US annexes all of Mexico in 1848: what does the US look like today?

Actually, I think northerners will be particularly insistent on the Wilmot Proviso in the unlikely event All Mexico goes through. Many antislavery northerners had denounced the War as a slaveholders' conspiracy, and would hate the idea of an extension that could result in slavery going into not only California and New Mexico but potentially in some states south of the Rio Grande--at least the ones just to the south of it. And indeed the whole issue of slavery is one reason why I think All Mexico is so very unlikely. To quote (with a few minor changes) an old soc.history.what-if post of mine:

First, my apologies in just now seeing this.

As to the meat of the matter, even as late as the Lincoln Administration the North appeared ready to concede what became New Mexico and Southern California; both were brought up at the various peace overtures in 1860-1861, with even Seward (IIRC) backing the New Mexico one. Given the period context such thoughts were in, I find it rather telling as to whether a major political fight would develop over this, especially given the existing precedent of the Missouri Compromise and the 36°30′ parallel dividing line to settle it. Further, Anti-Slavery sentiment is quite a bit too generic and masks the divisions therein between the actual Abolitionists and the Free Soilers. The Abolitionists were opposed to Slavery as an institution while the Free Soilers were opposed to its expansion into areas that would conflict with expected Northern farmer sentiment. New Mexico holds no value for them and the expected division of California would gift them the gold fields and most of the best farmland as well as the port of San Francisco. Maintaining the Compromise of 1820 also means outright they get all of the Great Plains, a clear example of getting what they really want while giving up some marginal areas they never truly had much interest in anyway.

From a reading of Frederick Merk's *Manifest Destiny and Mission in American History* (which has the best discussion I know of the movement for the acquisition of "all Mexico") I am convinced that the All Mexico movement was a phenomenon of the Northeastern penny press, and never had any real chance.

There were a number of reasons for this. Whigs, north and south, were vehemently opposed to the idea, and they had a majority in the House of Representatives. Besides, financing an occupation of Mexico would be expensive, and the Democrats were proud of having lowered rates with the Walker Tariff. Many of them were worried that a continued occupation of Mexico would force a return to high tariff rates (which might be attractive to Democrats from protectionist Pennsylvania but not most others).

A bare majority of 116-112, so not overwhelming and indeed a bill was already afoot to finance a further 10 regiments into Mexico for occupation duty if needed. The 1850s also show that, when it comes down to, the North was still more than willing to compromise and that Southern Whigs often would fall in line out of sectional interest.

The most important obstacle was racism and the slavery issue. On the one hand, antislavery Northerners denounced the Mexican War and any proposals for annexing Mexican territory as a slaveholders' conspiracy; yet on the other hand, some Southerners (the Whigs and Calhoun) opposed the war entirely, and few Southerners supported the acquisition of all Mexico. (The only Southern Democratic newspaper that shared the Northeastern penny press' enthusiasm for All Mexico was at the very northeastern edge of the South--Baltimore.) Both Calhoun and the Southern Whigs harped on the argument that the Mexicans were a "colored" people, who opposed slavery and would weaken it within the Union. And whatever their disagreements with Calhoun over the war itself, most Southern Democrats agreed with Calhoun when he said:

"I know further, Sir, that we have never dreamt of incorporating into our Union any but the Caucasian race--the free white race. To incorporate Mexico would be the very first instance of the kind, of incorporating an Indian race; for more than half of the Mexicans are Indians, and the other is composed chiefly of mixed tribes. I protest against such a Union as that!...Are you, any of you, willing that your States should be governed by these twenty-odd Mexican states...a mixed blood equally ignorant and unfit for liberty, not as good as the Cherokees or Choctaws?"

Calhoun also harped on the theme that administering Mexico would require precisely the kind of centralized national government the South feared (at least unless it was sure of controlling it!).

Note also the comments of Waddy Thompson, a South Carolina Whig who had spent some time as a diplomat in Mexico: "A friend said to me today that we will not take the people, but the land. Precisely the reverse will be the case; we shall take the people, but no land. It is not the country of a savage people whose lands are held in common, but a country in which grants have been made for three hundred and twenty-five years, many of them two and three hundred miles square...it is all private property, and we shall get no public domain which will pay the cost of surveying it. I speak of the country beyond the Rio Grande. We shall get no land, but we shall add a large population, alien to us in feeling, education, race, and religion..."

