Eparkhos

Banned
How strong were the Visigoths at this point? I know that when the WRE fell they were a formidable foe, but that by the time the Arabs came knocking at their front door they were about as strong as a dry noodle.

At this point in time the Visigoths were slowly centralizing, although the Suebi were still trying to break away

P.S. The Visigoths were still strong in the 8th Century, just absurdly centralized. When Rodrigo copped it, the kingdom was plunged into a power vacuum that was exploited by the Arabs.

At this point in time the Visigoths were slowly centralizing, although the Suebi were still trying to break away

P.S. The Visigoths were still strong in the 8th Century, just absurdly centralized. When Rodrigo copped it, the kingdom was plunged into a power vacuum that was exploited by the Arabs.
Interesting. I look forward to seeing how Justinian handles them.

Won't the whole Arianism thing weaken them with the populace though?

Islam as a concept only existed decades into the Umayyad Caliphate. It is a common misconception that the invading Arabs that invaded ERE and Persia were 'Muslims'. The were actually just monotheist warlords who only later, realizing they had a MASSIVE empire decided they needed to come up with a common belief and legacy that would hold them together. Mohammed only began to be revered as being as important to Muslims think of him today, many years into the existence of the caliphate. It was during an early civil war when one claimant printed the shahada (there is no god but god, Mohammad is the messenger of god) on his coinage which immediately gave him more legitimacy than his rival. So ITTL islam will not exist but maybe some deviant "ismaelite" sect of Judaism or Christianity.

Islam as a concept only existed decades into the Umayyad Caliphate. It is a common misconception that the invading Arabs that invaded ERE and Persia were 'Muslims'. The were actually just monotheist warlords who only later, realizing they had a MASSIVE empire decided they needed to come up with a common belief and legacy that would hold them together. Mohammed only began to be revered as being as important to Muslims think of him today, many years into the existence of the caliphate. It was during an early civil war when one claimant printed the shahada (there is no god but god, Mohammad is the messenger of god) on his coinage which immediately gave him more legitimacy than his rival. So ITTL islam will not exist but maybe some deviant "ismaelite" sect of Judaism or Christianity.
Man, now I want to know more about this. It sounds fascinating.

if it's true at least.

It sounds kinda fishy.

Man, now I want to know more about this. It sounds fascinating.

if it's true at least.

It sounds kinda fishy.

I read in a book called In the shadow of the Sword by Tom Holland. It basically goes shows that the emergence of Islam was the culmination of centuries of development in late antiquity and shows its true origins.

It would take a civil war among the Visigoths for this to work. The Hispano-roman populace at this point are fully behind their rulers as successive rulers made further steps to assimilate their populations. Its not really likely the Spaniards will see a Byzantine as their legitimate ruler.

@EparkosTonTrapezous
Love the idea of a revitalized reforged WRE. I will keep my eyes on this.

Isn't Tom Holland a pop history dude?

Like, I'll give the book a read but I remain skeptical.

I can perfectly see why anyone would be skeptical reading that because of preconceptions, but yes Tom Holland is a pop history dude, having written books like Persian fire, Rubicon, Dynasty and Millennium. Trust me, read the book its fascinating.

Update #3

Eparkhos

Banned
13 July 609
Iustinianus was woken by the sun on his face. He had slept in one of the many empty bunks in the city's barracks, with a dagger under his pillow in case Aurelianus had a change of heart.
He rose quickly and was in the streets of the city less than five minutes after he woke. They were deserted, covered in a thick layer of dust that hinted at a long period of neglect and decline. He followed the sound of a clanging hammer towards the city’s blacksmith, passing only and old hag chasing chickens along the way.
The smithy was in the crumbling ruins of a thermae huddled up against the corner of one of the city’s walls. Iustinianus walked in through one of the broken arches and followed the trail of smoke through the building. The sound of metal on metal rose as walked.
The smith himself was in the frigidarium, his forge hacked into the side of the pool and his back to the door. He stopped under the arch into the room, unsure of how to proceed. He waited until the blows stopped before faking a hacking cough to get the man’s attention.
“If Leontius wants swords he needs to get me the iron for it.”
The voice was gnarled and dry, speaking of age and weariness. “I’m not from Leontius.”
“Yes, you are. You’re wearing officer’s garb, and he’s the garrison commander.”
“How can you-“
“Look up.”
He did so. A small square sheet of polished metal was embedded in the domed ceiling opposite the door.
“How did you…”
“I didn’t. It was there when I was an apprentice, when my master was an apprentice and when his master was an apprentice and so on.” The smith stared up at it. “I climbed up there ‘bout thirty years ago and there was an inscription on it that said “ALEXANDER AVGVSTVS. Don’t know which.” He shook his head and looked back to his tools. “Like I said. Leontius wants swords, he needs to get me the iron for ‘em.”
“I’m Leontius’ superior, actually.”
The smith still didn’t turn around, just shrugged. “And?”
“I don’t need swords, I need you to make more of these.” He pulled a pear-shaped ring about as large as his spread hand from his pocket and holds it so that it could be seen by the mirror.
“Come here.” There was an annoyed tone to the smith’s voice. “I can’t see something that small from here.”
Iustinianus climbed down into the dried pool, stopping next to the man. He held it out again. The smith snatched it from him and held it up to a missing chunk of the ceiling. He glanced over at Iustinianus.
“How many of these do you want?”
He thought back to the previous night’s conversation with the kentarches.
“Eighty.”
The smith nodded, then grabbed a wooden box filled with metal scrap.
“This is all I have. I can make three of them.”
He grimaced. “That’s all?”
“That’s all. Now, if you could get me some iron I could make as many as you need.”
“Iron…”
The smith handed it back to him. “If you’re willing, there’s an old mine about ten miles to the west.”
Ten miles. Across Visigothic land. Hell no.
“I’ll see what I can get.” he said, walking away.

