I am thinking about a chain of restaurants and hotels similar to the Fred Harvey Company that started out on the railroads and moved to the motorways later on the century. So what kind of food do Americans eat? I figure something maybe German or Scandavian, maybe British or something new like Texian (Tex-Mex OTL). Ideas?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Harvey_Company

Here's how I roughly picture Union cuisine that these guys could serve:

Meats: Burgers, hot dogs/brats, schnitzel, beef steak, bison steak, roast chicken, and some game animals and birds. Probably lots of meatloaf and pub style "Sunday Roast" meats. Maybe locations in certain areas like Canada could have specialty items like Elk burgers.

Fish: Given that Alaska is currently Russian, I imagine salmon will be a lot less common on Yankee plates compared to OTL. I'm thinking lots of white fish like halibut, and river fish. Maybe the South/Carolina introduces the Yankees to fried catfish and flounder? Also tons of shellfish. I imagine crab cakes and lobster rolls are going to be especially beloved. Maybe also Unionized Sushi and other exotic seafood dishes from Japan.

Veggies: Sauerkraut, lots of potatoes (mainly mashed or in potato salad), and lots of salads and pickled veggies. Maybe the Union could also embrace things like avocados from Mexico. Roaring 20's avocado toast anyone?

Fruits: I imagine that fresh fruit is going to be a huge thing in Yankeedom. I could see the abundance and variety of fruit in America being used as a propaganda point to illustrate the breadth of American power and prosperity. Maybe this restaurant chain could create "Union Fruit Salad" that boasts fruits from all corners of the nation: grapes from Pacifica, oranges from Florida, Pineapples from the Goodyear Islands, bananas from Grand Panama, and berries and apples from New England.

Drinks: Aside from the ubiquitous Sweet Victory, I figure that lemonade and fruit juices will be the other non-alcoholic beverages. As far as booze, lots of beer and liquors. Gin and tonics could be a Yankee invention to help cope with the Mexican climate. I think scotch could also be fairly popular and replace whiskey in making cocktails. Wine will be less popular than OTL b/c of an association with the French/Papists.

Desserts: Lots of cakes and pies. Maybe Dutch stroopwafel could be popularized by Dutch immigrants. I could see Swedish inspired cakes like Kladdkaka (basically a brownie cake) becoming popular. Also ice cream and ice cream floats.

Here's what I imagine the Confederation's college athletic scene could look like. It's also going to feature the first mention of alt-Dook

The North Carolina Collegiate Athletic Conference (NCCAC)
  • University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill (Chapel Hill, North Carolina)
  • North Carolina State University (Raleigh, North Carolina)
  • Colonel Pierce University (Durham, North Carolina)
  • East North Carolina Technical School (Greenville, North Carolina)
  • University of North Carolina-Asheville (Asheville, North Carolina)
  • Andrew Jackson Agricultural and Technical Institute (Winston-Salem, North Carolina)
  • William Tryon University (Charlotte, North Carolina)
  • Appalachian State University (Polkburg, North Carolina)*
  • West North Carolina Bible and Technical Academy (Cullowhee, North Carolina)
  • University of North Carolina-Newport News (Newport News, North Carolina)
The South Carolina Title Circuit (SCTC)
  • College of Charleston (Charleston, South Carolina)
  • John Calhoun University (Clemson, South Carolina)
  • University of South Carolina (Columbia, South Carolina)
  • Wade Hampton University (Spartanburg, South Carolina)
  • Columbia Agricultural and Technical Institute (Columbia, South Carolina)
  • The Fortress Military Academy (Charleston, South Carolina)
The West Carolina Fisticuffs Association (WCFA)
  • Andrew Jackson State University (Jacksonville, West Carolina)**
  • University of West Carolina (Polktown, West Carolina)
  • Chancellor Polk Military Academy (Polktown, West Carolina)***
  • West Carolina Presbytery and Bible College (Memphis, West Carolina)
  • University of Gatlinburg (Gatlinburg, Tennessee)
  • Chattanooga Technical Academy (Chattanooga, West Carolina)
The Jacksonland Collegiate Athletic League (JCAL)
  • College of New Jacksonville (New Jacksonville, Jacksonland)
  • New Charlotte Bible and Military Academy (New Charlotte, Jacksonland)
  • Presbyterian Bible Institute of Jacksonland (New Charlotte, Jacksonland)
  • Clyde Gibbs Memorial Technical College (New Charleston, Jacksonland)****
*OTL Boone, North Carolina
**OTL Nashville, Tennessee
***OTL Knoxville, Tenesse
****Formerly Chancellor Gamble Technical Institute, renamed after Ambassador Gibbs after the Embassy Massacre as a political move by the Chancellor.

Battle_strike_1934.jpg

Police in Chapel Hill disperse rioters after a Chapel Hill vs. Colonel Pierce rounders game (1926)

efcc0d28cc75b478a8f6feb597ee9204.jpg

Students practice using a Coffee Grinder at New Charlotte Bible and Military Academy (1928).

P081_NTBS3_005714.jpg

Samuel "Swattin Sam" Van der Smoot, UNC's star slugger (1924).

Last edited:
Teaser for another chapter that will be coming soon:

Hark the Sound of Hate-Filled Voices: The Chapel Hill-Colonel Pierce Rivalry

In 1929 we took a little trip
All us Tar Heel boys into the school of Colonel Pierce
We took a little bacon and we took a little beer
And we showed the Damnyankees who they should really fear!

We lynched a few Yanks and set the school to burnin
There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago
The chapel burned up and they began a runnin
And we kept chasin Yankee folk to tell em all hello

We looked across the field and we heard the Yankees come
There must a been hundred of em chanting something dumb
They stepped so high and made their trumpets ring
We stood neath the Moon and Stars and didn't say a thing

We lynched a few Yanks and set the school to burnin
There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago
The chapel burned up and they began a runnin
And we kept chasin Yankee folk to tell em all hello

Our boys ran in and took em by surprise
A riot so bloody we left scarce a Yank alive
Twas then we could see that we had won the day and well
We let out a holler, said "Yankees go to Hell!"

Yeah they ran through the briers and they ran through the brambles
And they ran through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't run
They ran so fast that the hounds couldn't catch 'em
Now we can say that our vengeance has been done

-A song composed by an anonymous UNC student after the Great Rounders Riot of 1929.​

Last edited:
In the Shadow of The Hill: The Secret Societies of UNC Chapel Hill Part I

u-n-c-old-well-calvin-durham.jpg
'
The Old Well, as drawn by UNC student Calvin Luther Roberts on October 11, 1913
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an old and storied institution with many strange and fascinating traditions. However the ones known to the public only begin to scratch the surface of the University's history and life. One can not fully understand Chapel Hill until you learn about the traditions, histories, and ranks of the college's many secret societies.

The Masonic Lodge of Chapel Hill: (1790-Present) (Legal)

History:
The Masonic Lodge of Chapel Hill predates the foundation of UNC-Chapel Hill, first coming into being in 1790. The Masons all fervently backed George Washington, and many members had actually fought at the Battle of Kings Mountain with their fellow North Carolinians. However, as Adams and Hamilton sent the nation into a tailspin the Lodge became a hotbed of anti-Federalist sentiment and would fully support secession. While this political drama was happening, the Lodge was also actively involved in the founding of UNC-Chapel Hill, and the University's first President William Richardson Davie was a member, and would become Grandmaster by 1805. The Lodge was somewhat prominent on campus, and students trying to get a favor from the Chancellor would often agree to join. However, the DiPhi debating society, with its free flow of ideas, lack of hierarchy, and limited intervention from outsiders was initially far more popular. The Cuba War changed all of that. The loss of West Carolina and of thousands of young Cokies, including a fair number of UNC students and alumni, deeply traumatized the nation and the Lodge. President Davie, by this point an old man, took the shock especially hard. His mind seems to have warped somewhat in his final years, and before he died in 1832 he used his immense power over the Lodge to completely change its internal rituals and governing structure. Given that most Lodge members at this point were angry students and veterans looking for a private place to socialize, many of whom were utterly terrified of angering the Grandmaster, these rules became tradition with little fuss. In the aftermath of the Cuba War, crackdowns on public debate helped boost membership in the organization as students looked for a place to discuss politics and business without fear of restriction or harassment. This gradually evolved into the Lodge becoming a key networking society for Cokies on the rise in politics and business. Indeed every North Carolina born Chancellor of the Confederation would wind up being a member of the Lodge, including the Gambles. However, as the Lodge became more married to power it lost its intellectualism, and later openly worked with the OPV to root out dissidents. By the start of the Great War, the Lodge had essentially become a secret and ritualistic country club for the ambitious. It also functioned as a vehicle for the University to influence Cokie politics, as the University President was essentially always the Lodge Grandmaster as well, and could use his powers in that position to influence or coerce politicians even after they left the University.