I'm sure many Southern Democrats did indeed agree with Calhoun's racial rhetoric but that in of itself is not a mark against the prospects. As The Democratic Review noted at the time, one could hold Mexicans to be racially inferior to Anglo-Saxons but still believe in annexing Mexico in it's entirety given the "vigor of the Anglo-Saxon race". Indeed, this view was not limited just to the South; contemporary newspapers even in New England propagated such an idea and even went so far as to suggest miscegenation in a positive light. This explains the strong support for All Mexico that had emerged even by December of 1847, as recorded by The Slavery Question and the Movement to Acquire Mexico, 1846-1848 by John D. P. Fuller, The Mississippi Valley Historical Review Vol. 21, No. 1 (Jun., 1934), pp. 31-48:

"In the Congress which assembled in December, 1847, the question of the acquisition of all Mexico appeared in the open for the first time. Among those who may definitely be numbered with the expansionists were Senators Dickinson and Dix of New York, Hannegan of Indiana, Cass of Michigan, Allen of Ohio, Breese and Douglas, of Illinois, Atchison of Missouri, Foote and Davis of Mississippi, and Houston and Rusk of Texas. The leadership in the fight, against imperialism fell not to the anti-slavery element but to pro-slavery Democrats. On December 15, Calhoun in the Senate and Holmes in the House introduced resolutions opposing the acquisition of Mexico. Other pro-slavery Democrats, Butler of South Carolina, and Meade and Hunter of Virginia, also registered their opposition."

It might be thought that if proslavery Southerners opposed All Mexico as a menace to slavery, antislavery Northerners should have supported it for the same reason. However, the closest thing I have been able to find to this is the proposal of the antislavery *National Era* that the United States should unilaterally declare peace and should *invite* nineteen Mexican states (the ones with sufficient population) to enter the Union as states. That newspaper was convinced that doing this would fatally undermine the Slave Power. The people of these new states would all see to it that their states would remain non-slaveholding, and they were at least as fit for self-government as the hordes of immigrants now pouring into the US from Europe...But in the first place, the *National Era* emphasized that the entrance into the Union had to be voluntary; second, despite this qualification, the idea was denounced by other antislavery forces as "pandering" to the robber spirit of conquest; and third, as one might expect, it was unanimously denounced by Southerners. In any event, there was little chance of the Mexicans agreeing to this. It is true that some of the radical "Puros" so despaired of secularizing and reforming Mexico internally, they were prepared to get reform from without--by joining the United States. But even among the Puros, it's doubtful this was a widespread sentiment--certainly their leader Gomez Farias didn't feel that way.

One gets the impression that what most Americans wanted was as much Mexican territory as possible with as few Mexicans as possible. What convinces me of the superficiality of the sentiment for "all Mexico" is that even the expansionists actually seemed relieved at Trist's treaty, despite its insubordinate origins. Thomas Ritchie of the *Washington Union* spoke for many when he expressed happiness that the land taken from Mexico was encumbered by only 100,000 Mexicans.

Gomez Faris might not have felt that way, but the belief was strong enough among his followers that several contemporaries recorded it as existing, with modern research seeming to back this up:

eWDa9beH_o.png

Support also does not seem to have been limited to the Puros, as General Winfield Scott recorded:

[34] However, two years later, after the treaty of peace was signed at Guadaloupe on Feb. 2, 1848, and sixteen days later, after he was superceded in the command of the army by Butler, he could write, "Two fifths of the Mexican population, including more than half of the Congress, were desirous of annexation to the US, and, as a stepping stone, wished to make me president ad interim.'"

The United States Army in Mexico City, by Edward S. Wallace (Military Affairs, Vol. 13, No. 3 (Autumn, 1949), pp. 158-166) also states a desire for annexation among the well off of Mexico City, and goes into detail about the relationships cultivated between American soldiers and Mexican civilians.

To that post, I would add just a few things:

(1) The support of the Northeastern "penny press" for All Mexico is understandable when you consider that they represented a polyglot region, and that their readers were largely immigrants, including Catholics. The rest of the country would be unlikely to share their perspective that non-Anglo-Saxons (and Catholics at that) could make good US citizens...

Support in the Senate extended into, at the least, Texas and Mississippi in the South and much of the North already.

(2) I do not deny that some southerners wanted more accessions and even hoped that slavery could spread there. But saying "In addition to what we got under Trist's treaty, I want Coahuila and Tamaulipas and Nuevo Leon" is very different from saying "I want all Mexico."

Sure, but given the realities of the situation on the ground I don't see that as necessarily possible; the Mexican Government seems to have adopted a position in that it was either IOTL concession or all of it, and Trist seems to have been of this thought as well. I get the impression you're angling after what Jeff Davis and others did after the Treaty arrived in Washington as far as pushing for more, but that was a last ditch effort rather than a sum total of what they wanted in the entirety.

(3) On the subject of the likelihood that some of the northern Mexican states, if incorporated into the US, could support slavery: Noel Mauer (who has considerable knowledge of Mexico: see https://business.gwu.edu/noel-maurer for his background) had an interesting blog post on this some years ago:

"We have an example of a populated area switching to American rule. New Mexico had a population about as large as Coahuila's and a little more than half of Nuevo León or Chiahuahua. It provides a perfectly valid template for how those territories would have developed under American rule; with one wrinkle that I'll get to later.

"We also know what American troops experienced during the occupation. Mexican politicians in the D.F. were horrified at the level of indifference, shading over in many cases -- not least Nuevo León -- outright collaboration.

"The wrinkle, which would make Coahuila and Nuevo León different from New Mexico, is that the elites in the northeastern states actively desired American annexation and the extension of slavery. We know this because they asked for it! Santiago Vidaurri wrote a letter to Richmond in 1861 volunteering Coahuila and Nuevo León to the Confederate cause. (Vidaurri annexed Coahuila to N.L. and installed himself as the governor of Tamaulipas.)

"These sympathies predated the Civil War. In fact, Vidaurri had been perfectly happy in 1855 to return escaped slaves to Texas. The agreement failed because the Texans wanted to send in their own people to recapture the escapees, not principled opposition; ironically, he made a whole bunch of antislavery proclamations in 1857, only to reverse them and start sending slaves home in 1858. It is hard to believe that Vidaurri or the elites that supported him would have opposed slavery, given their opportunism and their incessant complaints about labor shortages..." http://noelmaurer.typepad.com/aab/2014/10/what-would-lesser-mexico-have-been-like.html

Speaking of Noel, I'm reminded of another post he made some years ago:

Noel wrote:
> ---Hell, while I'm here:
>
> A 1991 poll by the magazine Este País showed, to the
> astonishment of the organizers, that 59 percent of
> respondents would be in favor of forming a single
> country with the United States if it resulted in
> an improvement in their standard of living.
>
> So don't be so sure about the strength of Mexican
> nationalism. There is a film of anti-Americanism
> in the middle class. It is loud, and it causes
> Mexican presidents to tread carefully. But it
> does not run very deep.

(4) In any event, with or without "All Mexico," extension of the Missouri Compromise line to the Pacific was a very pro-southern solution to the slavery-in-the-territories problem. Hardly anyone expected slavery to flourish north of that line, while protecting slavery south of that line could set a precedent for future acquisitions in Mexico (if not all of it were taken at once), Central America, Caribbean islands, and anything down to Tierra del Fuego... (No wonder that even southerners who believed in principle that the federal government had a duty to protect slavery in all territories were nevertheless willing to accept extension of the Missouri Compromise line as an acceptable "compromise"!)

Indeed, but I'm not seeing that as a definitive mark against it given the Free Soiler outlook of most Northerners and the reality of Empire that would exist in an All Mexico situation.

(5) Don't equate slavery with cotton--many southerners hoped (and northerners feared) that slave labor could also be used for mining. That's another reason why a lot of people both north and south did not regard the slavery extension debate as a mere abstraction.

Was not my intention, merely illustrating that the most obvious example of slavery could be extended into Mexico.

First, my apologies in just now seeing this.

My more recent thoughts are at https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/ahc-more-hispanic-usa.466652/page-3#post-19080726

BTW, one thing I learned since that last post: even Lewis Cass, often listed as an all-Mexico man, never actually called explicitly for the annexation of all Mexico. From January 10, 1848:

MR. CASS. I hope that the Executive will say, in so many words, that its object is, in any circumstance, to conquer Mexico.
MR. MANGUM (in his seat). To conquer Mexico?
MR. CASS. I repeat, to conquer Mexico.
SEVERAL SENATORS. The whole?
MR. CASS. The whole, but not to hold it all. [my emphasis--DT]

https://books.google.com/books?id=XlQHi_dJyRUC&pg=PA171

Deleted member 67076

Another question would be the fate of Central America and the Caribbean - instead of banana republics we might have a US stretching to Darien
If the US tries to conquer them France and Britain would intervene in reaction. There was a genuine fear of US over expansion by the British and French in the wake of the Mexican American War, and many a diplomatic crisis arrived from that. Furthermore, Central America was seen as the Brit's backyard during this time period (hence the necessity Clayton-Bulwer treaty, though that is definitely getting butterflied away here).

short of Rugby replacing American Football from the beginning
Don't see why that's impossible, if the annexation is in the right era.

