Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
England, England

iIB1GGL.jpg

Posted this briefly in the map briefly in the MoTF thread, before deciding that it probably wasn't entirely compliant with the rules of this fortnight’s competition for a couple of reasons: firstly, it doesn’t show a country “abandoning Big Ben” so much as taking Big Ben and leaving most of the people in place; secondly, I can’t claim originality in the slightest – this map’s based entirely off the wonderful ‘England, England’ by Julian Barnes.
I know it's based on a book and all, but this would make a great map series. You could transform Long Island into mini-America, or Corsica into mini-France, or Taiwan into mini-China, or Okinawa into mini-Japan.

It really is fantastic, isn't it? You're absolutely right that the last part's particularly good: almost Spenglerian in its description of an England that's basically only made up of fellaheen at this point in the book, and its comparison of the culture that they're in the process of creating with the faintly ridiculous version just across the Solent. I first read the book in 2012 in the run-up to the Olympic opening ceremony, which seems particularly appropriate in hindsight...

Amusing, but I don't really think you could fit tens of millions of people onto the Isle of Wight and still have a workable Merry England experience. Or do the majority move to America or something? (I know I shouldn't take the premise seriously, but you really need to take a _lot_ of people out of England to make it into an underpopulated peasant nation)

Amusing, but I don't really think you could fit tens of millions of people onto the Isle of Wight and still have a workable Merry England experience. Or do the majority move to America or something? (I know I shouldn't take the premise seriously, but you really need to take a _lot_ of people out of England to make it into an underpopulated peasant nation)

Clearly, the worker tenements are underground in the Morlocks area of the HG Wells Zone. Reserve 100 square meters per person and stack them into 15 levels or so underground, then hide the elevators in prop buildings. Easy-peasy.

Skallagrim

Banned
Out of curiosity: why use the word "felaheen" instead of just "peasants"?

Got it from Spengler by way of Jack Kerouac. Broadly speaking, they both seem to use it to describe people who've shed any connection with "high culture" or history, in favour of organic and unconscious development of a collective culture: it seems appropriate in light of what happens at the end of the book.

Precisely this. Spengler gets it from Egypt, using the term because he saw the late history of classical Egypt as the typical example. Successive foreign elites (Persian, Greek, Roman...) or their native lackeys, increasingly losing any and all connection to the old high culture of their country. Only in the habits and folk traditions of the peasants did "old Egypt" live on in some way, and -- just as @XTrapnel writes -- only in an unconscious way (i.e. "folkways").

Clearly, the worker tenements are underground in the Morlocks area of the HG Wells Zone. Reserve 100 square meters per person and stack them into 15 levels or so underground, then hide the elevators in prop buildings. Easy-peasy.
Or perhaps they're underground living in fear of Big Brother and working with talking Communist farm animals in the George Orwell Zone.

If I recall the book correctly, most of England's left for Europe or America by the end - almost no-one lives on the Isle of Wight permanently.

Got another pair of Crumpleverse Neoclassicism pages, which I'm only posting together because they make better sense as a pair. If I get any sections of this which don't have maps at all, I'll post them in a separate thread because otherwise that's just being lame.

Final contrasts to the previous planet founded with such intent, Delphi. The latter had access to riches (even if their aims still exceeded their means) and more than anything wanted to recreate the look and feel of a past society they admired. Final, by contrast, was much more of a straightforward colony in its material culture (at least at first) and was created for cultures historically subject to minority status, and/or disenfranchised. In intent, at least, the cultural and linguistic revival was much more the point than any attempt to make things look like 17th century Ireland or Scotland.

NB: Erse is a very archaic word in our current language, and historically had ambiguous use referring to either Irish or Scottish Gaelic. This revival of the word on Final presumes that people got tired of using the term 'Scottish Gaelic' just as much as modern Irish folks have gotten fed up of people calling Irish 'Gaelic', and so revived an old term to fill the gap. 'Scottish' would be a bit disputed by Scottish English and Scots speakers, to say the least.

Final's description here mentions settlement by folks from Scotland and Ireland, but that by itself doesn't mean they're all going to be Gaelic speakers or particularly committed to a cultural revival if you're used to a 22nd century standard of urban living, this is part of why the intellectual forefathers of the colony had such a hard time getting a version of their revival to impact on a cultural level. Not to mention a number of the colonists were neither Irish nor Scottish, and some who were had never lived in Ireland or Scotland, adding to the number of different communities and assumptions taken onto the planet.

To elaborate on some of the different cultures mentioned in the graphic, or hinted at by the language family map, the Inglis live in North-eastern Alaba, which was historically home to most of those colonists descended from Scots. The Inglis are descendants of English speaking Scots, and the Modern Inglis language is not dissimilar to modern English- a fundamentally Gaelic language that's nonetheless heavily influenced by English spelling, loanwords, and some grammar. The Inglis tend to have Gaelic surnames but English personal names still mostly recognisable to a present day English speaker.

The Ceilta are not referred to in the graphic directly. They began as the neo-polytheist revival moment on Final referred to early on, which didn't have much luck when it came to persuading the general population to join in. But the Ceilta have always freely interacted with the Finalborn of other faiths, and are considered part of the planet's tapestry of differences. They may never have grown very large but they've solidified into a distinct culture with a proud, almost six hundred year old continuous heritage of practice. The specific environment of Final and that long a history of worship have changed the Ceilta's practices, and their mission statement. Ceilta is now both a spiritual and cultural movement, aiming to create a pan-Celtic culture suitable for interstellar human society, and their attempt to spread has reached far beyond Final; as of the 28th century it's now estimated there are more Ceilta living in other solar systems than there are on Final.

ddcsp8i-6c291ddb-8c4e-4f98-b058-212e39c37775.png

England, England

iIB1GGL.jpg

Posted this briefly in the map briefly in the MoTF thread, before deciding that it probably wasn't entirely compliant with the rules of this fortnight’s competition for a couple of reasons: firstly, it doesn’t show a country “abandoning Big Ben” so much as taking Big Ben and leaving most of the people in place; secondly, I can’t claim originality in the slightest – this map’s based entirely off the wonderful ‘England, England’ by Julian Barnes.

The book (which is genuinely one of the funniest things I’ve ever read, and is well worth picking up if you can find a copy) is about a multibillionaire who buys the Isle of Wight from the British government to turn it into an enormous theme park containing everything that tourists consider to be British in a single easily-traversable area (carefully selected and edited to ensure that visitors to the theme park are never confronted with anything that could upset them or challenge their preconceptions). Throughout the course of the novel, the billionaire manages to convince the Royal Family and Parliament to relocate to the Isle of Wight, multinationals increasingly move to the island (attracted by a favourable tax regime) and the theme park’s “capital” of New London ultimately becomes the de facto capital of the United Kingdom’s successor state, ‘England, England’, while Scotland, Northern Island and Wales achieve independence and the rump English state devolves into an underpopulated, undeveloped rural backwater (if a vastly more pleasant place to live than ‘England, England’).

A promotional flyer created in the initial stages of the project is set out above.

It's a great map, and indeed a wonderful book. The quote above hints at my very favourite element of the story: that the "theme park version" of the country intends to invoke all the "merry old England" tropes, but acually causes the real England to revert into something closer to a real-world version of that (quasi-)historical idea. That is: it gradually starts resembling something closer to Anglo-Saxon England again!

I know it's based on a book and all, but this would make a great map series. You could transform Long Island into mini-America, or Corsica into mini-France, or Taiwan into mini-China, or Okinawa into mini-Japan.

I love this myself and it is most definitely more unique. Would there be a Lt. Colonel at Waterloo? Or Murder Mystery with Holmes?

Yes, that is probably the biggest irony. England, England becomes a British ship in the bottle while England itself goes back to the way it started out: A lot of petty, small, and unimportant tribes.

You really gotta feel pity for the English people that live overseas now in America/Canada, and Europe.

For Places like America, you could get away with a whole state instead of a island, four for North, South, East, and West even if you where to go that way. Not a island, sure, but all the same.

Italy: Sicily.

Egypt: Alexandria/Neil Delta.

Honestly, instead of a Chinese collapse scenario bringing back the dynastic system, I think a far-future scenario where the PRC institutes a hereditary system directly would be much more interesting, and less explored.

Also, why no Laos?
I wanted to make a map where multiple countries became imperialist (specifically, china, georgia, Thailand, turkey, and brazil) which is why Thailand has laos and Cambodia

Status
Not open for further replies.