Hierarchy: The Masonic Lodge of Chapel Hill has a fairly straightforward hierarchy. The Grandmaster is at the top, and he governs with the help of a "Mystical Masonic Council" who aid in running the day to day operations of the lodge. The Grandmaster is traditionally also the President of UNC-Chapel Hill and appoints the Council unilaterally. Former Grandmasters are given the title High Imperial Grandmaster and while having little actual authority, carry a great deal of clout within the Lodge.

Rituals: The Chapel Hill Masonic Lodge has evolved so many bizarre traditions that deviate from Masonic norms that it can hardly be considered a true lodge anymore. New members must go through what is called the "Re-Christening." This is in practice a baptism in the backwoods tradition, involving dunking new members repeatedly into a lake. While this occurs, the Mason is required to repeat the Chapel Hill Masonic Credo which reads as follows "In these waters, I am Re-Christened. I am made a Mason in the eyes of the Grand Architect of the Universe and his Son our Lord. I swear on my honor and life that as a Mason, I shall uphold my faith, my flag, my family, and my school. Should I fail in these endeavors may the Grand Architect strike me down. God Bless the Confederation and God Bless Ol' NCU. Amen." He is then dried off by the Grandmaster and offered a ceremonial Masonic robe. The second most notable tradition is the so-called "Geometric Summoning." On every New Years Day, the Grandmaster leads the Lodge in forming geometric shapes with their bodies whilst they perform Latin chants. The night before the Lodge is filled with burning incense, and all asymmetric or imperfect decorations are destroyed to ensure "perfect geometry." The goal of these bizarre rituals is to try and summon an angel or other "Masonic Servant of the Lord" to bless the school and nation in the upcoming year, and sightings of such apparitions are reported every year. The idea that this could be caused by a combination of doublethink and smoke inhalation is, of course, ludicrous. The final, and perhaps most terrifying ritual of the Masons, is The Measuring. Every year, each member is "measured" by the Grandmaster using the tools of Masonry, which are alleged to be "infused with power from the Great Architect," to allow him to determine if a member has violated the Credo. If for whatever reason the "measurement is imperfect" the member is forced to confess all their sins to the Lodge, then flagellate themselves. The Measuring is perhaps the most potent tool used by the Grandmaster and President to enforce his will over the Lodge and the University as a whole, and things told in The Measuring are written down as blackmail for later use in service to the University. Needless to say, this ritual has ensured that the school is never short for funding.

Website-Headerb (1).jpg

The official logo of the Masonic Lodge of Chapel Hill
The Order of the Fallen Chancellor: (1831-Present) (Legal)

History:
The OFC is the campus's least secret secret society, as its existence is widely known, as is a rough membership list and count. However, there is enough secrecy surrounding the Order to warrant inclusion on this list. It was founded in 1831 by some of the last Cuba War veterans from Chapel Hill as a way to commemorate their fallen hero, Chancellor Jackson. The popularity of the Order is testament to how beloved Andy really was in Carolina, as well as how shattered the nation was by the outcome of the Cuba War. It was initially begun as a place for veterans to gather and drink, as well as swap war stories and gripe about the "damn Virginians." However as the nation marched closer and closer to the Great American War the Order transformed from a veterans society into a bona fide cult of Jackson and flag, that might be best compared to the Union's AFC, albeit with emotion directed at different groups and in different directions. The OFC also became a de facto secret police and terrorist group, enforcing nationalist rule on campus and terrorizing nearby Afro-Carolinian slaves and the "unpatriotic." When the Confederation formally joined the war the Order held recruitment rallies on campus, and every member of the group was required to enlist. These men formed the core of the Chapel Hill Volunteer Infantry, and were widely praised for their ferocity in battle. When West Carolina was reclaimed and the war ended, the OFC saw an explosion in popularity on campus and were seen as "Chapel Hill's Finest Fighters." However, the Great Disturbance would cause a shock to this institution. The rise of Normanism split the group, as Normanists left the Order to form the Society of Norman Sons, and in the lead up to the 1887 Election duels would take place between the two groups, killing 5. After the election, as rioting broke out across the nation, the OFC led UNC's Jacksonian students against the Normanist faction on campus in the Election Riot of 1887, the deadliest riot in Chapel Hill until the Great Rounders Riot of 1927, and famously fired a 6 pounder smoothbore artillery piece into the Normanist crowd. At the end of the bloody affair the Jacksonians were triumphant, killing over 2 score of the Normanists. They would then help the newly created Office of Public Virtue round up the remaining Normanists on campus. After the end of the Great Disturbance and the rise of the Common Sense Party the OFC became an explicitly Common Senser organization. In a shocking move, elite members of the organization were asked to don sky blue and white uniforms in honor of the school's colors and become an OPV Auxiliary Division on campus dubbed the Sword of Jackson. They were given authority to beat, detain, and in dire circumstances, shoot Tar Heels suspected of treason. This power was especially needed in view of the rise of Illuminism around the world, and the Swordsmen spent most of their time hunting Illuminists or Beutelists on campus. However, as confirmed sightings of "un-Carolinian elements" decreased in frequency, some began to wonder if the constant acts of "Beutelist and Illuminist heathen-aggression" (usually no more serious than cherry bombs on the quad and rude graffiti) were actually false flags by the Swordsmen so they could keep their governmental power and funding. Of course, such rumors are ridiculous.....

Hierarchy: The Order of the Fallen Chancellor has a strict ranking system. At the top of the organization sits the Chancellor-General, who also heads the Council of Colonels. The Council is composed of 12 Colonels, who are elected from the lower ranks (who are promoted on merit) and who pick the Chancellor-General from among their ranks. Beneath the Colonels are the Captains, who lead the Order's 6 divisions. Each division is composed of 3 Lieutenants, 6 Sergeants, and 24 Privates, who are at the bottom of the food chain. This basic hierarchy has stayed the same throughout the Order's history, but adjustments to how many men are under the command of certain ranks have been made as the Order has grown. The Swordsmen do not have a special rank in the hierarchy, although they're typically "exceptionally talented" Privates, Lieutenants, and Captains. They all report directly to the Chancellor-General, and he has full authority over the entire organization.