Last edited:
My only complaint with this story so far is that the chapters are really short. I know that sounds a bit rude but that’s my opinion, I like the story but it sucks to read really short chapters.

Eparkhos

Banned
My only complaint with this story so far is that the chapters are really short. I know that sounds a bit rude but that’s my opinion, I like the story but it sucks to read really short chapters.

I'm juggling three other TLs, so this is the most I can do on a daily basis, and if I do it on a weekly basis I'll procrastinate it into Oblivion.

TL;DR: It's the best I can do but it's not that rude.

While I like that Hispania has the Empire’s attention, I feel like more attention should be divested towards Italy and the Balkans. Roman Illyria was the traditional recruitment site of soldiers who were tough thanks to the frontier life style. Italy is also the cultural heart of the Empire and is a prime location for trade. If the Emperor can take it back and rebuild it in time, he’ll have a highly urbanized and prosperous province added to the empire. Then there’s North Africa which faces Berber raids. What’s the Roman relationship with the Franks like? How do the Italian Romans view the empire with Italy still being in ruins?

Not really though. They were the few post Roman successor states that were basically left intact for the most part. The Franks thanks to them dividing the Kingdom among sons as though it were the patrimony of the King rather than a public good as seen by Romans, were frequently fighting with each other. The Vandals and Ostrogoths were wiped out by the Romans. The Visigoths were sort of there “chilling.” Since the had no real threat. They mostly had internal conflicts and weak dynastic strength. When the Ummayads finally took over Africa, they invaded Iberia when the Visigoths were weakened from a civil war. As others have suggested, the Romans can use this to re-exert control over Southern Hispania. But I feel like the Empire should focus on the more critical Danubian frontier and the reconquest of Italy. The Franks bordering the Alps are the real worry. I recommend Justinian play the various Kings off each other ensuring no one power has supremacy over the other to unite the Frankish Kingdom. Will the Empire eventually retake the Pannonian basin?

Since the title is Western Rome Restored, is Justinian going to do His father’s idea of splitting off the West from the East? That idea was relayed on his sickbed and the Roman Italian enclaves don’t have enough resources to successfully defend themselves. So I fell like a gradual return to the Justinianic borders is ideal while measures are made to rebuild the economy and infrastructure so future generations may mount reconquests of more parts of the West.

Update #4

Eparkhos

Banned
15 July 609 ~10:00

A search of the city had dug up a bundle of old gladii in a sewer, a half-empty barrel of nails in the basement of a warehouse, two suits of mail armor in the attic of an abandoned house, a full kataphractoi kit buried in the hay of a feed lot, ten legionary kits from the reign of Postumus and dozens of other bits and ends. The few things they couldn’t use immediately were melted down to make more of the loops. Ansulae was the closest translation from the Avar word for them.
But there still weren’t enough, and so Iustinainus sat on his horse outside the walls of Malaca waiting for the few men from the city who could supposedly ride to mount up. He scanned the crests of the nearby hills for any movement. There wasn’t any.
He turned back to face the gate. There were seven men in the saddle, carrying a motly collection of spathae and lances. Only one of them was sitting in a way that wouldn’t get him thrown in five seconds. He couldn’t have been long past his sixteenth birthday.
“You!” Iustinainus said, pointing at him. “What’s your name?”
“Miles Aulus Delius, sir!” he said, shooting up in the saddle and snapping a salute.
“I’m promoting you to Decurio. Now,” he turned to the other men. “Lean forward in the saddle-“ he glanced over at the back of the group. He stopped. “For the love of God, are you really sitting on the horns?” He groaned internally. “Alright, all of you sit on the flat part of the saddle and put your legs between the horns.”
The ‘cavalrymen’ did so. They were still ungainly, but at least they wouldn’t kill themselves after two minutes. It would take more time than he had to get them into a better state.
He sighed. “Try to stay together, keep your weapons either sheathed or above head level. And if you see anything moving, tell me immediately.”
He turned his horse around and spurred it on. After about a minute with no following hoofbeats he reigned in and turned in the saddle.
“Decurio! Get you men in order and follow!”
Delius shot back up in the saddle and looked back at the rest of the group. “Come on, men! Move!”
Iustinainus spurred into a trot, and this time it was followed.

Last edited: