Maximilian's legacy: Interwar and Post World War 2

It depends on where they are:

In South Africa and Rhodesia, The Mexican governor-general let the white minority rule over the African majority with apartheid. After the Zulu rebellion in 1918 that's when the Mexican governor-general had to step in and force the Boers to lift back some of the apartheid.

In Mexican Sahara and Southwest Africa it's completely under the control of the governor-general because after two wars against the Arabs there's no way they going to let them keep their religion or language.

In Mexican Somaliland it's more a laissez faire attitude by letting the local sultans keep control but have to answer to the governor-general

In The Raj and former Formosa it was different with Formosa being the first Mexican colony the locals had privileges that not many in most Asian colonies had: the locals were given wages to work, allowed to keep their language, culture, and religion as Spanish and Catholicism was not enforced. The Formosans were given a education and they were treated equally with other Mexicans. While it wasn't perfect it was definitely better than the Japanese style. As for the Mexican parts of the Raj it was a major improvement over the British the princes were able to attain their autonomy, Indian culture resurged and better when famines strike India Mexico fully helped in delivering food aid.

With this, when it comes to post war decolonization movements, perhaps Mexico can choose the Commonwealth alternative like its British counterpart OTL.

This could make an amazing HOI4 mod
Indeed, although I think George should rewrite this timeline with more details and better expanded sections on the nations with tidbits of more stuff on militaries, societies and economies.

Also to me, the Great War and the WW2 section feels kinda rushed so perhaps a rewrite could improve these arcs abut better.

Decolonization still there, but Mexico can always find a better way to reform its empire into a similar system like the Commonwealth's Westminster System, where the head of state is the monarch but each nations was granted independence and had their own economy, military and goverment. Surely it will lose some colonies later on but in the end, the Multi-national Commonwealth System is definitely worth trying for reforming the Empire into a true democratic entity in Post-War era.

Reasons why it still can happen:
-Bankruptcy, both the Germans and Mexico were exhausted after the war and with colonies becoming more and more expensive to maintain and keeping control, the best way is to grant them independence to save yourself the troubles of governing them.You really cant keep them forever in the long run.
-New wave of progressive democracy ideologies from the US as well as the inspirations for nationalism that the Axis sorta gave them. The Axis ideologies are bad but their noble causes for supporting colonial independence movements are appreciated. This happens OTL with Indonesia
-The US economy now had outgrown other Great Powers in the aftermath, as many of them were still recovering from the war, the US emerged largely unscathed, and furthermore, they were pretty keen on supporting decolonization as well, and they would set off the first example by granting Philippines independence.
-The Ottoman Empire is also weakened badly in the aftermath of the war, so granting indepedence to the Balkan states might save them from the headaches of ethnic nationalism and its powder keg. For the Arab problem, i really dont know as if they let the local Arab rulers to rule their own lands, this might lead to the rise of sectarian Wahabbism so its might be a No-No as the Empire itself is pretty much quite secular and westernized at this point to be sullied by radical Muslim in the Middle East.

For the Post-WW2 cold war, its gonna be between the Monarchism and Republicanism between the German Empire and the United States. The Mexican Empire however, leads the Unaligned Movement as they had many of their allies both as democratic republics (like Ireland) and constitutional monarchies (like Poland). Other than that, my guess for the Danubian Empire is that it might broke up like the Soviet Union OTL due to ethnic nationalism problems and each nations choose to vote its own referendums to stay or leave in a much more peaceful way.

Also, German Empire would have proposed their own continental alliance equivalent to European Union in Post-War era, although how big this alliance is gonna be is up to you to imagine, one thing for sure, it might include the Ottoman Empire in as they had proved themselves to be quite adept at it.

The United States, Dominion of Canada and Second Mexican Empire later on could form their own EU equivalent, the North American Union as their shared economic/political alliance in the post-war period. Although the leader of this union would be rotated around, with representatives from each nation held the position each year instead of having a definite powerhouse leading them as all the three nations are militarily capable and had well-developed economy ITTL.

The rising powerhouses of Post-War era ITTL are likely going to be: China, Second Kingdom of Italy, Dominion of Canada, Commonwealth of Australia and New Zealand, Japan, India.