Rituals: The Order has four important traditions that define it. The first is The Dying. On the anniversary of Chancellor Jackson's death, members of the Order dress up as masked mourners, with the exception of the Chancellor-General and the "Virginian Bastard," usually a freshman being hazed. The Chancellor-General dons a replica of the uniform favored by Chancellor Jackson, and special makeup and hair powder is placed on him so he resembles the Chancellor as closely as possible. The Virginian Bastard dresses in a replica Virginian uniform. At approximately noon the Order gathers on the Quad in front of Fortnum Library. The Chancellor-General is "gravely wounded" by the Virginian Bastard, who is then set upon by his fellows and usually attacked and sentenced to a mock hanging. The Chancellor-General lies on the steps of the Library "dying" and utters his famous last words: "Ah. Yes. Good. We have victory. I knew my boys would beat the bastards, by damn. They're brave, doctor, so incredibly brave. Much braver than me. What good sons I have, doctor." The Order then drapes the University in black mourning cloth, often with help from the student body. The rest of the day is a somber affair, with eulogies to the "Father of Carolina" being posted on bulletin boards and portraits of Jackson being displayed on every possible surface, including on metal pins in later years. Then at midnight, comes the second great tradition of the Order: The Rising. The Chancellorites change from mourning clothes into pale sheets not dissimilar to what the Council of Jehovah wears, and the Chancellor-General has powder thrown on his face to give him the appearance of "the ghost of Andy by God Jackson." He climbs atop a white horse and leads the Order in a "charge for Faith and Flag." Other Tar Heels and Chapel Hill residents cheer them on while holding candles to light the way, while the Chancellorites scream bloody murder as they follow "Our Risen Chancellor" to Silent Sam. There, Henry Clay is lynched in effigy by the Chancellor-General, thus fulfilling Old Hickory's promise to hang Henry Clay. The crowd chants and screams before dispersing, and often all that's left of the effigy is loose cloth and straw. The third tradition of the Order, and one that has drawn some stray criticism from the Union is The Shipment. Every year, the Order picks a day to celebrate the "de-Negrification" of Carolina. They isn't a specific date for the event because "every day we are a purely white nation is worth celebrating." Volunteers are painted in blackface and shoved on a mock wooden ship bearing a banner saying "The Afro-Carolinian Express: Taking the Afroids Back to Where They Came From!" The blackfaced students sing mocking renditions of slave spirituals and John Brown's Body, while the rest of the Order and onlookers try and drown them out with the chant "Hark the Sound of White Men's Voices!" At the end, the "darkies" are mock executed and the fake boat is burned. This tradition would only become more popular with the rise of Colonel Pierce University, to the chagrin of Philadelphia. The final distinctive tradition of the Order is The Revenge. On the anniversary of the retaking of West Carolina, the Chancellor-General and the most senior Colonel dress as Andrew Jackson and James Polk respectively. A girl or woman is selected from the area for her "exceptional beauty" and she is placed into a Moon and Stars toga and dubbed Lady Caroline. Then of course, the Virginian Bastard makes a recurring appearance. The OFC then puts on what is essentially a jingoistic play which depicts the Virginian Bastard scheming to rape and rob Lady Caroline. The gallant Andy Jackson fights for Lady Caroline's honor, and pays for it with his life. There is then a scene which almost explicitly states that the Virginian Bastard had his way with Lady Caroline. The weeping lady is found by Chancellor Polk, who she implores "Good Sir! O noble fruit of my loins! Avenge my stolen honor, and do what you must to the Virginian Man! For a man who rapes a maiden fair is no man, but a demon from Hell! Send him back to the fiery pit whence he came, my savior, lover, and avenger!" The next scenes depict Polk rallying the people and telling them "Our fair land has been defiled by foreign hands for far too long! It is time for every Cokie man and woman to take a stand, or we will all go down in history as cowards! Cowards! We are Free Men Born and Free Men Bred, and by damn we will be Free Men Dead! Death Always to Foreign Imperialists! Down with Virginia and Up with the Moon and Stars!" The final scene depicts Polk brutally disemboweling the Virginian Bastard, often neutering him as well. The fallen Jackson and a newly crowned Lady Caroline join him in trampling the "corpse." The three actors join their voices to proclaim "Carolina, the once defeated nation, has risen from the ashes on the corpses of her sons and enemies. Blessed be the nation whose God is the Lord. God Bless Carolina and Hark the Sound of Fallen Men's Voices!" A massive banner then unfurls, depicting Lady Caroline and reading "Her honor, once defiled, has been restored. We shall always protect it!" Military music plays and the Virginian flag is burned as Thomas Jefferson, Henry Clay, and Jubal Early are hanged in effigy. Hark the Sound of Free Men's Voices.....

Caroline.jpg

A headshot of a young woman as Lady Caroline in the 30th annual Vengeance in Chapel Hill (1900)

3222608149_660aed4590_b.jpg

A student who volunteered to appear in blackface for The Shipment (1920)

s-l1000.jpg

Private Billy Tom Williamson, a Swordsman of Jackson. 1/5th of all Chancellorites are Swordsmen, and are the only members of the organization aside from the Chancellor-General whose identity is fully known by the public.

Sorry to spam the thread but I've felt inspired, lol.

Hark the Sound of Fed Men's Voices: Have a Taste of the Carolinas!
Greetings travelers! Welcome to the Confederation of the Carolinas, and thank you for exploring our grand country with us, the All-Carolina Tour Corporation! Founded in 1916, our company caters to those guys and gals from the Free World who want to learn first hand that there's nothing finah than bein in Carolina! As a part of your all-inclusive rail and sea tour of our great nation, you will be eating delicious dishes just like the ones your average Cokie boy eats, with ingredients found solely in the Carolinas and her colonies! God hath truly blessed our New Eden with all that we need to survive and thrive in this world, and fight the good fight for Anglo-Saxon liberty!

Starters

Fried Green Tomatoes with Creamy Dipping Sauce (16¢)

Miniature Pulled Pork Sandwiches (20¢)

Pimento Cheese Dip with Cokie Crackers (10¢)

Entrees

12oz Certified "Chancellor's Reserve" Ribeye Steak (35¢)

Fried Catfish with Tartar Sauce (32¢)

Fried Popcorn Shrimp with Cocktail Sauce (29¢)

Momma's Own Fried Chicken: Half Chicken (55¢) Whole Chicken ($1)

Pulled Pork Platter with Your Choice of Sauce (41¢)

Barbecued Chicken with Your Choice of Sauce (37¢)

Sides

Potatoes Mashed or Roasted (6¢)

Sweet Potatoes Mashed or Roasted (3¢)

Creamed Corn (4¢)

Jackson Noodles and Cheese (4¢)*

Fried Okra (2¢)

Cornbread (3¢)

Momma's Own Biscuits (5¢)

Desserts

Banana Pudding (3¢)

Chocolate Pie (5¢)

Apple Pie (5¢)

Malted Milkshake (5¢)

Cokie Fruit Salad (Apples, Cantaloupe, Melons, Strawberries, East Carolina Pineapples, Blackberries) (10¢)

Make Your Pie Jackson Style with One Scoop of Vanilla Bean Ice Cream! (1¢ additional charge)

8T6Lkob8c.jpg

Truly Carolina is a New Eden, and the Lord has made her fruitful! We hope you enjoy this feast of the fruits of Carolinian Liberty!

Wendel's: America's First Diner

The Wendel Company was the owner of the Wendel's chain of restaurants, hotels, and other hospitality industry businesses alongside railroads and roadways in the Republican Union and Confederation of the Carolinas. It was founded in 1867 by Orel Isaak Wendel to cater to the growing number of train passengers. When Wendel died in 1910, his family inherited 45 restaurants and 20 dining cars in 12 states By 1925, the Wendel Company is the sixth largest food retailer in the Union based on good food, dedication to customers, decent treatment of employees, and preservation of local traditions.

History

The company traces its origins to the 1867 opening of two railroad eating houses located at Centralia, Iowai and Dakota City, Dakota on the Central American Railway. These restaurants were opened by Orel Wendel, then a freight agent for the Pennsylvania, Ohio and Iowai Railroad, whose parents emigrated to the United States from England. The restaurant operation ended within a year, but Wendel had been convinced of the potential profits from providing a high quality food and service experience at railroad eating houses. His longtime employer, the Great Western Railroad, declined his offer of establishing a system-wide eating house operation at all railroad meal stops, but the Heartland Railroad subsequently contracted with Harvey for several eating houses on an experimental basis.

In 1868, Wendel started the first of his eating house-hotel establishments along the Heartland tracks in Lewis City, Osage. The rapid growth of the Wendel's chain soon followed.

Orel Wendel is credited with creating the first restaurant chain in the Union. Wendel and his company also became leaders in promoting tourism in the American West in the late 19th century. The company and its employees, including the famous waitresses who came to be known as Wendel Women, successfully brought new higher standards of both civility and dining to a region widely regarded in the era as "the Wild West". Before the inclusion of dining cars in passenger trains became common practice, a rail passenger's only option for meal service in transit was to patronize one of the roadhouses often located near the railroad's water stops. Fare typically consisted of nothing more than rancid meat, cold beans, and week-old coffee. Such poor conditions understandably discouraged many Americans from making the journey westward.

The subsequent growth and development of the Wendel Company was closely related to that of Heartland Railroad. Under the terms of an oral agreement, Wendel opened his first depot restaurant in Lewis City, Osage in January 1868. Railroad officials and passengers alike were impressed with Wendel's strict standards for high quality food and first class service. As a result, Heartland entered into subsequent contracts with Wendel wherein he was given unlimited funds to set up a series of what were dubbed "eating houses" along most of the route. At more prominent locations, these eating houses evolved into hotels, many of which survive today. By the late 1890s, there was a Wendel's dining facility located every 100 miles along the Heartland Railroad. Heartland agreed to convey fresh meat and produce free-of-charge to any Wendel's via its own private line of refrigerator cars, the Heartland Refrigerator Dispatch, and in them food was shipped from every corner of the Union. The company maintained two dairy facilities (the larger of the two was situated in Custer City, Texas) to ensure a consistent and adequate supply of fresh milk. When dining cars began to appear on trains, Heartland contracted with the Wendel Company to operate the food service on the diners, and all Heartland advertising proclaimed "Wendel's Meals All the Way".

