Twilight of the Red Tsar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how ITTL Russians will treat Stalin.

If Russia's government remains a sane and competent one, then here is what they might do.

OTL, John Oliver dug up Trump's family history, and discovered the Trump family name was originally "Drumpf." To Oliver, the reason why Trump was getting ahead despite his wretched behavior was that the name "Trump" was pretty much synonymous with wealth and power. Calling Donald "Drumpf" would, to Oliver, weaken the image of strength and show off the reality behind Trump's glowing image.

TTL, I imagine Russians refer to Stalin by his birth name "Dzhugashvili". The main purpose of this, IMHO, would be to distance themselves from Stalin by emphasizing his Georgian heritage. But another idea is that helps destroy the "Man of Steel" myth people might have about him.

"Stalin" means "man of steel" in Russian. But by calling him by his birthname, ITTL Russian authorities can weaken the myth about Stalin being "strong".

ITTL Russians won't learn about Joseph Stalin, the Man of Steel who beat back the Nazis. No, they'll learn about Iosif Dzhugashvili, the manipulative, sickly, serial killer who murdered all his comrades and betrayed his followers.

Imagine an ITTL Russian visiting OTL Russia and seeing people praise the madman. They might be stunned, if not horrified, to see a Russia that celebrates Stalin.

If Russia's government remains a sane and competent one, then here is what they might do.

OTL, John Oliver dug up Trump's family history, and discovered the Trump family name was originally "Drumpf." To Oliver, the reason why Trump was getting ahead despite his wretched behavior was that the name "Trump" was pretty much synonymous with wealth and power. Calling Donald "Drumpf" would, to Oliver, weaken the image of strength and show off the reality behind Trump's glowing image.

TTL, I imagine Russians refer to Stalin by his birth name "Dzhugashvili". The main purpose of this, IMHO, would be to distance themselves from Stalin by emphasizing his Georgian heritage. But another idea is that helps destroy the "Man of Steel" myth people might have about him.

"Stalin" means "man of steel" in Russian. But by calling him by his birthname, ITTL Russian authorities can weaken the myth about Stalin being "strong".

ITTL Russians won't learn about Joseph Stalin, the Man of Steel who beat back the Nazis. No, they'll learn about Iosif Dzhugashvili, the manipulative, sickly, serial killer who murdered all his comrades and betrayed his followers.

Imagine an ITTL Russian visiting OTL Russia and seeing people praise the madman. They might be stunned, if not horrified, to see a Russia that celebrates Stalin.
*snicker* As if teh "Drumpf" is somehow a mass murderer on par with Stalin (both IOTL and ITTL; and I know some will bring up issues related to him but I'm not in the mood to debate them here). Anyway, I'm not sure if Russians will refer to him as his birth name since it sounds pretty hard to pronounce; the Germans didn't have to resort to Hitler's other name so why bother having Russians use Stalin's other name?

That'd be a fun little vignette to read.

Would this person find this phenomena somewhat understandable: OTL Stalin died in 1953, before he could do the things that made him the most evil person ever. Also, the OTL collapse led to the loss of territory, the decline of economic living standards, a corrupt drunk running the country, etc.

*snicker* As if teh "Drumpf" is somehow a mass murderer on par with Stalin (both IOTL and ITTL; and I know some will bring up issues related to him but I'm not in the mood to debate them here). Anyway, I'm not sure if Russians will refer to him as his birth name since it sounds pretty hard to pronounce; the Germans didn't have to resort to Hitler's other name so why bother having Russians use Stalin's other name?

The idea is that by calling someone by their original name, it weakens the myth surrounding them.

Stalin is name associated with "strength" and "power" in Russia.

The name "Dzhugashvili" isn't.

By calling Stalin by his birth name, it is easier to remove the myth and expose the man for what he really was.

Stalin was the strong leader who made Russia into an industrial power, beat the Nazis and the Chinese, and was the heir to Lenin.

Dzhugashvili is the demented Georgian who used trickery to get to power, starved millions of people, slaughtered his comrades, committed numerous acts of genocide, named a serial rapist and murderer as his policeman, backstabbed the Spanish Republicans, worked with the Nazis to carve up Poland, ill-prepared for a Nazi invasion, shot retreating soldiers, broke his promises at Yalta, committed genocide against the Jews, slaughtered Caucasus and Baltic peoples, ground China into dust.

By calling him Dzhugashvili, it makes it easier to not worship Stalin and see him for the petty, diseased little shit he really was.

One coda that drops an additional bit of tragedy on this mountain? It will be decades at best before a known Georgian rises to high position in Russia on a national level.

One coda that drops an additional bit of tragedy on this mountain? It will be decades at best before a known Georgian rises to high position in Russia on a national level.

So could people be outright racist toward Georgians, blaming Stalin's lunacy on his Caucasus background?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Thou shall NOT bring current politics outside of Chat.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor

Why, pray tell, did you think it was a good idea to bring the current POTUS into this thread?

Such a glorious timeline. And when the last post came? Well, still sixty babes of comments to go. I only read through the index, but when I thought about Palestinians I found there was mention in the spread about the place. Reminds me of with Rowling, of how she would reveal so much in the way of small things in interviews. Does Napoleon IV by chance ever mention some of the ASSRs being outright dissolved? The sort of thing I would like to see a map about, though I know it is unlikely people will do it. It would only be in a couple small areas anyways. Hmmm. things would have been so much fun around Ingria with all the shattered Finno-Urlic groups around. Not because if all this mind you, but apparently some got real screwed over during WWII due to all the battles there. Imagine though, Novgorod or St. Petersburg as the capital of Russia... And now I am hungry for more timelines like this.

Ahhh, and a question to everyone. Did people in this world think at some point that the Soviets had successfully killed off all Jews in their country?

Status
Not open for further replies.