The Queen is Dead!: Katherine of Aragon dies in 1518

I haven't decided on a Duchess of Richmond yet. Other than that I know that Hal will grow up somewhat insecure, so whoever he marries will have to be the kind of girl he can play the knight in shining armour with if they're going to have a happy marriage. Bonus points if she's younger than him...

Of, i forgot he was still Duke of Richmond, that gives him a bit more kudos than just Kings son.

I haven't decided on a Duchess of Richmond yet. Other than that I know that Hal will grow up somewhat insecure, so whoever he marries will have to be the kind of girl he can play the knight in shining armour with if they're going to have a happy marriage. Bonus points if she's younger than him...
Kitty Howard maybe? Specially if she is a poor Howard relation taken as ward by either George or Anne...

That would make for an interesting union. Hopefully she won't be the disaster she was otl...
Well, at least they would be a similar age. That would be a good start.
I specifically talked about a Kitty who became ward of either Anne or George instead of being sent to her step-grandmother so a girl with Howard blood much closer to the Boleyns than to Norfolk so a young, pretty, vivacious but well educated girl, (almost) without dowry, loyal to Marie and her children and siblings who would likely not believe to her luck in being chosen as wife for Fitzroy (who would become and remained her shining knight ...

I specifically talked about a Kitty who became ward of either Anne or George instead of being sent to her step-grandmother so a girl with Howard blood much closer to the Boleyns than to Norfolk so a young, pretty, vivacious but well educated girl, (almost) without dowry, loyal to Marie and her children and siblings who would likely not believe to her luck in being chosen as wife for Fitzroy (who would become and remained her shining knight ...

It is certainly plausible, and I was planning on making Kitty Anne's ward anyway. I just don't know whether I could go through with it without feeling like I was copying one of my favourite stories on FFNet, 'On The Edge Of A Golden World'. What you've just described is exactly what happens to Kitty there...

I just remembered a historical tidbit, in the reign of the Tudors there was a push to make Henry VI a Saint, he had a popular unofficial cult, however it faded off due to Henry VIII going Protestant, any thoughts on a possible St. Henry VI becoming a thing?

It is certainly plausible, and I was planning on making Kitty Anne's ward anyway. I just don't know whether I could go through with it without feeling like I was copying one of my favourite stories on FFNet, 'On The Edge Of A Golden World'. What you've just described is exactly what happens to Kitty there...
Reallly? I forgotten that part.... Still here the circumstances would be highly different, right?

I just remembered a historical tidbit, in the reign of the Tudors there was a push to make Henry VI a Saint, he had a popular unofficial cult, however it faded off due to Henry VIII going Protestant, any thoughts on a possible St. Henry VI becoming a thing?

An interesting thought, but unlikely. My Henry VIII has always seen himself as more like his York ancestors than his Lancaster forebears. Also, I have plans for at least part of the younger generation to go Reformist like their Boleyn aunt and uncle, so even if Henry pushes ahead with making Henry VI a saint, it will fizzle out after his reign...

Would date/place markers be possible for the story line? Like June 1524 Tower of London or August 1522 Paris. It helps give an idea of the timeline.

Would date/place markers be possible for the story line? Like June 1524 Tower of London or August 1522 Paris. It helps give an idea of the timeline.

I do always try to put the month and year in the threadmarks, but I can certainly put it at the top of the chapters themselves if it would be helpful?? In case you are wondering, we're currently in early May 1521.

Section LXIX - Early May 1521
This section was written for me years ago by the wonderful @Tudorfan, when he was desperate to kill Buckingham and I chickened out of writing an execution. Thank you! Also, I have followed a suggestion by @jwgview upthread that I put date/place markers in the chapters themselves as well as in the threadmarks. Let me know if they are helpful or if they distract from the story.

The Tower, Early May 1521
Brandon watched as, stepping up to the edge of the scaffold, the Duke of Buckingham made a short speech to the crowd.

"I come here to die, gentle people, on false charges, at the jealousy of the King and blamed for not only wanting to mount the throne in the King’s stead, but for attempting to put my daughter to her rightful place - the throne - where the false Queen Marie resides with her husband, Henry." He turned to the executioner. "Strike true, Executioner, strike true."

He spread his arms wide and placed his head onto the block. The executioner, whom anyone with eyes could see was completely drunk and barely able to stand, raised his axe and swung, the axe sailing through the air, whistling, until it struck the Duke's shoulder with a sickening squelch.

Brandon glanced at George Boleyn as he stood stoic and silent, unflinching at the pain of the Duke as the crowd winced at the blow of the axe. His hatred of the would-be poisoner of his sisters was well known. No doubt he had paid for the executioner to become drunk the previous night. Brandon grimaced, but said nothing, only turning back to the scaffold as the axe rose high into the air again, came whistling down again and struck the other shoulder. Both began spewing blood into the air in great spurts and great, heaving cries echoed from the women in the crowd.

The axe rose for the third time, higher than ever before, and came whistling down again, striking the Duke's neck. Alas, much to the consternation of the agonised Duke, his neck was not severed and blood began spurting from his mouth and the gaping cut on his neck as the executioner removed the axe with a scraping sound like chalk on a slate.

The axe came up for the fourth time, sailed down, and sliced the Duke's head off.

It fell, with little more than a small thud, into the basket below, while blood spurted from the huge hole in his neck and shoulders. Still writhing, the body was dragged across the yard and sliced into four, allowing it to squelch and spurt in piece as it became naught more than a blood shooting mass of flesh.

Brandon grimaced again, then turned from the scaffold, forcing himself to remain calm. The deed was done, that was all Harry would care about.

The deed was done and the Duke of Buckingham would be troubling England no more.

For whatever reason, I am highly partial to a surviving Fitzroy marring Margaret Douglas. Though if Lionel does not get any brothers, that might be a little too close for comfort for the very reason it creates an exceptionally strong secondary Tudor line in country.

For whatever reason, I am highly partial to a surviving Fitzroy marring Margaret Douglas. Though if Lionel does not get any brothers, that might be a little too close for comfort for the very reason it creates an exceptionally strong secondary Tudor line in country.

She might be a bit strong-willed for the poor lad, but now I want to see Lionel and Meg Douglas together... :p

Grisly end for anyone there....

I wonder if future historians side with Henry or the Duke over his guilt...?

It'll probably be decided in the far future that Henry's records that the Dukes daughter came to him was written to support Henry because he had no real case and was looking towards getting rid of a powerful vassel.