Wendel's meals were served in sumptuous portions that provided a good value for the traveling public; for instance, pies were cut into fourths, rather than sixths, which was the industry standard at the time. The Wendel Company and Heartland established a series of signals that allowed the dining room staff to make the necessary preparations to feed an entire train in just thirty minutes. Wendel's served their meals on fine porcelain and linens. Wendel, a fastidious innkeeper, set high standards for efficiency and cleanliness in his establishments, personally inspecting them as often as possible. It was said that nothing escaped his notice, and he was even known to completely overturn a poorly set table. Male customers were required to wear a coat and tie in many of Wendel's dining rooms. The Harvey Houses also served prepared 'box lunches' to troops during the Great War.

Despite the decline of passenger train patronage in the U.S. in the 20th century with the advent of the automobile, the company survived and prospered, by marketing its services to the motoring public. The restaurant chain opened a series of hotels next to its restaurants along railroads and roadways and the company continued to adjust to the post-war trends with the building of the Destiny Roads throughout the country. The company also moved into the prepared foods and corner grocery store markets with the opening of Levins's, a series of small grocery stores named after Levin Wendel, the oldest of Orel's sons and head of the company after Orel died. The Wendell Company has already expanded operations into the New Territories with the purchasing of several other hotel and restaurant chains and already owns significant amounts of farm and ranch land in the central and western parts of the Union.

The Wendel Women

In 1883, Wendel implemented a policy of employing a female, serving staff of Pinnacle women. He sought single, well-mannered, and educated American ladies, and placed ads in newspapers throughout the East Coast and Midwest for "young women, 18-30 years of age, of good character, attractive and intelligent". The girls were paid $18.50 a month, plus room and board, a generous income by the standards of the time.

The women were subjected to a strict 10 p.m. curfew, administered by a senior Wendel Women who assumed the role and responsibilities of house mother. The official starched black and white uniform (which was designed to diminish the female physique) consisted of a skirt that hung no more than eight inches off the floor, "Elsie" collars, opaque black stockings, and black shoes. The hair was restrained in a net and tied with a regulation white ribbon. Makeup of any sort was absolutely prohibited, as was chewing gum while on duty. Women (as they soon came to be known) were required to enter into a one-year employment contract, and forfeited half their base pay should they fail to complete the term of service. Marriage was the most common reason for a girl to terminate her employment. Under Levin Wendel parts of the uniform have been modified but the contract and strict discipline policy have been kept.

The restrictions maintained the clean-cut reputation of the Women, and made them even more marriageable. Western philosopher Walt Richards once said, “In the early days the traveler fed on the buffalo. For doing so, the buffalo got his picture on the nickel. Well, Orel Wendel should have his picture on one side of the dime, and one of his waitresses with her arms full of delicious ham and eggs on the other side, ‘cause they have kept the West supplied with food and wives.” However, just the opportunity to leave their homes, enjoy travel, have new experiences, and work outside the home was very liberating for thousands of young women. In a mythology that has grown around the Wendel's Houses and Wendel Women, these female employees are said to have helped to "civilize the American West".

OOC: This has been approved by Napoleon53.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Harvey_Company

Alright friends, here it is. The penultimate UNC/Cokie madness. I based this off a combination of the Red Summer and the Emmett Till trial, so it isn't gonna be pretty.

Hark the Sound of Hate-Filled Voices: The Chapel Hill-Colonel Pierce Rivalry
136-138ECH_1930.jpg

A scene from Chapel Hill Street in Durham, NC, filled with Colonel Ford Autocarriages (1927)
The people of the Confederation of the Carolinas have a complicated view of their northern brothers. The size and wealth of the Yankee empire inspires envy, respect, and awe. Their toleration of the African-American man produces confusion and disgust. Yankee meddling in Cokie politics inevitably creates anger, made all the worse because deep down even the most nationalist of Carolinians know that they can't do a damn thing about it. American innovations and achievements inspire respect and happiness in the Carolinian people, who view them as worthy of commendation. In the best of times, the Carolinians view their American neighbors as friends and see the Yankee behemoth as a "big brother" of sorts to Carolina, one who will protect them and lead them to glory. In the worst of times, Cokie guys and gals clutch their guns and their pearls in horror and fear of their bellicose puppet-master, and desire to undermine and destroy them. Nothing demonstrates the negative attitude between these two kindred peoples better than the history of the UNC Chapel Hill vs. Colonel Pierce University rivalry. More than just adults getting excited over a game, this rivalry encompasses so much of the political and cultural peculiarities of these two peoples that it is worth a closer examination.

In 1922, James Pierce, descendant of the Colonel Franklin Pierce, was looking for a way to leave his family name on more than Coffee Grinders and rifle stocks. He wanted the Pierce family name to be associated with culture, learning, and an elite institutional legacy. To this end, he began shopping around for universities, hoping to name one after his family. Over the next year he would tour the Ivy League schools, before stopping at Princeton University in April of 1923. He became enamored with the university, finding its beauty and elegance to exceed those of all the other Ivy League schools. He arranged a meeting with the university's board of trustees, and promised a substantial financial award if they would rename the school in honor of the Colonel. He was laughed out of the meeting, with one trustee proclaiming "Sir, not even Jehovah himself has enough money for us to rename our school after you or your new money Colonel!" The Pierce family had been prominent for over a century now, but clearly some snobs still viewed them as new money. Dejected, Pierce vowed to renew the search after he settled a new armament contract with the Carolinian government. He disembarked from his private train in Raleigh and immediately got into a company Colonel Ford he had shipped to the company's offices. His Carolinian born driver, Mr. Mark Cooper, gave his employer a tour of the surrounding area, since Pierce had arrived an hour ahead of schedule. As they drove through Durham, Pierce noticed a sign for Trinity Bible College. Having never heard of the College, he asked Mr. Cooper about it. Cooper informed him that the college had been founded around the start of the Cuba War, and had remained a little-known university, never achieving much in the way of success. The College was also rumored to be on the verge of bankruptcy, thanks to the boom of the UNC system. The drive continued, and Pierce began formulating his new plan.

After signing a new and lucrative arms contract with the Gamble Administration, Pierce decided to extend his visit and arranged a meeting with the board of trustees for Trinity College. They quickly jumped on the opportunity, and met with the rich industrialist. He told them that he'd heard rumors the college was on the verge of bankruptcy, and they reluctantly admitted it was true. They just couldn't compete with the new public and private schools popping up all over the place. Knowing a deal when he saw it, Pierce made the board an offer they couldn't refuse; in return for making him head of the board and renaming the University after Colonel Pierce, he would funnel all the necessary money to pay off the school's debt, totally rebuild the campus, and begin increasing admittance via improved programs and perhaps even a marketing scheme. Desperate and not anticipating the full scope of what Pierce intended to do, the board agreed. On August 14th, 1923, Trinity Bible College officially became Colonel Pierce University, to much public fanfare. In a way, founding his family's university in Carolina made a great deal of sense for James. An avid amateur historian, he admired the Cokie people, albeit in an extremely condescending way. As he put it in a letter to a family friend shortly after making the deal: "I actually have a great deal of respect for these Carolinian fellows. If one examines ancient history, one sees many parallels between them and the Germanic tribes of antiquity. They are both examples of what I believe the Anglo-Saxon-Teutonic race is like in nature. Naturally fertile and productive, and fiercely jealous of their liberties and land. It is our duty to take up the task of the Roman, without succumbing to his demise. We must civilize these New Germanics and raise them from their state of nature, without being overwhelmed by their ferocity like the aged Empire was in its time. It is our duty as Americans." This kind of attitude would infect his school, and cause a great number of the problems which plague Colonel Pierce's reputation in the Carolinas.
Using some of the leftover French Canadians and Californians as laborers, Pierce broke ground on his University with remarkable speed. The old wooden buildings were torn down, and blueprints and campus layouts from Princeton were brought down. He even copied the famous Princeton chapel, and construction on the Colonel Pierce University American Fundamentalist Chapel was among the first projects to start, being fully finished by 1928. Many in Carolina were at first excited about the construction of the University, hoping that the American tycoon would create programs to allow their sons to go to his university. Unfortunately, after firing the rest of the board over a monetary dispute, Pierce went in a different direction. He wanted to civilize the Carolinas, but he felt that the best way to go about that was to "Demonstrate the superiority of the Yankee way by having the Pinnacle Young Men and Women of America demonstrate their effortless superiority for all to see. They must be role models for these poor Cokies, and demonstrate how hopelessly behind and inadequate they will remain compared to us without accepting the blessings of American civilization." This would also prove to be extremely profitable for him due to a clever marketing trick. The Ivy League schools were the Pinnacle of the Yankee education system. Just getting into such a university would improve job opportunities, marriage prospects, and show the "strength of your Fluids." However, many elite Yankee families found that they couldn't get all of their children into these prestigious schools, affecting the family's fortune and standing. To capitalize on this market, Pierce hired elite Ivy League trained professors and marketed his campus as "The Ivy League of the South," and the "Princeton of Carolina." This significantly increased the school's standing up North, and thousands of wealthy Yankees flooded South for the first classes in the fall of 1924. Almost immediately, there were tensions with the locals. Many Colonel Pierce students treated their Carolinian hosts with derision, and the immaturity natural to all college students didn't help. Soon many locals were calling the University "The Yankee Nursery of Tobacco Road." These feelings transitioned to sports, with several high profile fisticuffs matches between Tar Heels and Minutemen (the mascot of Colonel Pierce) getting widespread attention and escalating feelings of animosity. The rounders season in the spring of 1925 certainly didn't help things, as the dejected Yankees watched their lineup get demolished by the boys in Carolina blue and white, led by senior year star slugger Samuel "Swattin Sam" Van der Smoot. That certainly didn't fit the school's image of effortless superiority over the redneck Cokies. The aftermath of the tournament quarterfinal match between UNC and Colonel Pierce, where Swattin Sam led Carolina to a crushing 8-2 victory over the Minutemen also sparked the first college sports riot between the two teams. Enraged Minutemen marched over to the Cokie stands and attacked fans before being beaten back by the Tar Heels and the police. The Tar Heels would go on to win their third consecutive NCCAC Rounders Pennant.

