact with the Church rather than the USA itself. The House of Reps is filled with landlords, merchants, sailors etc. who come from across the USA and come from their respective 'districts'. A few threads ago, somebody came up with the idea that the Reds and Blues (we've added the Whites) wore different amounts of colours depending on their allegiance so that's an idea we could bring back.

In regards to the Chief Justice, we have to remember he only became the recognized arbiter of faith many decades into the regression (i think it might have even taken 4 centuries, I'll have to check my notes).

I presume that they act as the local head of the church in a particular state and neighboring territories which do not have an ecclesiastic/district seat.
Well look at this map.

400px-US_Court_of_Appeals_and_District_Court_map.svg.png

Most of the Circuit Courts exist across multiple states. Additionally, there are multiple Districts for quite a few states.

Perhaps they just don't survive. Not all institutions have to survive. In fact it'd be unrealistic if they did.
Maybe Circuits are both reduced and size and increased in number so each state comprises a single Circuit, while the District Supervisors correspond to the current federal district courts?

tehskyman

Banned
Maybe Circuits are both reduced and size and increased in number so each state comprises a single Circuit, while the District Supervisors correspond to the current federal district courts?

Maybe there are circuit courts, which is an institution separate from the District Supervisors. Supervisors act as the head of the church in a region/state, they manage the placement of priests, the allocation of wealth, relations with secular rulers etc.

The Circuit Courts adjudicate various decisions in a particular region and are hosted by a District Supervisor. There are District supervisors in all the old state capitols but there are only a few circuit courts.

They are hosted in
1st: Boston
2nd: NYC
3rd: Philadelphia
4th: Richmond VA
5th: New Orleans
6th: Cincinatti
7th: Chicago
8th: St Louis (Temporarily Suspended during Bailey Invasions )
9th: Temporarily suspended due to Western Emergency
10th: Temporarily suspended due to Western Emergency
11th: Atlanta

Summary of American Government
Alright, so to summarize-

-Presidents adopt the name of former Presidents upon their ascension to the Resolute Desk. This tradition began with "George Washington II", an admiral who at some point after years of emergency government and confusion managed to save the last vestiges of the federal government outside the church from total ruination. He drafted the Articles of Emergency, which outline how the government should function for the duration of the Regression.

-Counter to White's assertion, the Senate does not operate as the legislature of the United States. Rather, it serves primarily as an ecclesiastical body due to the Senate's control over judicial matters. Half of the Senators are the District Supervisors, the other half are clergymen appointed by the sovereigns of each District Supervisory. The Western Senators are half appointed by the Chief Justice with the Senate acting as a rubber stamp, the other half by the President with Senatorial approval. Both are taken from the "Courts-in-Exile" of the Western states, those descended from the old Westerners.

-The Supreme Court is elected by the Senate with the President acting as a rubber stamp in a reversal of current policy. Similarly, the District Supervisories are filled by the Supreme Court with the President as a rubber stamp.

-The House serves as America's primary legislature, with each representative elected by landholders in territories directly administered by the USA.

-Due to the suspension of the Electoral College in the election of Presidents (I would like to see it somehow repurposed however), after Election Day the vote is automatically thrown to Congress. The House elects the President and the Vice President is elected by the Senate. The appointment of the President is a life term, and the Vice President only administers the nation until the next Election Day. The President is sworn in by the Chief Justice.

-The District Supervisors are seated in old State Capitals, and the actual Federal Court Districts are equivalent to Bishops. Circuit Courts of Appeals exist not to administer the clergy but purely to ajudicate and kick decisions up to the Supreme Court.

Anything I've missed?