Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurantiacis

Gone Fishin'
Why, I'll join in on the HM bandwagon and post my first Inkscape map: A map of South Africa in the 1370s!

L4s60yo.png

Why, I'll join in on the HM bandwagon and post my first Inkscape map: A map of South Africa in the 1370s!

L4s60yo.png
Is this AH, or OTL? Because if it's the latter, it would be a very useful resource. (I don't really know a lot about pre-colonial Africa.)

Aurantiacis

Gone Fishin'
Is this AH, or OTL? Because if it's the latter, it would be a very useful resource. (I don't really know a lot about pre-colonial Africa.)

It's AH. I would have wished for pre-colonial Africa to have more complex states, especially in this region.

dddm64u-b3906478-76cc-4cba-a305-3618b25ce383.png

Part One of a two part Middle Earth project. This is a topographic map of all of Arda in the Third Age. The names for the lands in the Middle Earth region (that is to say the region where the books are set) are of course canon (bar the river Guthrant in Mordor) and the rest are taken largely from MERP via the Notion Club Archive (merp.fandom.com/wiki/Arda_Role…) where possible and my own invention where not.

I should also note that this is a bit of an experiment, so apologies if some font sizes are too small.

Not exactly...

It’s a Small World After All: JerseyLand
j7QDR7a.png

If New New York had shown the limits of the National Theme Park model, JerseyLand dealt its credibility a significant blow. Backed by a shadowy consortium of wealthy individuals, JerseyLand LLP had purchased all of the Sandy Hook peninsula and was preparing to start construction when development was halted indefinitely by the indictment of its entire executive board on federal racketeering charges.

Seized by the government under the provisions of the RICO Act, the proposed JerseyLand site was officially designated a wildlife preserve: however, it has principally served as a venue for illegal raves in recent years. Given that the project was very much in the planning stages at the time of the arrests, the proposed scope of JerseyLand can only be inferred from the handful of meeting notes which had not been successfully shredded or burned before law enforcement obtained them. An annotated diagram produced during one of these meetings is set out above.
The most Jersey thing about this place is that it was shut down on racketeering charges, because of course it was. The "is this legal?" bit -- I do not want to know what it points to -- says it all.

The only thing I would've done is split off a chunk of the Sopranos zone and have a suburbia zone. Not just because it plays into how New Yorkers and Philadelphians see New Jersey, but because that environment produced a whole lot of "dark heart of suburbia" fiction and music. New Jersey was a major center of emo music, both in the 2000s and to this very day. Todd Solondz is also a native son of Newark. Better yet, I'd have made it part of a larger "Weird NJ" zone, together with the Jersey Devil and the Pine Barrens Experience, a place that would've probably advertised itself as the ultimate Halloween destination every October. (Perhaps with the sponsorship of another New Jersey institution, Egg Harbor's own Spirit Halloween. The sexy female costumes certainly would've been on-brand with the rest of the park.)

And Action Park! That's a Jersey deep cut.

upload_2019-8-8_23-58-11.jpeg

“Nobody knows why Vice city was spared from the nuclear fire that was the 3rd world war but whatever caused the nuke to malfunction and miss Vice city not only spared millions of lives from nuclear annihilation but would eventually give birth to an empire that would eventually return order to a chaotic America”.
James Davidson- Doing a lecture on the rise of the Miami empire at the University of Vice city 2049

“It doesn’t matter what happens elsewhere and even in the age of pocket PCs and Tablets here in this empire it will always be the 1980’s”. - Jessie Vercetti, Tommy Vercettis Granddaughter upon coronation- 2035

Light Brown- Miami Empire

Dark Brown- Dominions, Dominion of Mexico, Dominion of Louisiana, Dominion of Liberty state, Dominion of Bermuda

Red- Allies, New England commonwealth, Central Texan Republic, Northern Californian Republic

dddm64u-b3906478-76cc-4cba-a305-3618b25ce383.png

Part One of a two part Middle Earth project. This is a topographic map of all of Arda in the Third Age. The names for the lands in the Middle Earth region (that is to say the region where the books are set) are of course canon (bar the river Guthrant in Mordor) and the rest are taken largely from MERP via the Notion Club Archive (merp.fandom.com/wiki/Arda_Role…) where possible and my own invention where not.

