TL-191: After the End

I decided to do a map on this thing but I'm uncertain about it's accuracy.
What needs to be fixed?

TL 191 After the end 1961.png

I decided to do a map on this thing but I'm uncertain about it's accuracy.
What needs to be fixed?

Tibet and Morocco should be independent.

Sudan, Egypt, Azerbaijan, and Chechneya should be marked as Ottoman puppet states.

Japan should have Manchuria as a puppet state.

Germany should have all of former French Equatorial Africa.

Other than that good job. Much appreciated! :)

Here's the fixed version, according to wikipedia French Equatorial Africa includes all the territory I gave Germany in the first map.

TL 191 After the end 1961.png

Here's the fixed version, according to wikipedia French Equatorial Africa includes all the territory I gave Germany in the first map.
Oooh, nice... do we know what happened to India? I guess not, and that's why you've left it blank... since I gave upon the series at The Victorious Opposition (I think, the one that ends in '41), I don't really know other than from wiki and other summaries. And what people post on this board... :)

Oooh, nice... do we know what happened to India? I guess not, and that's why you've left it blank... since I gave upon the series at The Victorious Opposition (I think, the one that ends in '41), I don't really know other than from wiki and other summaries. And what people post on this board... :)

Last we heard of British India it was speculated by some in America that Japan was on the verge of invading it when its Hawaiian fleet mysteriously disappeared from US waters.

Last we heard of British India it was speculated by some in America that Japan was on the verge of invading it when its Hawaiian fleet mysteriously disappeared from US waters.
Ah... is it just me, or does the TL-191 US never seem to know what's going on anywhere else? It's always vague speculation, rather than intelligence reports...

Ah... is it just me, or does the TL-191 US never seem to know what's going on anywhere else? It's always vague speculation, rather than intelligence reports...

Well, that's not necessarily true. The U.S. does know what's going on...the papers just usually tend to be biased in some fashion or another. Unfortunately, as most of our characters seem to be unintelligent morons, none seem to be able to give us accurate depictions. :D It's also a good reason for why the O.S.S. (this TL's CIA) was formed: to actually know what the hell's going on in other places of the world.

As for India, I believe it's currently divided into the following countries: the State of Sri Lanka, the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, the State of Hyderabad (central India?), the Republic of Bengali (parts of eastern OTL India/Bangladesh), the Republic of Bharat (the remains of what is in OTL modern India; might also include Maldives). Bhutan and Nepal are also independent countries.

A good depiction of the Republic of Bengali's borders is probably this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Location-Bangla01.png

Last edited:
the State of Sri Lanka, the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, the State of Hyderabad (central India?), the Republic of Bengali (parts of eastern OTL India/Bangladesh), the Republic of Bharat (the remains of what is in OTL modern India; might also include Maldives). Bhutan and Nepal are also independent countries.

Wit the rajahs having an opportunity to throw off British rule in a disorderly fashion and become independent, I doubt that there will be many republics. Also with large numbers of Sikhs under arms they could carve out their own state. Expect some serious fighting until things settle down.

When/how did the US end up with Alaska in this timeline? I doubt Seward was in a position to push for purchasing the territory after a Union defeat in the Civil War, and the Russians wouldn't have sold Alaska to an enemy power at any price.

When/how did the US end up with Alaska in this timeline? I doubt Seward was in a position to push for purchasing the territory after a Union defeat in the Civil War, and the Russians wouldn't have sold Alaska to an enemy power at any price.

Maybe the United States used the confision after won the third civil war to invade Alaska??

According to David, Alaska was taken over sometime in 1948 away from Russia. President Dewey launched Operation: Husky (with Russia distracted in a turf war with Japan that will last until 1951), and we took it over, albeit with some stiff pockets of resistance.

Hard to imagine Alaska offering stiff pockets of resistance and if the typical Russian had to choose between Japan and the US...

So Italy stayed neutral in both world wars? Their economy will be in very nice shape although I would think they might pick up a colony or two at the expense of England or France, either in payment of debts or as a reward by the victorious Germans to keep them friendly neutrals.

The Ottomans have surely absorbed the entire Arabian Pennsula, no nonsense about Saudi Arabia in this world.

The idea of the two largest colonial empires in the world arming guerrilla activity always struck me as demented on Turtledove's part. It would be only too obvious to London and Paris how Berlin would respond. In OTL it took @300,000(!) French and Spanish troops to fight the Rif War in the late 1920s. AFTER this WWII there would be literally mountains of outdated arms lying around so something might get going.

On that basis Morocco is probably independent and possibly larger than OTL.

I don't see why we should assume Japan can successfully invade Siberia. One carrier down and they abandon the war with the US yet it is not clear Japan can overwhelm the crippled British Empire or Australia so how well they can do against Russia on the mainland, especially since the US is much less friendly towards Tokyo than Moscow/St Petersburg...forget it. My contempt for how Turtledove couldn't credibly portray Japan in the series is well known.

Does anyone know what happened to Confederate Vice President Donald Partridge? I don't recall any mention of him after the surrender. Would he have been tried and executed?

I think Congresswoman Blackford summed it up best of all; that Don Partridge "was a smiling, brainless twit." Personally, he would've been interrogated, but as for putting him on trial, that's doubtful. He was a nonentity as far as Jake Featherston was concerned, other that he needed a VP who wasn't a threat to him personally or politically, especially after Willy Knight tried to kill Jake. He needed someone who was completely docile and would obey Jake's orders without hesitation. The only other thing that happens to him is that Partridge becomes known both as the last President of the CSA, and the one with the shortest tenure in office.

Does anyone know what happened to Confederate Vice President Donald Partridge? I don't recall any mention of him after the surrender. Would he have been tried and executed?

If he was as powerless and useless as Featherston and Potter made him out to be (though he proved to be not as meek and inoffensive once his boss was gone), then Partridge probably got out with a slap on the wrist.

Let's hope he does the American thing and exploit this freedom to become filthy rich detailing how he bravely led the Confederacy in its death-throes.

Let's hope he does the American thing and exploit this freedom to become filthy rich detailing how he bravely led the Confederacy in its death-throes.

If his bitter comments to Morrell after being placed under arrest was any indicator...well, some stories WILL get bought, and being at the top levels of government in the Featherstonian CSA might well sell, even if Potter's doing the same thing.

If his bitter comments to Morrell after being placed under arrest was any indicator...well, some stories WILL get bought, and being at the top levels of government in the Featherstonian CSA might well sell, even if Potter's doing the same thing.

Not unlike what Speer and Doenitz did in OTL...they came off as either the least of the bad guys (Speer) or good guys in a bad cause (Doenitz, whose first and only act as Fuhrer was to announce Germany's surrender) and cashed in after the war was over and they did their time. Speer in particular played heavily on being 'the good Nazi' (i.e., the only one to appear publicly repentant after the war).

Needless to say, the intelligence apparatus of the TL-191 USA will be keeping a close eye on Partridge and Potter. Potter's dangerous enough to perhaps warrant a nasty traffic accident at some point in the future. ;)