Bushwick(2017 film) aftermath

So I saw this film the other day and I thought it was an interesting enough(though pretty ASB) premise about the start of a second civil war
To recap to the important points:

1.) A group of states led by Texas has decided to break away from the US. This group is called the New American Coalition. In addition to Texas it includes Louisiana, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, West Virginia, Georgia as well as parts of Pennsylvania and Maryland. Given that one of the Coalition soldiers is from Kentucky we can probably count that as well.
2.) To accomplish this they’ve sent a large helicopter-borne private army/militia to New York and presumably other major cities to take them hostage and force Congress to ratify their secession. The militia seems to be composed largely of infantry though they do have some light vehicles like humvees.
3.) This plan quickly falls apart as the locals prove to be much better armed and resilient then anticipated. Brooklyn in particular is turned in a huge battlefield within a day of the operation starting.
4.) By the end of the day, the US military proper has been deployed to evacuate non-combatants from the effected areas.

So that’s the info the film provides about the situation. Do you guys have any thoughts on how the situation might develop?

I imagine the US military is already striking back by the end of the film

Something that would be interesting is how military personnel in the rebelling Coalition states respond. How many would side with the separatists or help the federal government try to regain control? Considering that the Coalition is resorting to mercenaries/militias to fight for them how much military support do they really have?

I am assuming that the states leaving which are mostly the old Confederate States That the rebels are far right and probably not gonna treat minorities very well which mean even in firmly rebel hailed cities to break out into Urban Warfare Atlanta New Orleans Dallas Austin and other places with high POC populations to break out to very large riots. Along with that the rebels will have to deal with fed loyalists left leaning whites as well.

Also expected for the leaders to get drone strike pretty quick once the military get deployed.

By the end of the first month any insurgency in cities like New York and Chicago like that seen in the movie to put down. The actual war against the rebels would be over quickly, but the occupation would be hard dealing with insurgency.

The world economy would probably in the trash with a large recession or possibly a second Great Depression happening.

Something that would be interesting is how military personnel in the rebelling Coalition states respond. How many would side with the separatists or help the federal government try to regain control? Considering that the Coalition is resorting to mercenaries/militias to fight for them how much military support do they really have?
They probably hired the mercenaries to actually save their real manpower and not waste it. The CS military probably are made up of militias pro rebel National Guards and police, but I can imagine a lot of National Guards and police will remain loyal to the feds.

Also there is not that much back information about what lead up to the war. States just doesn’t suddenly decides to leave the Union.

Also there is not that much back information about what lead up to the war. States just doesn’t suddenly decides to leave the Union.

As far as I can tell this was to keep the nature of the invaders a surprise until part way through the film. Though we can probably assume it’s an extrapolation of current political divisions.

You would think the military would have noticed the very large helicopter force moving in on New York City and done something about it...

Or earlier. The "large helicopter-borne private army" would be a large, obvious, anomaly and one that would garner some air-to-air attention.
You would think the military would have noticed the very large helicopter force moving in on New York City and done something about it...

The chopper fleet presumably took off from somewhere else in the US, heck maybe they even took off from different locations and meet up in route to throw off the scent. Not to mention NYC gets plenty of air traffic, so there’s probably no reason to be immediately suspicious.

Too be fair I’ll admit it’s weird we didn’t see any evidence of the USAF trying to regain air superiority over the city. Especially since the Army is using helicopters to evacuate people by nightfall.

The chopper fleet presumably took off from somewhere else in the US, heck maybe they even took off from different locations and meet up in route to throw off the scent. Not to mention NYC gets plenty of air traffic, so there’s probably no reason to be immediately suspicious.
I guarantee a gigantic fleet of aircraft heading towards the nation's largest city, not answering hails, is going to be very, VERY suspicious.

I guarantee a gigantic fleet of aircraft heading towards the nation's largest city, not answering hails, is going to be very, VERY suspicious.

*shrugs ultimately the film doesn’t really say much about how the militia got in, just that they did. At one point we hear a radio broadcast that implies the government is scrambling to come up with a response.
In any event, the whole operation proves to be a disaster for the Coalition through this is less because of US air defenses and more of the local population not immediately cowing to the militia as they had originally planned.

*shrugs ultimately the film doesn’t really say much about how the militia got in, just that they did. At one point we hear a radio broadcast that implies the government is scrambling to come up with a response.
In any event, the whole operation proves to be a disaster for the Coalition through this is less because of US air defenses and more of the local population not immediately cowing to the militia as they had originally planned.

I guess we New Yorkers seriously messed with Texas.

Does this mean California remains the "Leader of the Resistance"? If anything, the issues of immigration, abortion, gun control, LGBTQ rights and race relations would seem to differentiate the secessionist states.

If the force is coming from inside the States it might presumably be timed so as not to attract attention.
How did they think they were going hold these cities though given the nypd and other police departments have militarised to insane degrees?

If the force is coming from inside the States it might presumably be timed so as not to attract attention.
How did they think they were going hold these cities though given the nypd and other police departments have militarised to insane degrees?

Taking the cities hostage was meant to be a gambit to force Congress to ratify the Coalition’s states secession. It’s also noted they did underestimate how much armed resistance they would be facing.
The movie admittedly doesn’t say much about the NYPD. We do see some uniformed officers hiding behind a patrol car in a shootout with some Coalition mercs early on. And there are emergency sirens heard in the distance throughout the film. It appears as if the police were overwhelmed early on and had to retreat from the area much of the action takes place.