WIP Map Thread

upload_2019-8-10_20-6-55.png

here's a teaser of a map combining two SCPs. Not the famous "bad guy lol!!!!", but two historical ones.

I'll give you a hint- the POD takes place in the forbidden city, 1900.

but two historical ones.
ngl, I wasn't aware of many historical SCPs other than that one about the historical book that continues to write itself the longer it is read, and the things being written becoming progressively more true, with the implication being that eventually, if people continue reading it, the super-society of genocidal unstoppable war machines will retroactively become part of modern life and conquer humanity.

Got sidetracked and decided to start a 1980s punk map. Loosely influenced by B_Munro's 1980s Retrofuture.

The big three powers are America, USSR, and Japan. America is a populous, powerful, corporate-dominated leviathan that rules the roost in much of the world, though it faces some challenges from the other contenders.

The USSR settled on an odd combination of Brezhnevism and Perestroika...though the Gorbachev phase did lead to Europe going free. It somewhat recovered from those losses, and re-adopted a confrontationist posture in much of the developing world. Similar to OTL China.

Japan never underwent the Lost Decade as we know it. It is bar none the world's most technologically advanced society, and it has one of the world's highest per capita GDPs. It has also fulfilled its geopolitical imperative by controlling maritime routes to its petroleum and raw material suppliers.

Done in Equal Earth projection.

pwib2RW.png

Last edited:
ngl, I wasn't aware of many historical SCPs other than that one about the historical book that continues to write itself the longer it is read, and the things being written becoming progressively more true, with the implication being that eventually, if people continue reading it, the super-society of genocidal unstoppable war machines will retroactively become part of modern life and conquer humanity.
ok, that one is involved with the 001, but it’s not one of the skips involved (ok, kinda, but not one of the major two)

Finally got back now that my laptop's up and running again. Here's a continuation of my previous map from five months ago:

2sHNZP8.png

Just about done tracing the Yangtze river system. After this I'll work my way down to the Pearl River Delta, inch eastwards until Southern China is fully traced, and then start doing the Central Plain rivers. Because standardizing river width is a pain with these many tributaries, I opted to use width 3 only on the major rivers of the region, and 1.5 for the rest.

Also, does anybody have any experience in using contour lines to depict mountains in Inkscape? And does the map look fine as it is and without any mountains in the first place? Thanks.