The Beatles Don't Break Up in 1970 - A Timeline

June 1972 (All Things Must Pass Tour part 5)
June 2, 1972 - The North American leg of the All Things Must Pass Tour kicks off at Shea Stadium in New York City. For the North American leg, Creedence Clearwater Revival opens for The Beatles. The projector screen first used in the Liverpool concert returns as well, and will be used for the rest of the tour. It is also here that the differences between the previous tours and the current one become crystal clear. John gives an interview for radio news station 1010 WINS after the concert.

Reporter: How is touring now, compared to six years ago?

John: Oh, it's a lot different. Like night and day. Back six years ago, 90 percent of the audience were teenage girls who'd scream their heads off. Now, there are lot of lads as well and not all of them scream, it's more like a roar now. It's like they actually want to listen to us rather than scream at us.

Reporter: Anything else you can think of?

John: Yes, we can actually hear ourselves this time! At the last concert we did here seven years ago, none of us could hear what we were playing. Watching the footage nowadays, I'm amazed we were able to play with any coherency. Now, with all the speakers and amps in the elaborate sound system we have, we can hear ourselves just as good as the audience can.

During this concert, a recording crew from Apple's American division records the concert for a future live album. The Beatles add "Dizzy Miss Lizzy" and "Baby's In Black", two songs they'd performed at the 1965 concert, to the setlist.

June 4, 1972 - Seventeenth concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at Fenway Park in Boston, Massachusetts. The Beatles perform "Dirty Water" in tribute to Boston. Members of local orchestras assist the group on songs with elaborate instrumentation, such as "Across The Universe", throughout the tour.

June 7, 1972 - Eighteenth concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at Jarry Park in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. As was the case with the concerts in France, the group sings "Michelle" in place of "If I Fell".

June 8, 1972 - The Beatles visit Canadian PM Pierre Trudeau in Ottawa. Trudeau honors the group by making them honorary citizens of Canada.

June 10, 1972 - Nineteenth concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at the Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

I can see a much more experimental turn for the band after Imagine. (If there is that song.) Another thing I'm hopeful for is that John will still write that Christmas Song and that the Band will cover a certain Bond film in the near future.

I can see a much more experimental turn for the band after Imagine. (If there is that song.)

That song is in fact on All Things Must Pass:

"All Things Must Pass"
Apple 20

SIDE 1
1. Maybe I'm Amazed (McCartney)
2. All Things Must Pass (Harrison)
3. Cold Turkey (Harrison-Lennon)
4. Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp (Harrison)
5. I'm The Greatest (Lennon)
6. Another Day (McCartney)
7. Imagine (Lennon)

SIDE 2
1. My Sweet Lord (Harrison)
2. Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey (McCartney)
3. Apple Scruffs (Harrison)
4. Oh Cynthia! (Lennon)
5. It Don't Come Easy (Harrison-Starkey)
6. The Back Seat Of My Car (McCartney)
7. Working Class Hero (Lennon)

Another thing I'm hopeful for is that John will still write that Christmas Song

He did write it:

November 24, 1971 - "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" b/w "Christmas Across The Universe" by John Lennon is released in the UK as Apple R 5930. Both songs were recorded during the sessions for All Things Must Pass. The B-Side is a special Christmas version of "Across The Universe". This is the first time an individual Beatle has released a solo single. Despite it being a limited Christmas-time release, it peaks at #2 on the UK Singles Chart.

December 1, 1971 - "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" b/w "Christmas Across The Universe" by John Lennon is released in the US as Apple 1842. Although the single sells very well there, it's status as a limited Christmas-time release hurts it on the charts. It peaks as high as #35 in Record World.

Lastly, I think The Beatles will record the theme to Live And Let Die.

That song is in fact on All Things Must Pass:

He did write it:

Lastly, I think The Beatles will record the theme to Live And Let Die.

Yeah, sorry. Need to pay more attention. One of the only sad things about the Beatles not breaking up is that now there won't be any Ruttles. Maybe Eric Idle and Co could find another band to lampoon though, IDK. Maybe A Monkies parody called ''The Dungheaps'' or something like that.

Yeah, sorry. Need to pay more attention. One of the only sad things about the Beatles not breaking up is that now there won't be any Ruttles. Maybe Eric Idle and Co could find another band to lampoon though, IDK. Maybe A Monkies parody called ''The Dungheaps'' or something like that.

There might still be The Ruttles (All You Need Is Cash), just done differently. By the way, that movie is ridiculously funny.

June 1972 (All Things Must Pass Tour part 6)
June 12, 1972 - Twentieth concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at Cleveland Stadium in Cleveland, Ohio.

June 15, 1972 - Twenty-first concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at Tiger Stadium in Detroit, Michigan. The Beatles add two Motown songs to the setlist for this concert: "You Really Got A Hold On Me" and "Please Mr. Postman".

June 17, 1972 - Twenty-second concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at Chicago Stadium in Chicago, Illinois. As has been the case with all of their concerts on the North American leg, the venue is packed. During "Come And Get It", a fight breaks out in one section of the upper level. Paul stops the song to try to calm them down to no avail. The concert comes to a halt as the police try to get the situation under control. During the fight, a few fans fall over the railing and into the crowd below. Police are able to gain control of the situation, but not before dozens of fans are injured and several are taken to the hospital with severe injuries. The rest of the concert proceeds as normal. In a press conference with local media after the concert, The Beatles criticize the venue for having lax security measures. The incident get national attention and draws attention to security measures at concert venues.

June 18, 1972 - The Beatles are informed that two of the fans who fell over the railing have died of their injuries. The group considers canceling their next tour date in St. Louis, but ultimately decide against it.

June 20, 1972 - Twenty-third concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at Busch Stadium in St. Louis, Missouri. The Beatles hold a moment of silence towards the beginning of the concert for the victims of the Chicago incident. The rest of the concert proceeds normally, though the group is obviously quite shaken up.

June 23, 1972 - Twenty-fourth concert of the All Things Must Pass Tour at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, Texas.

What a bum way for Paul to celebrate his 30th birthday.

The Beatles celebrated Paul's birthday privately at a Chicago hotel. It was in the evening, though, so they had enough time to recover from the news somewhat.

Well, something had to go horribly wrong. Murphy's Law, y'know

I was planning for something like that to happen on the tour. I also wanted to leave enough time until the Seattle concert for the group to recover, so it ended up happening in Chicago.

The Beatles could donate some of the money they make off the tour to the Chicago victims (it's somehow appropriate that it happened there, given the chaos Chicago had 4 years earlier)...

Maybe this butterflies away the Riverfront Coliseum stampede in 1979...