Dubious about cricket, though, even given baseball only has about 10min of actual play in a 3h game.:rolleyes:

In ref takeover of Caribbean territory, I wonder about British/French reaction if its a purely voluntary matter. Don't forget, the Dominican Republic, Cuba, & elsewhere asked for annexation, & were turned down.

Last edited:
My more recent thoughts are at https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/ahc-more-hispanic-usa.466652/page-3#post-19080726

BTW, one thing I learned since that last post: even Lewis Cass, often listed as an all-Mexico man, never actually called explicitly for the annexation of all Mexico. From January 10, 1848:

MR. CASS. I hope that the Executive will say, in so many words, that its object is, in any circumstance, to conquer Mexico.
MR. MANGUM (in his seat). To conquer Mexico?
MR. CASS. I repeat, to conquer Mexico.
SEVERAL SENATORS. The whole?
MR. CASS. The whole, but not to hold it all. [my emphasis--DT]

https://books.google.com/books?id=XlQHi_dJyRUC&pg=PA171

I indeed saw that one, but given it was a Post-1900 thread I didn't want to get into an extended debate there. Suffice to say, I kinda feel like Merk is strawmanning Fuller, especially in several key points; Fuller in particular takes pains, especially in the closing to explain that his argument was that the momentum was shifting in the direction of his assertion, not that it already had reached culmination; basically the war probably would drag on for a few more months by which point the Mexican government would likely collapse while sentiment within the United States would've shifted in favor of All Mexico.

Last edited:

Lusitania

Donor
I always wonder if instead of African American President we would of had Latino president addressing the US in its majority working language Spanish.

Foxx

Banned
First and foremost in my mind is that the Civil War is likely averted, as the Missouri Compromise line can be easily extended to the Pacific with minimal fuss.
You're joking, right? The North would allow slavery to expand into all of Mexico? Yeah, not happening.

You're joking, right? The North would allow slavery to expand into all of Mexico? Yeah, not happening.

I don't foresee slavery extending into all of Mexico anyway; the center is far too populated and the southern areas are not suited to it (Plus, Native Mayans would have a thing to say about it via armed rebellion). In Northern Mexico, however, it could definitely be established.

Deleted member 109224

It seems like a weird assumption to think that Mexico would have the same population growth rate as OTL.

In 1900 Mexico had 13.6 million people. Today it has 126.6 million.
In 1900 the United States had 76 million people. Today it has 328 million.
There are 36.7 Mexican-Americans. So I suppose one could say there are 163.3 million persons of Mexican heritage today in the US and Mexico. With a PoD going back to 1848, I would imagine things would go a bit differently.

Also, if Mexico is part of the US then I would expect a much earlier weakening of the Catholic Church. Expect a large number of protestant missionaries running schools in English in Mexico (aka the far south).

Plus there's the matter of how even today, some 10-15% of Mexicans can't speak Spanish.

The Mexican North (Chiahuahua, Coahuila, etc) would probably have a history similar to the OTL US Southwest. English language takeover, mixed Anglo-Spanish culture, cowboys, a libertarianish western spirit, etc etc.

Yucatan tried to join the US OTL. I don't think there'd be a big issue there in terms of Americanization.

The big question is the Mexican core: Veracruz, Mexico City, the Valley of Mexico, and the immediate environs of that area. That will likely be the most culturally resistant part of Mexico to the United States.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxx

Banned
I don't foresee slavery extending into all of Mexico anyway; the center is far too populated and the southern areas are not suited to it (Plus, Native Mayans would have a thing to say about it via armed rebellion). In Northern Mexico, however, it could definitely be established.
And the North would be unlikely to either support or allow that.

It seems like a weird assumption to think that Mexico would have the same population growth rate as OTL.

In 1900 Mexico had 13.6 million people. Today it has 126.6 million.
In 1900 the United States had 76 million people. Today it has 328 million.
There are 36.7 Mexican-Americans. So I suppose one could say there are 163.3 million persons of Mexican heritage today in the US and Mexico. With a PoD going back to 1848, I would imagine things would go a bit differently.

Also, if Mexico is part of the US then I would expect a much earlier weakening of the Catholic Church. Expect a large number of protestant missionaries running schools in English in Mexico (aka the far south).

Plus there's the matter of how even today, some 10-15% of Mexicans can't speak Spanish.

