Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skallagrim

Banned
So where did Madagascar and East Africa end up?

India basically wedged itself in between the two African plates. The land north of India is, in fact, East Africa + Madagascar (which has been re-absorbed into the mainland). In term's of OTL positioning, India's north has smashed into East Africa's west. (That lake between mountain ranges, north of the Gangetic plain, is actually Lake Victoria-- albeit shaped differently in this ATL.)

India basically wedged itself in between the two African plates. The land north of India is, in fact, East Africa + Madagascar (which has been re-absorbed into the mainland). In term's of OTL positioning, India's north has smashed into East Africa's west. (That lake between mountain ranges, north of the Gangetic plain, is actually Lake Victoria-- albeit shaped differently in this ATL.)

Ah, got it, I can see Madagascar's coast now.

Looks nice. Also, hoo boy... I can only imagine how politics are in US and Europe, given that the Third Reich fell only 17 years ago.

One question though - is that golden nation in the Russian northwest Ingermanland?

Kingdom or something royal titly of Novgorod, a Canadian project to restore Russia. Other than that Cossack Remnants control Southern Russia and the Caucasus. Meanwhile the heavily Germanized; Russian Confederacy is more akin to our Russia, accept more oligarchical. Siberia if you think about it is the true Russia, being the Russian remnant of the Soviet Union, never colonized yet by the Reich, but still pupated.

Here's something I've been working on for a while now. For the most part, it's just a fun little exercise in crafting a world with different continents. Some parts are far more realistic than others. The ATL tectonic plate movement is not entirely implausible, I think, and I've done my best to present the effects on the landscape (different mountain ranges etc.) in a generally serious manner. On the other hand, the "Eurasian Sea" wouldn't be present on a planet where we have a much bigger arctic ice cap (and correspondingly lower sea levels). I deliberately added it to prevent a totally dry and cold Eurasia.

As for the inclusion of that sunken Atlantis... well, I'm vaguely thinking of using this world for a scenario where Arthurian mythology is real history, where Atlantis was once a real place, where Lyonesse (the ATL island west of *Ireland) is its last remaining outpost after the cataclysm, and where Avalon (the *Isle of Man, now in an inland lake) is an Atlantean-inspired monastary-school of the arcane arts...

That, of course, would only be a tiny part of this vast and different world, since the ATL landscape would offer many opportunities to create very interesting cultures.

In any event, that's just what I had in mind with this little project. Maybe I'll never do anything with it at all. And maybe you have other ideas. This map is, as is typically the case with my stuff, freely available for any of you to use, edit, play around with etc. -- no need to ask permission or even credit me. If you have a use for it, go right ahead and have fun. (For your convenience: a blank version of the map is here, and a version with just the rivers is here.)

View attachment 481834

Imagine the alternate evolutionary path taken in this world, whether or not the non-avian Dinosaurs survived the KT Mass Extinction. This is a fantastic map and it gave me an idea of a spec-evo timeline.

EDIT: Also what's the PoD for this map? Late Jurassic?

Last edited:
You should do something with new Zealand and the oceanic islands?

Here's something I've been working on for a while now. For the most part, it's just a fun little exercise in crafting a world with different continents. Some parts are far more realistic than others. The ATL tectonic plate movement is not entirely implausible, I think, and I've done my best to present the effects on the landscape (different mountain ranges etc.) in a generally serious manner. On the other hand, the "Eurasian Sea" wouldn't be present on a planet where we have a much bigger arctic ice cap (and correspondingly lower sea levels). I deliberately added it to prevent a totally dry and cold Eurasia.

As for the inclusion of that sunken Atlantis... well, I'm vaguely thinking of using this world for a scenario where Arthurian mythology is real history, where Atlantis was once a real place, where Lyonesse (the ATL island west of *Ireland) is its last remaining outpost after the cataclysm, and where Avalon (the *Isle of Man, now in an inland lake) is an Atlantean-inspired monastary-school of the arcane arts...

That, of course, would only be a tiny part of this vast and different world, since the ATL landscape would offer many opportunities to create very interesting cultures.

In any event, that's just what I had in mind with this little project. Maybe I'll never do anything with it at all. And maybe you have other ideas. This map is, as is typically the case with my stuff, freely available for any of you to use, edit, play around with etc. -- no need to ask permission or even credit me. If you have a use for it, go right ahead and have fun. (For your convenience: a blank version of the map is here, and a version with just the rivers is here.)

View attachment 481834

I'll immediately ask in another part of AH.com... I like it very much!

Skallagrim

Banned
Imagine the alternate evolutionary path taken in this world, whether or not the non-avian Dinosaurs survived the KT Mass Extinction. This is a fantastic map and it gave me an idea of a spec-evo timeline.

EDIT: Also what's the PoD for this map? Late Jurassic?

The possibilities are pretty broad. As for a POD... well, it's mostly just my mucking around, but I'd say late Triassic, really. India has to be pulled south instead of North first, only to then be pushed back up north, colliding with Africa from the south. That demands a POD of at least 200 million years ago.

But this isn't intended to be fully realistic. This is art (or "art"), rather than science! ;)

You should do something with new Zealand and the oceanic islands?

Such as? :D

I'll immediately ask in another part of AH.com... I like it very much!

I'm glad you like it!

Interesting! Perhaps even gorgeous. I can tell that evolution coincidentally went along much the same lines that it did in OTL, but do any prehistoric creatures still exist in this TL? Perhaps the mammoth?
Lottie~

Anything you want to imagine is valid. I had a sort of "Platonic mirror" world in mind, where -- indeed, by magical coincidence -- iterations of familiar things appear in this very different world (e.g. humans, even specific humans, because I was thinkng of Arthurian legends)... but you can also ignore that.

I was also thinking about what giant Andean/Himalayan mountains in the middle of, ah... Afromerica(?) could mean for culture. Can you imagine an African people that founds an Inca-like empire? Because i sure can!

upload_2019-8-20_15-17-20.png
hey you guys missed me? still a work in progress
-a fled russian government that invaded alaska during the height of the american warlord era and is now resting peacefully, a change in color for mexico and small rebellions of communists, nationalists, monarchists and separatists, the American Liberation Army's influenced cliques/states and held territory is shown. also canada is here. i'll give you a hint for the next one, america is fucked.

View attachment 481902hey you guys missed me? still a work in progress
-a fled russian government that invaded alaska during the height of the american warlord era and is now resting peacefully, a change in color for mexico and small rebellions of communists, nationalists, monarchists and separatists, the American Liberation Army's influenced cliques/states and held territory is shown. also canada is here. i'll give you a hint for the next one, america is fucked.

Do you have a full timeline of the American Warlord Era; I'm always interested in such scenarios

I love this small series! Might we see a *Juche-type rogue state in North Mexico? Or North Florida even, with a democratic high-tech South Florida?

Farmer-Labor controlled Minnesota?

On October 8th, 1879, the chilean ironclads, Blanco Encalada and Cochrane fought against the notable peruvian admiral, Miguel Grau and his quick monitor Huascar. OTL Grau wasn't able to win the battle and lost his ship and his life, securing naval dominance of the chilean fleet. ITTL Grau manages to destroy Blanco Encalada with a torpedo and escapes north to Arica, buying some time for the peruvian and bolivian forces to regroup and plan their next strategy. Chile still have the naval advantage, however the remnants of the Marina de Guerra del Peru, aided by the peruvian and bolivian armies, caused serious troubles to the chileans. The war goes on for another 2 years until 1881; Grau dies in the Second Battle of Iquique and his sacrifice would encourage thousands of peruvians to join their army and fight for their nation. Meanwhile the United States sold weapons, ammunitions and even 1 ironclad and 2 monitors, using Mexico as intermediary, to Peru, this because the United States knew that the British Empire was supporting Chile during the war and they disliked the idea of british intervention in South America.

On June 7, 1881 the Battle of Arica is fought. Chilean fleet tried to break the peruvian blockade in the port, meanwhile the chilean army attacked the peruvian and bolivian positions. After 3 hours of intense fight, peruvian ironclad Almirante Grau fires a torpedo to chilean ironclad Cochrane, sinking the ship and turning the tide to the ally side. On earth, peruvian and bolivian resistance was so fierce that the chilean forces started to retreat. Suddenly the peruvians started a cavalry charge, breaking the chilean line, after the cavalry, peruvian and bolivian troops charged forward, almost taking no prisoners. Chile lost the battle. At the end of the day, Chilean casualties were more than 20,000 also they lost 50% of their naval force. This marked the end of chilean advance and beginning of their fall. Weeks after, chilean president, Domingo Santa María was overthrown and a military junta took charge of the country.

The turn of tide in the war quickly interested Argentina and accepted the proposal of joining on the side of Peru and Bolivia, however they still had to do preparations and organize their army. This bought enough time for the chileans to build defensive positions in their southern frontier, but peruvian-bolivian advance in the north was unstoppable and now they were besieging the city of Copiapo, in chilean territory. On January 1882 Argentina was ready to launch a full invasion on central and southern Chile, however the chilean junta, knowing the argentinean intention of annexing chilean territory, sold their colony in Magallanes to the British Empire and also ceded their claims south of Chiloe to the british. Argentina, don't wanting a war with the empire, stopped their plans and focused on mainland Chile. Months after, Argentina and the British Empire came to an agreement and partitioned Patagonia between them.

Back in the north, ally forces marched south to La Serena, meanwhile Argentina was invading Concepción and Valdivia. The junta is overthrown by a new junta and they quickly called for a ceasefire. Finally peace was signed on August 15th, 1883. Peru got their provinces back and annexed Isla de Pascua. Bolivia expands a bit south of parallel 24°, getting 200 kilometers of extra coast and Argentina loses their claims for a Pacific port but gained a new ally, the British Empire. Chile entered a period of internal struggle that leaded to the civil war of 1888- Democracy would be reinstaured in 1895.

Magellania.png

Status
Not open for further replies.