Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
People's Democratic Republic of Korea - 2001

jZzzhgw.png

The swift invasion by the People's Army has shattered the ROK Armed Forces into disarray, marching through the city after city without facing fierce resistance. The United Nations Command, despite their massive firepower, has failed to recuperate their losses in a significant manner; able to reclaim some of the coastal cities from the south but unable to reclaim back the lands after a failed counterattack.

After years of skirmishes and air raids, an armistice was ratified in 1954 and eventually progressed to a peace deal in 1956. The gains made by the communist are recognized as their own while acknowledging the sovereignty of the remaining territories of the republic. Since then, the two remained in an uneasy coexistence and they begin to establish a robust economic relation.

The PDRK has become the most militarized society on earth, with an ideology that synthesizes the Marxist-Leninist ideologies with a militaristic flair. They eventually reformed its economic system to encourage economic development, albeit still retaining their protectionist policy. Most of the companies are state-owned, with their initiative directly decided by the executive power. Their abundant supply of minerals has made them economically powerful, albeit most of them are spent on the integrity of their military and totalitarian-esque infrastructure.

Life in the People's Republic was simple and grey, with nothing but archaic circuses and military parades to amuse them. People are fed themselves with coupons provided by the governments but the diversity of their dietary are few due to their policy of quasi-autarky.

The Republic of Korea, with the massive port of Pusan and smart allocation of resources, has developed the rural landscapes of the coast into a massive megalopolis - an endless stream of skyscrapers illuminated with a bluish glow. Described as a paradise by westerners, many have migrated to the city and provide their talents for the benefit of the republic, turning the once monolithic country into a diverse community. Despite being economically prosperous, the signs of inequality have risen from its deep underbelly, with many living under squalor.

As time passes, the republic eventually recognized the futility of uniting with their northern neighbors and eventually developed their own identity. Despite this, they were able to coexist in peace, forming economic and diplomatic relations in end.

Here's an alternate link for the sake of it: [DeviantArt]|[r/ImaginaryMap]

Very nice! The map is positively superb, although I wonder if the ROK would still be so successful if it were as small as TTL. Unless, of course, the success described is more of an illusion than a fact.
I also wonder if the DPRK would have still pursued Songun when they have all of Korea's traditional capitals and (presumably) more international recognition.

View attachment 482077
I think I’ll make an improved version and a QBAM of parts of this map, but here’s a rough sketch of my attempt at a more plausible Kaiserreich timeline. I changed things whose plausibility I found suspect like the Whites winning the Russian Civil War, Ukraine and Belarus remaining stable members of the Reichspakt, China getting taken over by Germans, the Raj somehow only partially collapsing in India, German Vietnam, Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, etc. I would’ve liked to change Mittelafrika but I couldn’t find a suitable alternative besides reverting it to pre 1914 so I just left it as is.

The Reds victory in the Russian Civil War wasn't a sure thing either. Take out Lenin and Red movement would have splintered apart. Take out Trotsky, and they be deep trouble. Trotsky was had a great responsibility for the Red victory in the Russian Civil War. He was, quite simply, a brilliant military commander and organizer in the dire straits the Reds found themselves in. (And who helped Lenin a great deal.)

If not Red, Russia could instead White monarchist / nationalist-conservative militarist (à la Japan during WWII)

I will say it neat to explore the USSR and it ties to France and the UoB. (They may actually have a chance at winning the next war rather then being OP.) Same for rivalry between the two different forms of Redism.

How does Italy and Venice (Whic I will do like.) fairing?

China?

By better, I didn’t mean good in any sense of the word - it just seems that it has reformed its economy a bit to be stronger, it has slightly better relations with the ROK, etc. Better in the North Korean sense is still pretty horrible by the metrics of the rest of the world.

I agree, but to me it seems more like 1985-89 East Germany or 1950s Hungary than OTL North Korea.

How many people live in North Alaska, and what is it like? Like OTL North Korea?

EDIT: And who rules the Second Byzantine(?) Empire? Greco-Turkish Union?

I would think it's a Native run place that the American government for whatever reason shrugged their shoulders and said "too much effort for only snow and ice." This being 1932, I don't think they would have known of the oil. It's that or the Soviets ...

from_one__many_by_theroofcannon_ddekh7a-pre.png

Another of the regional maps I made as part of working on that One Big Map. This one has a bit more thought behind it, but the wikibox with that thought in it isn't quite ready yet, so for now it's just this; I'll probably be finishing up the wikibox tomorrow or Friday, and posting it to that thread.

I continue to love these. Have there been attempts in New Nanjing to drive a Great Ming-cultural restoration that isn't political?

Thank you! Because of its complicated legacy it took a while for New Nanjing to really look again at the Great Ming era. On the one hand the Heping Emperor and his relatively short-lived imperial state were foundational to the early history (and survival) of New Nanjing as a world, and this period has all the hallmarks of 'isolated bunch of humans do an impressive thing'. On the other hand, imperialism, autocracy, militarism. The Second British Empire and ensuing fallout meant these were received even more dimly from the late 24th century onwards. But the example of other neoclassical societies, like the ones the series has covered so far, provoked conversations about separating or reclaiming material culture and other such things from the least lovely aspects. The early 27th century is when New Nanjing begins to explore the world of their Ming ancestors, both ancient and recent, though at that point it's also eras like the Tang, the Qing, the Song that are being explored as well, along with 20th-21st century China (who are as far from 27th century New Nanjing as modern China is from the original Ming).

The Reds victory in the Russian Civil War wasn't a sure thing either. Take out Lenin and Red movement would have splintered apart. Take out Trotsky, and they be deep trouble. Trotsky was had a great responsibility for the Red victory in the Russian Civil War. He was, quite simply, a brilliant military commander and organizer in the dire straits the Reds found themselves in. (And who helped Lenin a great deal.)

If not Red, Russia could instead White monarchist / nationalist-conservative militarist (à la Japan during WWII)

I will say it neat to explore the USSR and it ties to France and the UoB. (They may actually have a chance at winning the next war rather then being OP.) Same for rivalry between the two different forms of Redism.

How does Italy and Venice (Whic I will do like.) fairing?

China?

Oh yeah I definitely agree with you there, the Bolshevik Revolution had a few key figures who, without, the revolution would have been severely weakened. I’m actually reading a biography of Trotsky right now (Prophet series by Isaac Deutscher) and I’m approaching the events of 1917, I’ll be interested in reading about the tactical and organizational abilities Trotsky possessed.

Italy below the Po is a Syndicalist republic dominated economically by cooperatives and trade unionism while politically it revolves around a few important Marxist intellectuals like Antonio Gramsci and Palmiro Togliatti. Much of the strength and support of the Republic comes from the industrial centers from the North and Center, while the south is relatively agricultural and is dominated by a few major farming unions. To the north, the remainder of the old Italian federation clings on, having been able to stop the Syndicalist from crossing the mighty river. It’s facing heavy pressure and influence from Austria and is increasingly dominated by Italian hyper nationalists and corporatists who plot to restore their rule to the rest of the peninsula. It’s not too different from Kaiserreich, but I didn’t find the rump Italian Kingdom in the south to be very plausible considering the disparity in strength.

China is experiencing the same warlord period as OTL and the Kuomintang headed Republic of China dominates the heartland while various generalissimos control the hinterlands. A tenuous alliance between the right and left wings of the party exist for now, but with increasing political intrigue as well as Soviet agitators making their way into Chinas bustling cities, this alliance does not seem like it will hold for long. Some cities on the coast once held by the British have changed hands to the Germans and they still possess Qingdao. The red stripes in Xinjiang represent strong Soviet influence under the rule of Sheng Shicai.

View attachment 482077
I think I’ll make an improved version and a QBAM of parts of this map, but here’s a rough sketch of my attempt at a more plausible Kaiserreich timeline. I changed things whose plausibility I found suspect like the Whites winning the Russian Civil War, Ukraine and Belarus remaining stable members of the Reichspakt, China getting taken over by Germans, the Raj somehow only partially collapsing in India, German Vietnam, Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, etc. I would’ve liked to change Mittelafrika but I couldn’t find a suitable alternative besides reverting it to pre 1914 so I just left it as is.

That's fucking gorgeous

Status
Not open for further replies.