Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

There's something I need to let everyone here now for the flag challenge. I won't be here on 22nd of August because I'm going on overseas holidays with family. I'll be back on 27th of September.

Sorry about that, everyone.
So, if you win, the challenge will be given to the second runner up.
Enjoy you holiday.

EmperorBuaya's Challenge:
[NB Edited to fit the challenge format by The Professor]

Design a flag for any classical and medieval empire under Islamic rule or Muslim rulers.

POD is anytime.
It can be a ‘modern’ recreation.
However, the flags shall not be identical to OTL flags.

See this regarding Islamic flags for more information: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_flags

Submissions Close: 23:59 GMT 1st September
Voting Opens: 2nd September
Voting Closes: 8th September

Deleted member 107125

Basically, design a flag for any classical and medieval empire under Islamic rule or Muslim rulers. It can be ‘modern’ recreation.
What does he mean by ‘medieval or classical’. Can he be more exact?

What does he mean by ‘medieval or classical’. Can he be more exact?
As I understood it, basically any empire that existed pre Renaissance. The recreation bit allows for deliberate rebuilding after that period e.g Mussolini's attempt at the Roman Empire.
Sorry for not being specific enough, what I meant is you can do any empires and kingdoms, prior to 1900s. Other than that, it’s what @The Professor said.

Hope this will clarify any misunderstandings.

The Turkish Arabian Empire

Although possible dual empires between Greeks and Turks has been proposed for multiple times by Turks and Hellenes alike, the difference in religion and collective memory has been proven too great to be bridged by a shared culture. On the other hand, the Arabs, no matter how mistreated by the Sultans, at least shared a common religion with the Turks. So, without the aggressive assimilation policies by the CUP (young Turk) leadership, as well as disastrous participation in the WWI, would a dual empire of the Turks and Arabs, in the fashion of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, be possible?

Let's say the Young Turk coup of 1908 was thwarted, and Abdulhamid controlled the empire until his demise in 1918, keeping the Ottomans out of the war. His successor faced an Arab political movement in a bid for greater autonomy, so he gave quarter to the Arabs, by marrying a Hashemite princess, as well as incorporating the colours of the previous caliphates (built by Arabs) into the new Ottoman Dual Monarchy flag.

The Dual Monarchy was bicameral, with an Arab as well as a Turkish chambers, the former included Berbers and Assyrians, etc, while the later also fielded Kurdish, Greek and Armenian delegates.

The Empire claimed heritage, as shown on the flag, of the medieval Caliphates of Islam . (The black was the Abbasid dynastic color; white was the Umayyad dynastic color; green was the Fatimid dynastic color)

图片2.png

Last edited: