Who would rule North and South Japan?

So, the Kyujo incident succeeds in preventing the surrender of Japan. The Emperor is either arrested or executed. Operation Downfall happens, extending the war to 1947-48. The US and the Soviets invade Japan from each end until they meet at the Agano River, which becomes the border for their future puppet states. The

As they begin to put their puppet governments together with Tokyo and Sapporo becoming their respective capitals, who do the Americans and the Soviets choose to become the leaders of North and South Japan, respectively? Were there any notable pro or anti-communist Japanese officials who could fit the bill?

(And just in case it's relevant, Fat Man and Little Boy are still dropped in this scenario)

North has probably Communist leader Sanzo Nosaka. South might get democratically elected leaders. Or if monarchy survives there is still emperor but without any political power like in OTL but prime minister is elected by parliament which is elected democratically.

If the emperor is killed, then it's likely someone else in the imperial family replaces Hirohito if the monarchy is to survive. Though one funny idea is Kumazawa Hiromichi, who claimed to be a direct descendant of the last emperor of the southern court and thus the rightful emperor of Japan could become emperor.

If the emperor is killed, then it's likely someone else in the imperial family replaces Hirohito if the monarchy is to survive. Though one funny idea is Kumazawa Hiromichi, who claimed to be a direct descendant of the last emperor of the southern court and thus the rightful emperor of Japan could become emperor.

Why not Akihito as emperor? Of course there should be regency while btu still I don't any reason why he couldn't be emperor.

Altough I doubt that Americans would dare hang former emperor. Enforcing him to abdicate is possible but hanging god would be dangerous idea. Japanese wouldn't like that.

So, the Kyujo incident succeeds in preventing the surrender of Japan. The Emperor is either arrested or executed. Operation Downfall happens, extending the war to 1947-48. The US and the Soviets invade Japan from each end until they meet at the Agano River, which becomes the border for their future puppet states. The

As they begin to put their puppet governments together with Tokyo and Sapporo becoming their respective capitals, who do the Americans and the Soviets choose to become the leaders of North and South Japan, respectively? Were there any notable pro or anti-communist Japanese officials who could fit the bill?

(And just in case it's relevant, Fat Man and Little Boy are still dropped in this scenario)
Actually, Tokyo would be the capital of North Japan and Kyoto would be the South.

The more interesting question would be how this affects the Korean war - does it spread to Japan, or is it butterflied away completely?

Actually, Tokyo would be the capital of North Japan and Kyoto would be the South.

I doubt that Tokyo would be capital of North Japan. Hardly Americans in any occassion would accept Soviets coming so south. And even if Soviets have their own occupation zone actual capital probalby would be in Sapporo when it would be easier to defend and it can control Communist Japan.

I doubt that Tokyo would be capital of North Japan. Hardly Americans in any occassion would accept Soviets coming so south. And even if Soviets have their own occupation zone actual capital probalby would be in Sapporo when it would be easier to defend and it can control Communist Japan.

Sapporo or some city in Tohoku.

Altough I doubt that Americans would dare hang former emperor. Enforcing him to abdicate is possible but hanging god would be dangerous idea. Japanese wouldn't like that.

"People were more concerned with food and housing problems than with the fate of the Emperor".

EmbracingDefeatSelection1_zps3iosozfh.png