One thing however, the Dominion of Canada would become part of the new United Kingdom of Great Britain and Canada in the post war, in a similar fashion to Austria-Hungary, the Dominion of Canada would still retain its own government, economy, but their military is the same as the British military in post-war era. The UK would also had two overseas capital of their own, Ottawa and London, while the power of the British Colonial Empire had diminished, the economic boom of the Dominion of Canada, largely untouched by the war improved significantly thanks to the establishment of the Royal government in exile and the massive rapid pre-war industrialization efforts in preparations for retaking their Home Islands.

In the end, losing Ireland perhaps isnt too bad afterall, they gained Canada as part of their new pluricontinental United Kingdom, just like what the former Brazil-Portugal once was. Although for the case of British Commonwealth, things went much smoother and both nations gladly accepted their union as equal sovereign nations, just like the rest of the nations within the Commonwealth like Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong Protectorate.

Also, for a new flag of Post-War Mexican Commonwealth, i suggest we using this, its a way to remember the legacy of the old Spanish Empire as well as the legacy of the Habsburg through the Cross of Burgundy symbolism.
WpAu-ivqBCvxWNUty_A07ZpfUloo3avKfacPG2GhgF4.png

Last edited:
We still havent seen the South American theatre between Argentina/Republic of Brazil and Bolivia alliance vs Mexico yet. This should definitely need to be covered as the 2nd World War TTL reached its 1942 stage.

Other than that, for Argentina, you could have their military being more developed than their OTL counterparts due to the need to fight the Mexican Empire in up North in a defensive war. AFAIK Argentina air forces are more than capable of producing its own domestic military aircrafts.

ITTL perhaps they could also deployed their own jet fighters early with Fascist French and UoB help to gain upper hands in their defense against the Allied Air Raids. For the list of Argentine military aircrafts, i will list them in a separate post.

I understand Argentina and Brazil but why Bolivia? Why do they want to join the Axis and what on Earth would they gain from going to war with Mexico, unless Paraguay was Allied with Mexico and Bolivia wants to get back at Paraguay?
OTL Bolivia did get a lot of german advisers but maybe a way to recover their sea acess?

For the list of Argentine military aircrafts that can be suited for WW2 ITTL.

First one is the Dewoitine D.21 C1, an obsolete parasol monoplane fighter armed with 2xVickers machine guns & 2x7.5mm Darne machine guns. Argentina bought 7 units and a license from France and actually had built additional 58 planes for their Air Force and Navy, making the total number of 65 French type fighters ITTL.
A302826F-163F-4495-9075-5B3DC9E399F3.jpeg 4240C7DC-2788-4542-8BD4-64611FE4868B.jpeg
The type was a match for the Polish PZL. P.11 and PZL P.24 that Mexico were using but inferior to the newer Wildcats and Bf-109T in service with the Mexican fleet.

Secondly, for a more modern monoplane fighter, we have the Hawk 75O, this is a licensed Argentine variant of the US Curtiss P-36 but with fixed gears for simplified construction and maintenance.
0F14F52B-C7FF-42DA-AC7B-275FF7448DD4.jpeg 2AF82448-E9C6-43C7-9FD9-763ECE96BD21.jpeg
This aircraft was slightly better armed, with 3x7.7mm Madsen MGs and 1x11.35mm Madsen MG. It is also faster than the Dewoitine types, capable of 504km/h compared to the D.21 267km/h. 30 were delivered from the US and 20 were locally built in pre-war periods, making the total number into 50 Hawk 75O in service.

Despite the P-36 type good performance, Argentina did not built more than 100 planes mostly because they had a much more ambitious multi-role heavy fighter design in development, which is the third Argentine fighter we will cover now, the I.Ae.30 Nancu, the Argentine equivalent of the British Mosquito.
4CB57885-1B9E-425C-886E-230003EE2A37.jpeg 86CA6426-51F9-46A2-AB21-73B9FB20C261.jpeg
The I.Ae 30 would be a very effective design for a single seat heavy fighter, powered by two supercharged Rolls Royce Merlin engines supplied by the UoB, armed with four Hispano 20mm cannons and is capable of 740km/h pretty much faster than all of the existing Mexican planes. This plane fulfilled every demands for the Argentine Air Force, but its high production cost and demanding maintenance as well as the need to retool Argentine factories for new imported technologies mean the type wont be available until 1943-1944 at best, not to mention the number built would only be around 100~200 at best given Argentina economy at the time.