james-buchanan-duke-0cee541f-78bc-4453-b489-3375145709f-resize-750.jpeg

James Pierce circa 1924

CP med school.jpg

Colonel Pierce Medical School, 1926

P081_NTBS3_005714.jpg

Swattin Sam, Carolina's first star slugger

With the loss of Swattin Sam, the 1926 season was much more difficult for the Tar Heels, especially with the addition of star Minutemen pitcher Ezekiel Jones. Adding "insult" to injury was the fact that Ezekiel was black. Chapel Hill police had a difficult time controlling fans in the stands, and when the Minutemen won their first NCCAC Pennant that year riots broke out in Chapel Hill and across Orange County. The Chancellor ordered his own guards to protect Jones, for fear of an international incident. Jones would play two more years for the Minutemen, helping them earn another Pennant and a second place spot before transferring to BAUB for his senior year in 1929. In 1929 balance was achieved between the two teams, with the Tar Heels getting another star slugger in the shape of Barnabus Erikson, who was in turn matched by another star Yankee pitcher, the All-American Anglo-Saxon Francis "Fastball Frank" Benningfield. The two teams engaged in a clash of titans throughout the regular season, and the games were broadcast live over the radio across both Carolina and the Union. Then, thanks to the formation of the bracket that year for the NCCAC Rounders Pennant, it was inevitable that the two rivals would face off in the championship. As team after team fell to the two powerhouses, anticipation built to a ludicrous frenzy. On June 3rd, 1929, the Championship game would be played at Chapel Hill's own Gamble Stadium. The Chancellor and the American Ambassador both announced their intention to watch the game in person. However, two days before the game was played, horrifying news broke: Fastball Frank had been implicated in the rape of Janice Howe a 16 year old Carolinian girl, allegedly after taking "an excessive dose of Boogie." Police declined to file charges before the game for fear of looking biased. The stage was set for the bloodiest sports riot in Cokie history....

June 3rd, 1929. Gamble Stadium is packed to the gills and then some, with overflow spilling out around the stadium, and people who had come from as far away as Jacksonland and Grand Panama to watch this game. The national anthems of both the Republican Union and the Confederation were played. In the Cokie stands, chants of "Hark the Sound" rang out. A member of the student Spirit Club then climbed on top of the dugout and screamed "TAR!" The crowd responded "HEELS!" This went on for several minutes until the crowd lost control and just chanted repeatedly "HEELS HEELS HEELS HEELS HEELS!" Even Chancellor Gamble joined in on the frenzy before throwing out the first pitch. What followed was a duel for the ages. Fastball Frank and Barney Erikson duked it out for inning after inning, as the crowd became increasingly drunk and irritable from the hot Cokie sun. In the bottom of the ninth, with the Miuntemen ahead 7-6, Erikson was up at bat again. In one of the most infamous events in sports history, Fastball Frank threw his legendary fastball right at Erikson's head. The ball hit him at 100mph, and cracked his skull like a coconut. Erikson fell to the ground and struggled to get back up and was escorted back to the dugout. Little did anyone know that that fastball had ruptured an aneurysm, and his brain was essentially hemorrhaging. The New Jersey born umpire Bobby Knight declined to take any action against Fastball Frank. Frank made quick work of the other Heels and the game was called 7-6 at 6:30pm. At 6:32pm, Barney Erikson was declared dead. The news spread through the Cokie stands like wildfire, but the Minutemen were unaware that their star player had killed his opponent. To make matters worse, many were chanting "Janie had it coming," including, it appeared, Fastball Frank. As the Minutemen fans prepared to leave, Chancellor Gamble had the foresight to have his guards escort the American Ambassador and his family out of the building. Chants of "Justice for Janice" rang out. Almost at once, the entire Cokie side of the stadium started charging towards the Minutemen. The Minutemen stood fully prepared to fight it out with the "inbred redneck morons," until it became apparent that the mob was being led by none other than the shotgun toting Orange County Sheriff, William Pewterschmidt. Bravery turned into panic as Minutemen and Yankee tourists trampled each other trying to get out. The Sheriff and his deputies opened fire on the crowd as the Tar Heels and other Cokies stormed into the stands with makeshift weapons and firearms.

Across the Carolinas, rioting broke out. In Raleigh, only the memory of the Embassy Massacre and the presence of the Chancellor's Guard kept the Ambassador and his staff safe. This was not the case for the hundreds of Yankee citizens who tried to escape into the embassy, who were beaten and often killed. The Colonel Pierce offices in the city were burnt to ashes, and Yankee owned businesses were ransacked. In Charleston, wealthy American tourists were forced by enraged mobs to hand over their valuables and kiss the Moon and Stars. Across the Confederation, and even in Jacksonland and Yonderland, American tourists and expats were targeted with extreme violence. However, the worst rioting occurred in Durham and Chapel Hill. Just miles away from the heart of the Confederate capital, anarchy reigned as local police and military units sided with the rioters. The locals joined the Chapel Hill students in marching on Colonel Pierce University. The Tar Heels managed to capture Fastball Frank as he was in his Colonel Ford and fleeing for the border. He was dragged out of his car and lynched. By the end, there wasn't enough left of his body to send home for a proper burial. Many other students, particularly the small African-American population at Colonel Ford, were literally dragged out of dorms, trolleys, and cars and hanged from trees over the next several days. Chancellor Gamble declared martial law on June 4th and sent in armed OPV agents to crush the rioters, as he desperately tried to avoid a Yankee "intervention." By June 6th, the rioting had stopped, but the damage was done. Thousands of Americans across the Carolinas had been beaten, robbed, or killed. Most of Colonel Pierce University had been burned to the ground, including the newly completed Fundamentalist Chapel. The Steele Administration was obviously out for blood, so Chancellor Gamble had the OPV assign blame for the rioting to hundreds of homeless people across the Carolinas and executed them after what was essentially a show trial. The charges were in almost all instances painfully fake, but it satisfied Steele. The American people, however, still thirsted for vengeance. They wanted Sheriff Pewterschmidt to stand trial for inciting a riot and murder. Steele didn't particularly care what happened at this point, and essentially told Gamble to scapegoat a few deputies and let the Sheriff walk free. Two deputies were charged, found guilty by a judge, and executed. The Sheriff, however, was a different story. He was tried by a jury and found innocent, to the shock of the American observers. This was the quote he gave to the Philadelphia Times after his acquittal: "I reckon my fellow Carolinians and I did what we had to do to defend Cokie womanhood. That Benningfield boy raped a 16 year old girl! His family ought to be ashamed of them damn selves, rasin a hellion like that! I don't see why y'all are so tore up bout this anyway. I've learnt a bit bout y'all's beliefs and really, ain't all this y'all's fault for not bein tough enough to stop a bunch of pissed off rednecks? Where're all those Pinnacle Fluids I keep hearin bout, huh? Maybe this will teach y'all a lesson bout how we do things here in Ol'Caroline. If you can't put up, shut up."