The Mexican North (Chiahuahua, Coahuila, etc) would probably have a history similar to the OTL US Southwest. English language takeover, mixed Anglo-Spanish culture, cowboys, a libertarianish western spirit, etc etc.

Yucatan tried to join the US OTL. I don't think there'd be a big issue there in terms of Americanization.

The big question is the Mexican core: Veracruz, Mexico City, the Valley of Mexico, and the immediate environs of that area. That will likely be the most culturally resistant part of Mexico to the United States.
How does adding tens of millions of Catholics to the US somehow make the Catholic church less powerful in the US?

You seem to be assuming that the US would treat Mexico as if it were a colonial possession or something. It has so many people that it would basically be Quebec.

Deleted member 109224

How does adding tens of millions of Catholics to the US somehow make the Catholic church less powerful in the US?

You seem to be assuming that the US would treat Mexico as if it were a colonial possession or something. It has so many people that it would basically be Quebec.

I'm not assuming that the US would treat Mexico as if it were a colonial possession. Religious groups create schools in the US proper just as they do abroad. And if Anglo Protestants are setting up schools, they're likely going to be doing so in English. That's what they did in the US when it came to trying to win over new immigrants.

And adding tens of millions of catholics to the US strengthens the Church in the US as a whole. But a bunch of Americans going down to Mexico writ-large and promoting protestantism AND a US constitution that forbids there being an official religion (the Catholic Church being the official religion in Mexico in the 19th Century) would mean a much weaker catholic church in Mexico.

And Mexico didn't reach 10 million until ~1880. There were perhaps 7 million Mexicans in 1849. The US had 23 million in 1850, so Mexico would be about 23% of the US overall. A hefty amount for sure ... and actually about the same percentage as Quebec is to Canada.

As another matter, I wonder how Mexico would integrate into US politics. The traditionalist Conservatives probably would be more comfortable with the Democrats and the liberals like Juarez would probably be Whigs and Republicans.

As far as slavery goes, maybe 36-30 is extended to the pacific, but another line is established at the Tropic of Cancer with slavery banned south of that line.

I indeed saw that one, but given it was a Post-1900 thread I didn't want to get into an extended debate there. Suffice to say, I kinda feel like Merk is strawmanning Fuller, especially in several key points; Fuller in particular takes pains, especially in the closing to explain that his argument was that the momentum was shifting in the direction of his assertion, not that it already had reached culmination; basically the war probably would drag on for a few more months by which point the Mexican government would likely collapse while sentiment within the United States would've shifted in favor of All Mexico.

The Whigs and Calhounites and at least some moderate Democrats would not have accepted All Mexico and they certainly had enough votes in the House to stop it. And even if there was no Mexican government willing to make territorial concessions satisfactory to the US, there is an obvious alternative to All Mexico (suggested indeed by Calhoun): the US should simply withdraw to an easily defensible line instead of trying to occupy all of Mexico. The line thus unilaterally drawn would give the US the Rio Grande border in Texas and would also give it NM and California and maybe Baja California as well. It would not matter whether Mexico recognized this border because it simply could not reconquer the lost territories. True, there might still be scattered guerrilla resistance but there would be far more guerrilla resistance to All Mexico...

But it's really unlikely that either of these two alternatives would be necessary. Indeed, Daniel Walker Howe suggests that Polk may secretly have wanted to give Trist a chance:

"Historians have overwhelmingly concluded that Trist made a courageous and justified decision in defying his orders and remaining to secure a peace treaty. Even Justin Smith, Polk’s strongest defender among historians, called Trist’s decision the right one, and “a truly noble act.”38 There is a strong parallel (though one not often remarked) between Polk’s resolution of the Oregon Question and that of the U.S.-Mexican War. In both cases the president made extravagant demands but unhesitatingly accepted a realistic and advantageous solution when offered it. In the case of Oregon, he probably had planned the outcome all along; probably not in the case of Mexico. Yet it is interesting that Polk waited twelve days after receiving news of Trist’s defiance before sending an order off to Mexico to abort whatever negotiations he might have under way. Perhaps the president secretly felt willing to give Trist a chance, provided the administration did not bear responsibility for the negotiations.39 Indeed, Polk had earlier confided to his diary the thought that he would not mind if Moses Beach exceeded his instructions and obtained a peace treaty. “Should he do so, and it is a good one, I will waive his authority to make it, and submit it to the Senate.”40

"Even though the treaty represented the work of a man who defied him, it embodied the objectives for which Polk had gone to war..." https://books.google.com/books?id=jewRDAAAQBAJ&pg=PA808