I should also note that this is a bit of an experiment, so apologies if some font sizes are too small.

What will be part two? It would be interesting to see someone try their hand at a racial/ethnic map of Middle-earth - “racial” as in where Men, Elves, Dwarves, Orcs and all the rest, “ethnic” as in, say, the different nations of Men.

Sorry what year is this? If 1370s what is Napoleon doing in Africa?

Historiae Mutetur, the map game it's based on, is strange in that it starts out in OTL 2014 and goes backward, diverging from OTL more and more each year. As a result, the players had free reign to move OTL historical figures to whatever time period they wanted, or create or remove them altogether, since they're basically rewriting all of history.

Lusitania

Donor
Historiae Mutetur, the map game it's based on, is strange in that it starts out in OTL 2014 and goes backward, diverging from OTL more and more each year. As a result, the players had free reign to move OTL historical figures to whatever time period they wanted, or create or remove them altogether, since they're basically rewriting all of history.
Ok that makes no sense since you have Napoleon in that area. It like saying we have Nazi germany next to Roman Empire.

Sorry what year is this? If 1370s what is Napoleon doing in Africa?

If I remember my Historiae Mutetur correctly House of Napoleon is more like The Bourbons or the Carolingians then the actual Napoleon. A Baltic German in Russia being a much closer equivalent to our Napoleon.

Aurantiacis

Gone Fishin'
Ok that makes no sense since you have Napoleon in that area. It like saying we have Nazi germany next to Roman Empire.

It makes sense, just not in context of our timeline. Why, we have giant Native American empires, Confucian Kurds, South Indian Japanese and Koreans, Egyptian dynasties-in-exile in the 1200s, Islamic Rome and four preceding Roman Empires, and Swahili descendants in Vinland in the 500s!

Last edited:
PREFACE - Jan. 14th, 2202

When embarking on any serious work, as A Revised History of Now of course is, one inevitably runs afoul the pop-historian crowd. Amusing though they may be at times, as someone who has been target of their ire twice already (The Inevitable Triumph of Progress and Llorens: Visionary and, I am confident, this work as well) I feel a solemn obligation to warn my readers away from these pseudo-philosophers with their easy tales of doom and gloom. It is tiresome enough to be immersed in the Mentality in every movie and televid that comes along without dwelling on them in our history books as well. Appalling as it was in its heyday, it is a tired relic now, and with a few decades of deeducation for the remnants will be gone altogether. Our grandchildren will laugh that we ever seriously feared the prospect of a hiveworld - and recognize the Fifty Years' War for the historical blip it was.

Indeed I hope that, with greater perspective, the clunky attempts at periodization pop-history keeps forcing on us will vanish as well. You can name them as easily as I at this point - Unipolar Winter, Asian Spring, Indian Summer, Gestaltzerfall. How reductive, to diminish the last two centuries to the blundering rule of the Old USA, the flourishing of democracy in China, and the long cultural hegemony of India (one might more accurately call it the East African Summer, mind you). But the last concept of "Gestaltzerfall" is undoubtedly the most dangerous. I know it is fashionable to bemoan Professor Lei's discovery of the Lines in 2146 - the replacement of Elevator Democracy - as the end of some long golden age when the Solar System was a cultured expanse too large to transit in a month, when Mars was still unambitious and still dry, when Earth was not locked in a stalemate between the radicals of the global South and the legitimists of the global North.

This is all wrong, of course. The Ecology and the Ecumene are on the brink of resolving their differences peacefully and the proposed "third way" of the Entelechy will vanish like the mirage it is. Earth will never be overshadowed, as long as Mars and Mercury and Venus line in their water from us, as they must. And the story of mankind is, and will continue to be, one of progression, of success piled upon success.

It is not, as the pop-historians have so falsely put it, cyclical.

Mons [footnoted].png

CannedTech

Banned
It makes sense, just not in context of our timeline. Why, we have giant Native American empires, Confucian Kurds, South Indian Japanese and Koreans, Egyptian dynasties-in-exile in the 1200s, Islamic Rome and four preceding Roman Empires, and Swahili descendants in Vinland in the 500s!

To add to those, some of my favorite examples of the phenomenon seen with Napoleon in the TL are Confucius being a Roman and Shakespeare being a Jewish playwright in the 20th Century.

Status
Not open for further replies.