There is also concern that the Nancu type were not ready for the planned offensive campaigns that the Southern American Fascist Alliance were preparing against Mexican forces. So an interim design is needed, this resulted in the I.Ae.24 Calquin (Royal Eagle). Due to it being an interim design until the Nancu is available in large numbers, only 101 units were produced
8390E264-3F6C-463C-A6CA-53A9403987A7.jpeg 03FA39BD-3A78-4F65-A8F2-A975A79F9DB9.jpeg
The Calquin is also an equivalent of Mosquito but its actually a light bomber and attacker with the less powerful 1,050 hp Pratt & Whitney Twin Wasp engines. In service, the type was appreciated for its durability and decent armaments of four Hispano 20mm cannons but performance wise a deadly aircraft to fly due to its prone to flight instability and slow speed of only 440km/h and poor maneuverability due to underpowered engines. (50 Argentine pilots were killed due to accidents during the Calquin service lifespan OTL).

Lastly, we have the single engine attackers/light bombers. The Argentine Air Force used two types. First is a batch of 16 locally built AeMB1/AeMB2 Bombi light bombers and 30 imported US Douglas A-17 Nomad attackers/fighters.
C3AE9985-F8AC-4117-B6A5-178F997390D0.jpeg C53F300B-F1FB-4099-A357-44ABAE818AD8.jpeg
Both of them are pre-war light bomber designs and thus rather slow and obsolete by the time the war reached the American continent.

On the topic of Argentinian jet fighters, i want to bring this up because the Argentine first jet, the FMA Pulqui I was actually designed by a French engineer Emile Dewoitine so perhaps this plane can served as TTL version of an Argentina’s He-162, advanced jet fighters regarded as wonder weapons that only available in small numbers near the end of the war which did not change much of the deteriorating war situation in Argentina. Its also looks convincing enough to fit into a late-WW2 1st Gen jet design.
FFB01788-B241-418F-B65C-369DBF6B1C79.jpeg

The Pulqui I is also a lot more simple due to being a single engines jet fighter with conventional straight wings as opposed to the British Gloster Meteor twin jet engines design.
E83EDA82-9242-4CE9-AB0E-DCAF0037AC90.jpeg

Given the earlier Argentine industrialization and militarization. I think the Pulqui I earliest entry into service would have to be 1944-1945 as jet technology still need time to mature.
The Pulqui I used British jet engine, armed with 4xHispano cannons, while its not as fast as the later jet designs, however with max speed of 720km/h its still outperformed most of the single piston engined aircrafts in service at the time.
0115D5FB-04FD-4971-BC29-DC37AAB64895.gif

So in short, Argentina will had its own version of “Air Campaign of Defense of the Reich” which consist of massive Entente heavy bombers sorties attempted to bomb Argentina into submission by focusing on cities and strategic industrial areas. Argentina best response to this threat is through the developments of their high performance I.Ae.30 Nancu heavy fighters and the Pulqui.I jet fighters as the most advanced design available in deterring Allied air raids.
E01BBA87-FF5E-41A2-A5A4-DF3E7B846401.jpeg

It also gave TTL Argentina an impression as being technologically ahead of the US, Commonwealth and Mexico due to having their jets earlier than these three but cannot outproduce the combined industrial capabilities of the North American Triple Entente. Just like OTL Nazi Germany and Japan, the Argentinian jets are too little too late to change the outcome of the war.

Mexican and Argentine relations were coming to a breaking point with Mexico trying to break them by doing what Austria-Hungary did to Serbia and issued a ultimatum to Argentina to:
  1. Break all relations with the Axis.
  2. Give up all Axis weapons.
  3. End all hostile actions towards Mexico.
  4. Juan Peron must step down from power .
  5. Argentina must accept the Commonwealth's ownership of the Falklands islands.
It was the last two terms that struck a nerve with Argentina and that was the final straw; on March 13, Juan Peron made an announcement on radio that Mexico and Canada are Argentina's enemies and they want to rip Argentina apart and declared war on the Allies.

This finally gave Mexico the excuse they needed to attack the Argentine Naval dock in Buenos Aires and cripple the Navy long before they can even set sail. On March 15, three Mexican aircraft carriers departed from Mexican Guiana and silently arrived on the 16 at the Rio de la Plata and on the break of dawn on the 18, Mexican modified Stukas took off on 6:30 a.m. and began dive bombing on the Argentine Navy, specifically targeting the aircraft carriers and the Battleships, Argentine planes were desperately trying to scrambled but were cut down by Wildcat fighters, this time unlike the Japanese they wanted to make sure that the Argentine Airforce was destroyed, by 8:30 the planes left and the Argentines thought the attack was over and began trying to put down the flames and save what could be saved, ARA Independencia was now a burning hunk and ARA Veinticinco de Mayo was barely afloat, while for Battleships Libertad was taking in water while Independencia was largely undamaged.
What the Argentines thought that the worse was over was actually going to get a lot worse: because twenty minutes later came the second attack, apparently when the Mexican bombers left it was because they needed to rearm and now they're back. Again the Argentine Airforce was desperately trying to take off and again they were cut down by Wildcats, while the bombers focused all their bombs on threw targets: Independencia, Libertad and the General Belgrano and after the second attack Independencia was no more and Libertad has now been sunk, while the Belgrano was on fire.

View attachment 477646 ARA Independencia
View attachment 477647 General Belgrano

Both before the attack

After the second attack the planes returned back to the carriers and they returned back to Guiana certain that it was mission accomplished. The Battle of Buenos Aires leveled almost all of the Argentine modern ships with only Belgrano being salvaged partly, and this basically eliminated an Argentine attack on the colonies, so much so that Peron had to abandon his join the IJN and fight the Pacific fleet and instead focus on just the Falklands.​
the Argentine also had two WW1 era super dreadnought battleships Moreno and Rivadavia, what happened to them?

Any other questions, concerns, or comments?

Perhaps for Argentine interwar BBs, I think they should be the Italian Roma class, mostly because Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmont dont have the resources to built them so since the two had pretty close relations, they transfer the design to the Argentinians instead. The Italian Roma ITTL would become the Argentinian Libertad instead.
6EC94D16-4EF4-45D6-89CE-098EC51B4D60.jpeg

39E29503-DFF2-4DAB-B896-1EFD7191E10F.jpeg

There are pictures of the Roma sinking after being hit by Fritz X guided bomb, I think you can add it as an image for one of the Argentine Interwar BB sinking at the harbor after being hit by Mexican bombers.

261BB13B-EA06-43D0-8466-82AEA4887FB8.jpeg

What do you think of the Marriage battle in the Chamber and who do you think would be the better candidate?
I actually wanted to see a break up Mexico and Germany and their political fallout after the war with Mexico drifted closer to the Commonwealth and USA sphere. However, i think at this moment they should honor their deal with the Romanians.

I had more suggestions for the Falklands battle.

ITTL, the Commonwealth’s HMS Vanguard would be ready by the time the Invasion of Falklands Island commence. This new Canadian 15inch fast battleship was built to rectify the problem of the HMS Hood poor armor protections while also sporting more advanced radar and FCS with improved AA thanks to the upgrades from their American allies. Although in this case Battle of Falklands would also be Vanguard’s first sortie as the ship has only finished her speed trials earlier.
94467CBF-D2CC-4E60-B623-41CAFDAD7F70.jpeg

5C164001-4933-40D4-B6F2-3EC711BBC499.jpeg

C5E6B919-A34A-427E-8958-31B65C3DD013.jpeg

Other than that, the Commonwealth also had the two slower 24 knts Nelson class battleships, which would definitely fight at Falklands as well. These are interwar Commonwealth ships armed with 16inch guns as response to the US Colorado class and Japanese Nagato class. They are essentially the revised cut-down versions of the Mexican Imperator/G3 class battlecruisers/fast battleship class after Canada sold the design of the G3 to Mexico.
C7E6A830-5E3F-4A5C-A08D-6471080C05A3.jpeg
9BE7DDA7-40BD-4BB9-BCDD-CA45B9425C53.png
F66E5F09-96C0-4B50-A9C4-60035CB8FF65.jpeg

Why would they break up? If anything shouldn't they along with the Danubian Empire, Ottoman Empire, and Spain stay together to try and fight off the decolonization until they finally give in? And I finally planned out the break up of the Danubian Empire.
Mostly because i think Mexico having come to terms with United Kingdom, now realized that their Commonwealth system is a far more effective methods to retain their alliances and governance over their former colonies than keeping direct control of them the usual way like Germany, Ottoman, and Spain did.

Other than that, we need a Late cold war Soviet Union breakup equivalent, so yes, the Danubian Empire definitely is a suitable candidate for thst.

Other than that, the German Empire would definitely formed their own version of European Union earlier after the war while The United Kingdom of Canada and Great Britain alongside Mexican Empire and United States would form their own North American Union in response.

In this case, the German led European Alliance are about unity and a focus on Eurocentrism with moderate liberal and conservative ideologies and preservation of their colonial empires. Whereas the North American Union would championed Republicanism and encourage post war indepedence movements of colonies as well as progressive liberalism.

This whole independent movement and dismantling of colonial empries trend would start off with the US and the UK who had already granted freedom and sovereignty for all of their colonies,followed by Mexican Empire. Mexico was hesitate at first but after realized the good out weight the bad, they did it.
Afterall, a lot of Mexican allies were both republics and monarchies so perhaps going a more democratic route would benefit the Empire more in the long run.

Oh actually im thinking that while the breakup of the Danubian Empire can be the SU break up of TTL, for the Yugoslav break up, the Ottoman Empire is definitely it,although in this case they would still remain firm grips on the Arab nations, its mostly the Orthodox Balkan provinces that they decided to let go mostly due to their volatile and unstable political nature.

For Russian Empire in post-war era, its a pretty wildcard, you can go anywhere with it, either a non alighned nation or a member of German’s continental alliance but the important thing is that later or sooner it will be decolonized into Tsardom of Russia as a more democratic constitutional monarchy in the changing politics of post-war atmosphere.

Mexican and Argentine relations were coming to a breaking point with Mexico trying to break them by doing what Austria-Hungary did to Serbia and issued a ultimatum to Argentina to:
  1. Break all relations with the Axis.
  2. Give up all Axis weapons.
  3. End all hostile actions towards Mexico.
  4. Juan Peron must step down from power .
  5. Argentina must accept the Commonwealth's ownership of the Falklands islands.
It was the last two terms that struck a nerve with Argentina and that was the final straw; on March 13, Juan Peron made an announcement on radio that Mexico and Canada are Argentina's enemies and they want to rip Argentina apart and declared war on the Allies.

This finally gave Mexico the excuse they needed to attack the Argentine Naval dock in Buenos Aires and cripple the Navy long before they can even set sail. On March 15, three Mexican aircraft carriers departed from Mexican Guiana and silently arrived on the 16 at the Rio de la Plata and on the break of dawn on the 18, Mexican modified Stukas took off on 6:30 a.m. and began dive bombing on the Argentine Navy, specifically targeting the aircraft carriers and the Battleships, Argentine planes were desperately trying to scrambled but were cut down by Wildcat fighters, this time unlike the Japanese they wanted to make sure that the Argentine Airforce was destroyed, by 8:30 the planes left and the Argentines thought the attack was over and began trying to put down the flames and save what could be saved, ARA Independencia was now a burning hunk and ARA Veinticinco de Mayo was barely afloat, while for Battleships Libertad was taking in water while Independencia was largely undamaged.
What the Argentines thought that the worse was over was actually going to get a lot worse: because twenty minutes later came the second attack, apparently when the Mexican bombers left it was because they needed to rearm and now they're back. Again the Argentine Airforce was desperately trying to take off and again they were cut down by Wildcats, while the bombers focused all their bombs on threw targets: Independencia, Libertad and the General Belgrano and after the second attack Independencia was no more and Libertad has now been sunk, while the Belgrano was on fire.

View attachment 477646 ARA Independencia
View attachment 477647 General Belgrano

Both before the attack

View attachment 477654 Argentine destroyer destroyed

After the second attack the planes returned back to the carriers and they returned back to Guiana certain that it was mission accomplished. The Battle of Buenos Aires leveled almost all of the Argentine modern ships with only Belgrano being salvaged partly, and this basically eliminated an Argentine attack on the colonies, so much so that Peron had to abandon his join the IJN and fight the Pacific fleet and instead focus on just the Falklands.​

Actually this is supposed to be the pic of one of Argentine interwar battleships based on the Italian Roma design sinking at the harbor, you should definitely correct this mistake, its too large to be a DD.