Perversely, Sheriff Pewterschmidt's quote in the Philadelphia Times, which spread across the nation like wildfire, actually did help to smooth things over with a decent percentage of Americans. Plenty were still utterly infuriated, but many argued that, while extreme, the Carolinian's actions weren't totally unjustified. Fastball Frank killed a man, raped a young girl, and then led the students in a taunting chant about the rape. Then, when confronted by his enemies, he panicked and fled even as the Cokies charged straight into danger. It was cowardly, disgraceful, and improper conduct unworthy of a son of the New Jerusalem. The government also aided in smoothing things over. President Steele said in an interview with the Philadelphia Times in September: "The unfortunate events in Carolina are a perfect example of the carnage that erupts when members of the Pinnacle Race do not respect one another's liberty. This is just further proof of the Strong Man Theory so wisely developed by Gibbs and Darwin. Without a Strong leader to protect Anglo-Saxon freedom, chaos will ensue." Ironically, Reverend-Colonel Billy Sunday also helped do damage control, saying: "Folks, the Bible tells us to not judge, lest we too be judged. Can anyone in this room honestly say that if we had been in those Cokie's places, we would have done anything different? I know that if a foreigner raped one of our youthful girls and killed my team's star slugger, I'd probably burn down their whole country if I could! Wouldn't you? *shouts of agreement*"

In the aftermath of the Great Rounders Riot of 1929, Colonel Pierce University was rebuilt. Some advocated that James Pierce abandon the school, but he rightly predicted that doing so would be seen as a sign of weak Fluidation. The University was open for business again by 1931, although the Chapel wouldn't be fully reconstructed until 1935. The rivalry between the two schools had been forged in the fires of mutual distaste and hatred, and was now as strong as steel. The school detested each other, and insulted and abused one another whenever possible. However, the Minutemen did, unofficially, give ground to the Heels and the Cokie people. No more African-American students were admitted to Colonel Pierce, not that any really bothered to apply anymore. The campus administration also unofficially ordered male students to stay away from the native girls "in order to prevent a misunderstanding between CPU and the local community." A university founded to move Carolina closer to Yankeedom and become a model for the Cokie people was now a pulsing symbol of everything the locals hated about their titanic neighbor, and rather than becoming a beacon of "civilization" was turned into a Separate World for its students, who lived in eternal fear of the next Great Rounders Riot.

m-5091.jpg

Ezekiel Jones, CPU's first star pitcher

herb_pennock_kashin_29.jpg

Francis "Fastball Frank" Benningfield

A-white-mob-attempts-to-abduct-a-black-man.jpg

A Cokie mob prepares to lynch a black CPU student who was attempting to flee to a rail station via trolley.

3.%20White%20mob%20hunts%20for%20blacks%20on%20Chicago%27s%20South%20Side.jpeg

Enraged Tar Heels look for Yankees to lynch during the Great Rounders Riot of 1929

0812MCMANUS-superJumbo.jpg

Carolinians in Charlotte pose for a picture after looting an American owned business.

1932Chapel.jpg

The Colonel Pierce University American Fundamentalist Chapel being rebuilt in 1932.

Last edited:
President Steele may forgive but he does not forget.

This is true but he also has an EXTREME distaste for sexual immorality and the Cokies make a better neighbor than a military adventure.

I imagine that Steele will definitely hold this over Raleigh's head for quite some time. That being said, I imagine that privately he didn't give a damn, or maybe even sympathized with some of the Cokies. However, he has to show everyone that his power at home and abroad is unquestionable.

I honestly don't think anyone with half a brain in the Union government would consider invading Carolina over this. I doubt anyone really wants to do it at all. Mainland Carolina can easily become a grinding guerilla war against a non-inferior nation. East Carolina and the Virgin Islands could cause problems in the Caribbean for at least a short period. Finally, Jacksonland and Yonderland are perfectly positioned to destabilize Mittleafrika. That would probably be the most devastating thing for the Union because Mittleafrika is a cash cow for the Free World and even temporarily losing control of it would be a huge loss for the Union. Plus it gives the Europans room to move in.

I also made sure to time it for 1929 for a very specific reason. Napo has already said that the Union is going to have economic trouble in the 30's. That means provided it hadn't already started in 29, it was on the horizon. Steele has much bigger things to worry about than a bunch of sports rioters in a puppet state.

Ok, so I have an idea for a story, but I would like to gauge interest before I write it. It would be the story of a Cokie boy marrying a Yankee gal, and everything surrounding it. I would definitely make it a bit more light-hearted and comedic, but of course, the Madness would seep through. I think it would be a really neat world-building thing. What do y'all think?

Ok, so I have an idea for a story, but I would like to gauge interest before I write it. It would be the story of a Cokie boy marrying a Yankee gal, and everything surrounding it. I would definitely make it a bit more light-hearted and comedic, but of course, the Madness would seep through. I think it would be a really neat world-building thing. What do y'all think?

By all means, do it!

Now all I want to see is a rom-com where the manic pixie dream girl is all about cocaine, bloodsports and beating the hell out of any other woman who looks twice at her man to prove her fluidation. Why doesn't Hollywood get that?

Now all I want to see is a rom-com where the manic pixie dream girl is all about cocaine, bloodsports and beating the hell out of any other woman who looks twice at her man to prove her fluidation. Why doesn't Hollywood get that?

I already have most of the chapter ready, but I love this idea so much that I'm gonna do a follow-up that's a detailed summary of the "movie based on real events," that follows this formula. It's absolutely not gonna be serious and just be crazy and memey, but it'll be fantastic!

Do We Hark the Sound or All Hail? The Real Rutherford-Chesterfield Story

1d4da3aec09824f4ed3a200328e8c712.jpg

The wedding party of Rachel Chesterfield at her first wedding, held in the Second AFC Church of Metropolis (1918)
War has a way of bringing people together. Strangers become friends, people from opposite ends of the Earth become enemies, and all in an environment where life is on the line every single day. This is made especially apparent by the First World War, aka the Great Patriotic War in Carolina. Armies from the farthest reaches of the Earth were summoned to fight for the glory of their nations. Many found something or someone along the way that changed them forever. One excellent example of this is the story of Jesse Rutherford and Rachel Chesterfield. To examine it more closely, we must first learn the backgrounds of these two individuals.

Jesse Rutherford was born on March 4th, 1892, to Ezekiel and Elizabeth Rutherford in Columbusburg, Polk County, North Carolina. Jesse was the youngest of 7 children, having 3 brothers and 3 sisters. He was born of pure Scottish stock, and his ancestors were the powerful borderlanders the Clan Rutherford. The Rutherfords were the largest extended family in Polk County, and had a colorful history encompassing war heroes, bootleggers, sheriffs, and an ongoing family feud with the Dunlap clan. Jesse grew up in an idyllic environment, going to a little white schoolhouse 6 days a week and then heading home to work on the farm. However, the family feud would loom increasingly large over the young man as he got older. When he was 16, the Dunlaps killed his favorite cousin, Dick Rutherford, after a property line dispute escalated. Jesse killed Bobby Dunlap, a school rival of his, in retaliation. He was never prosecuted for this crime, and his father rewarded him with a bottle of moonshine and a couple expensive Yankee cigars. The feud simmered down for awhile afterwards, and Jesse busied himself with helping out on the farm to take over for his ailing father and "wife-shopping." He was fairly popular with the local girls, and he had his pick of the crop. However, when Carolina marched to war, the 19 year old joined his brothers in beating their ploughshares into rifles, and joined the Army.

Rachel Chesterfield was born on April 2nd, 1891, in Metropolis, New Canaan, to Abraham and Vera Chesterfield. Abraham was of pure Anglo-Saxon New Englander stock, and Vera was a Dutch immigrant. They lived on a humongous 15,000 acre commercial farm on the outskirts of Metropolis, which had been built off a 500 acre grant given to Abraham for his service in ORRA during the Immolation. Abe was extremely proud of his farm and family, calling both "The fruits of holiness given to my Chosen line by the hand of Jehovah." Rachel would be the oldest sister in a family that would grow to feature 13 children, 7 girls and 6 boys. Her family had some... interesting dynamics at play. Her mother, Vera, missed life in New York City and fell into heavy alcoholism, sometimes consuming a whole case of Republica on bad days. This created a great deal of emotional distance between her and the rest of the family. Abraham, for his part, was a frequent cocaine user and serial philanderer, fathering 4 illegitimate children with various unmarried women. This led to plenty of epic fighting, and both husband and wife would get physical, albeit rarely. Despite her father's problems, Rachel worshipped him as a nigh all-powerful provider. In fact, her only disciplinary citation from her school days came when she was 6 years old, and defamed President Lincoln by insisting "He can't be Strong Abe cuz my Daddy is the Strongest Abe since Bible times!" The expression grew more mature, but the sentiment remained unaltered. For his part, Abraham adored his daughter and called her "The purest and most beautiful expression of my Fluids." He also increasingly put her in a position of prominence and authority in the house as she became older. By the time she was 16, Rachel had basically supplanted her mother, setting rules for her siblings, consulting with her father on decisions great and small, putting him to bed after cocaine benders, and even taking her mother's place on his arm at formal events as Vera's alcoholism worsened. The strangeness of this relationship didn't escape notice in the family, and her siblings often sarcastically remarked "I don't understand why Mr. and Mrs. Chesterfield keep letting Vera drink in their house." The real Mrs. Chesterfield increasingly resented Rachel, and the feeling was mutual. Of course, Abe always sided with Rachel when the two fought, further entrenching her position as the real woman of the house. When Rachel graduated high school in 1909, she applied and was admitted to Benedict Arnold University of Metropolis. Her father bought her a brand new Colonel Ford as a gift so she could commute to and from school. Rachel studied history there, which further affirmed her belief that her father was "a real Strong Man," and modeled for the school's 1909 and 1910 Pinnacle Woman Beauty Pageant. Every contestant had to submit a photo shoot for the contest, and her father put a picture of her as "The Pinnacle Cowgirl of New Canaan" on his desk. She won in 1910 thanks to her "hazel eyes, womanly figure, and the height I got from my Daddy" as she put it in her diary. She wasn't wrong, as her figure, intimidating 6'0" stature, and piercing eyes made quite an impression on the hordes of suitors she had to fend off, some quite literally. In the fall of 1911, Rachel was excelling in her Junior year studies and preparing to enter the 1911 Pinnacle Woman Beauty Pageant when President Custer announced America's entrance into the First World War.

5d82af52c71d01c6873f7656117a6476.jpg

Rachel Chesterfield as the Pinnacle Cowgirl of New Canaan (1910)

c8e014f4745f32c3e94aa260c39295e1.jpg

Jesse Rutherford in uniform with his dog Spot (1911)

C6lgALaVsAAiUWs.jpg

Abraham Chesterfield in his garden (1906)
Jesse was first sent to the East Carolina front, where he performed heroically, winning the Medal of Bravery for saving his squad from a Europan ambush. After about a year on the front, Jesse volunteered for the 8th Carolinian Ulsterman Battalion and was shipped out to Scotland on December 3rd, 1912. He arrived in Scotland on the 10th, and was quickly sent into the meat grinder of Northern Ireland. He survived several improbable charges against the enemy, and then won the highest possible medal in Carolina, the Hero of the Confederation, Andy Jackson class, for holding the line against an oncoming wave of Irish while the visiting members of the Carolinian General Staff were evacuated from their trip to the front. He took 6 bullets, 4 in the arm and one in each leg. It earned him a trip to the Angel of Destiny Field Hospital on June 8th, 1913 as he was unable to march more than 10 miles. It was here, while recovering from his wounds, that Jesse Rutherford would meet his future bride.

Rachel had been sent to the Californian Front to tend to the Yankee and allied forces who were there eliminating the Bonapartists presence there. While working in the hospitals there, she developed something of a mild distaste for many of the patients, especially the foreign ones. Australians, Nipponese, and Yankee alike pursued her to the point of harassment, but the foreign ones were worse because "wooing a Yankee from the sons of the New Jerusalem" proved the "strength of their Fluids." Needless to say, she didn't like the attention. In November 1912, she was transferred to the Northern Ireland front and assigned to the Angel of Destiny field hospital. Working there was often a horror show, but at least most of those poor souls were too weak to try and grab at her, not that a fair number of Englishmen didn't try. Then, on June 8th, 1913, she was assigned to care for one Jesse Rutherford.

She came to his bed expecting to dislike him. She had never met a Cokie, but she assumed that they were just as perverted as any other foreigner, who were just slightly worse than many of her countrymen. To her surprise, Jesse was extremely polite, never referring to her as anything other than ma'am. He retained the attitudes of his countrymen towards women, which while often hypocritical or unfair, were at least nowhere near as aggressive as the Yankee Pinnacle Fluid ideology. Over the coming days, Rachel and Jesse built a wonderful rapport, albeit one that was not yet romantic. He would always crack jokes with her, and played her tunes on the harmonica his father got him before he left. Her reports on his conduct and recovery were glowing, and as a reward for his bravery, Jesse was granted a transfer from the front to help guard the base where the hospital was located after he recovered. By July 5th he was up and at em on guard duty. On his first day as a guard, Jesse decided to bring Rachel a sandwich from the mess on his lunch break as he knew she rarely had time to get food herself. He walked into the hospital and was horrified to see her being groped by a patient. Setting the food down, Jesse calmly walked over and punched the offender square in the face with such force that several teeth came flying out. Then, like nothing happened, he brought Rachel her sandwich and then walked out to report the incident to the base's CO, Yankee Captain John Heisenberg. He managed to convince Captain Heisenberg that a guard should be stationed in the hospital "To protect the persons and blood purity of the nurses," and to prevent a far more serious incident from occurring. After a few more beatdowns delivered by Jesse, the patients suddenly rediscovered their manners and stopped trying to grab at their caregivers. This was the turning point in his relationship with Rachel. Most of the nurses developed at least a small crush on their protector, but Rachel was different. Her admiration for the polite Cokie boy became a full blown infatuation, and she wrote to a friend back home "Jesse is the most wonderful Strong Man I have ever met! If you met him Hannah, you would be swooning over him too." These words would prove oddly prophetic, but that's a discussion for later in the story. She also became increasingly possessive of Jesse and on more than one occasion had serious verbal sparring matches with other nurses over him. For his part, Jesse had always had a crush on Rachel since his time as her patient, and these feelings boiled over during an evening stroll after dinner on August 3rd, 1913. They kissed under a full moon, and Jesse gave Rachel a letter for her father. It read: "To Mr. Abraham Chesterfield of New Canaan. My name is Jesse Rutherford of Polk County, North Carolina. I'm writing you this letter sir, that I might have your permission to court your daughter. She is the purest and most wonderful woman I have ever met, and I wish to pursue her with the intent to marry. Please respond at your earliest convenience. Sincerely, Corporal Jesse Rutherford, 8th Carolinian Ulsterman Battalion."

To say that Abe was unhappy was an understatement. He fully intended for Rachel to come home from the War, settle down with a local boy, and continue to help him run the household. A paramour from thousands of miles away was certainly not in the cards, especially not "One of those god-damned redneck Cokies." He was writing a letter forbidding Jesse from ever speaking to his daughter again when help for the young lovers came from a surprising source: Vera Chesterfield. While it seems highly probable that her motivation was to re-establish herself as the woman of the house and get rid of her daughter, she did still stick up for Rachel, and threatened to divorce Abe if he wouldn't let the couple be, something that would cause tremendous embarrassment. He relented, and sent a terse two word reply: "Permission granted." The couple was elated at the reply, even if they rightly knew trouble waited at home. After all, Jesse's folks also weren't terribly thrilled at the thought of their son marrying some "uppity Yankee broad." Throughout the coursthip, Jesse gave her little gifts and took her on old-fashioned, chivalrous dates like picnics. When he was sent back to the front in March of 1914 after an unexpectedly brutal Irish charge left the front lines dangerously weak, the couple exchanged hundreds of letters until a ceasefire was called. They were joyously reunited in October, and by November 3rd they were on their way back home. They boarded the RUS Ben Franklin and headed back with thousands of other Yankees and Cokies to their port of call in Savannah. 4 days into the voyage, Jesse Rutherford got down on bended knee and asked Rachel Chesterfield to marry him. Unbeknownst to her, he had bought a small engagement ring in Edinburgh. She enthusiastically said yes, and the happy couple was congratulated by thousands of their fellow passengers.

When the couple disembarked, both of their families were eager to greet them. The Rutherfords ran from the East entrance, while the Chesterfields practically stampeded towards them from the West. When both families came within spitting distance of the couple, they stopped in their tracks to stare at Rachel, who was holding up her engagement ring for the whole world to see. Both families stared for several moments, glassy eyed and slack jawed with horror before they turned to stare at each other. Then, the yelling started, prompting Port Authority officials to approach the bellicose crowd with batons drawn. After being escorted out of the port by the authorities, the newly engaged couple sat down at some picnic tables with their family for what can only be described as several hours of torture. Abraham asked his daughter, "Pray tell, did a piece of shrapnel hit you and destroy your ability to make reasoned decisions?" For his part, Jesse got to witness the sight of his sister Jeanine tackling Rachel's sister Delilah, and that was before his momma laid into him for "Foolin around with that dumbass Yankee girl." Vera just drank and cackled. This chaos continued until Abraham threatened to murder Rachel for, "being a disobedient retard and a disgrace!" This caused Rachel to burst out in a fresh wave of sobs and cower behind Jesse as it appeared a beating was imminent, until her fiance pulled out his sidearm and fired a shot in the air. Jesse didn't say a word, but stood there between father and daughter with a trembling hand on his gun. The strange fire in his eyes restored order, albeit order based in tremendous fear. Jesse's sisters would recall that it was unlike a look any of them had ever seen before. However, his father, his brothers, and Rachel's father all recognized it from their time in the military. It was, to quote Ezekiel's diary "The look of a man one wrong word away from snappin. Last time I saw a look like that, I watched a Virtueman kill 12 people." Jesse calmly grabbed his future father-in-law, who was a good 8 inches taller than him, by the collar and said "Sir, if you ever threaten or demean my fiancee again, with God as my witness I will beat you to death with my bare hands in broad daylight. Now, please apologize to her so this unpleasantness may cease." Terrified and coming down hard off of a cocaine high, Abraham apologized to a member of his family for the first and last time. The moment was another turning point in Rachel's relationship with her father and deepened her infatuation with Jesse, as she later wrote "For the first time I saw my father for who he really was; a tyrant, like the Bonapartes. I would have happily lived under his thumb forever if it hadn't been for my Jesse. I still remember him forcing that apology out of Daddy. I could feel the power of his Fluids vibrating off of him. It was the most awe-inspiring thing I've ever seen." Jesse then spoke to the police who responded to the gunshot with a ridiculous lie about it being a demonstration for his family, but no one dared to turn against him in his agitated state. After the cops left, Jesse declared that they weren't leaving until a solid plan had been created for the nuptials. Rachel wanted to finish her degree at BAUM, and Jesse thought this was a splendid idea in a move that his family found surprising. She had enough credit hours that she could apply for a year long fast track program for returning vets to finish their degree. After graduation, the family would hold two weddings, one in Columbusburg, and one in Metropolis, after the families failed to compromise on a middle of the road location. It was expensive, but it was the only way, and both families had the funds to afford it. With that settled, the two families parted ways for the time being.

Jesse spent his year apart from his beloved Rachel working on the family farm and doing odd jobs to save money. His family attempted to set him up with some old sweethearts to get him to break the engagement, and got some very choice words for their troubles. Every moment not spent working was spent writing to or thinking about Rachel. He also began planning a honeymoon trip to East Carolina and the Virgin Islands, using his savings from the Army. For her part, Rachel was hard at work studying. She still lived with her family, but tensions between her and her father remained high. Abe tried to smooth things over several times, but always in ways that were somewhat condescending. Rachel wound up accidentally repairing her relationship with her mother as a result of this, albeit to a limited extent. Her father got BAUM's resident big man on campus Harald Aaronson to try and seduce her away from Jesse, which resulted in Harald getting a particularly nasty kick to the testicles. Once she leaned of her father's role in the incident, she gave him a resounding punch in the face. Abe didn't dare retaliate with more than a mild slap, as for all of his airs of Strong Man attitude, he still shivered with fear at the memory of Jesse's wild eyed threat. On December 22nd, 1915, Rachel Chesterfield graduated with honors from BAUM. Her beaming fiance scooped her up and twirled her around, which looked somewhat comedic given the fact Rachel was 2 inches taller than him. Anticipation began building as planning started for the big day(s).

On May 1st, 1916, Jesse Rutherford and Rachel Chesterfield were married in the Second American Fundamentalist Church of Metropolis under the eye of the youthful and vigorous Pastor Hezekiah Larsen, aged 23. The marriage ceremony was followed by a 70 minute service that the Carolinians, including Jesse, found utterly terrifying. Spirits were slain, demons exorcised, and a distant cousin of Rachel's fell convulsing and foaming at the mouth after a massive dose of peyote, which allegedly gave her a vision of the Angel of Destiny blessing the union. It was so intense that the Carolinians could almost forget the presence of black people among their Yankee compatriots. No racist incidents occurred, and nasty remarks were even suppressed after Jesse made it clear that "Anyone who embarrasses me tonight will find that I'm gonna Take a Little Trip to their room and Tell Em Hello." The reception dinner was a traditional Yankee affair that put everyone at ease. Rachel and Abraham even put aside their differences to enjoy a very tender father-daughter dance. The immediate aftermath of the reception, however, saw two dramatic developments. Firstly, Vera Chesterfield initiated an affair with Pastor Larsen, one that would continue for 8 years and likely saw Larsen father her late in life twins. In a similar vein, Rachel's maid of honor, Hannah Olsen, the same Hannah whose letter was quoted previously, attempted to seduce Jesse before he left to spend the night with his bride. He got away from her and informed Rachel of what happened. Hannah chased after him, and was greeted with an extremely violent beating at the hands of her former best friend. Jesse had to literally drag Rachel off of Hannah so as to stop his beloved from seriously or even fatally injuring her maid of honor. Afterwards, Hannah was quietly removed from the guest list to the second wedding in Columbusburg, and her spot as maid of honor was given to Rachel's sister Mary Lou.

The second wedding in Columbusburg on June 2nd went off fairly well. Jesse and Rachel were married by his grandfather, Old Man Rutherford, in the First Presbyterian Church of Columbusburg, founded by the Rutherfords in 1770. The ceremony was much more understated than the Yankee one, and there was a notable absence of snake-handling or rabid hallucinations by distant relatives. The reception dinner, however, was extremely wild. Rachel's family watched in amazement as massive containers of bootleg moonshine were brought out alongside heaping platters of pulled pork and were mildly alarmed by the amount of celebratory gunfire that erupted throughout the evening, making the massive party sound like a small war was being waged in a field in Columbusburg. Dancing went on late into the night, and eventually the betrothed couple stumbled to their marital bed absolutely hammered on illegal corn liquor. A send-off party had been planned for the following morning, but given how everyone over the age of 10 was violently hungover, it was decided that a quite goodbye and a small cash gift for the couple to upgrade their train seats to a nicer and quieter car would be best. The couple boarded the train to Charleston that night and slept on the way there. From there, they boarded the CLS Island Paradise run by the Pan-Carolinian Cruise Company and departed for a month long cruise that covered the Florida Keys, Virgin Islands, and East Carolina. While they were there, Jesse learned of a scheme to settle Cokie veterans there. As a decorated veteran, he was eligible for additional awards, and after some debate the couple applied for a land grant of 1,000 acres of prime sugar land. Their application was approved, and the couple arrived in Charleston just in time to receive the telegram. They settled down on the plantation and built it into a 5,000 acre cash cow. Rachel bore Jesse 5 children, 3 girls and 2 boys, true Cokies all. They agreed to raise their children in the Presbyterian Church, but Rachel managed to inject a not-insignificant amount of Spiritual Marxism and Social Darwinism into their beliefs. Although culture clash and arguments occurred, they were, by all accounts, madly in love with each other until the day they died. All of their neighbors, friends, and even some members of their families, acknowledged that they were the happiest married couple any of them ever knew. This quintessential love story would end with the two dying of old age in bed together within hours of one another. They were buried in a custom "couple's coffin" where they could remain together even after death and their funeral was attended by over 120 mourners who had been touched by this strange, beautiful couple. Their story is real proof that love can conquer all.

il_fullxfull.1163162024_iblm.jpg

Laborers at work on the Rutherford Plantation in East Carolina

5ada26b8a88980eb276bd4854d0e4601.jpg

First Presbyterian Church in Columbusburg, North Carolina, one week before the wedding

snake-handler15.jpg

Rachel's cousin Naomi receives her vision of the Angel of Destiny during the post-wedding service in Metropolis

DrinkingBeer.png

Jesse's brothers, father, and Uncle John Boy pose for a picture at the reception drinking illegal corn liquor. The picture would be used as evidence in a moonshining trial in 1920 that would be dismissed after a bottle of it wound up on the judge's desk.

Last edited: